A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: Revealing finders of mystery boxes
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #980490 by Dawnkey
Oct 20, 2019 7:51pm
Thread
I was wondering if a feature could be added such that if one finds a mystery box, then that finder could see who else has found said box.

I'm not sure what this says about my personality but my first thought was that if this feature was implemented all someone who was curious about previous finders would have to do is claim a find, look at the real finders, and then delete their find.
Reply to: #980493 by PI Joe
Oct 20, 2019 9:46pm
Thread
Also, the finders who are "undisclosed" may have private logbooks, and want to keep their finds to themselves.
Reply to: #980494 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 21, 2019 4:22am
Thread
Also, the finders who are "undisclosed" may have private logbooks, and want to keep their finds to themselves.

That’s a different reason for a finder to appear as Undisclosed, and I’d never advocate for people who want to keep their logbooks private to be revealed. I was just suggesting it for when the system isn’t revealing finders’ identity, not for when the finders have that set as a preference.

PI Joe makes a good point, though, and I guess I don’t see a way around that one.
Reply to: #980490 by Dawnkey
Oct 22, 2019 6:05am
Thread
This may be a local thing but when I find a mystery box, I talk with the planter afterwards, and they often mention other finders. If you really want to know, ask the box owner.
Reply to: #980508 by Summerfun
Oct 22, 2019 7:50am
Thread
If you've found the box, check the logbook within it? :-) That's really the only way to know since many don't record finds.
Reply to: #980509 by MichKathy
Oct 22, 2019 8:06am
Thread
If you've found the box, check the logbook within it?

Absolutely, when possible. But like I said in my original post, the original logbook was gone. The previous finders had kindly replaced it, I think because it was mush.