Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!

Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #973898 by Elle
Apr 20, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
Well THIS thread has certainly garnered some interesting observations!!!

My 2cents, which I'm sure in 2019 standards is probably 25 or 50 cents by now...

Should W&P find one of my boxes? That's nice...
Should no one find any of my boxes? Oh well...
Should boxers decide not to find one of my boxes because I decided for some specific reason not to include a logbook? Their loss for not stamping a really nice carve...
Drivebys? This is a findy game, I think they're fun, and old school didn't have any rules...

Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES... look under rocks, maybe there might be a box there... oh wait, Connecticut is that way...

Did I miss anything?
Reply to: #974348 by Early Risers
Apr 20, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
Growing up, I had a next-door neighbor who kicked their kids out of the house the day they turned 18. No excuses. No money. Just pack your bags, you're an adult now, you're outta here.

Hah! I had the same neighbor!
Reply to: #974368 by Honeychyck
Apr 20, 2019 12:35pm
Thread
No logbook? No problem, we're being bitten by mosquitoes / ticks are attacking us / the rain would have destroyed it / snow is COLD, anyway.

The box should have a logbook anyway. If the finder doesn't wanna bother with stamping in for whatever reason, fine.
Reply to: #974372 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 20, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES... look under rocks, maybe there might be a box there... oh wait, Connecticut is that way...

lol, in reality you really can't do that in Connecticut because there are so many rocks. There may be a lot of boxes, but there are a zillion more places to hide them.
Reply to: #974372 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 20, 2019 1:18pm
Thread
Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES

That's how I run my Letterboxers Egg Hunt every year. You have the option of going Dartmoor style with no clues at all, or you can have cryptic clues written by Not A Lone Wolf Anymore for help.

Warrior Woman
likes to keep it fun
Reply to: #974375 by Kirbert
Apr 20, 2019 1:26pm
Thread
Well, some don't ~shrugs~
Apr 20, 2019 2:11pm
Thread
The box should have a logbook anyway. If the finder doesn't wanna bother with stamping in for whatever reason, fine.

Not that there's any reason to care whether I like an idea or not but................I like this idea!
Reply to: #974361 by Rocklun
Apr 20, 2019 2:14pm
Thread
But, heck, thanks for letting me know that I'm a lazy cheap boxer because I deliberately chose not to put a logbook in a handful of my boxes.

Nono, you're only lazy & cheap on the days you plant boxes with no logbooks. Otherwise you're a workaholic spendthrift.
Apr 20, 2019 2:19pm
Thread
The box should have a logbook anyway

Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??
Reply to: #974385 by MissMoon
Apr 20, 2019 2:50pm
Thread
Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??

Even I'm willing to draw the line on that one. :) On the other hand, when boxing first came to Illinois, that was how it was done. Tho the most I remember in a series was 10 boxes. Logbook in every one.

GrayFamily5 again who made that series. And the last one in the series went missing pretty fast, so the penultimate logbook became the last. I'll be the first to admit that 10 (or even 9) logbooks in a loop got boring. Quickly. But I persevered! :)
Apr 20, 2019 3:16pm
Thread

It was suggested that boxes without logbooks be identified with an icon for the purists to avoid. Conversly, should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?
Reply to: #974387 by dingus dufus
Apr 20, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
Best. Reply. Yet. 🤩😂
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 20, 2019 3:41pm
Thread
ALL of the stamps I found were store bought. very disappointing. My experience was that the clues were difficult to follow and boxes were often missing. I did charity walks, which seems to be the way you can get your 100 stamps to get "real" clues. I found many many other boxes, but had no idea what they were or where to log them or what they were called. It all felt chaotic to me. And don't get me started on those wild ponies! Be very careful opening a bag around them, they think FOOD and run straight at you!
Apr 20, 2019 3:44pm
Thread

I planted a 12-box series and put a logbook in all 12 boxes. At first I had only 2-4 out at a time, in a rotation. Now I have them all out, year round. I left all of the logbooks in all 12 boxes.
Apr 20, 2019 4:17pm
Thread

Now that I think about it, when I find a box without a logbook (and it's not part of a series), I tend to assume it used to have a logbook, but the logbook became soaked and was removed by someone. Happens all the time.
Apr 20, 2019 5:53pm
Thread
Conversly, should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?

Good one.

Nah, I'll just stamp in the first, middle, and last. And the middle depends on how many boxes in the series. :)

Works for me.
Reply to: #974216 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 20, 2019 6:49pm
Thread
Damn. Pretty sure I've been in every Dead Horses thread since the dawn of time. Frankly, I thought it would happen sooner.
Reply to: #974378 by Warrior Woman
Apr 20, 2019 9:12pm
Thread
I’ve done this with my indoor holiday events. Finding the boxes were so much more difficult and participants sometimes asked for clues. They have all been good sports and rewarded with top notch carves from around the country. In a nutshell, I create a room with a theme and cleverly hide the stamps. I say there are x number of stamps in there. Good luck!
Reply to: #974374 by Kirbert
Apr 21, 2019 7:21am
Thread
Hah! I had the same neighbor!

Hey, then your neighbor was my dad!

~DarkZen - financially responsible and living independently since 18.
😎
Clean up missing/un-found letterboxes
Apr 24, 2019 6:32am
Thread
I would love it if everyone who has ever placed a LB would review all of them, check on them, and if they are not currently available, RETIRE THEM!
It's getting to the point where LB-ing is losing its appeal due to all the non-existent boxes that are still listed. Lately, I'm finding more listings for boxes that haven't been found in several years- more than those that are still active.
I wonder if there's a way to send a message to all members asking them to do so.
PLEASE update all of your boxes, for the sake of keeping this a fun and exciting hobby. Thanks!
Re: Clean up missing/un-found letterboxes
Reply to: #974490 by Grapenuts
Apr 24, 2019 6:43am
Thread
So I can't plant around me, because there is no one active. I plant my boxes states away and can't check on them. I have often found some that haven't been found in several years and sometimes, I've even found boxes that were listed as missing but weren't. I think it's fine to retire something you know is gone, but I'm not willing to do so until I verify for myself and even then, I've had two boxes now in a cemetery be missing for over a year and somehow turn up on the other side of the cemetery. So even retiring isn't a sure fire bet.
Apr 24, 2019 6:58am
Thread
I could do this if I had only 10 local plants, but I've planted quite a few boxes, most of which are on hikes. I do check on my boxes when I'm in the area, but checking on all of my boxes just to see if they're still there would be a full-time job.

For the most part, I rely on finders to let me know a box's status and to help maintain boxes with new baggies, a new logbook, if the old one is full, etc. Isn't that part of the expectation, since the planter is providing the finder with free entertainment? I certainly do that for the boxes I find.
Apr 24, 2019 9:05am
Thread
I concur with most of what others have said, except I'm not the only boxer in my area. There are three others within a 75 mile radius.

However, once they have found my boxes, it may be a while before anyone else stops to find them. We are not near an interstate highway.

I do check on some of them every year, and log that maintenance, but I can't do all of them every year. Besides that, just because it was there yesterday when I checked doesn't mean something didn't happen to it this morning. There's always a risk of failure.
Apr 24, 2019 2:57pm
Thread
Did this really need to be cross posted?
Reply to: #974521 by Baqash
Apr 24, 2019 3:00pm
Thread
Did this really need to be cross posted?

I was just about to say the same thing. There are two discussions going on. Not necessary.
Reply to: #974502 by Maude
Apr 24, 2019 5:24pm
Thread
I do check on some of them every year, and log that maintenance, but I can't do all of them every year.

I think that this is the way to do it; just check on a few a year. And make sure that you get by all of them every few years, at least those close to you. The ones not close to you will need to be checked on by boxers close by.

Not that I have checked on all of my boxes over the past five years, but it is a goal. I have checked on some of them over this time.
Reply to: #974533 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 25, 2019 7:13am
Thread
I have a better idea. Y'all get on a group party bus and get on down here. Let me know in the comments how much you love my boxes, mail me any full logbooks, replace baggies/logbooks as needed and let me know when you'll be here, so we can meet up in a restaurant for Tex Mex. Plan on 5 days, just to drive across Texas and fight over who gets to sleep while someone else drives through El Paso.

A girl can dream. . .

No offense to El Pasoeans. I think. I won the toss.
Reply to: #974551 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 1:29pm
Thread
Nuts. I forgot to cross-post.
Apr 25, 2019 8:56pm
Thread
should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?

back in the day, and i guess there are still a few diehard purists out there, all letterboxes had a logbook or were not considered a letterbox. i can remember tearing pages out of my logbook simply so that i could stamp my signature and leave it in the box, joining all the other loose signature papers in there.

course back then there were very very few series. i believe i have a few series out there that have a logbook in every box. i could care less if everyone is stamped in. in fact it does seem rather redundant. but the truth is that i am too lazy, or too busy, to go remove them. to stamp or not to stamp........ what ever tickles your pleasure.

smile
Reply to: #974593 by uneksia
Apr 26, 2019 1:06am
Thread
...i have a few series out there that have a logbook in every box.

There are actually two different situations here. There are series in which all the clues are spelled out on the clue page so you can find all of them or you can pick and choose. For these, it might make more sense to put a log book in every box.

Alternatively, there are series where the clue to Box #2 is in Box #1. If you don't find Box #1, you won't be finding Box #2. For these, it makes sense to put just one or two log books in the entire series, perhaps one in the first box and one in the last.