A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: Premium feature to help defend against geocaches
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #977730 by Kirbert
Jul 28, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
I'm not sure what the geocacher could do that you couldn't do for yourself. Set up an account on geocaching.com (free) and put a watch on the geocaches near your box. You'll get a notice every time someone logs a find.

I do.

The geocaching friend would likely care enough to have a premium geocaching.com account, meaning they would see more caches than a letterboxer who makes an account just for this purpose.
Reply to: #977767 by Dawnkey
Jul 29, 2019 11:19am
Thread
Ryan is out hiking and will not be around to respond to this for quite a while....if you really want him to chime in on this, it would be best to write an email directly to him with the information. I have no idea how feasible it would be, and by the time he gets back online this discussion will be way way down the list of things he will be reading. So an email will put it up to him faster.

-amanda from seattle
Reply to: #977741 by detective
Jul 29, 2019 2:30pm
Thread
They have rules for everything -- except playing nice w/ letterboxes, apparently. I can just imagine the response one would get to a post on a groundspeak forum suggesting that geocachers log on here and review AQ to make sure they're not poaching a site from a letterboxer before planting a cache.

And while I realize we have far more to lose, thus making our watching them more of an imperative than the other way around, it still irritates me. I think a more satisfying course of action would be logging repeated DNF logs (that's a thing, right?) on their cache until the listing is removed, assuming the owner can't be persuaded.

There have been stories where geocachers have been accommodating to letterboxers and moved their caches. I'd be interested in knowing how often that worked.
Reply to: #977833 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 29, 2019 2:44pm
Thread
Ryan is out hiking and will not be around to respond to this for quite a while.

Yeah, I absolutely CANNOT speak for him, and haven't jumped in exactly because of that. But... my personal opinion is that this is extremely unlikely. The biggest thing is that letterbox clue "Location" is the BEGINNING of the hunt. So it is 98% of the time completely useless from an automation standpoint (feeding those coordinates into some Geocache Locator). So then it is up to the Planter to enter the ACTUAL box location, and to do that (in a way that would be in any way possible for locating Geocaches), they would have to take the exact coordinates AT THE BOX. ANd then enter them into a webpage somewhere (since this is NOT currently part of the AQ clue-listing information)... of course, there COULD be a new field where someone could enter that, but if the planter has to enter it into a webpage, they might as well enter it into the Geocache site just as easily as AQ.

That doesn't even begin to take into account any sort of technical communications/APIs that would need to be implemented between the sites. Sure, AQ could possibly work out something with Geocache.com (is there $ involved for high-volume API calls?), but then that's just to see if EXISTING geocaches are near the box. What about GCs planted AFTER the LB? AQ would have to run some (nightly?) query to the GC.com site trying to discover newly planted/moved/removed GCs, and then compare that against ALL the LBs that it knows the locations of.

And of course, since all this requires NEW information (coordinates), it would not apply to any currently existing LB. So planters would only get the benefit for new plants (with coordinates), or have to figure out and enter coordinates for existing plants.

It's possibly all TECHNICALLY feasible... but the amount of gotchas and holes and effort/work/cost involved would (again, just my GUESS) highly outweigh the murky benefit.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply to: #977833 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 31, 2019 5:54pm
Thread
Ryan is out hiking and will not be around to respond to this for quite a while....

I'm reading the thread (I always read threads on the Suggestion Box board), but haven't had anything to contribute so far. Just keeping an open mind and seeing what you all think. =)

But I mostly agree with Wassa's post. Thanks for taking the time to write all that up for me!

-- Ryan
Omit Quotes in Quickie View of My Newest Posts
Aug 6, 2019 12:16pm
In the "My Newest Posts" widget, if you hover over one of the posts it brings up the first line or two of the post, handy for remembering which post was which. However, if the post began with a quote from someone else's post, it brings that up first -- and doesn't mark it as a quote, it simply includes it as part of what you wrote. It's weird. My suggestion is to alter this little summary to omit the quotes and include only the non-quoted text. Is that doable?
Muggle Cards in Spanish?
Aug 16, 2019 7:22pm
Thread
Hi! Dad had a suggestion... (gasp! I think he is slightly hooked. ;) )

I have a box that I planted in a store in an area where much of the cleaning staff speaks Spanish. We think that someone cleaned the area a little too well and may have gotten rid of the box.

Dad's suggestion is Muggle Cards translated into Spanish (there might be a way to do this anyway...?) then I could put a Muggle Card in both English and Spanish on the box.

Thanks for everything!
-PLP
Re: Muggle Cards in Spanish?
Reply to: #978429 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Aug 16, 2019 8:41pm
Thread
I have a translated version. I can send you a pic.
Aug 17, 2019 2:51am
Thread
Google translate..... it's a beautiful thing!
Reply to: #978436 by Public Hand
Aug 17, 2019 10:56am
Thread
Google translate makes an understandable translation, but its translations are not beautiful. That it exists is beautiful.

A human who is a native speaker should always have the final say.
Reply to: #978451 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 17, 2019 11:08am
Thread
While I agree that some of the translations can be a bit iffy, French is absolutely magnificent on there (yes I'm a native speaker) and, according to our housekeepers, the Spanish is excellent.
Reply to: #978452 by Public Hand
Aug 17, 2019 1:26pm
Thread
We have met and I was unaware that you are a native speaker of French.

I would still have a native speaker look over any translation though.

I only use Google translate on Spanish and Portuguese to get the words I am not familiar with. My recent experience with Google translate on longer texts is from putting logs from caches I watch through the process: German or Dutch to English. They are a rough. And for the Ape cache in Brazil, there are surprisingly few logs in Portuguese, mostly English and German.
Reply to: #978457 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 17, 2019 3:53pm
Thread
I did my translation with both a Cuban and Mexican friend, so I feel confident it’s understandable no matter the persons origin. Alas, it’s saved on my work computer so I’ll share it with whoever wants to see it on Monday.
Aug 19, 2019 2:03pm
Thread
Side 1 Muggle card:
Para obtener mas acerca de las cartas en cajas por favor visite los siguientes recursos en linea:

Atlas Quest
http://www.atlasquest.com

Cartas en cajas of North America

http://www.letterboxing.org
http://www.letterboxing.info

Side 2 Muggle Card:

Que son cartas en cajas?
Cartas en cajas es un intrigante pasatiempo artistico con abilidad de “encontrar un tesoro” en lugares preciosos de paisajes. Participantes buscando cartas en cajas escondidas deben de seguir las siguientes pistas, y despues escribir el descubrimiento en su diario personal con la ayuda de un sello que esta dentro de la caja. En adicion, cajas de cartas tienen su propio sello que se usa para marcar detro de su diario personal.

Not translated word for word, but for the meaning.
Reply to: #978570 by Trishee
Aug 19, 2019 2:38pm
Thread
Doesn't "carta" mean "letter" (postage) or "playing card"? And we had a discussion a few years ago about what word to use in Spanish for "stamp"; I think we settled on "estampa".
Reply to: #978571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 19, 2019 3:12pm
Thread
Hmm. Maybe this is not my final draft? I never used them much after we did these. I don't like planting so I hadn't even opened this file in years!
Reply to: #978571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 20, 2019 7:32am
Thread
We use "sello de goma" for rubber stamp (so for our hand carves) and estampa for stamp (as in postage)
Reply to: #978570 by Trishee
Aug 20, 2019 4:27pm
Thread
If you want to add proper punctuation and accent marks, here are my suggestions:

Para obtener más acerca de las cartas en cajas, por favor visite los siguientes recursos en linea:

Side 2 Muggle Card:

¿Qué son cartas en cajas?
... después escribir el descubrimiento en su diario personal con la ayuda de un sello que está dentro de la caja. Adicionalmente, cajas de cartas tienen su própio sello que se usa para marcar dentro de su diario personal.
Reply to: #978622 by speedsquare
Aug 20, 2019 7:40pm
Thread
Thanks. I’m not sure this was my final draft, I haven’t used any cards in forever, so this is helpful. It’s so nice to get advice from a letterboxer since my bilingual friends have basically no clue what it is 😆
Reply to: #978625 by Trishee
Aug 21, 2019 12:01am
Thread
Should your cards be written in Castilian Spanish or in the common dialect of the region you're planting the box in?
Reply to: #978631 by Kirbert
Aug 21, 2019 7:07am
Thread
This is Vegas, baby! People's English here doesn't even translate the same as the next person lol.
Aug 25, 2019 3:54pm
Thread
Thank you so much everybody!!! All of your posts have been so helpful! I hope you all have a fun day!
Hugs!
-PLP
Mail Select All option
Sep 16, 2019 1:04pm
Is there supposed to be a Select All option on the mail screen so that we don't have to click each item we want to move/delete/whatever? I found a reference to it on the message boards, but I can't find it (using Chrome or FF).

If there is not supposed to be one, may we please have one?

I just thought I would clean up my notifications that I should have been deleting all along...

Thanks!
Revealing finders of mystery boxes
Oct 20, 2019 6:47pm
Thread
This certainly isn't crucial or high-priority, but I was wondering if a feature could be added such that if one finds a mystery box, then that finder could see who else has found said box. Currently finders of mystery boxes display as Undisclosed, which I get, but once a person has found it they might be curious to see who else has.

I know you can look at the actual logbook if it's there, but it's not always there. As an example, yesterday I found a mystery box. The previous finder was the first finder in many years. The logbook was a mess, so they graciously replaced it. When I found the box, I saw their stamp, but I became curious about who the early finders of this box might have been.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Kind of sort of like a trigger for when you find a parent box you can then see the listing of a bonus box.
Re: Revealing finders of mystery boxes
Reply to: #980490 by Dawnkey
Oct 20, 2019 7:51pm
Thread
I was wondering if a feature could be added such that if one finds a mystery box, then that finder could see who else has found said box.

I'm not sure what this says about my personality but my first thought was that if this feature was implemented all someone who was curious about previous finders would have to do is claim a find, look at the real finders, and then delete their find.
Reply to: #980493 by PI Joe
Oct 20, 2019 9:46pm
Thread
Also, the finders who are "undisclosed" may have private logbooks, and want to keep their finds to themselves.
Reply to: #980494 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 21, 2019 4:22am
Thread
Also, the finders who are "undisclosed" may have private logbooks, and want to keep their finds to themselves.

That’s a different reason for a finder to appear as Undisclosed, and I’d never advocate for people who want to keep their logbooks private to be revealed. I was just suggesting it for when the system isn’t revealing finders’ identity, not for when the finders have that set as a preference.

PI Joe makes a good point, though, and I guess I don’t see a way around that one.
Reply to: #980490 by Dawnkey
Oct 22, 2019 6:05am
Thread
This may be a local thing but when I find a mystery box, I talk with the planter afterwards, and they often mention other finders. If you really want to know, ask the box owner.
Reply to: #980508 by Summerfun
Oct 22, 2019 7:50am
Thread
If you've found the box, check the logbook within it? :-) That's really the only way to know since many don't record finds.
Reply to: #980509 by MichKathy
Oct 22, 2019 8:06am
Thread
If you've found the box, check the logbook within it?

Absolutely, when possible. But like I said in my original post, the original logbook was gone. The previous finders had kindly replaced it, I think because it was mush.