Oct 13, 2013 2:39pm
Thread
tigs just gits. *sigh*
Re: Alias check in
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #810154 by tiggermama
Oct 13, 2013 5:39pm
Thread
You can stig if you want. We won't tell.
Deleting Facebook
Oct 13, 2013 6:16pm
Thread
I have been completely obsessive about Facebook for the past few years. I am now officially over it.

Mainly, it doesn't help your self esteem or marriage.

"Well, why do THEY have a house like that?"
"Look how clean it is!"
"Her husband got her flowers!"
"They are on vacation, again?!?!"
"Oh, great. They reached their goal weight."
"Why can't we get a house yet?"
Blah blah blah.

When really... no one really knows the back story to all those photos and status updates.

They could be drowning in debt from that house. It might be one section of the house that is clean, where the photo was taken. The husband could be cheating on the wife. They might be on vacation, but not happy. Or maybe putting themselves in more debt. Maybe they starved themselves and are not healthy to be at that goal weight.

Mainly, I am just tired of comparing myself and feeling bad.

Why?

3/4 of my "Friends List" is fake. Fake as in.. I haven't seen these people since high school. You know?

It's just become a forum to brag...show off...have political posts...

Oh, and don't get me started on FB's newer privacy settings (or lack thereof) lately.

I just deleted the app off my phone and will be deactivating it on the computer.

I already feel free. I don't need to feel that compulsion to see the news feed all. the. time.

Has anyone else done this? Or know what I am saying?

I will also openly admit that even a therapist said FB is not really a good thing to have.
Barnes and Noble coupon
Oct 13, 2013 6:26pm
Thread
Just realized the B&N coupon I got in my email the other day says to share the coupon with everyone. So if there's anything you guys want from bn.com please use coupon code FRIENDNFAM for 20% off your order. Sorry, it expires tomorrow. I would have posted sooner if I'd read close enough that I was allowed to share it.
Re: Deleting Facebook
Reply to: #810211 by Bombshell
Oct 13, 2013 6:33pm
Thread
No way would I ever consider deleting my account. It's where I get all my Doctor Who and Star Trek news!! ;)

TG
Reply to: #810215 by Trekkie Gal
Oct 13, 2013 6:38pm
Thread
THAT stuff is understandable.. it's just all the drama from everyone else.

Maybe I should just delete my entire friends list. LOL!
Oct 13, 2013 6:39pm
Thread
Congratulations for doing this. I tried Facebook to see what all the talk was about and quit after 3 weeks. It didn't add anything to my life, and in fact took away something precious- my free time. (When I could have been with real friends or hiking after letterboxes.) -Rose
Reply to: #810217 by Rosmarinus
Oct 13, 2013 6:44pm
Thread
Thanks! ;) Very true!
Oct 13, 2013 6:54pm
Thread
If i did not have children and parents who live Very Far Away, i would probably do this.

. . . after all, i have AQ.

~tigs
Oct 13, 2013 6:55pm
Thread
One good reason to keep me from thinking about getting on FB. Hope you get a better perspective on your life instead of feeling like you have measure up to everyone. Probably feels good to get control of your life, good for YOU!
Reply to: #810224 by scouttrekkie
Oct 13, 2013 7:12pm
Thread
Thanks! :) I do. I feel free.
Oct 13, 2013 7:17pm
Thread
I deleted mine about 3 weeks ago. Very liberating and I don't miss 95% of what was on there...the other 5%: I have some out of state friends that have recently had babies and I miss seeing pics.
Reply to: #810224 by scouttrekkie
Oct 13, 2013 7:18pm
Thread
IT IS OFFICIALLY DEACTIVATED!!!! YAY!!!

"Hi, I'm Meredith and it's been 5 minutes since I have had a FB page. Just dealing with how life feels now."

HA!
Oct 13, 2013 7:22pm
Thread
I struggle with this too. From the very start, circa 2008, I set boundaries. I do not friend anyone I have not personally met. My friends are all adults, most of the time. I do not have friends in my town. Not all relatives are included. I have groups of real friends from different points in my life, living all over the world. It has been a godsend not to open daily emails with 20-30 pics. DH does not have an account. We do not want students and parents having 24/7 access to our life. I prefer email to FB messaging. I have no intention of using instagram, twitter and all the other possible time-wasters.
Reply to: #810236 by Bombshell
Oct 13, 2013 7:32pm
Thread
"Hi, I'm Meredith and it's been 5 minutes since I have had a FB page.

Hi Meredith! clapping, clapping

Old Blue
Reply to: #810236 by Bombshell
Oct 13, 2013 7:47pm
Thread
Yay for Meredith, welcome back to the real world!!
Oct 13, 2013 7:51pm
Thread
Congratulations. Facebook is a time sink and can be incredibly overwhelming (the people whose lives look perfect). I check in once a week or so, always making sure to log off when I leave, because a huge number of websites can know who you are (and other stuff about you) when you visit if you stay logged in to FB. You don't even have to have FB open. I have noticed that some of my friends, and some of my "friends," spend waaaaayyy too much time on FB. It's mostly not for me, and like many other things in life, moderation is the way to balance.
Reply to: #810246 by scouttrekkie
Oct 13, 2013 7:51pm
Thread
Yay for Meredith, welcome back to the real world!!

say the people who hunt for hidden things in the woods and have lists of pretend names in their phone contacts.
Reply to: #810251 by Wry Me
Oct 13, 2013 8:58pm
Thread
say the people who hunt for hidden things in the woods

Exactly it's bad enough on AQ, don't need FB too, lol. ;-)
Oct 13, 2013 9:43pm
Thread
I LOVE FACEBOOK! And I'm not ashamed to say it. I have mine set up so that each time I look at it I find something that's interesting or gives me a smile. I ditch or hide people that strike a nerve. I only follow feel good pages. By carefully "customizing" it, I've made my own all day talk show. I've kept in touch with people who've moved far away, and rekindled great relationships with long lost friends and family.

I will say that I look at it as a connection to people. I don't really have the personality to care about "stuff". I'll like a friends new car picture, because in the end, the people that I have on fb will just as enthusiastically like a picture of my sleeping dog.

I guess what I'm saying is facebook is what you make it. And ultimately, you have control over that.
Oct 13, 2013 10:30pm
Thread
I once read an article that said Facebook was causing a severe depression . . . because of all the reasons you cited. It gives people a lot of self esteem issues and people compare their lives to others and get depressed . . . I believe it.

But I also believe this . . . as crazy as it sounds, I tend to hear/see things exactly what I need to see/hear at the moment I need to hear/ see it on Facebook.

AND some when I need to seriously laugh because things are bad, I go to facebook, find a thread with funny posts and get the laughs I need. That helps too.

Facebook, it's a two sided coin.

CSK
Oct 13, 2013 10:52pm
Thread
Facebook has its merits. I love it for connecting me with old friends and relatives I don't get to see. I love a cheery message from a friend. I like being able to cheer others with a quick note when i see they are having a bad day.

But when you are having a tough time.... and it is causing you to compare your life with everyone's (basically screened and meaningless) status updates, it is time to unplug...

I see enough: "My life is perfect" updates..... to realise no one's life is perfect... because I know the people and I KNOW they are leaving out BIG details.

So I try to ignore the dumb quotes (quote are usually dumb, even misspelled)

I glean from it what is useful, and dump the rest.

But sometimes it really irritates me, too!!!!

Don't even get me started on political or religious agendas.... I dont read them. LOL!

On friends. My list is kinda short, and I know most well, an some are letterboxers. If I see too many boring posts all day long, or annoying ones, I may hide a person. I delete friends who are rude. So that helps. I have my page set up pretty well now. People who post too many cheery "Life is perfect" posts get hidden, too! :D
Reply to: #810280 by FloridaFour
Oct 13, 2013 11:01pm
Thread
Politics is kids playing Monopoly in D.C. with OUR lives...bleh!
Oct 14, 2013 12:38am
Thread
I deleted my Facebook account over three years ago. All it ever was was "who from high school that I haven't cared about for over two decades found me this week?" I somehow manage to still have a social life.

K
Oct 14, 2013 1:01am
Thread
There are times when deactivation has crossed my mind. Sometimes little things hurt me about the site. Usually, if someone deletes me as a friend or ignores my friend requests it makes me wonder why. All of that makes me a bit depressed. Sometimes nobody commenting also makes me feel down.

Basically, I say what is going on in my life in my status updates. My car needs rear brakes. Adopted cats. I am very stressed. That's about it. Then share some George Takei stuff or post something else humorous. Also, there is some casual gaming. I never share everything, because there are people that pass judgement. Like I rarely post political stuff, because I get angry reading other political posts on FB. I almost never comment on their posts because I want things to be peaceful.
There are things I wish I could talk to someone about to get thoughts, perspective, for therapeutic release, or just a hug. Sometimes I think about posting stuff like this is the situation with this or that to get that release, but I'm reserved. It is too voyeuristic.

Sadly though, if I did delete my Facebook, I'd lose touch with almost everyone. A friend deleted Facebook when something her ex (one of my good friends) did hurt her. I haven't communicated with her since she did that in 2011. That is why I stay; for my friends.

I am glad that you deleted FB though. Sounds like it was detrimental to your health and your friendships.
Reply to: #810281 by Okie Dog
Oct 14, 2013 4:27am
Thread
Politics is kids playing Monopoly in D.C. with OUR lives...bleh!

But using real money.
Re: Barnes and Noble coupon
Reply to: #810213 by Dizzy
Oct 14, 2013 4:57am
Thread
thanks!!!
Reply to: #810288 by Kelsung
Oct 14, 2013 6:18am
Thread
Mine was 50 years comong up this June. Most of those have either never lived out of their county of birth or are looking for an alumni donation. Took weeks to get off it.

Don't miss it. I have also had MANY friends whose regular emails were hacked. The common denominator...FB.
Re: The walking dead premiers tonight
Reply to: #810096 by turkey feathers
Oct 14, 2013 8:49am
Thread
What did everybody think?
Re: The walking dead premiers tonight
Reply to: #810342 by turkey feathers
Oct 14, 2013 8:58am
Thread
What did everybody think