A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: 2015
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #882330 by Nature Hikers
Jan 1, 2015 9:05am
Thread
Happy New Year! 2014 was a good letterboxing year for me, with plants and finds in some amazing places. Starting the New Year in Gatlinburg, TN, and already found 2 boxes at a neat antique place this morning. I can always count on letterboxing for good friends an, adventures, and a good time.
Re: Sundials: the next big threat
Reply to: #881990 by Dizzy
Jan 1, 2015 7:21pm
Thread
You can't make this up!

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Shiloh
changes on AQ :)
Jan 3, 2015 1:16am
Thread
Wow! nice job GT! I have not looked at everything yet, but so far there are some great changes! I really like how you changed the shapes of the tags so that when we print them out (I am guessing) in black and white we can tell the difference (also some of us have a hard time between blue/green and green/red)

I usually have a hard time with changes, but I am excited to get familiar with these
Thank you!
-PLP
Act of Kindness #28 The Picture of Shock and Awe
Jan 3, 2015 10:11am
Thread
I think it’s fair to say that there moments of 2014 were shocking and awing. But for me, there was one picture that shocked and awed me long before much of the current turmoil.

It was a picture from an article Yahoo ran. The article was regarding children from around the world at play. And the picture that shocked and awed me was a picture of four Ghana boys playing “soccer”. Most were shoeless, wearing mixed matched clothing, running in a field, kicking an empty cardboard box. And yet, they had the brightest smiles on their faces as they seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Oh, to be that happy, with an empty box is actually quiet humbling.

Then I remembered an article I had seen about indestructible soccer balls, and I thought damn if only I could get one to Ghana. Right???? Now I am reaching. How does one get a soccer ball to Ghana???

But I googled the article and believe it or not, I could! One World Futbol Project allows people to list campaigns so that people can buy this indestructible soccer balls for kids around the world, who live in war zones, refugee camps, impoverished nations, disadvantage communities and, yes, inner cities.

And what luck! The campaign “Giving In Motion” is a campaign for children in Ghana to play with this indestructible soccer ball. SCCCCCOOOORRREEEE!

And then I spotted a campaign called the “Gift of Play”. It is a campaign for homeless children living in shelters in San Francisco, my home town. Double SCCCCOORRREEEE!!!!

As these balls are not cheap, at $25 apiece for the campaigns, I bought only one for each of these two campaigns.
And who knows. Maybe the next time Yahoo runs an article of Ghana children playing or maybe even our own children playing, they will be will playing with a indestructible soccer ball that I purchased them.

Why not?

I got a soccer ball to Ghana.

Anything is possible.

csk
Re: changes on AQ :)
Reply to: #882665 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jan 3, 2015 11:21am
Thread
I really like how you changed the shapes of the tags so that when we print them out (I am guessing) in black and white we can tell the difference

I have to admit... printing problems hadn't even occurred to me. I was thinking more that just using the same stars were a problem for color-blind people. But I guess printing in black-and-white essentially turns everyone "color-blind" so I'm glad it fixed that problem too! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Act of Kindness #28 The Picture of Shock and Awe
Reply to: #882748 by Captain Slick Kitty
Jan 3, 2015 4:19pm
Thread
That's cool.
Re: Homemade gifts
Reply to: #881281 by S and D
Jan 6, 2015 3:11pm
Thread
hand carved address stamp

Thanks for the inspiration! I made one of these for my parents. I designed a calligraphic monogram and border, and then typed their name and address in a nice serifed font (12 point looked big when I printed it...), and then spent several days, and most of New Year's night with an X-acto carving those tiny serifed letters out of OZ.

The final result turned out better than I expected, and my mom was ecstatic. :-)

-TKV
Aveo Shift Console Removal
Jan 8, 2015 6:56pm
Thread
I can't find a car repair board so this is the best that I can do.

I have a Chevy Aveo with a problem in the shift console. I already know how to fix the problem but I can't get in. :-( I've removed the two screws near the front but it won't come off. I've read that it is just held on by clips but it won't pull up. I can feel it's holding near the center of the seat (between the two seats) but no screws there. Please help.
Re: Aveo Shift Console Removal
Reply to: #883692 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 8, 2015 7:35pm
Thread
Wish I could help. My husband also drives a Chevy Aveo. Great mileage, but the car has had constant repairs and problems the 5 years we have owned it!
Re: Tan: Aveo Shift Console Removal
Reply to: #883699 by The Vs
Jan 9, 2015 2:14am
Thread
I had an Aveo. Loved it. No problems during the six years I had him.
Sorry to hear others have different results.
His name was and still is Jack Lemmon. His new BFF kept the name. He even had his own letterbox. Now Oliver carries Jack's letterbox.
Re: Aveo Shift Console Removal
Reply to: #883692 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 9, 2015 11:06am
Thread
I've heard that with those clips you just have to pull harder. I was always taught that you shouldn't force things, so it's hard for me to do that when it feels like something will break. You may have to replace the plastic clips, but you may be able to get them at AutoZone or Checker instead of the dealership.

Good Luck,
TheKindlyVikings
Re: Tan: Aveo Shift Console Removal
Reply to: #883716 by Grrly Girl
Jan 12, 2015 11:35pm
Thread
Okay, I finally figured it out. I got it all fixed, so I'm going to let those of you who care to know about the solution.

There is a third screw. I found a diagram of a similar console (third diagram down) that shows where the screw is located. I had searched for the screw there before, but the cover over the screw is so well camouflaged that it would make a letterboxer proud to have done such a job. Since the console pictured was so similar to mine I searched again. Dust had filled the seam around the cover so I didn't see it until I got within a foot of it. But that's the secret to getting the cover off. :-)

Once I got the cover off I figured out what was wrong, fixed it, test drove my car then put the console back on. My car's all better now. :-D

I had an Aveo. Loved it. No problems during the six years I had him.

I've had this one 8 or 9 years now. I've had only the severity of problems that I've had with other cars. The man at the parts department at the dealer didn't seem to like this model & year though. Maybe I've just been lucky with this car.
I'm FAMOUS again!
Jan 14, 2015 11:08pm
Thread
Anyone remember a year or so ago when I got retweeted by Neil Gaiman? Well, my FAME has just doubled... tonight, I got retweeted by WIL WHEATON!

Yeah, I know, I live a sad little life...
Re: I'm FAMOUS again!
Reply to: #884465 by wassamatta u
Jan 14, 2015 11:12pm
Thread
Well, my FAME has just doubled... tonight, I got retweeted by WIL WHEATON!

Yeah, I know, I live a sad little life...

That's totally awesome! But the "Yeah, I know, I live a sad little life..." wasn't the re-tweet, was it? You put it in italics which makes me thing that was the tweet. If so, that's kind of sad....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #884467 by Green Tortuga
Jan 14, 2015 11:19pm
Thread
But the "Yeah, I know, I live a sad little life..." wasn't the re-tweet, was it?

Haha, no. I hadn;t considered that interpretation!
The tweet was an image of a meme currently floating around, of a kid named Carter eating a banana. I just took Carter, and put him in an appropriate setting...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7XnxRMCMAAoO4i.jpg:large
Reply to: #884469 by wassamatta u
Jan 14, 2015 11:57pm
Thread
You know, the thing I really love about that photo isn't even the banana. It's the sunglasses. That kid has class! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #884473 by Green Tortuga
Jan 15, 2015 12:25am
Thread
The hat and glasses combo did it for me. That's a cool kid!
Jan 15, 2015 6:29am
Thread
I read the Wikipedia article on Neil Gaiman because i dont know who he was, but in a few hours I won't remember who he is because he hasn't done anything I've seen.

Will Wheaton though .... He does the Tabletop show on Geek & Sundry (on YouTube). He was also on Star Trek: TNG. So congratulations!
Jan 15, 2015 6:56am
Thread
I recently had a Facebook post that was "liked" by Tortelvis... lead singer of the band Dread Zeppelin. I'm still walking on air....
Jan 15, 2015 6:56am
Thread
Well, my FAME has just doubled... tonight, I got retweeted by WIL WHEATON!

FAME!
Reply to: #884486 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 15, 2015 7:52am
Thread
Congrats, Wassa!

I first remember W W from Stand by Me. Will have to re-watch Neverland since I didn't notice he played John Darling.
Jan 15, 2015 9:44am
Thread
Will Wheaton though .... He does the Tabletop show on Geek & Sundry (on YouTube). He was also on Star Trek: TNG. So congratulations!

He's also made several appearances on The Big Bang Theory which is SOOO much better than those shows! *nodding* =)

-- Ryan
Jan 15, 2015 10:59am
Thread
That is SO cool! We were just watching him on Season 3 of Big Bang Thoery! Congrats!
Jan 15, 2015 1:12pm
Thread
Neil Gaiman...hasn't done anything I've seen.

You are a member of the Doctor Who group, so I assume you've seen both "The Doctor's Wife" and "Nightmare In Silver" with the Eleventh Doctor, both written by Gaiman.

K
Reply to: #884546 by Kelsung
Jan 15, 2015 9:50pm
Thread
You are a member of the Doctor Who group, so I assume you've seen both "The Doctor's Wife" and "Nightmare In Silver" with the Eleventh Doctor, both written by Gaiman.

That's probably why his name was semi-familiar. I see that he also wrote some of the episodes of "Babylon 5", which I watched. I guess I've seen some of the things he's written, but just those two series. (I took more time reading his bibliography this time.
Re: trailname change
Reply to: #446772 by dancingpecan
Jan 16, 2015 8:32am
Thread
I realize that I'm responding to a five-year-old thread, but I'm glad you didn't change your name. "Shiloh" was one of my top picks for a boy's name... great name... same root as "shalom"...

...but we had a girl, so....
Reply to: #884655 by Ralph Spoilsport
Jan 16, 2015 9:45am
Thread
...but we had a girl, so....

I know a girl named Shiloh. I think it's one of those androgenous names, like Terry, Robin, Dana,....
Reply to: #884673 by 55 Steps
Jan 16, 2015 10:15am
Thread
Agreed. We had a number of girl names but struggled for boy names. My favorites were surprisingly biblical: Shiloh and Caleb
Reply to: #884673 by 55 Steps
Jan 16, 2015 7:26pm
Thread
My real name is Dana and I'm female
Reply to: #884785 by Goofy girl
Jan 17, 2015 6:41am
Thread
My real name is Dana and I'm female

Yeah, but what she's saying is that those are names that are used for children of EITHER gender. I've known both male and female Tracys, Stacys, Terrys, Robins, Danas, and Kims.

Anyone remember the SNL skit "It's Pat!", where you never did find out whether Pat was male or female?