Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!

Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974258 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 2:39pm
Thread
If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes.

That was not our experience.....we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....I found the most at the out-of-the-way Tors. I'd thought the reason was because more people went after the close-in Tors.

custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps?

This could easily have been correct.....the custom made were very detailed without any ragged edges so I might have mistaken them as store bought.

The two families we boxed with didn't seem to care what the stamp was as long as they found the box (which immediately endeared them to me). They were very kind about the hand-carved stamps we hid, however.
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 18, 2019 1:27am
Thread
we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....

That could very well be true.... We almost never followed any clues. We just scavenged around looking in likely locations so if a box was missing, we didn't know it. We weren't following clues!

But in sheer quantities, the tors near parking areas we had a lot more success in our hunts. Not all of them.... but as a general rule of thumb.

It's probably like boxing in the United States. Most of the boxes are located near parking lots and easy-to-get-to locations, but they're also the ones most likely to go missing the quickest.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974180 by Wry Me
Apr 18, 2019 7:55pm
Thread
Now she doesn’t attend my events.

At least that you know of. Better go check those logbooks. ;)

Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks if she knows she is not welcome there. I've seen her do it and she told me exactly why.
Reply to: #974323 by RIclimber
Apr 19, 2019 10:04am
Thread
Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks

Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book. Therefore, neither of them actually exist, at least some of the time. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..."
Reply to: #974330 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 12:47pm
Thread
Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book.

Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks? There have been stamps planted here for a few years now with no logbooks. Should they be removed from atlasquest since they can't be a "real find"? :)
Reply to: #974332 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 1:31pm
Thread
My thoughts too. I mean, I plant sometimes without logbooks. A magnet LB here, a vacation plant there, etc.

To my knowledge the logbook requirement is geocaching-only as the cache swag is not the cache, but the logbook is. And with LB, the bare minimum is a stamp, so I imagine as long as you have it in your own logbook then you are golden. (special exceptions for loss, fire, etc. of course)
Reply to: #974332 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 3:53pm
Thread
Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks?

Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.
Reply to: #974336 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 4:54pm
Thread
Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.

No, I wasn't being serious. Just doin' some wishful thinking. :) That if they disappeared from atlasquest, folks might stop planting them. One of the things that the 4 of us really likes is looking thru the logbooks.

If the clues say there's no logbook, we almost always take a pass on finding the box. But that's just us. Not saying anyone else should think like that. But the idea seems to be spreading in Illinois, & we would love to see it not become more popular. That's all. Viewing the finds online just ain't the same.
Reply to: #974338 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 6:35pm
Thread
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.
Reply to: #974341 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 7:12pm
Thread
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.

That is indeed the best logbook ever. Love it! Reminds me of some of the thru-hiking journals we've read in our AT younger days. My cousins & I have planted a lot of boxes using LbNA thru the years, & have always been happy when we've retired the boxes & been able to retrieve the logbooks to keep.

GrayFamily5 was only active for a year or 2 in northern Illinois about 10 years ago or so, but they planted a box (long gone now) in Batavia in honor of school teachers, asking finders to write a memory in the logbook about their favorite teacher. When we were in the area, we would try to drop by just to read what new memories had been written. It was cool. For Illinois, that was the Best Logbook Ever. :)
Reply to: #974342 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 7:41pm
Thread
That is so awesome!

...and I think I need to steal that idea. Especially since I'm a teacher. AND two of my students are now letterboxing. I also think hiking the AT sounds awesome. AT least while I'm still on the couch.
Reply to: #974338 by Early Risers
Apr 20, 2019 12:55am
Thread
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook just because you didn't feel like spending the 79 cents for a logbook is not.
Reply to: #974346 by Kirbert
Apr 20, 2019 1:39am
Thread
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook just because you didn't feel like spending the 79 cents for a logbook is not.

OKaaaay. :) And what do we do with the lazy cheap boxer who makes a "magnet" box just BECAUSE they won't have to 1. buy a logbook; 2. bother being sure they have a waterproof container to protect said logbook; 3. bother finding a location suitable to having a logbook.

Now, there may be parts of the country soooo jammed with boxes that there's just noooo other place any longer to hide a box except on the underside of a metal mailbox that can't even contain a tiny logbook. Even Dr. Phil, bad as he is most of the time (maybe even all of the time), could ably shoot down the various excuses that lazy cheap boxers tend to come up with.

At least the boxers who just blatantly put the stamps out there, not bothering with any excuses, are honest. They're cheap, they're lazy, it's what they wanna do, and thaaaaat's all folks. No excuses. I commend 'em on their honesty. :)

Growing up, I had a next-door neighbor who kicked their kids out of the house the day they turned 18. No excuses. No money. Just pack your bags, you're an adult now, you're outta here. These single stamps, out in the wild all by their poor lonesomes, no companion logbooks for support, remind me of those neighbors.
Reply to: #974346 by Kirbert
Apr 20, 2019 8:00am
Thread
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook [...]

Some people would like to skip boxes with no log book. Should an attribute be added that indicates "no logbook"? Right now it would have to be part of the description of the box in the clue. If it is an attribute then people could include or exclude such boxes.
Reply to: #974348 by Early Risers
Apr 20, 2019 8:21am
Thread
Now, there may be parts of the country soooo jammed with boxes that there's just noooo other place any longer to hide a box except on the underside of a metal mailbox that can't even contain a tiny logbook. Even Dr. Phil, bad as he is most of the time (maybe even all of the time), could ably shoot down the various excuses that lazy cheap boxers tend to come up with.

Here in MA, we have a couple of months where searching for traditional boxes can be extremely difficult, due to snow cover. To give folks something to find, I've planted some winter-friendly boxes that are film canisters hanging on trees. I chose not to put a logbook (i.e. strips of paper) in some of them, because frankly, if it's 20 degrees and you've just snowshoed a mile to get to the box, you probably don't want your hands exposed to the cold any longer than necessary.

But, heck, thanks for letting me know that I'm a lazy cheap boxer because I deliberately chose not to put a logbook in a handful of my boxes.
Reply to: #974361 by Rocklun
Apr 20, 2019 9:09am
Thread
But, heck, thanks for letting me know that I'm a lazy cheap boxer because I deliberately chose not to put a logbook in a handful of my boxes.

It's a lot more work and planning to hide snow-friendly boxes like yours located well down a hiking trail than it is to plant letterboxes with logbooks that are drivebys or quick strolls. It's not easy. Thanks for planting!
Apr 20, 2019 9:43am
Thread
Also here in MA (well, New England), we also have a comparatively active letterboxing community. I've often wondered if it's because we don't get persnickety about our rules and, frankly, are friendlier for it. No logbook? No problem, we're being bitten by mosquitoes / ticks are attacking us / the rain would have destroyed it / snow is COLD, anyway. Have a logbook? Great!

... except W&P... hooooooo boy do I have stories that I've been refraining from airing on this thread. And, btw, those were my boxes that they didn't sign in to. Because, guess what? Being mean causes people to tell you you're not welcome.
Reply to: #973898 by Elle
Apr 20, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
Well THIS thread has certainly garnered some interesting observations!!!

My 2cents, which I'm sure in 2019 standards is probably 25 or 50 cents by now...

Should W&P find one of my boxes? That's nice...
Should no one find any of my boxes? Oh well...
Should boxers decide not to find one of my boxes because I decided for some specific reason not to include a logbook? Their loss for not stamping a really nice carve...
Drivebys? This is a findy game, I think they're fun, and old school didn't have any rules...

Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES... look under rocks, maybe there might be a box there... oh wait, Connecticut is that way...

Did I miss anything?
Reply to: #974348 by Early Risers
Apr 20, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
Growing up, I had a next-door neighbor who kicked their kids out of the house the day they turned 18. No excuses. No money. Just pack your bags, you're an adult now, you're outta here.

Hah! I had the same neighbor!
Reply to: #974368 by Honeychyck
Apr 20, 2019 12:35pm
Thread
No logbook? No problem, we're being bitten by mosquitoes / ticks are attacking us / the rain would have destroyed it / snow is COLD, anyway.

The box should have a logbook anyway. If the finder doesn't wanna bother with stamping in for whatever reason, fine.
Reply to: #974372 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 20, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES... look under rocks, maybe there might be a box there... oh wait, Connecticut is that way...

lol, in reality you really can't do that in Connecticut because there are so many rocks. There may be a lot of boxes, but there are a zillion more places to hide them.
Reply to: #974372 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 20, 2019 1:18pm
Thread
Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES

That's how I run my Letterboxers Egg Hunt every year. You have the option of going Dartmoor style with no clues at all, or you can have cryptic clues written by Not A Lone Wolf Anymore for help.

Warrior Woman
likes to keep it fun
Reply to: #974375 by Kirbert
Apr 20, 2019 1:26pm
Thread
Well, some don't ~shrugs~
Apr 20, 2019 2:11pm
Thread
The box should have a logbook anyway. If the finder doesn't wanna bother with stamping in for whatever reason, fine.

Not that there's any reason to care whether I like an idea or not but................I like this idea!
Apr 20, 2019 2:14pm
Thread

Nono, you're only lazy & cheap on the days you plant boxes with no logbooks. Otherwise you're a workaholic spendthrift.
Apr 20, 2019 2:19pm
Thread
The box should have a logbook anyway

Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??
Reply to: #974385 by MissMoon
Apr 20, 2019 2:50pm
Thread
Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??

Even I'm willing to draw the line on that one. :) On the other hand, when boxing first came to Illinois, that was how it was done. Tho the most I remember in a series was 10 boxes. Logbook in every one.

GrayFamily5 again who made that series. And the last one in the series went missing pretty fast, so the penultimate logbook became the last. I'll be the first to admit that 10 (or even 9) logbooks in a loop got boring. Quickly. But I persevered! :)
Reply to: #974385 by MissMoon
Apr 20, 2019 3:16pm
Thread

It was suggested that boxes without logbooks be identified with an icon for the purists to avoid. Conversly, should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?
Reply to: #974387 by dingus dufus
Apr 20, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
Best. Reply. Yet. 🤩😂
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 20, 2019 3:41pm
Thread
ALL of the stamps I found were store bought. very disappointing. My experience was that the clues were difficult to follow and boxes were often missing. I did charity walks, which seems to be the way you can get your 100 stamps to get "real" clues. I found many many other boxes, but had no idea what they were or where to log them or what they were called. It all felt chaotic to me. And don't get me started on those wild ponies! Be very careful opening a bag around them, they think FOOD and run straight at you!