A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: Pet peeves
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #934876 by DebBee
Sep 14, 2016 8:56pm
Thread
I can live with youse, yuns and those variations. They fill the same need in the language that y'all does.

It's too bad that English has lost the familiar pronouns. They are so useful in other languages.
Reply to: #934884 by crosscresent
Sep 15, 2016 12:30am
Thread
Oh I hope not
Reply to: #934817 by Topcollector
Sep 15, 2016 3:15am
Thread
When did "way" become an acceptable substitution for "far" as in, "There are way to many grammar errors written and spoken by professional writers and speakers?"
I hear and see it in commercials and news on the radio, TV and newspapers.
Reply to: #934834 by dingus dufus
Sep 15, 2016 4:24am
Thread
OMG, uh knew weigh two rite uhh clough.
Sep 15, 2016 5:11am
Thread
One of my coworkers--with an English degree from a prestigious university--always says "it's a mute point." Everyone he's talking to just kinda looks down at their notepads. I've tried to use "moot" in conversations with him, but he doesn't pick up on it.
Reply to: #934886 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 15, 2016 6:05am
Thread
HELP! I'm really confused now:

{{Definition: nauseous
If you’re nauseous, you feel queasy and sick to your stomach, and you might feel like vomiting. Could be the stomach flu or too much food before that roller-coaster ride.}}

This is how I always used it.
Reply to: #934941 by Topcollector
Sep 15, 2016 6:40am
Thread
In American English, dictionary definitions are defined by usage. The more that new usages are used, the more likely it is that dictionaries will pick up on this and make that their definitions. That's why the definition of 'literally' is literally being changed to mean 'figuratively'.
Reply to: #934951 by crosscresent
Sep 15, 2016 7:24am
Thread
Mike always says that he sat there and did something. Someone else sat there and did something. I'm kind of used to it now. But I'm always thinking he reminds me of a guest on Jerry Springer. He's going to sit there and go to the store. She sat there and yelled at him. He's going to sit there and go fishing. He's going to sit there and go to the kitchen.

I wish he would sit there and just sit there.

Buuuuuuuut.... can't change people, places, or things. Oh well.
Reply to: #934875 by DebBee
Sep 15, 2016 8:19am
Thread
We always round to the nearest dollar, with the tip closest to 20%. My pet peeve is the new tabletop payment devices with the automatic tip calculator. I am capable of calculating percentages, and I refuse to tip the added tax. I realized the machine is programmed to include the tax before the tip is calculated when I used the tip slider bar. Sneaky B's.
Sep 15, 2016 1:10pm
Thread
Irregardless. Not word.

In regards to. In *regard* to.

Salmon pronounced with the L not being silent. I corrected a co-worker once because it really makes someone sound ignorant and her response was "You're in the south now and that's how we say it." *smacks forehead* So I sent her a link to Webster's with the sound bite and told her to make sure to have her speakers on. She never said the word around me again.

People not using their fleebing signal lights.

People that run into you because they are too busy looking at their phone.

The 37th and 38th floors of my building. Those jerks will get on the elevator and pack in as many people as they can. Once a lady in front of me backed up so close that her hair was up against my face. ENOUGH! So the majority of the time, I'll use a different elevator bank and go up an additional floor and take the internal stairs so I don't have to deal with them.
Reply to: #934968 by thndrkttn
Sep 15, 2016 1:27pm
Thread
Check another dictionary on salmon. I was raised with the silent l, but salm-on is absolutely acceptable.
Reply to: #934938 by Rocklun
Sep 15, 2016 1:39pm
Thread
One of my coworkers--with an English degree from a prestigious university--always says "it's a mute point." Everyone he's talking to just kinda looks down at their notepads. I've tried to use "moot" in conversations with him, but he doesn't pick up on it.

Being he has such an impressive English degree maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point" which has different meanings depending on whether "moot" is used as a noun, verb or an adjective. Next time if the occasion arises why not beat him to the punch when the conversation goes down a rabbit trail and say, "It's both a mute and a moot point" and see if it generates some "Yakking It Up" laughter.
Reply to: #934970 by Frenchie
Sep 15, 2016 2:05pm
Thread
maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point"

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is one of those cases.
Reply to: #934955 by speedsquare
Sep 15, 2016 4:17pm
Thread
We don't have sales tax in Oregon, so I don't have to worry about that.

My hairdresser owns her own salon and I buy products from her. When she would run my debit card and then ask if I wanted to tip, I always tipped only on the haircut. I'm not going to tip on $40 of hair products.

KuKu
Reply to: #934968 by thndrkttn
Sep 15, 2016 4:58pm
Thread
People not using their fleebing signal lights.

I just know you meant to say blinkers and just forgot, the sound being their most important function, after all. OH, oh! You reminded me about the directionally impaired: right-hand side (as opposed to the left-foot side), backwards (no s required), forwards (same). So many peeves, so little time. I know these are finesse things, but while we're on the subject. . .
Reply to: #934938 by Rocklun
Sep 15, 2016 5:04pm
Thread
My friend once invented a game, similar in style to "bullshit bingo." You track egregious misuse of vocabulary, like the one you offer, and the more ridiculous, the greater the cachet. The only other rule was that they had to be oblivious that they were using the word incorrectly. She said you got more points the higher up the chain of command they were. She called them smugability points. Made meetings so much more interesting. And smuggley.
Sep 15, 2016 5:43pm
Thread
I think some of you would enjoy this book. It describes a real-life quest to find and fix typos, grammar problems, etc. on a trip across the U.S.
Gas shortage in the south on the way?
Sep 15, 2016 7:13pm
Thread
Re: Gas shortage in the south on the way?
Reply to: #934992 by crosscresent
Sep 16, 2016 7:04am
Thread
I didn't even know we had a pipeline there!
Reply to: #934989 by Rocklun
Sep 16, 2016 8:13am
Thread
Reply to: #934882 by photopam
Sep 16, 2016 9:17am
Thread
Badly
Sep 16, 2016 9:37am
Thread
Oh no, up go the gas prices!
Sep 16, 2016 12:52pm
Thread
Stopped at the station today and they were out of certain grades. Supplier issues it said. This is in KY.
Reply to: #934912 by Klaatu
Sep 16, 2016 4:37pm
Thread
When did "way" become an acceptable substitution for "far" as in, "There are way to many grammar errors written and spoken by professional writers and speakers?"
I hear and see it in commercials and news on the radio, TV and newspapers.

That would be one of my pet peeves.....the incorrect uses of the words "to" and "too".

Had to do it.

Klaatu barada nikto
Reply to: #934882 by photopam
Sep 16, 2016 4:40pm
Thread
The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world.

deniserows
alot
Reply to: #934969 by zoemomma
Sep 16, 2016 4:50pm
Thread
As an Alaskan who fishes, we never say the word sal-mon or sa mon or salmon. We refer to the genus Salmon by colloquial nouns that identify the species: Silvers, Pinks, Reds, Dogs, Chum, Humpies etc.

deniserows
with a sharp filet knife at the ready
Reply to: #935032 by MissMoon
Sep 17, 2016 5:03am
Thread
I can't seem to find 'gonna', 'wanna', doya', 'cuz', havta' and other words in my dictionary. I guess
I betta buy a new one, huh? Anyone else have dasame problem?
Reply to: #935032 by MissMoon
Sep 17, 2016 5:05am
Thread
Oh, and what about 'Donald Trump HE did such and such {substitute any name}}.
I better leave now or I won't get any boxing in today.
Sep 17, 2016 5:37am
Thread
We found out about it the day before it made breaking news. Just because we know somebody that works in the gasoline field. A whole week went by since this spill was originally found. Even he had just found out because they were trying to keep it on the down low. Thankfully I have a full tank of gasoline. But all of the gas stations on our street are out. I do live about a mile from the interstate so they would probably be the first to run out.
Re: Grad announcements
Reply to: #934617 by Crazyolis
Sep 17, 2016 8:33am
Thread
My dd graduated last June; and the whole process seemed like a money grab!
I mean, just to get a "senior portrait" into the yearbook cost $40. Of course, we were allowed to spend hundreds more if we wanted copies...
We had to pay for the outfit, but she couldn't decorate her hat or she wouldn't be allowed to walk. Seriously!?
And the announcements etc...wow.

We had to skip those. I emailed everyone to let them know. It was interesting to see which branches of the family felt that no announcement meant no acknowledgement. And I was surprised that one branch made an extreme effort to get out here to go to the ceremony.

I'm with you...high school grad is exciting and all, but college is the big accomplishment. Though I'm still not spending tuition or wedding type money on the party...