A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Kid Shenanigans

Re: Dry skin near eyes question
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #486631 by how and kris
Feb 1, 2010 8:13am
Thread
Some organic olive oil works well. My oldest had infant eczema and I didn't want to use anything dangerous and that was the first suggestion his doctor made.
Reply to: #486713 by veganf and the Dolphins
Feb 1, 2010 11:11am
Thread
Thanks for all the suggestions. I usually call my and/or howie's mom and between the two families they have run into it before and know what to do. This time both Mom's said "I dunno".

I'm starting with what I have in the house...olive oil, almond oil and hydrocortozine. No, not mixed together. :) We have Gril Scouts tonight. We'll stop at CVS on the way home and pick up some other suggestions if her eye lids and surrounding skin don't look better by then.

Thanks
Reply to: #486793 by how and kris
Feb 1, 2010 11:33am
Thread
one last suggestion. My son is 2 1/2 and since he was born he has had awful skin. He was never soft and smooth like a baby, his skin was rough and always looked like he had a rash on his arms and legs. The doctors prescribed everything they could think of. We used cortisone, creams (not lotion, lotion contains alcohol which is drying to the skin), he had steroid creams, oils, baby wash, baby lotions, everything. I changed our soap, our clothes detergent, diaper brands, and nothing made it go away. It was so bad I didn't want him to go with shorts and tshirts or just onsies. Then my mom remembered somehting that my brother used 20+ years ago. It's called Dermarest. I rubbed his whole little body down 2x everyday and within a week the irritations on his skin were gone. Now i can rub him down 1 -2 times a week after bath and he never breaks out. Great stuff! I don't know if it will work or can be used around eyes, but maybe someone else can use it.
Very Small Birthday Ideas Needed
Feb 1, 2010 12:24pm
Thread
I usually do a huge birthday party for Sharkboy; but, finances will not allow for that this year, so I'm just taking him and one friend to a local kids entertainment place. One of his friends did that recently for a small birthday and invited my son and he had a great time, so I figured the idea would work well for us too. We are going to take that same boy with us to our small birthday bash.

My only issue is, I still want it to be a special day. I don't just want to have a slice of pizza and soda at the snack bar then watch the kids go on the bounce houses, play mini golf and arcade games. I kinda feel that stuff can happen any day and I want to do a little more to make the day special. I'd like to do a Where The Wild Things Are them; but, I'm not sure how to implement a theme into a tiny birthday party with only two kids. Does anybody have any ideas for me?
Re: Very Small Birthday Ideas Needed
Reply to: #486817 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Feb 1, 2010 12:55pm
Thread
When Diamond the Rat has a party at chucky cheese we bring a themed baloon or 2, a themed plastic toy or candle to shove in the cake, themed table cloth, etc.

With one child it's hard to justify the cost of the themed plates, napkins, etc. But we have bought these thing in the past and then used the extras the next day/week when we did something birthday related with just us at the house.
Feb 1, 2010 12:55pm
Thread
you could decorate around the house with balloons, streamers and banners. these wouldn't cost much or you might could make them. Maybe have pizza or whatever you serve at the park and then go to the kid place.
Feb 1, 2010 1:20pm
Thread
Carve some Wild Things stamps and stamp the heck out of plain paper table cloth, napkins, cups, etc. Then, after the party make LTC's out of them!

Wild Rose
Feb 1, 2010 1:22pm
Thread
Could you do something with him that maybe, normally you are too busy for, like a special breakfast with fun shaped pancakes or something like that. Sometimes, those special things don't have to be the ones that cost a lot.-storm rider-
Feb 1, 2010 1:38pm
Thread
For my son's ninth birthday we invited a kid over for a sleepover. My husband borrowed the computer projector from work and they watched The Rocketeer projected onto the wall in our living room. They lay on the floor and ate popcorn.

The next morning we took them out for breakfast, and then my husband took them model airplane flying. Flying has a very high "cool" factor, but you could take the two boys letterboxing (or skating, or sledding, or whatever is available in your corner of the country). Kids don't need a big WOW factor to have a really good time, you know? In fact, if there's less wow, there's more time for them to just be friends.

Total cost was about $20, but he loved it and after his standard party with 10 kids this year, my son has asked for the small sleepover for next year.

I know this doesn't help with your Where the Wild Things are plans, but my point is that less is more. :)

Fiddleheads
Feb 1, 2010 1:44pm
Thread
Reply to: #486846 by The Five of Us
Feb 1, 2010 1:50pm
Thread
These are all great ideas! I'm starting to form a plan in my head; but, I'm still open to any thoughts or suggestions.
Reply to: #486850 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Feb 1, 2010 2:49pm
Thread
Here's a fun birthday cake.......I wish I lived close to you because I'd love to make this cake!

http://cdn.ripple6.com/e5f89b83-9654-43c2-a126-28c5070ac768-1152_864.JPG

If you're interested in making this cake.....you'll need white fondant for the teeth and I've got a great recipe for marshmallow fondant that is CHEAP and EASY and it works great. Just AQ mail me if you want it

Here's another cake that used candy corn for the teeth.......
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5643770/Fall2009004-main_Full.jpg

you could make the teeth out of anything flat-----fruit rollups.....
Reply to: #486864 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 1, 2010 2:52pm
Thread
P.S. that marshmallow fondant TASTES great too---much better than Wilton's storebought....
Re: Collecting
Reply to: #486405 by MO UR4Me
Feb 1, 2010 7:04pm
Thread
I gave each of my kids a "treasure box", a plastic shoe-box sized tub and they could collect whatever they wanted but it had to fit in the box.

My sons have boxes too. The deal is that they can keep what will fit in the box. When the box is full, it's time to make some choices! I think it's a good exercise in setting priorities. I also have a keepsake box and I also limit myself to what will fit in the box. There are 6 of us so the collections have to stay manageable. :) We have also determined that the toy shelves are about full, so new toys at Christmas and birthdays means some choices have to be made there too.

light travleres
Reply to: #486631 by how and kris
Feb 1, 2010 7:55pm
Thread
I had that for a bit and figured out that it was a new eye lotion I tried. Check if there is a new soap, laundry detergent, lotion, or any product or routine that has changed recently and discontinue use.
Warthog Day
Feb 2, 2010 12:23pm
Thread
My First Grader turned to me last night and excitedly announced asked if I knew that today is Warthog Day. She learned about it in school. So happy "Warthog Day", everyone! =)

Wild Rose
Re: Warthog Day
Reply to: #487188 by PBandJ
Feb 2, 2010 12:55pm
Thread
that's too cute!!
Feb 2, 2010 2:10pm
Thread
That is so funny! You should ask her what Warthog Day is and if anything special happens on this day. I bet the answer will be just as funny. ;)
Feb 2, 2010 8:27pm
Thread
What happens if the Warthog sees it's shadow? 6 more weeks of warts?

Leviathan
Reply to: #487371 by Leviathan
Feb 2, 2010 8:46pm
Thread
How many warts could a warthog hog if a warthog could hog warts?
Reply to: #487377 by 55 Steps
Feb 2, 2010 9:10pm
Thread
a warthog would hog all he could if a warthog could hog warts.

but why anyone or anything would want to hog warts is beyond me...

unless it was Hogwarts...

romana
Reply to: #487379 by Romana
Feb 3, 2010 4:40am
Thread
ok, it's entirely to early in the morning to be reading these!!! Must.....get.....coffeee......first!!! ROFLOL
Feb 3, 2010 8:08am
Thread
My second grader came home last month announcing that they learned all about King Arthur - - that his dad owned a church and he was a good man until some white man shot him.

It took a few minutes, but then I realized she was talking about Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feb 4, 2010 8:48am
Thread
How about a "where the wild things are" scavenger hunt type thing. YOu could give the boys a task list, such as "exercise your inner monster by spending 15 minutes in the bounce house." Report to base when finished" Then when the come back to "base" (your table) stamp a passport book, or give them a small prize for their goodie bag along with the next task. "Defeat the space monster by scoring at lest 2500 on Space Invaders" "Go wild with a banana split!"

Or, depending on the facility, you might be able to place colored dots or other pictures around and have the kids go on a hunt to see how many monster sightings they can make.

Feb 7, 2010 4:44pm
Thread
Do they already know what's going on? (Exactly where they are going etc)?
What about a treasure hunt that leads them to give you directions, in the car, to a couple places ending with the entertainment center? Or following the entertainment center with a trip to a fovorite ice cream place for sundaes or some other unusual treat? (You might be able to set it up to have a themed cupcake/clown cone thing ready and waiting w/candles if the owner's nice)

Sorry...I have a thing for treasure hunts!
This just in!
Feb 19, 2010 7:30pm
My sister-in-law reports what my niece learned in pre-school today:

E-L: 'Oh, we're learning about drawing, and 'sex'..'.
SIL: 'What?? Sex?'
E-L: 'Yeah, things like drawing and sex.'
SIL (again): 'WHAT, SEX???'
E-L: 'You know, like bugs!'.
SIL: 'Ooooh... INsects!' OMG I laughed so hard. :DD
momma letterboxes too much
Feb 26, 2010 4:00am
Thread
My 5 year old came home school with ink on his fingers. I asked what he had worked on in school that today. He said he was working on an art project.
So, I asked what kind of art project. He said, "I was stamping momma. But I did not letterbox at school." As if he would be in trouble letterboxing without me. Just made me laugh. Kids learn what they live!
Re: momma letterboxes too much
Reply to: #494553 by R2L2D-J
Feb 26, 2010 6:13am
Thread
Amen, sister!
Re: momma letterboxes too much
Reply to: #494553 by R2L2D-J
Feb 26, 2010 9:46am
Thread
"I was stamping momma. But I did not letterbox at school."

That is pretty sweet :o)
Re: 7 year old boy in the house
Reply to: #496078 by Traveling Garden Gnome
Mar 4, 2010 7:30pm
Thread
I am convinced that boys are wired differently than girls. My three daughters never did some of the stuff my grandson does! Have you asked "why?" yet?