Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!

Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974000 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 9, 2019 6:46pm
Thread
I like the prospect of finding a box of yours, but I read the clue. That is NOT one I would try in my car.
Reply to: #974110 by mudflinginfools
Apr 13, 2019 1:45pm
Thread
I'm sorry that it happened to you too!!

You've been great about sharing your event stamps with several of us to plant. I have been able to plant trails using your stamps in Florida & South Carolina on my way North. I'm so glad that I made it to your LL Bean event this year too!! So, so much fun & lots of Letterboxers to meet & hang out with.

You've been very good at keeping letterboxing alive and available to many of us who aren't as mobile as others. Thank you for all that you and your team have done.

It's hard to hear that so many of you have received negativity from anyone with all the hard work you put into our hobby!!

I guess there will always be negative people who don't like or accept change & they're always the loudest to speak out and ruin things for others. It will be fun to see you at any events & I certainly hope I do!!

Thank you for helping to make letterboxing what it is today - fun, fun, fun!!
Reply to: #974180 by Wry Me
Apr 15, 2019 4:29pm
Thread
Here are some more facts about our interesting hobby and traditions. Over there in Dartmoor, they have plants close to the road and easy to find, even without clues (the equivalent of our drive-by's, yeah?), places without a 100 Club post their clues online, they have charity events where you pay for clues and essentially make a loop finding boxes, they charge for their clue book and you have to prove you've found 100 boxes on the moor first, longer hikes and more challenging hides are for grown-ups and experienced boxers. They also have discussions about box maintenance.

So if you really want to go old school: no mystery boxes, use grid references on a park map with or without compass headings and landmark clues, keep your clues WOM, or have it added to the continually updated clue book that you have to earn and PAY for, and be sure to plunk a custom stamp in the box. Organize an event where you raise money for a charity by charging for the clues to the boxes and then plant them in a small loop around town.

Also, apparently so many of the boxes are so easy and convenient to find, you can get your first 100 without clues, just to show 'em you're serious. Why don't they allow ALL people to access the clues? Why did they make so many of them short strolls instead of long hikes? What? No hand-carved stamps? No mysteries or puzzles? We have to PAY for the clues? Seems even the founders can't get it right. Heh.
Reply to: #974195 by Wry Me
Apr 15, 2019 5:16pm
Thread
So just some feedback based on our experiences in Dartmoor.

they have plants close to the road and easy to find, even without clues

We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations. Although there are quite a number planted inside of bars, restaurants, shops and camping businesses so maybe that is what you are referring to?

they charge for their clue book and you have to prove you've found 100 boxes on the moor first

When we contacted the woman who "sells" the clue books, she did not ask for proof we'd found 100 boxes. She made it very clear she asked for payment only to cover the cost of the annual printing of the clue books. I'd asked for the next year's book (because of when our fist trip was scheduled) and she accidentally sent me the preceding year's print. When she discovered her error, she immediately sent the correct version before I'd received the first one to know there was an error.....she would not accept payment for the second book (offered to help defray the printing costs).

Why did they make so many of them short strolls instead of long hikes?

We hiked, a LOT; although on rainy days during several visits, we did do the drive-bys planted in buildings, etc.

apparently so many of the boxes are so easy and convenient to find, you can get your first 100 without clues

This part is true, we didn't manage to attend an "event" but we did run into a couple of families of boxers who were gracious enough to explain the easy way to find boxes while Dbare (who's an engineeer and therefore to be forgiven) "putters" as the moms put it.

What? No hand-carved stamps?

Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought.

Hopefully people find this information useful.
Reply to: #974199 by Public Hand
Apr 15, 2019 7:00pm
Thread
Wry Me wrote:

Public Hand replied:

So much for those who want us to return to the traditions of those who started letterboxing. Or did they just want us to return to the origins of letterboxing in the USA?
Reply to: #974208 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 15, 2019 7:33pm
Thread
Or did they just want us to return to the origins of letterboxing in the USA?

Yeah. That was kinda my point. Any one of those things has in the past caused kerfluffles. I don't agree/disagree w/ how they do things over there & obviously some info is now outdated. I rather liked the idea of getting 100 finds, too. Not unlike hitting the restriction threshold and seeing new clues. It seems they have very similar habits/issues, though I found the charity bit interesting. Don't mind paying for published logbooks, either. The parallels & differences are equally interesting. Insanely jealous of those who have actually been. I
Apr 15, 2019 7:39pm
Thread
Thanks for this much better info! On my dumpster list. (Bucket is full.)
Reply to: #974208 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 15, 2019 8:11pm
Thread
So much for those who want us to return to the traditions of those who started letterboxing

Not trying to be difficult or contrary but my understanding is the man who started it in England is now in his 90s and in a pensioner's home.....and I haven't met anyone over there old enough to remember how it was (or wasn't).....the boxers we've met are all relatively young families.

So the point I'm trying to make is that there is no one way to box.....to each his own (as long as the safety and no tearing up the landscape rules are followed).
Reply to: #974214 by Public Hand
Apr 15, 2019 8:50pm
Thread
So the point I'm trying to make is that there is no one way to box.....to each his own (as long as the safety and no tearing up the landscape rules are followed).

The point I was making, though I did it with sarcasm.

It is fun doing it my way. And you can do it your way. And those who want to return to the original ways can play it their way.

Let's all just have fun.
Reply to: #974216 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 15, 2019 8:59pm
Thread
{{though I did it with sarcasm}]

Damn, must have broken my sarcasm detector at last weekend's letterboxing bash in Sydney.......
Reply to: #974217 by Public Hand
Apr 15, 2019 9:16pm
Thread
I wrote:

though I did it with sarcasm

Public Hand wrote:

Damn, must have broken my sarcasm detector at last weekend's letterboxing bash in Sydney.......

Well, I could hear it in my head. It is too bad that we don't have punctuation to mark sarcasm. I'll have to remember to forget it in the future⸮
Reply to: #974214 by Public Hand
Apr 15, 2019 11:56pm
Thread
the man who started it in England is now in his 90s and in a pensioner's home

He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.
Apr 16, 2019 12:53am
Thread

Haven't been, but I heard that the preponderance there are custom-made. I heard they view hand-carved stamps with derision -- which makes me wonder if they've seen any stamps by any of the incredibly skilled carvers we have stateside. If all they've seen are the hand-carved stamps that look like they've been hacked out of an eraser with a steak knife, I can appreciate their attitude -- but somebody needs to plant some good carves over there!
Reply to: #974221 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 1:25pm
Thread
I was referring to Godfrey, also known as Good, who's the man who negotiated with the park service in Dartmoor to allow for letterboxing.
Reply to: #974221 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 1:34pm
Thread
He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.

Those Brits *are* tough folk. :)
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 1:49pm
Thread
God* curse you autocorrect!
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 2:33pm
Thread
Sorry, missed your reference in the previous posts.
Reply to: #974241 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 2:40pm
Thread
No harm, no foul......Lord help me if I ever get THAT sensitive!!!
Reply to: #974240 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 4:16pm
Thread
God* curse you autocorrect!

We already knew it was really God. Which of course explains the longevity as well.
Apr 17, 2019 12:25am
Thread
We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations.

If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes. Go to a tor miles from the nearest road and you likely won't find many boxes. So... they aren't next to roads, but they aren't that far away from them either which might not make them qualified drive-bys, but plenty of strolls!

Although there are quite a number planted inside of bars, restaurants, shops and camping businesses

Those don't count towards official counts or for membership into the 100 Club. Some people probably DO count them, but officially, they aren't supposed to count. (Kind of like what happens with event boxes here.)

I found a large number of custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps? Hand-carved stamps.... I can't remember actually finding any hand-carved stamps off the top of my head, but if there were any, the numbers were definitely very low. I rather liked the custom-made stamps, though. A lot of them were very detailed, interesting and were specially designed for where they were planted. Very cool.

The people we talked to seemed to like finding hand-carved stamps but just didn't want to make them. Which happens a lot here too. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974258 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 2:39pm
Thread
If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes.

That was not our experience.....we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....I found the most at the out-of-the-way Tors. I'd thought the reason was because more people went after the close-in Tors.

custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps?

This could easily have been correct.....the custom made were very detailed without any ragged edges so I might have mistaken them as store bought.

The two families we boxed with didn't seem to care what the stamp was as long as they found the box (which immediately endeared them to me). They were very kind about the hand-carved stamps we hid, however.
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 18, 2019 1:27am
Thread
we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....

That could very well be true.... We almost never followed any clues. We just scavenged around looking in likely locations so if a box was missing, we didn't know it. We weren't following clues!

But in sheer quantities, the tors near parking areas we had a lot more success in our hunts. Not all of them.... but as a general rule of thumb.

It's probably like boxing in the United States. Most of the boxes are located near parking lots and easy-to-get-to locations, but they're also the ones most likely to go missing the quickest.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974180 by Wry Me
Apr 18, 2019 7:55pm
Thread
Now she doesn’t attend my events.

At least that you know of. Better go check those logbooks. ;)

Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks if she knows she is not welcome there. I've seen her do it and she told me exactly why.
Reply to: #974323 by RIclimber
Apr 19, 2019 10:04am
Thread
Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks

Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book. Therefore, neither of them actually exist, at least some of the time. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..."
Reply to: #974330 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 12:47pm
Thread
Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book.

Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks? There have been stamps planted here for a few years now with no logbooks. Should they be removed from atlasquest since they can't be a "real find"? :)
Reply to: #974332 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 1:31pm
Thread
My thoughts too. I mean, I plant sometimes without logbooks. A magnet LB here, a vacation plant there, etc.

To my knowledge the logbook requirement is geocaching-only as the cache swag is not the cache, but the logbook is. And with LB, the bare minimum is a stamp, so I imagine as long as you have it in your own logbook then you are golden. (special exceptions for loss, fire, etc. of course)
Reply to: #974332 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 3:53pm
Thread
Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks?

Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.
Reply to: #974336 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 4:54pm
Thread
Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.

No, I wasn't being serious. Just doin' some wishful thinking. :) That if they disappeared from atlasquest, folks might stop planting them. One of the things that the 4 of us really likes is looking thru the logbooks.

If the clues say there's no logbook, we almost always take a pass on finding the box. But that's just us. Not saying anyone else should think like that. But the idea seems to be spreading in Illinois, & we would love to see it not become more popular. That's all. Viewing the finds online just ain't the same.
Reply to: #974338 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 6:35pm
Thread
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.
Reply to: #974341 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 7:12pm
Thread
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.

That is indeed the best logbook ever. Love it! Reminds me of some of the thru-hiking journals we've read in our AT younger days. My cousins & I have planted a lot of boxes using LbNA thru the years, & have always been happy when we've retired the boxes & been able to retrieve the logbooks to keep.

GrayFamily5 was only active for a year or 2 in northern Illinois about 10 years ago or so, but they planted a box (long gone now) in Batavia in honor of school teachers, asking finders to write a memory in the logbook about their favorite teacher. When we were in the area, we would try to drop by just to read what new memories had been written. It was cool. For Illinois, that was the Best Logbook Ever. :)