A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Critter Corner

Re: Doggy Shampoo
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #867427 by Treasurehonas
Sep 3, 2014 1:40pm
Thread
Scooter's 15 years old and I've used it for most of his life.
Reply to: #867427 by Treasurehonas
Sep 12, 2014 12:49pm
Thread
My vet actually recommended just using the dish soap. It kills the fleas.
Reply to: #868417 by Alaska hsm
Sep 12, 2014 1:38pm
Thread
Mine too. But you have to leave it on for a few minutes for it to work optimally. I forget what he said. I make Ch wait in the tub til he can't stand it any more (3 minutes, maybe?) and then I rinse him off before he explodes.

We have minor flea issues the week before he's due for more flea and heartworm treatment, the dishsoap does seem to help. (They ride home from the dog park)
Fundraising...(Is it okay to post this?)
Sep 25, 2014 7:15pm
Thread
Daughter is raising funds for a local animal shelter and asked if I could post a link to her page here (Since there are 2 boxes planted there, not by us. It is just that cool.)
I know I've seen similar posts. But we aren't as active as some here, and I can't remember if I've seen any answers.

She has big plans to save the planet, dog by dog.
Re: Fundraising...(Is it okay to post this?)
Reply to: #870099 by Uncorny Acorns
Sep 25, 2014 7:56pm
Thread
I do not see why you cannot. People can choose to click the link or ignore it, and there are a lot of animal lovers here. ;-)
Reply to: #870102 by RDHG
Sep 25, 2014 8:04pm
Thread
Reply to: #870099 by Uncorny Acorns
Sep 25, 2014 8:14pm
Thread
Gourmet cat food
Sep 28, 2014 4:04pm
In cleaning out the freezer this weekend, I found a roast that had been forgotten. Since it looked good we cooked it tonight. Well, either because had been frozen for so long or we just over cooked it, it came out medium well instead of medium rare. We had the best bits for dinner but what to do with the rest? Soup? I can't eat that much soup or stew. Oh, wait! We have a blender, how about cat food? A dash of water and few minutes later, there ya go. Gourmet beef cat food. They seem to like it.

Sparky dog on the other hand is NOT pleased. He usually gets the meat mistakes.
new chicks
Oct 2, 2014 2:03pm
Thread
I'm going to start breeding silkies and I just got my first ones in the mail. So far it's three black silkies with two wheaten marans put in for warmth. I'm getting six more silkies next month. I wanted to share a couple pics because I know there's people here that enjoy baby animals as much as me. The silkies are a bantam breed, meaning about half the size of average chicks. http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=4112
Re: new chicks
Reply to: #871036 by Hosmer's
Oct 2, 2014 2:08pm
Thread
Finally--something to read!

Silkies are so cute. We had some at our zoo.
Oct 2, 2014 2:50pm
Thread
bantam chickens

Aww so cute.

I had 3 bantam chickens growing up. They were so sweet. I named them Henny, Penny and the rooster was named Kilroy.
Reply to: #871043 by oceanwinds
Oct 2, 2014 6:51pm
Thread
They are adorable, that's for sure. I love how tiny they are.

So far one is named Zacky, one Cy, one Princess Fluffy Butt, and one Jean (pronounced in a French way). One more silky needs a name. Of course, we don't really know the genders of them and won't with the silkies for a long time, but it's fun to name them anyway. My grown chickens look too much alike. I have a bunch of white and a bunch of browns. Only one is different. She's speckled brown. But I just call them all my ladies, no real names.
Oct 3, 2014 12:35am
Thread
Oh geez, when I first started reading this I was thinking silky terriers. My mouth dropped open when I read about getting the first ones in the mail!! Relieved we are talking poultry here :-) Have fun, they are so cute!!
Rainbow Bridge
Nov 21, 2014 11:33am
Thread
I experienced the worse day of my life on wednesday and you all are great at helping me feel better. I already have all the guilt in the world. My dog that never escapes, escaped and together with my dog who never stays contained, managed to get the gate open to my other animals. They killed two goats and four chickens before I saw what was happening. They very badly injured my other goat and a chicken. The goat is going to make it with time and care. I'm not so sure about the chicken. I had to get rid of the dogs too. The one dog was so much in a frenzy that he tried to go after the cats when I got him inside. I had raised him and I had saved his mother. I never would have thought this would happen. We have further secured the gate, though there's only nine chickens left to protect. My goats in the house healing until she can walk. They got her leg joint pretty bad. It's all superficial wounds, but painful. I did bring her to a vet. All this comes days after I found out I won a piglet and was super happy. I'm just so thankful he ins't ready yet and wasn't here. We're going to rebuild again. We already have a sweet goat picked out to be Korra's companion when she's on her feet again. I just feel broken. I loved coming home and having the goats greet me. My yard is so quiet now.
Re: Rainbow Bridge
Reply to: #877580 by Hosmer's
Nov 21, 2014 12:18pm
Thread
I am so sorry :'( Hugs and love your way. ♥♥
Nov 21, 2014 1:36pm
Thread
I wish I could hit the {HUG} button a thousand times! You're having a rough time. Hang in there, it will get better. And good luck to the goat...and the chicken...and the pig. Sounds like you have a fun house to be in :)
Nov 21, 2014 2:05pm
Thread
This is so sad, Hosmer's. It's obvious how much you love all of your animals from the way you write about them and to lose so many all at once (including the dogs) must be devastating. Really, though, I don't think that you could have seen this coming. This is terribly sad, but not your fault.
Nov 21, 2014 3:07pm
Thread
My deepest sympathies. I have enjoyed your livestock stories. My horse is boarded so I don't have animals on the property except a 19 year old cat, and I envy those that do. I have friends with livestock and I'm sad to say, that this type of thing happens sometimes. I"m so sorry for your profound loss, I"m sure you miss the dogs as well. Good for you for making future plans.
Nov 21, 2014 3:38pm
Thread
I had a love/annoyance relationship with the dogs. I am not a dog person. It was a rescue and then her having puppies situation. I got her about a year ago. The boy was going to be rehomed within a couple weeks with a friend because he was too much for me to handle and the girl was getting a trainer. Then this happened. I can't catch a break.

Thank you all for the kind words.
Reply to: #877647 by Hosmer's
Nov 21, 2014 11:16pm
Thread
I'm so sorry for your woes. :(. This is just a terrible situation all around and no one wins. Please let me know how I can help you in anyway.
Nov 22, 2014 2:45am
Thread
I am sorry to read of this tragedy. Dogs have a tendency to pack up. One would have been okay, I would guess. Wishing you better days. Forgive yourself, in reality it wasn't your fault. We can't always control situations.
Reply to: #877700 by KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey
Nov 22, 2014 10:04am
Thread
Thanks guys. You all really do make me feel better. I was working on my pig pen today and thinking how cute my piglet will be. I've already named him Don Cerdo. We're going to breed him, so he needed a suave name. ;-) It was strange being in such a quiet yard. Even the chickens were resting and not making much noise.
Reply to: #877759 by Hosmer's
Nov 22, 2014 11:17am
Thread
I really do admire you for getting out there and looking ahead. Your piggy sounds adorable already. You'd better post pics! :-)
Nov 22, 2014 11:31am
Thread
The scary part of having a farm is you never know when some kind of disaster might strike. What you went through was truly horrible, and many kudos to you for pushing onward and repairing and preparing for a safe home for your current and future animals. I had several rabbits and ducks killed by foxes and raccoons when I was younger, and was always so sad.
New Piglet
Nov 29, 2014 9:44am
Thread
I picked up my first piglet today and she's tiny! She was the smallest, so she had to fight for food. She's an american guinea hog who is 9 weeks old. I named her Dulcinea. I'm getting her companion (and future mate), Don Cerdo, next weekend when he turns 6 weeks old. She is so stinking cute! She's people shy, but I'm good at spoiling that out of animals.

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=4151
Re: New Piglet
Reply to: #878401 by Hosmer's
Nov 29, 2014 9:51am
Thread
mmmm bacon
Reply to: #878401 by Hosmer's
Nov 29, 2014 9:59am
Thread
Oooooh so cute!!!!!
Reply to: #878404 by turkey feathers
Nov 29, 2014 10:00am
Thread
She's not for eating. :-P
And A New Goat
Nov 30, 2014 5:28pm
Thread
We got a new goat to be a companion for my injured goat. He is sweet as can be and follows me around the yard. He neutered, so he's just a pet (not food). Having another goat around should help with the healing process. They're already sleeping near each other, which is a good sign.

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=4151
Re: And A New Goat
Reply to: #878560 by Hosmer's
Dec 1, 2014 6:14am
Thread
Mmmm not bacon : )