A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: RW/Y
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #248224 by SubRosa
Jul 7, 2008 8:56pm
Thread
Well... those stencils and spray cans used to blaze the trees are certainly pretty scary. Maybe some trees just protest more than others! ;)

HPL
Re: Toad Hollow
Reply to: #249028 by zess the treehuggers
Jul 8, 2008 9:09am
Thread
Kitten and Falling Leaves,

Know that you both are in my prayers. I'm so sorry to hear that something devasting has befallen you. May God wrap you in his love and shower you with blessings you need.

Zinni
Storing Kids' Artwork
Jul 8, 2008 1:17pm
Thread
I'm just curious if anyone out there has any fabulous suggestions as to how to store the multitude of art that Princess Tata gives me. I recycle a LOT of what she produces, not that she knows that, but I still have a huge pile of "representative" pieces. I've thought of buying an accordian folder and storing it in there. I enjoy scrapbooking and thought I could put some of the smaller things in there (or take pictures and trash the originals???).

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
SJ Honey Bunny
Re: Storing Kids' Artwork
Reply to: #249327 by Woman to Blame
Jul 8, 2008 1:23pm
Thread
I read somewhere that an unused pizza box is a good way to keep things. You can write the kids name and grade on the side and stack them up.
Jul 8, 2008 1:25pm
Thread
we took a sheet of posterboard and folded it in half, then taped the edges and let her decorate the outside. This becme her portfolio, and it stores flat.

on recycling her work, you could make it a tradition to hold everything for one year, then at the end of the year, sit down with her and choose (an arbirtary number you set) to keep. the rest can go into the recycle bin. make sure you choose the "favorite" pieces of artwork, rather than the "best" pieces.

romana
Reply to: #249334 by Romana
Jul 8, 2008 1:32pm
Thread
Thanks. Those are great ideas!
SJHB
Jul 8, 2008 3:30pm
Thread
You might want to scan each piece of art into a jpeg and create a book of her work. Make 2 copies, one for her (a gift when she is leaving home) and one for the proud parents, or guardians. My brother's kids have to be the most photographed kids on the planet, and on their 1st birthday Mom and Dad had a hardbound book published to house all those adorable mugs. Whatever you decide, start as soon as you can, because time has a way of getting past before you realize it.
Jul 8, 2008 3:58pm
Thread
I decided to buy an under the bed storage container for each of my boys. They're plastic and have rollers on them..........nice and flat, but large enough to hold the biggest of masterpieces!..............and many of them!!!
Good Luck!
Ponder
hi
Jul 8, 2008 6:51pm
Thread
do not do covered bridge 10 could not find it
Re: hi
Reply to: #249490 by gopcymca
Jul 8, 2008 7:30pm
Thread
do not do covered bridge 10 could not find it

What in the world does this mean ???

And if it means you can not "find" a box .... then this is not really the way to do it!
Reply to: #249522 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Jul 8, 2008 7:40pm
Thread
Gotta agree with TVFC on this. Not the way to do it. Nor does the fact that you couldn't find it mean that others should "not do".

If you suspect there are issues with a particular box, contacting the placer privately is your best bet.

preboxed
Jul 8, 2008 8:03pm
Thread
We framed our favorites and hung them up as artwork. I still have a few from when my kids were really little and I get comments on them all the time. When they were in K to like, the 3rd grade, our entire kitchen was an art gallery with their stuff on the walls, but sooner or later you have to start getting rid of them or it will overwhelm you. The ones you do keep? Maybe get one of those nice sized tupperware style storage boxes.....

Jaxx
Jul 8, 2008 8:35pm
Thread
I actually did that. We have an accordian folder for each kid for each year that they were still doing that kind of stuff. Sometime during the summer, we'd get the box with all the stuff they did over the previous school year, and they had to select only as much as would fit into a large accordian folder to keep. The only use they've ever really gotten was when the younger one wanted to see what his big brother's second grade state project or 4th grade Colonial project looked like.

DK will now let me use some of his art for LTCs. I haven't listed any yet, but he's going to do a stamp, and I'll cut up the paintings into LTC sized peices. I think it will look cool.

Mariette
(eventually, all they bring home from school is requests for money ;)
Reply to: #249580 by SubRosa
Jul 8, 2008 8:58pm
Thread
We scan a lot of stuff, have a rubbermaid bin for each child that is only about half the size of the ones that go under a bed and the rest of the stuff we use as wrapping paper.
Jul 8, 2008 9:02pm
Thread
There are letterboxers from all over the world on here. The majority of us have no clue which covered bridge you are referring to. There are probably over 50 covered bridge boxes listed, assuming you were after a traditional box. Even if we did know which box it is, it wouldn't pertain to the majority of us since we live in different geographic locations.

You should mark it as an attempt, which lets the planter know you couldn't find it and others considering the box know that you had a problem. A nice note to the planter that explains your troubles is helpful. That way they can check on it to see if it has gone missing. Boxes go missing sometimes and no one knows until they can't be found. Also, in my case often, I simply can not find it, even though it's there. Just because I couldn't find a box, doesn't mean the next person can't either.

If you mark it as an attempt, even those boxers that don't see a post will know that it's a possibility that the box is missing. You can also leave a box comment explaining your troubles. I would be polite and as detailed as possible, always taking into consideration it could be that you were in the wrong location.
Reply to: #249590 by Halo
Jul 8, 2008 9:42pm
Thread
Quote Also, in my case often, I simply can not find it, even though it's there.

You and me both, Halo. When I was a very new boxer, I assumed that if I couldn't find the box it wasn't there. Now, with a few more finds to my name, I assume that the box is there and I have just not been able to find it. Sure enough, on a recent boxing trip I had a "doi" moment and looked on the right side of the trail (for some time, I might add!) while the box was happily sitting there on the left side of the trail. I'd just misread the clues. Fortunately, I kept looking, took another peek at the clues, and found the box.

That moment was actually part of a larger "doi" week. I was sure that a library book was missing when I was actually just looking under the wrong call number. The reference librarian was kind enought to point it out to me. ;)

There's some good advice about unfound boxes on this thread - don't assume the box isn't there just because you can't find it, and box issues are often better addressed through sending a note to the placer/logging an attempt.
Reply to: #249609 by Angel and Demon
Jul 8, 2008 9:46pm
Thread
I had a "doi" moment and looked on the right side of the trail (for some time, I might add!) while the box was happily sitting there on the left side of the trail.

I strangely seem to have these moments all the time... I just assume it means it'll take me 32 years to learn my L from R, rather than 31. It's so bad, I've actually taken to calling them my right, and my other right.

HPL
Reply to: #249612 by Hufflepuff Lost
Jul 8, 2008 9:49pm
Thread
Wow, glad I'm not the only directionally-challenged letterboxer out there! :)
Reply to: #249609 by Angel and Demon
Jul 8, 2008 9:53pm
Thread
I've had those "head-smacking" moments too. "Oh! It's over there!"

But I had someone send me a message once that they couldn't find one of my boxes.
>They actually told me that maybe I had gotten my compass reading wrong!<

*sigh* ya know...I did have more than 25 finders on this box before their attempt.

The sad thing is, when I checked on it for maintenence, it really was missing. I had to retire it

=0p
Road Trip!!!
Jul 8, 2008 9:54pm
Thread
I will leave tomorrow for a week on an RV trip with my grandparents, sister, and cousin. It's gonna be a blast. I will be offline, for sure, for one week. So, if you send me a letter or try to contact me, I will not be responding until the 16th or possibly even letter.

~BOB~
Reply to: #249612 by Hufflepuff Lost
Jul 8, 2008 9:55pm
Thread
I just assume it means it'll take me 32 years to learn my L from R

Amen, though I got quite a few years on ya!

I've never in my life thought I had dsylexic tendancies, *until* I sit down and write clues. My notes SAY R...what do I type? L... In real life I'm sure I'm not dsylexic...never had a single person give my that feedbact, but local boxers KNOW:

If you print my clues within 24 hours of my posting them (usually late at night) you're crazier than I am!

Then there's "pre's old compass"....the stuff of legends I'm haunted by to this day and that local boxers taunt me with (for good reason! The dang thing worked its way to a full 180 degrees off)...while signing into logbooks after finallllly finding the box. Just this weekend I read one logbook entry that said, effectively: Must have had pre's old compass when looking for this one.

DOI - That's Don't Out-Yer Ignorance, right, a? ;-)

snort ™
pre
Reply to: #249615 by Sits N Knits
Jul 8, 2008 9:57pm
Thread
Quote But I had someone send me a message once that they couldn't find one of my boxes.
>They actually told me that maybe I had gotten my compass reading wrong!<

Well, the 25 finders suggests that they're wrong in this instance, but it's not entirely out of the question - right, pre?
Reply to: #249617 by preboxed
Jul 8, 2008 10:00pm
Thread
Quote Then there's "pre's old compass"....the stuff of legends I'm haunted by to this day and that local boxers taunt me with (for good reason! The dang thing worked its way to a full 180 degrees off)...while signing into logbooks after finallllly finding the box. Just this weekend I read one logbook entry that said, effectively: Must have had pre's old compass when looking for this one.

That compass even made it into an early "draft" of our Rocky Mountain patch. Did Aljan do that on purpose?
Reply to: #249617 by preboxed
Jul 8, 2008 10:01pm
Thread
Quote must have been pre's old compass

And be careful to not have a pen in your hand when you take a reading. The metal clip can throw it off.

=0)
Reply to: #249622 by Sits N Knits
Jul 8, 2008 10:08pm
Thread
I got SO paranoid before I FINALLY figured out pre had a bad compass I practically stripped down nakkid there on the trail taking bearing, after bearing, only to be WRONG again! The having found AND placed, combined, *well* over a hundred, probably more like two hundred boxes using a compass at that point did my head in.

That compass even made it into an early "draft" of our Rocky Mountain patch. Did Aljan do that on purpose?

Yes, uh huh sure, yeppers. Either that or it's the Rocky Mountain High..or Pie... that outside rim DOES look like pie. I think she just got distracted thinking about it!

snurckle ©
pre
with a magnetic personality....I guess....
Jul 8, 2008 10:09pm
Thread
I have right/left issues too. And just general directional issues, mostly related to my reading skills. Once I searched for 45 minutes and just couldn't figure out WHY I couldn't follow the clues. It was because I was in the WRONG cemetery. LOL!!!

Quote If you print my clues within 24 hours of my posting them (usually late at night) you're crazier than I am!

Ditto. :)P
Reply to: #249624 by Halo
Jul 8, 2008 10:12pm
Thread
Oh Halo, that sounds SO much like something I would do. I often think how ironic it is that I've taken up this hobby that involves finding things.

Soooo glad I'm not the only one! Pre's directional challenges resolved themselves with a new compass. Mine are innate.

a.
Reply to: #249624 by Halo
Jul 8, 2008 10:13pm
Thread
And just general directional issues

Psst, Halo! Wanna know the worst part? I have a Bachelors Degree, with honors, in Geography and about 10 years of international travel experience with not a single significant "getting lost" issue.

Basically: I'm such dork. A proud dork. But a dork in any case...

pre ;-)
Reply to: #249626 by Angel and Demon
Jul 8, 2008 10:18pm
Thread
Quote I often think how ironic it is that I've taken up this hobby that involves finding things.

Hee hee!!!!!!!!!! I know! I can't ever find ANYTHING, even when it's right there on the table shining in the sunlight like a beacon. You're think after 250 finds some of the LBing skills would begin to ingrain. Nope! I'm still lost most of the time! But I get to see even more interesting things that way...yep...that's what I tell everyone anyway!
Reply to: #249630 by Halo
Jul 8, 2008 10:23pm
Thread
Quote I'm still lost most of the time!

Ditto!

Quote But I get to see even more interesting things that way

I'm convinced that it's the only real way to find stuff you're not looking for. ;)