About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Revealing finders of mystery boxes
Board: Suggestion Box
Oct 20, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
This certainly isn't crucial or high-priority, but I was wondering if a feature could be added such that if one finds a mystery box, then that finder could see who else has found said box. Currently finders of mystery boxes display as Undisclosed, which I get, but once a person has found it they might be curious to see who else has.

I know you can look at the actual logbook if it's there, but it's not always there. As an example, yesterday I found a mystery box. The previous finder was the first finder in many years. The logbook was a mess, so they graciously replaced it. When I found the box, I saw their stamp, but I became curious about who the early finders of this box might have been.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Kind of sort of like a trigger for when you find a parent box you can then see the listing of a bonus box.
Re: Revealing finders of mystery boxes
Reply to: #980490 by Dawnkey
Oct 20, 2019 7:51pm
Thread
I was wondering if a feature could be added such that if one finds a mystery box, then that finder could see who else has found said box.

I'm not sure what this says about my personality but my first thought was that if this feature was implemented all someone who was curious about previous finders would have to do is claim a find, look at the real finders, and then delete their find.
Reply to: #980493 by PI Joe
Oct 20, 2019 9:46pm
Thread
Also, the finders who are "undisclosed" may have private logbooks, and want to keep their finds to themselves.
Reply to: #980494 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 21, 2019 4:22am
Thread
Also, the finders who are "undisclosed" may have private logbooks, and want to keep their finds to themselves.

That’s a different reason for a finder to appear as Undisclosed, and I’d never advocate for people who want to keep their logbooks private to be revealed. I was just suggesting it for when the system isn’t revealing finders’ identity, not for when the finders have that set as a preference.

PI Joe makes a good point, though, and I guess I don’t see a way around that one.
Reply to: #980490 by Dawnkey
Oct 22, 2019 6:05am
Thread
This may be a local thing but when I find a mystery box, I talk with the planter afterwards, and they often mention other finders. If you really want to know, ask the box owner.
Reply to: #980508 by Summerfun
Oct 22, 2019 7:50am
Thread
If you've found the box, check the logbook within it? :-) That's really the only way to know since many don't record finds.
Reply to: #980509 by MichKathy
Oct 22, 2019 8:06am
Thread
If you've found the box, check the logbook within it?

Absolutely, when possible. But like I said in my original post, the original logbook was gone. The previous finders had kindly replaced it, I think because it was mush.
Suggestion with Events
Dec 6, 2019 12:42pm
Thread
Not sure how you could do this, but it would be pretty cool if on the Events page there was a map pinning the location of upcoming events. That would be an easy way to visually see events in specific areas.

If you can find time between your hiking adventures this may be a interesting/challenging project.

Thanks
NLW
Re: Suggestion with Events
Reply to: #981617 by NLW
Dec 6, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
You can map events
go to Events > advanced search
fill in criteria
run search
on the search results page, select map results
AQ Number on Mapped Searches
Jan 19, 2020 4:31am
Thread
Is it possible to add the AQ box number to the list of box names that appears with the mapped boxes after a search is performed? I print out this map instead of printing all of the clues when I am searching for multiple boxes and I find that it is easier to use the AQ number to pull up the clues on my phone. When I use a box name, I have to wade through a listing of boxes with similar names and having the AQ number on the map would save me from having to go back and write each one in.

Thanks,
Jan
Re: AQ Number on Mapped Searches
Reply to: #982671 by Janila
Jan 19, 2020 8:28am
Thread
'Tis done!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982676 by Green Tortuga
Jan 19, 2020 9:00am
Thread
Wow! Thank you so much!
Help with Keywords
Jan 19, 2020 8:17pm
Thread
When listing a new box, you start typing in a keyword and AQ starts offering suggestions of existing keywords so you can choose an existing one rather than creating a new one. Very helpful. It only works on the *first* keyword, though. Start typing in a second keyword and you're on your own.

It'd be nice if it'd offer the same help on every keyword you type in.
Re: Help with Keywords
Reply to: #982706 by Kirbert
Jan 19, 2020 10:16pm
Thread
It'd be nice if it'd offer the same help on every keyword you type in.

Yeah... that's actually a browser feature, though, that makes it work for the first keyword. I'd have to provide separate boxes for each keyword to make it work for all of them, though. I suppose that is an option, but it seems kind of messy to show half a dozen boxes for potential keywords.

Let me think about it.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982707 by Green Tortuga
Jan 19, 2020 10:58pm
Thread
Just a suggestion, but:

Yeah... that's actually a browser feature [...] I'd have to provide separate boxes for each keyword to make it work for all of them, though.

Provide one box that is big so that people can continue to do things the old way, and provide additional boxes so that it will work as desired (with the browser feature) by Kirbert.

Just a suggestion.
Simple Searches by Dates
Jan 20, 2020 4:06pm
Thread
Is there a way in which “Simple search” can include search by dates?
Reply to: #982709 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 21, 2020 7:20am
Thread
Provide one box that is big so that people can continue to do things the old way, and provide additional boxes so that it will work as desired (with the browser feature) by Kirbert.

That would actually work if used in another way: Type in a keyword, get the help. Start typing another keyword into the 2nd box, get help, when you see what keywords are available, type the one you want into the first box after a space. Then you can go back to the 2nd box and start typing in a 3rd keyword.
Reply to: #982723 by Kirbert
Jan 21, 2020 7:22am
Thread
I guess one reason I bring this up is because I'd really prefer to use an existing keyword rather than create a new one. I'm aware there are several in there that are simply misspellings of the same word. When the help comes up, you can just click on one, and that ensures that you're not creating a new keyword. Any method using the existing setup, though, requires fully typing in any keywords after the first one, and that's just asking for typos.
Re: Simple Searches by Dates
Reply to: #982715 by phynstar
Jan 21, 2020 12:11pm
Thread
Dates planted or dates found?

In Advanced Search you have some time frames to choose from for when boxes were planted but you can't do specific dates. Is that helpful?
Reply to: #982676 by Green Tortuga
Jan 21, 2020 12:43pm
Thread
I just attempted to use this new feature and I don't see AQ numbers anywhere on the map listing. I have refreshed several times, signed in and out of AQ at least 3 times and rebooted my phone twice. What am I missing?
Reply to: #982728 by Janila
Jan 21, 2020 1:19pm
Thread
I'm seeing the numbers after I hit Map results when doing a search. Scroll beneath the map with the balloons and the list of boxes appears along with AQ number.
Reply to: #982728 by Janila
Jan 21, 2020 1:19pm
Thread
I don't see AQ numbers anywhere on the map listing.

It shouldn't require any refreshing or logging in and out to see this update. What is the URL that you're looking at? All I can think of is that maybe you're looking on an entirely different map page, although off the top of my head I can only think of the one page that displays maps.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982715 by phynstar
Jan 21, 2020 3:48pm
Thread
Is there a way in which “Simple search” can include search by dates

Or figs, don't care much for dates, but I could really get behind a search by figs.
Reply to: #982729 by Wronghat
Jan 21, 2020 3:55pm
Thread
I'm seeing the numbers after I hit Map results when doing a search. Scroll beneath the map with the balloons and the list of boxes appears along with AQ number.

Not seeing them there.
Reply to: #982730 by Green Tortuga
Jan 21, 2020 4:16pm
Thread
What is the URL that you're looking at?

This was my test. I have tried it on my computer and my phone.
Reply to: #982727 by MissMoon
Jan 21, 2020 5:05pm
Thread
Sometimes I have a date for a found stamp, but no name under it. Even if an oldest/newest was offered?
Reply to: #982723 by Kirbert
Jan 21, 2020 7:45pm
Thread
That would actually work if used in another way: [....]

I didn't give enough information then.

What I mean is that multiple boxes are provided so that your browser fills in previous values. When submitted, AQ will combine all of the boxes into one, separated by commas.

But while I was thinking of this response, I came up with a better idea: Modern browsers support Javascript, or something better. As you finish typing into the first box, when you enter a space or comma, the keyword is appended to another box with all of the keywords. So (I'm not sure that the browser cache will work this way), the browser will learn all of the keywords, one at a time, and you get all of them in one field; the best of both worlds.

If the browser cache doesn't work this way then all of the keywords can be fetched by the Javascript and the page's code will do the matching.

Just a suggestion, and I don't know if it will work, but feel free to implement it. Again, I don't know if it will work or even be a high enough priority to even implement.
Reply to: #982744 by phynstar
Jan 21, 2020 8:26pm
Thread
I don’t know what you mean. And admin would have to make any changes anyway so...
Reply to: #982738 by Janila
Jan 21, 2020 9:55pm
Thread
Yep, that was on a page I forgot about. The URL for displaying the map of all boxes on a page of search results was different than the one for displaying just selected boxes of the results and I had forgotten about that only updating one of the two mapping pages.

They should both be updated now.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #982752 by Green Tortuga
Jan 22, 2020 2:31am
Thread
Great, thank you! I was beginning to think I was imagining things!