A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: Pet peeves
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #934817 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 12:30pm
Thread
it has become one of my top 2 pet peeves.

When did people forget that "then" doesn't mean the same thing as "than"?

Deer Topcollector!

Owe, aye no its knot Fare!
Sew watt will yew dew?

Hay, if aloud, aisle whey inn. Wear on you're sighed and where hear to prays yew, knot two berry ewe. Eye scents yew sea their is a reel laps inn sum currant righting stiles witch has maid a feint tern four the wurst. Are whee rite? Ore pleas worn us weather weir father aweigh off bass & mist the hole point of yaw lessen.

Weight, eye can here ewe awl grown!

Aye mite bee up schist creak butt aye doe nut want to bee band from cite.

weigh whey two much thyme on my hands . . . . .
Reply to: #934832 by FloridaFour
Sep 14, 2016 12:53pm
Thread
I think the bar is higher for published texts and people who work in communication, like reporters and news anchors and such. Even though I secretly cringe, spoken speech in informal settings is just that -- informal, so I consider that more my problem. Except maybe for nuke-yoo-lar, irregardless, real-a-tur and the like, which induces involuntary wincing, despite my best efforts.
Sep 14, 2016 12:54pm
Thread
FOR is not pronounced FER. Just stop it, please. This from a person who says that she is fixin' to do something instead of about to do something.
Sep 14, 2016 1:17pm
Thread
When has it become correct to say I will "try and" instead of "try to"? Drives me bonkers.
Sep 14, 2016 1:22pm
Thread
The next cat or dog we get I want to name Peeve. I will then have a pet peeve

And if we have another child we will name her Charity. Everyone donates to charity
Reply to: #934842 by turkey feathers
Sep 14, 2016 1:45pm
Thread
I always thought people were jinxing their kids when they named them Chastity. Awwww, don't do that! Also, if you name your kid heaven spelled backward, what are the implications? I just wouldn't Chance it. I also believe naming your kid any derivation of Angel is bound to be ironic. And I should know.
Sep 14, 2016 2:21pm
Thread
it has become one of my top 2 pet peeves.

One of my grammar pet peeves (and I have many) is the incorrect use of subject pronouns and object pronouns. For instance - "Me and her are going for a walk" or "Give the letterbox to her and I." I try to educate those who do this, such as my dear daughter who was taught correctly, by asking "Would you say "Us are going for a walk" or "Give the letterbox to we" which is usually met with a blank stare. So I continue to cringe.

Just as irritating to me is the popular use of the word "youse" instead of you which is very, very common in Pennsylvania.
Reply to: #934849 by Janila
Sep 14, 2016 2:31pm
Thread
One of my grown daughters constantly says "I seen". grr.
Reply to: #934850 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 2:37pm
Thread
I seen

This is singularly one of the most annoying things I can hear out of anyone's mouth. I worked with a fellow who said it frequently. I frequently replied "You saw?" I don't think he ever got it.
Sep 14, 2016 2:49pm
Thread
One of my grown daughters constantly says "I seen". grr.

Actually, that was my number one grammar pet peeve for a long time, I have decided to move on to new irritants!
Reply to: #934827 by Raven
Sep 14, 2016 3:44pm
Thread
fork-Ed

I say things like that. I know better but I do it anyway. I deliberately mispronounce things. Like I'll say ka nife for knife. Or Wed nes day because that's the way it's spelled.

Shiloh
Reply to: #934847 by Wry Me
Sep 14, 2016 5:10pm
Thread
I'm not kidding, but I have seen the name Jesus Santos. Now that is some hopeful thinking.
Sep 14, 2016 5:13pm
Thread
My sister's boyfriend says "I seen", "I ain't", "I ain't never", "Youse", "them don't...", the list goes on. He is a very nice guy, but my mother, who is a writer, cannot stand to talk to him. Lol. Even my sister teases him.
Sep 14, 2016 5:56pm
Thread
Not grammar, but the hillbilly speak that bothers me most is "coyote". My in-laws are from the Catskills and they say coy-ote. I realize that it is spelled coyote, but it is not pronounced coy-ote. I know that coyotes aren't usually part of everyday conversation in most circles, but with my in-laws they are. It makes me cringe every time. Gah!

Another one that was more amusing than irritating came from my sister-in-law. I texted her to ask if she wanted me to save some of my son's clothes for her son and she replied, "We don't mind hammie downs." Hammie downs!

These people also say, "hang on it for me," when they want someone to hold on to something. That one figuratively kills me every time.

Luckily, I have broken the husband of most of these. I am pretty sure we would be divorced by now if he insisted on saying things like, "Hang on my beer while I shoot that coy-ote."
Reply to: #934862 by LROSEM
Sep 14, 2016 6:03pm
Thread
When someone says 'axed' as in, I axed a question. I grew up with that in Famous Monsters magazine in its 'You Axed For It' photo section, but my grammar survived.
Sep 14, 2016 6:11pm
Thread
I can totally relate to what you are saying. Most of my father's family is from West Virginia. I love them dearly, but sometimes I can't take it when they hold a conversation around me!!! Good grief.
I am not sure where they get some of that stuff and I have to really think about what they are saying.
NOT SAYING THAT EVERYONE FROM WEST VIRGINIA IS THIS WAY. Just using my relatives as a example.

One of my biggest pet peeves is "ICING". It is not icening!!!! There is only on N is the spelling!!!!
Sep 14, 2016 6:13pm
Thread
See how icing gets me all worked up, I spelled one wrong!!!!!

There is only one N in the spelling!!!
Reply to: #934862 by LROSEM
Sep 14, 2016 6:16pm
Thread
"Hang on my beer while I shoot that coy-ote"

😰😰😰
Re: Pet peeves Re: Boxes in Antartic
Sep 14, 2016 6:18pm
Thread
Re: Pet peeves Re: Boxes in Antartic

I think these belong together.
Reply to: #934868 by cooledcoyote
Sep 14, 2016 6:23pm
Thread
I think you are safe. My husband has only shot one coy-ote, from the front porch, at night, with a flashlight between his knees while wearing flip-flops. He doesn't even drink and the coy-ote had it coming. (I say this as a recovering vegetarian).
Sep 14, 2016 6:24pm
Thread
AGREED!!!
Reply to: #934826 by Wry Me
Sep 14, 2016 7:32pm
Thread
My mother ruined me on this one. She always used nauseous incorrectly, and I was an adult before I realized it.
Reply to: #934829 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 7:32pm
Thread
I always use the calculator, because I'm terrified that my horrible math will short-change the server!
Reply to: #934849 by Janila
Sep 14, 2016 7:37pm
Thread
My son does this. "Me and Carlos are going to ____" It drives me crazy! I corrected him over and over when he was growing up, but I think he did it in defiance. Now he's an adult, so I think all hope is probably lost.

I can live with youse, yuns and those variations. They fill the same need in the language that y'all does. I think they're useful, if not totally correct.
Reply to: #934825 by Raven
Sep 14, 2016 7:58pm
Thread
"Spitting Image" annoys me.
But mostly because we grew up saying "Spit & Image". Makes more sense, too.

Buuuuuuut... can't change people, places, or things. So, whutevz.
Sep 14, 2016 7:59pm
Thread
When people type alot when it should be a lot. Allot means something else entirely...

I want to correct them.
And I have horrid spelling...

There, their, and they're is another.
Sep 14, 2016 8:01pm
Thread
Hey FF, my fiance says libary.

It was almost a no deal.
Reply to: #934834 by dingus dufus
Sep 14, 2016 8:02pm
Thread
Owe, aye no its knot Fare!
Sew watt will yew dew?

Hay, if aloud, aisle whey inn. Wear on you're sighed and where hear to prays yew, knot two berry ewe. Eye scents yew sea their is a reel laps inn sum currant righting stiles witch has maid a feint tern four the wurst. Are whee rite? Ore pleas worn us weather weir father aweigh off bass & mist the hole point of yaw lessen.

Weight, eye can here ewe awl grown!

Aye mite bee up schist creak butt aye doe nut want to bee band from cite.

weigh whey two much thyme on my hands . . . . .

Is that Chaucer?
Sep 14, 2016 8:24pm
Thread
Im pretty sure I screw up nauseus and nauseated.

Nauseous is an adjective.Nauseated is a verb. Here's the usage.
Reply to: #934865 by Una Marlee Sue
Sep 14, 2016 8:35pm
Thread
Most of my father's family is from West Virginia. I love them dearly, but sometimes I can't take it when they hold a conversation around me!!! Good grief.

Just pretend you've gone to another country and they're speaking another language. When in Rome....