A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: Braces-teeth pulled out.
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #247488 by LeafEater
Jul 3, 2008 2:16pm
Thread
I'm 47, so my teeth were pulled out long ago — but those braces gave me a beautiful smile!

Now, don't freak out, but they have to numb your mounth with a shot. Even at 47, when the dentist has to give me a shot, I close my eyes. You don't have to watch but you will feel a few "pricks" of the needle. Dentists/orthos are really good at doing this, so though you can't grit your teeth, just bear the first prick or two. Any others they have to do a few minutes later, you won't be feeling. Eventually, it will be really numb.

Just know that lots of us have experienced this, whether at 11 or a little older. It's not lots of fun but have your favorite milkshake afterward!

Maybe you could plant a box about this, or maybe we could all participate in a postal, in which we could write down our experiences.

KuKu
Reply to: #247480 by KuKu
Jul 3, 2008 2:24pm
Thread
Leaf Eater - my experience and those of my daughters was the same as Kuku. So, follow her advice:

Allow yourself some downtime to recover afterward and you'll be just fine (and get a milkshake!)

Definitely, take care of yourself. And, you GOTTA get the milkshake or ice cream. The cold actually feels so good! :D
Reply to: #247491 by Trekkie Gal
Jul 3, 2008 3:05pm
Thread
It is for all ages. Laney Bug is 4 years old.
Reply to: #247491 by Trekkie Gal
Jul 3, 2008 3:07pm
Thread
If you are 11, you are not supposed to have an AQ account. This is a 13+ website.

Watch out! It's the (childless) AQ police!

What if LeafEater's mom or dad is supervising her visit and conversation? There are plenty of other kids out there who have accounts.

My daughter is 7 and has an account. Wilst thou arrest me?

*S
Reply to: #247519 by BrewHiker
Jul 3, 2008 3:09pm
Thread
Yes. My mom always comes boxing with me, even though she doesnt have an account. She watches everytime i do stuff. Thanks anyway.
Jul 3, 2008 3:24pm
Thread
Quote Wilst thou arrest me?

Don't even think of giving wassa another opportunity for fake cops . . .

KuKu
Reply to: #247525 by KuKu
Jul 3, 2008 3:25pm
Thread
Don't even think of giving wassa another opportunity for fake cops . . .

Somebody call? heheheeeee
-wassamatta_u
Reply to: #247526 by wassamatta u
Jul 3, 2008 3:26pm
Thread
Quote Don't even think of giving wassa another opportunity for fake cops . . .

Somebody call? heheheeeee
-wassamatta_u

AUUUUGGGHH!

KuKu
Reply to: #247518 by LeafEater
Jul 3, 2008 5:26pm
Thread
It is for all ages.

No, I'm sorry, but it's not. Your parent can create an account for you, but you can not be allowed access to it until you are 13 years old. And you definitely should not be on the boards. Read the second line of this: http://www.atlasquest.com/aboutlb/wiki/browse.html?gCatId=29#q99

Laney Bug is 4 years old.

Something tells me she isn't using her account herself.

TG
Reply to: #247518 by LeafEater
Jul 3, 2008 5:29pm
Thread
According to the site owner Ryan Carpenter you are supposed to be at least 13 to operate your own account. Some parents, myself included, have created accounts for underage kids so they have a place for finds to be logged but the parents usually do the logging.

So, no, the site is not for all ages. I knew you were young but didn't know you were that young.

Knit Wit
Jul 3, 2008 5:34pm
Thread
Quote What if LeafEater's mom or dad is supervising her visit and conversation?

What if they're not?

Most users on here make the assumption that the person they are responding to is "old enough to be here". There have been recent discussions that have gotten nasty enough that I would hate to think of someone responding angrily toward a kid that young.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #247564 by knit wit
Jul 3, 2008 5:58pm
Thread
What if LeafEater's mom or dad is supervising her visit and conversation?

There's no evidence that this is the case, however, and if her parents are supervising her visit and conversations, they're doing a pretty lousy job of it. But it doesn't really matter--the message boards are not appropriate for children under 13, so I've frozen LeafEater's account. When she's 13, I can thaw it again.

-- Ryan
Re: Disney World-----9 days left!
Reply to: #247312 by Shadohart
Jul 3, 2008 6:31pm
Thread
Oh no! The peddlers are gone? Is nothing sacred?!?!?!?!

DebBee
Reply to: #247469 by LeafEater
Jul 3, 2008 8:48pm
Thread
It doesn't hurt when they pull them out. (This is coming from someone who has had at least 5 teeth pulled.) However, when they put the shot to numb your mouth it huts for about 6 seconds and then it's over. Afterwards, when it numbs down, I feel pain. So, be sure to bring some painkilling medicine (I had to learn that the hard way)... =)

~BOB~
Reply to: #247574 by Green Tortuga
Jul 3, 2008 9:24pm
Thread
Quote When she's 13, I can thaw it again.

Thank you. Like Knit Wit, I agree that the assumption is that anyone using the boards is older and this young person might have been on the receiving end of something not deserved due to their age.

And yep, I'm the mom who's STILL aggravated because her son's "friends" told him to lie about his age to gain access to a 13 and above site. And one of the friends even confronted me with "Well, I do it!" ....... Like that make is supposed to make it ok with ME!??!?! Who's the adult here!?!?!

Ok, getting off the soapbox and LOLing now ;-))

Mama Fox, who IS the parent and my kids better not forget it!! ;-))
Reply to: #247652 by The Little Foxes
Jul 3, 2008 9:35pm
Thread
And yep, I'm the mom who's STILL aggravated because her son's "friends" told him to lie about his age to gain access to a 13 and above site. And one of the friends even confronted me with "Well, I do it!" ....... Like that make is supposed to make it ok with ME!??!?! Who's the adult here!?!?!

I remember you telling that story. It's so funny! =D You made the right decision!

~BOB~
Jul 3, 2008 9:42pm
Thread
And yep, I'm the mom who's STILL aggravated because her son's "friends" told him to lie about his age to gain access to a 13 and above site. And one of the friends even confronted me with "Well, I do it!" ....... Like that make is supposed to make it ok with ME!??!?! Who's the adult here!?!?! ... Mama Fox, who IS the parent and my kids better not forget it!! ;-))

You forgot to sign it Meanest Mom on AQ! ;) Or was it in the world? I forget! Keep up the good work mom!!
FFQ
Reply to: #247656 by firefighterfamily
Jul 3, 2008 10:01pm
Thread
Quote You forgot to sign it Meanest Mom on AQ! ;) Or was it in the world? I forget! Keep up the good work mom!!
FFQ

It's both.... first AQ, then the World, next stop..... Meanest Mom in the UNIVERSE... ;-))

Thanks ;-))

Mama Fox
Reply to: #247574 by Green Tortuga
Jul 3, 2008 10:53pm
Thread
Thanks for putting out the flame before it got too big.

Shiloh
Reply to: #247658 by The Little Foxes
Jul 4, 2008 6:10am
Thread
You're just lucky my mom doesn't have an AQ account! (just kidding!)
Happy 4th of July!!!
Jul 4, 2008 6:11am
Thread
We hope everyone has a fantastic time with friends and family today! Get out there and celebrate your freedom!!! :o)

The Merry Pranksters
Jul 4, 2008 6:18am
Thread
Ya know what warms the cockles of my heart.......when my 2 girls, 43 and 33 go out, see a kid misbehaving and saying to one another..."you know what mom would have done to us if we'd behaved that way?"

Smilin' and noddin'
Reply to: #247711 by zoemomma
Jul 4, 2008 6:35am
Thread
Quote Ya know what warms the cockles of my heart.......when my 2 girls, 43 and 33 go out, see a kid misbehaving and saying to one another..."you know what mom would have done to us if we'd behaved that way?"

What really warms my heart is when we're with our daughter and granddaughters--and our daughter nips misbehaviour in the bud. We wouldn't have put up with that, and now she doesn't put up with it. It just makes trips to Discovery Place or the Nature Museum (or even the ER) just so much easier on everyone.

BTW--I had 4 teeth pulled for my braces (back when I got them at 30). It's no big deal, but be sure to follow all the doctor's instructions.
Jul 4, 2008 7:14am
Thread
Quote It's both.... first AQ, then the World, next stop..... Meanest Mom in the UNIVERSE... ;-))

OK, Please, tell me how? Nah, I plan on being the meanest mom in the world as well...there seem to be a lot of us! I am already telling DS that I am NOT his friend (I'm his mother, and that is a much more important role!) And he's not even born yet;)

Ryan, thanks for freezing that account. I teach kids this age, and it drives me nuts when they have myspace accounts and other such online access...they tell me their parents know about it, and I tell them that if they tell me they are on one of these sites, I am going to find their account and tell Tom!
BTW, I suspect our other, now non-sports affiliated, young user of being about 12...not hatin', just bein' the caring person that I am...must be that teacher thang!
Reply to: #247733 by Idhunna
Jul 4, 2008 7:23am
Thread
another btw...new user...leafmonkey
hmmm...interesting
Reply to: #247737 by Flip21
Jul 4, 2008 7:29am
Thread
Yeah, I saw that: LeafEater and Funky Monkey 12... hmm...

~BOB~
Hi
Jul 4, 2008 7:33am
Thread
Hi, Catmando here. Happy 4th
Re: Braces now Mean Parenting 101
Reply to: #247733 by Idhunna
Jul 4, 2008 7:38am
Thread
Quote and I tell them that if they tell me they are on one of these sites, I am going to find their account and tell Tom!

You go girl!!!

The site I wouldn't let my son use was a gaming site that was rated PG-13 for violence (it was compared to LOTR). The site had a very nice "For Parents" page that explained in detail their reasoning for rating it PG-13. And I chose to respect the site owners wishes. And it took maybe 10 minutes to read that page and navigate around the site a bit. I'm sure AQ age restrictions are similarly set out - but parents are either chosing to let their children "lie" about their ages (like my son's classmates), or don't know what's going on. I've never been to myspace (tried once to see my brother's cat's website (really!) and my computer froze up - it's really old (the computer, not the cat ;-)), so I don't know how they handle communicating age restrictions.

I know the websites my kids visit. It aint' that hard and my kids are younger, so less inclined to be "sneaky" - but sneakiness ain't ever gonna start in my house! There are so many fun age appropriate site out there - they keep my kids plenty busy!

Speaking of sneaky - I had one of my 5 year old students look me straight in the eye yesterday and lie to me - twice. It's happened before with other kids and it will happen again - but it always bums me out (and pisses me off!). I gave this kid several opportunities to "fix" what he had done privately, and he never did. He stole some toys from our classroom - and he comes from a very privileged home - it's not like he doesn't have any toys........ and he encouraged two other boys to do the same thing (they declined to participate). I managed to convey to his mom (very nicely) what was going on - so we'll see if the toys are returned on Tuesday or not.......

I digress and ramble - better get to carving some stamps for a gather tomorrow - woo hoo!!!

Mama Fox, Meanest Preschool Teacher in NC
Jul 4, 2008 8:09am
Thread
YOU GO GIRL!!!!! YOU TELL EM'!!!! Have you noticed that all the sitcoms and cartoons now-a-days depict 'dumb' parents and the kids running the household?
Reply to: #247737 by Flip21
Jul 4, 2008 8:11am
Thread
another btw...new user...leafmonkey
hmmm...interesting

Fortunately, Ryan will be able to tell if it came from the same IP address, so if it is the same child, he can block it again.

TG