A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: Find Date
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #983215 by AstroBeast
Feb 7, 2020 12:05am
Thread
My humble request is to please make this field more prominent.

No, do away with the default altogether. Date field should be blank until you click on it. Once you click on it, *then* today's date could come up as the default. If you don't click on it, when you try to post the log it comes back and says "Please enter a date for this log."
Reply to: #983221 by Kirbert
Feb 7, 2020 12:23pm
Thread
No, do away with the default altogether. Date field should be blank until you click on it.

I like this idea.... except for one thing. People who are recording a lot of finds from the same day (such as at a large event) might find it annoying to specify the date each time.

So.... what I've done instead is have the date not have a default the first time you record a find in a given session. After that, it will default to the last date you used.

Whenever you log out or otherwise start a new session, it will revert back to the default of no date being specified.

And it will give an error message if someone tries to submit the form without a date. =)

I also went ahead and redesigned the whole "record find" page just because it needed some other updates anyhow and added in that tweak.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #983252 by Green Tortuga
Feb 7, 2020 12:32pm
Thread
Thank you.
Reply to: #983252 by Green Tortuga
Feb 7, 2020 7:38pm
Thread
Thank you!
CC All Finders
Mar 10, 2020 4:40pm
Thread
How about a button on a box listing that you can click to send an AQ mail to all the finders of that box? Once clicked, an open AQ mail message could appear with all the finders' AQ mail addresses already entered. The sender could then edit the list as desired.

If it is felt this is too liberal, perhaps this feature could be limited only to the owner of that box, or perhaps to logged finders of that box. Or, of course, to only paid supporters of AQ.
Re: CC All Finders
Reply to: #984246 by Kirbert
Mar 10, 2020 7:32pm
Thread
Why? What possible reason is there to message all past finders of a box?
Reply to: #984249 by RIclimber
Mar 10, 2020 8:00pm
Thread
Sometimes I add a bonus box years after having planted a box--I'd want all the past finders to know about that addition.
Reply to: #984250 by Wronghat
Mar 10, 2020 11:35pm
Thread
Sometimes I add a bonus box years after having planted a box--I'd want all the past finders to know about that addition.

It'll show up as a "new listing" for those that meet the restrictions like any other box that gets listed. You don't have to spam them directly. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #984249 by RIclimber
Mar 11, 2020 12:47am
Thread
There are several situations I can think of where I'd like to tell previous finders about what's going on, such as the log book got destroyed and replaced with a new empty one.
Reply to: #984255 by Kirbert
Mar 11, 2020 2:42am
Thread
K said
There are several situations I can think of where I'd like to tell previous finders about what's going on, such as the log book got destroyed and replaced with a new empty one.

I'm confused, why would I care, if I've already found the box and it was okay then?
Any problems have already been addressed by a previous finder.
I usually leave comments about box conditions in the Box Comments and send a message to the owner and planter.
Mar 11, 2020 6:28am
Thread

So? I've found thousands of boxes in 40+ states. Honestly, I simply dont care what happens to a box after I find it. If you think telling me about a replacement logbook is for my benefit- please dont bother. There's a 99% chance I wouldn't return to stamp in again.
If you want a full logbook of finders and are expecting everyone to return- it's not going to happen. You should have picked a better spot and used a better container.

If you added to a series, I'll see it pop up on the new box listings, no need for an email.

Those who add a bonus box later, that kind of sucks. I'd have enjoyed getting it, but again I'm probably not going to return and refind the series just to get a single extra stamp.

Add in the people who never log online (or are extremely far behind like me) and you wouldn't be spamming everyone anyway.

About the only time you would need to message all is for past events, and that is already possible.
Reply to: #984253 by Green Tortuga
Mar 11, 2020 6:54am
Thread
That's cool.
Mar 11, 2020 6:58pm
Thread
Agreed with those other posts. I found the box. I’m not going to back and stamp in a new logbook. So why would it be of interest to me? I go back sometimes and look at boxes I find but I don’t need to get email about them. You can let future finders know in comments. If they don’t bother to read comments.....oh well.....
Mar 11, 2020 7:54pm
Thread

Agree that it kind of sucks to do that. Only people who live close enough to come back can get the box.
Reply to: #984286 by MissMoon
Mar 12, 2020 12:11pm
Thread
Agree that it kind of sucks to do that. Only people who live close enough to come back can get the box.

Sorry but my brain doesn't always work immediately and inspiration comes along when it comes along, sometimes later rather than sooner. Don't worry though--I don't feel any inspiration for adding a bonus box to the one box of mine that you have already found. Although now that I think about it.....
Reply to: #984297 by Wronghat
Mar 12, 2020 3:37pm
Thread
Don’t forget the person I was just agreeing with.
Reply to: #984297 by Wronghat
Mar 12, 2020 7:05pm
Thread
Sorry but my brain doesn't always work immediately and inspiration comes along when it comes along, sometimes later rather than sooner.

That comes to all of us with . . . something.

Oh yeah! ... with age.
Only map selected boxes
Mar 13, 2020 9:37am
Thread
Would it be possible to have the Map Results function only map selected boxes? (default = map all) the way the print clues option works? maybe using the same mechanism.......

That would be hugely helpful to me. I often only want to map the boxes on my agenda for the day - and usually its a subset of what I can whittle down from using the search options.
Re: Only map selected boxes
Reply to: #984311 by SherlockMiles
Mar 13, 2020 10:27am
Thread
Considering the usually poor geo tagging of the actual box location, I set waypoints using google maps at the actual box location, so false info doesn’t lead you astray.
Reply to: #984313 by Dawgdok
Mar 13, 2020 10:33am
Thread
I'm not looking for better locations. I've researched and updated box locations for those i'm interested in. if I've picked 8 boxes to do in a day, I'd prefer to see just those 8 - without having to go another program and create a map with each of the 8 locations. I've already updated the locations in the box listings and would prefer not to enter them twice. But a search to get all 8 in 1 search will usually garnish many other boxes that fit my search criteria, but I'm not interested in.
Reply to: #984311 by SherlockMiles
Mar 13, 2020 10:54am
Thread
Would it be possible to have the Map Results function only map selected boxes? (default = map all) the way the print clues option works? maybe using the same mechanism.......

That would be hugely helpful to me. I often only want to map the boxes on my agenda for the day - and usually its a subset of what I can whittle down from using the search options.

I just use a tag. Then I do an advanced search for wherever I am going and I show only those ones, which sounds like what you want.
Reply to: #984316 by Eidolon
Mar 13, 2020 11:38am
Thread
Totally agree with Eidolon.

Not sure if this works for Sherlock, but ... I reserve a couple tags for future letterboxing outings. Let's just say I see some boxes I want to do on a particular outing. Then I tag each - say I use the green apple. One of the widgets I have on My Page is Favorite Searches and one of the searches that I created and saved is "green boxes" (all the boxes that I tagged green apples). All I have to do to see my boxes for the day is click on "green boxes" and "Map Results" shows a map for those particular boxes. Only 2 clicks if I've set it all up. And if I'm on the trail and want to check on one of the boxes it's just AQ and 2 clicks (one for my green tagged list and one for the box). It's also very handy for logging in the boxes after the outing. No typing in name or AQ number.

You only need to set up the saved search(es) once. Then you have to tag boxes for a given outing and delete the tags afterwards (only 2 clicks - "check all" and "remove tags").

Just an idea...
Reply to: #984317 by roo
Mar 13, 2020 2:30pm
Thread
All of this already exists, and has for years.

At the top of your search results is “map results” but at the bottom, next to “print clues” is “map boxes”, which maps only the ones you select from the search.

And Dawgdok, as a premium member you can edit the location of any clue to whatever GPS coords you want, especially useful when you work out a mystery.

K
Reply to: #984321 by Kelsung
Mar 13, 2020 4:01pm
Thread
At the top of your search results is “map results” but at the bottom, next to “print clues” is “map boxes”, which maps only the ones you select from the search.

Yep, he's right. The button panel at the top of the page are the buttons that deal with all the boxes in the search while the buttons at the bottom of the results are for only selected boxes.

-- Ryan
Mar 13, 2020 7:41pm
Thread
Add a bonus box as in..make it a series? Rather than make a new mystery box and give a hint to return to the other box to gain the mystery box clue...
Reply to: #984341 by Flutterby-N-Caterpillar
Mar 13, 2020 9:23pm
Thread
Mystery box but with the clues on AQ
Listing Multiple LTCs
Mar 26, 2020 8:16am
Thread
I have a problem. I know one solution, but I don't like it. Could there be a better way?

Details: I joined an LTC swap which is a recurring swap.
Four times a year we make a card which is a variation on the same technique used on the previous cards. All the cards have the same title before the colon: different titles after I, e.g Wonderful Cards: My First One, Wonderful Cards: My Second One.
I created an LTC listing with the swap title, and added one box for each card I made/will make. Making the listing worked just fine.

The first round of the swap has occurred and someone wondered how this arrangement would work later - Will her find on the first card show up after she's found the second one, or will the date change in the same way it changes when someone finds a single traditional box, and then logs another find later on the same box - only the second date is recorded?
The latter case is what we got when we experimented.

The View Finds button shows a table with finders names and the names of the cards, but when the curious finder claimed a find on Card #4, just to see what happens, the find on Card #1 disappeared. However, the comment on Box #1 did not vanish.

I could make three new listings for Cards #2, #3, & #4, and remove them from the first listing.
That's not what I want to do this time because the cards are all related in theme and technique, like a series.
Is it possible, within reason, to make this work with the listing I currently have?
Could the finds on each card be recorded on the table as they occur?

Thanks!

Edit: OK, who sneaked in behind my back and changed that so quickly? Thanks!!
Maude
Re: Listing Multiple LTCs
Reply to: #984887 by Maude
Mar 26, 2020 9:52am
Thread
I have many series of LTC's listed as a single box number. I've never noticed a problem with old finds changing being removed when the next one is logged. Maybe it was a temporary bug?

Here's my largest active "series" https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=279197
Reply to: #984893 by RIclimber
Mar 26, 2020 10:46am
Thread
I would agree about a temporary bug. It was repaired within a minute of two of posting the message. Let's hope it's not contagious!
Reply to: #984887 by Maude
Mar 26, 2020 6:46pm
Thread
OK, who sneaked in behind my back and changed that so quickly?

I didn't change anything. I think there was a mistake in your experiments. =)

Each box in a series (regardless of whether it's an LTC, traditional or anything else) can have one find recorded on it per person. It's always been that way.

Some people mess things up when they add a new box to a series, changing the name of an existing box to be the name of the new box then adding the name of the old box to the new box listing. They're typically trying to get the boxes to show up in the right "order," but the finds stay with the actual box listing rather than the name of the box so when someone does that, it ends up showing finds on the wrong box. There's a specific mechanism in place so people can order the boxes differently without mixing up the finds, but I guess they don't realize it or can't figure out how to work it.

Maybe something like that happened in your experiments?

In any case, each LTC in your series can each have a separate find date by the same person.

-- Ryan