A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Kid Shenanigans

Re: Dry skin near eyes question
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #486631 by how and kris
Feb 1, 2010 7:55pm
Thread
I had that for a bit and figured out that it was a new eye lotion I tried. Check if there is a new soap, laundry detergent, lotion, or any product or routine that has changed recently and discontinue use.
Warthog Day
Feb 2, 2010 12:23pm
Thread
My First Grader turned to me last night and excitedly announced asked if I knew that today is Warthog Day. She learned about it in school. So happy "Warthog Day", everyone! =)

Wild Rose
Re: Warthog Day
Reply to: #487188 by PBandJ
Feb 2, 2010 12:55pm
Thread
that's too cute!!
Feb 2, 2010 2:10pm
Thread
That is so funny! You should ask her what Warthog Day is and if anything special happens on this day. I bet the answer will be just as funny. ;)
Feb 2, 2010 8:27pm
Thread
What happens if the Warthog sees it's shadow? 6 more weeks of warts?

Leviathan
Reply to: #487371 by Leviathan
Feb 2, 2010 8:46pm
Thread
How many warts could a warthog hog if a warthog could hog warts?
Reply to: #487377 by 55 Steps
Feb 2, 2010 9:10pm
Thread
a warthog would hog all he could if a warthog could hog warts.

but why anyone or anything would want to hog warts is beyond me...

unless it was Hogwarts...

romana
Reply to: #487379 by Romana
Feb 3, 2010 4:40am
Thread
ok, it's entirely to early in the morning to be reading these!!! Must.....get.....coffeee......first!!! ROFLOL
Feb 3, 2010 8:08am
Thread
My second grader came home last month announcing that they learned all about King Arthur - - that his dad owned a church and he was a good man until some white man shot him.

It took a few minutes, but then I realized she was talking about Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Very Small Birthday Ideas Needed
Reply to: #486817 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Feb 4, 2010 8:48am
Thread
How about a "where the wild things are" scavenger hunt type thing. YOu could give the boys a task list, such as "exercise your inner monster by spending 15 minutes in the bounce house." Report to base when finished" Then when the come back to "base" (your table) stamp a passport book, or give them a small prize for their goodie bag along with the next task. "Defeat the space monster by scoring at lest 2500 on Space Invaders" "Go wild with a banana split!"

Or, depending on the facility, you might be able to place colored dots or other pictures around and have the kids go on a hunt to see how many monster sightings they can make.

Re: Very Small Birthday Ideas Needed
Reply to: #486817 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Feb 7, 2010 4:44pm
Thread
Do they already know what's going on? (Exactly where they are going etc)?
What about a treasure hunt that leads them to give you directions, in the car, to a couple places ending with the entertainment center? Or following the entertainment center with a trip to a fovorite ice cream place for sundaes or some other unusual treat? (You might be able to set it up to have a themed cupcake/clown cone thing ready and waiting w/candles if the owner's nice)

Sorry...I have a thing for treasure hunts!
This just in!
Feb 19, 2010 7:30pm
My sister-in-law reports what my niece learned in pre-school today:

E-L: 'Oh, we're learning about drawing, and 'sex'..'.
SIL: 'What?? Sex?'
E-L: 'Yeah, things like drawing and sex.'
SIL (again): 'WHAT, SEX???'
E-L: 'You know, like bugs!'.
SIL: 'Ooooh... INsects!' OMG I laughed so hard. :DD
momma letterboxes too much
Feb 26, 2010 4:00am
Thread
My 5 year old came home school with ink on his fingers. I asked what he had worked on in school that today. He said he was working on an art project.
So, I asked what kind of art project. He said, "I was stamping momma. But I did not letterbox at school." As if he would be in trouble letterboxing without me. Just made me laugh. Kids learn what they live!
Re: momma letterboxes too much
Reply to: #494553 by R2L2D-J
Feb 26, 2010 6:13am
Thread
Amen, sister!
Re: momma letterboxes too much
Reply to: #494553 by R2L2D-J
Feb 26, 2010 9:46am
Thread
"I was stamping momma. But I did not letterbox at school."

That is pretty sweet :o)
Re: 7 year old boy in the house
Reply to: #496078 by Traveling Garden Gnome
Mar 4, 2010 7:30pm
Thread
I am convinced that boys are wired differently than girls. My three daughters never did some of the stuff my grandson does! Have you asked "why?" yet?
Reply to: #496143 by Traveling Garden Gnome
Mar 5, 2010 9:41am
Thread
I have to agree. I often need to remember that I better want the answer I get! Goota love 'em tho!
Reply to: #496219 by SN Bone
Mar 5, 2010 1:50pm
Thread
They probably needed washed after they fell into the dog's water bowl.
Reply to: #496078 by Traveling Garden Gnome
Mar 5, 2010 4:25pm
Thread
And the excitement never ends either... our 7th grader recently got suspended from the bus because he brought a bag of rice with him (for the second time, for no apparent reason except to be goofy) and then he bopped someone on the head with it (while the bus driver was negotiating on icy roads, of course) and the rice spilled all over the bus. He does stupid stuff like that quite a bit, and yet we're taking him to a math competition tomorrow b/c he's a math genius!
Reply to: #496293 by MO UR4Me
Mar 6, 2010 7:24am
Thread
he brought a bag of rice with him (for the second time, for no apparent reason except to be goofy)

Sounds like my house. Believe me, it is a well-documented fact that giftedness and common sense DO NOT always go hand in hand. Makes life interesting.
Reply to: #496398 by Mama Stork
Mar 6, 2010 10:49am
Thread
"...well-documented fact that giftedness and common sense DO NOT always go hand in hand..."

I can attest to that having also had a child like that!
Reply to: #496398 by Mama Stork
Mar 6, 2010 11:22am
Thread
it is a well-documented fact that giftedness and common sense DO NOT always go hand in hand.

I have a nephew like this. smart as a whip. and sometimes, you'd want to whip him.

makes me glad I'm only extremely bright rather than gifted. it leaves room for common sense. ;-)

romana
A real Hero!
Mar 15, 2010 6:06pm
Thread
I want to tell you all what an amazing thing my 8 yr old did this afternoon!!! We had let my kids, Mackenzie (8yrs old) and her little brother Jesse (2 1/2) go out in the back yard today after school to play. We went in to get a drink and were going out to sit with them. She is an excellent babysitter and they always play in the back yard. They aren't usually allowed to have their 4 wheelers ( the little battery operated Power Wheels) in the back yard because of the pool. They have both been great about the pool and know they aren't allowed on the concrete around it if we aren't out side with them. Even the 2 yr old knows he isn't allowed and doesn't do it. What we forgot, was that he had his 4 wheeler back there from when he was playing with his daddy. We heard Mackenzie started screaming for us and we could tell somehting was wrong. We went running outside and saw the water in the pool just splashing over the sides. We haven't cleaned it this season and the water was dark. Jesse lost control of his little 4 wheeler and it flipped into the deep end of the pool. Mackenzie didn't wait on us, she jumped right in and went under until she found him and was able to pull him to the side while holding his head about the water. She took 2 sessions of swimming lessons 2 yrs ago at the Y and they also taught life saving skills with a doll. She was amazing!!! We wouldn't have been able to get to them and find him in time. The water was too dark and he was completely under. When she got out, she fell on the ground and cried. Her legs were so weak she could hardly walk! and so were mine. I am so proud of her and I just wanted to share with you all what she did! I can't imagine an 8 yr old being so cool and calm in an emergency like that and reacting with such accuracy! Jesse told her he loved her and she is his hero!
Re: A real Hero!
Reply to: #498566 by the Dawg Pound
Mar 15, 2010 6:20pm
Thread
Ok-now I'm sitting here crying! I read this aloud to my hubby and 18 yo Eagle Scout. He has taken life saving and knows what to do in an emergency, but I wonder if he would have enough presence of mind to do this. What an amazing daughter you have there. Thank you for sharing this story. Sometimes all we hear is how bad kids are. This is a testimony for sure!!!!!
Mar 15, 2010 6:33pm
Thread
Well that made me tear up. What an amazing Sister he has and daughter you have! So proud of her and Shes not even mine. =) You should contact your local paper or City hall. A lot of them have a heroes day, where citizens are awarded for bravery and doing what needed to be done. She deserves it. =)

~Aurora
Reply to: #498570 by songwriter
Mar 15, 2010 6:35pm
Thread
Bless her little heart! You taught her well and she performed like a champ! God bless you all! Glad your little dude is okay thanks to your 8 year old....what a story! Great idea there Aurora.
Mar 15, 2010 6:37pm
Thread
Way to go Mackenzie! You rock girl!
Mar 15, 2010 7:06pm
Thread
You've got a great girl there and some awesome guardian angels. Life will have amazing things in store for them. Thank you for sharing that story. Please tell them how many people are proud!! storm rider
Reply to: #498591 by storm rider
Mar 15, 2010 7:18pm
Thread
Well that made me tear up.

Oh My God...me too! I am teary eyed just reading this...what an amazing story, I am so happy to hear everything turned out ok. I agree that you should have her recogonized by the paper as a local hero!
Mar 15, 2010 7:20pm
Thread
She truly is a hero. And it is very painful for me to have to write this, but honestly, it is a subject I feel VERY strongly about, ever since my own oldest daughter almost drowned when she was visiting her biological father, in his pool.

There is NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER a good reason to not have a fence around a pool. Period. Saying "they know better", as you now know, is not enough. A kid can drown in a matter of seconds, with even the most stringent of safety measures in place, so to leave one unattended around un-fenced-off water... well, I am so incredibly happy that your daughter was there! I know you are surely already feeling this to your core and have taken immediate measures, no doubt, and I am not posting to you. But to everyone else who is reading this take heed of the lesson. A tragedy was averted because of one extremely heroic, resourceful girl, and she absolutely deserves all the praise she gets. But this should never have gotten to that point in the first place.

I know I will get flamed and "ruded", and I probably deserve it, but I came too close myself to this situation, and feel VERY strongly. I do not do this lightly, nor to try to cause bad feelings.