Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: Plant Date for Reserved Boxes
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #975308 by cooledcoyote
May 19, 2019 1:15pm
Thread
So not done. Ok

The plant date isn't the same as the "creation date." The plant date is set to whatever date you activate a reserved box and can be edited and changed by the owner. The creation date doesn't change. Ever.

So yes done. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975314 by Green Tortuga
May 19, 2019 9:20pm
Thread
Any "creation date" (I know what you are referring to, just sounds like a newish term) that falls outside the PAL "window" precludes a box from PAL consideration? I'm not a PAL fan, just would like a clarification since I'm not seeing an issue reserving an idea to work on over a period of time in hopes of creating a quality product and then executing the actual box during the PAL parameters. I can't imagine the conception to fruition for a legitimate PAL box has to be within that short time frame.

-confused in Chelmsford

PS How about a PyFB (plant you finest box) day once a year.

PPS If this line of questioning is silly, please refer to our trail name.
Reply to: #975323 by dingus dufus
May 19, 2019 10:26pm
Thread
Any "creation date" that falls outside the PAL "window" precludes a box from PAL consideration?

Yes.

I'm not seeing an issue reserving an idea to work on over a period of time in hopes of creating a quality product and then executing the actual box during the PAL parameters.

I don't see an issue with that either--but it won't count as a PAL Day box because there were issues in the past with people who planted several dozen boxes over a period of months then activated all the boxes at once on PAL Day... which kind of defeats the whole purpose of PAL Day. So I stopped counting those, and the easiest way for me to identify boxes that were really planted long before PAL Day was the creation date.

If it knocks a few of the legitimate plants out from being counted.... Well, I made the rules clear. And if it's just a "placeholder" with a name, it's not hard for someone to delete the reserved listing and just create a fresh one.

But basically, it's a legacy from people abusing the system in years past. In fact, several of the rules were created due to past abuses.

-- Ryan
Minor quibble regarding PAL widget.
May 24, 2019 6:36pm
Thread
Map is great. It's great that when the state number of boxes found is clicked, that the boxes LISTED for PAL day from that state are listed on a search page. But PAL boxes LISTED on May 23rd and May 25th, but PLANTED on May 24th don't appear on that search page. Is it a quick and easy fix to switch that LISTED to PLANTED?
Re: Minor quibble regarding PAL widget.
Reply to: #975462 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 6:53pm
Thread
Is it a quick and easy fix to switch that LISTED to PLANTED?

Not really. There's not a search option for the plant date, so there's basically a hack in the widget to limit the counts further. It not only limits boxes listed between May 23rd and May 25th, but also limits the creation date between the 17th and 25th, limits box counts to 20 per person, etc.

For the search page to show up with only PAL Day boxes, I'd have to add support for all those options--which isn't very trivial.

So... the widget just creates the best link that it can for a search, but admittedly, it's not the exact list that's being counted because of the limitations of the search options.

And it was a lot more fun making a map of the plants for PAL Day than adding new search options for the Advance Search page. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975463 by Green Tortuga
May 24, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
Too minor of a quibble to open a can of worms. It's amazing that it gets the count right with all those alternatives.
Reply to: #975464 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
It's amazing that it gets the count right with all those alternatives.

It's a total hack. If the code actually got used more than one day a year, I'd definitely put more time and effort into it. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975465 by Green Tortuga
May 24, 2019 7:37pm
Thread
If the code actually got used more than one day a year, I'd definitely put more time and effort into it. *nodding*

I know. That's why I was surprised to see the map.
Reply to: #975466 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 7:46pm
Thread
That's why I was surprised to see the map.

Yeah, I spent all morning working on that and I probably had better things I could work on, but sometimes I just like to do stuff for fun and this was one of them.

And! I already had density maps available on profiles for premium members, so mostly I just refactored the code so it could be used in multiple places with any sort of data. There might come a day when I want to use those maps for other data, or use the code for a world map (or Canadian map), or use a density map on another website and now... I can add it pretty easily.

It's all in a fairly neat, portable package. I can switch out the maps easily. I can switch out the data easily. And I can switch out the website it's used on easily.

If it had already been factored into this neat little package, I could have added the PAL Day map in maybe 5 minutes? Super quick and easy! The refactoring took all morning, but I'm thinking I'll have other uses for it someday and now that work is already done. =)

And I had fun working on it. Work is supposed to be fun! *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975464 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 9:35pm
Thread
I think I confused the widget.. Texas shows 2 boxes but click on it and it only brings up one. The box is connected to two AQ accounts so maybe its counting planters not plants? Or it's only showing me mine and there really is another PAL box in texas?
Reply to: #975469 by PurpleNic
May 24, 2019 10:29pm
Thread
Texas shows 2 boxes but click on it and it only brings up one.

The search it brings up is only a close approximate of the actual boxes counted for PAL Day. There is, in fact, another box listed yesterday that's being counted for PAL Day.

-- Ryan
Today is D-Day
Jun 6, 2019 3:00am
Thread
Any chance of a D-Day theme for future June 6ths?

To those who gave their all, are still giving and will in the future,
THANK YOU.
Re: Today is D-Day
Reply to: #975964 by Grrly Girl
Jun 6, 2019 3:52am
Thread
Great idea GG! What a tribute that would be to the greatest generation and all their families!

We all enjoy our freedoms due to the unselfish dedication of our young men and women, in the past, present and future! GBA
Feedback x 4
Jul 3, 2019 7:13am
Thread
Foremost, thanks so much for creating and maintaining a great website. Please take any of my feedback as earnest, positive thoughts to encourage an increase in AQ's grandeur!

1) Squeaky wheel. I'm not fond of the new manual dancing Update button when adjusting logbook searches. Perhaps it's necessary for server efficiency. Still, if returning to auto Update for all users isn't an option, perhaps provide an option to turn auto Update on for premium users.

2) Marketing idea. I'm not much of a board posting/reading person. Probably many other AQ users aren't as well. Consider sending a short email quarterly newsletter to inform users along with a non-binding poll out to premium users to request suggestions/prioritize feature update requests. If this targeted newsletter became a perk of premium/lifetime membership I think you might see a sizable increase in paid membership to boost AQ's revenue. Non-premium members might get the newsletter too, but only voting privilege if they join as a premium member. An option to opt out of newsletter is probably sensible as well.

3) Bell and whistle! A button/link that exported AQ calendar events to my google calendar remains my biggest wish :D My latest brainstorm: as a second level feature a similar button/link could be integrated into each Box Details page to schedule box planning into ones google calendar. Next to having an AI plan my boxing path (lol) this would be superbly awesome, especially if the location, and clue text were exported into the calendar item for offline use, saving paper as well. Yeah I know it's a bit of a pie in the sky request...so take it fwiw.

4) Mobile app mantra. Box Radar was sweet, alas now defunct. Clue Tracker is pretty good, so I bit the bullet and bought it as a rare mobile purchase. So take it as a data point, that if you made an AQ app as awesome as the website and tweaked for handheld, I'd bet you'd get a lot of people paying $ for it.

Did I mention, AQ is awesome...glad to be a premium member!

Thanks!

River Sol
Re: Feedback x 4
Reply to: #976939 by River Sol
Jul 3, 2019 10:17am
Thread
I like the Update button. With the auto update, it didn't always happen, which may have been a temporary state after the initial logbook changes, but it happened very often to me.
Re: Feedback x 4
Reply to: #976941 by SherlockMiles
Jul 4, 2019 11:13am
Thread
I also like it because I like to be in control of it updating rather than the page automatically updating even if I touched the wrong choice. Plus, the moving update button catches my attention
Atlasquest and Lbna
Jul 8, 2019 3:26am
Thread
Some listings on Atlasquest
have clues that automatically
Switch over to Lbna. Some have been archived on Lbna.
Some boxes I have found on Atlasquest but don’t show updated info for same box on Lbna.
Re: Atlasquest and Lbna
Reply to: #977057 by buttercup60
Jul 8, 2019 4:49am
Thread
Those are true statements. What is your suggestion? The two sites are independent. It is the responsibility of the planter to maintain their clues, not the site managers
Jul 8, 2019 5:24am
Thread
As was posted, these actions are totally up to planters and finders.

Some boxes I have found on Atlasquest but don’t show updated info for same box on Lbna.

Lots of people may log a find on AQ and not think about doing it on LBNA or may not even be aware that the box is listed on LBNA. Many of the LBNA boxes are not links from AQ.

Are you asking a question?
Jul 8, 2019 9:18am
Thread
Some listings on Atlasquest have clues that automatically Switch over to Lbna.

I wouldn't say it's automatic.... People who listed a box on LbNA then relist it on AQ have to deliberately link their AQ listing to the LbNA listing. It's not at all automatic!

I'd agree with the rest of your statements, but as others have already asked, what's your suggestion? If your suggestion is that the two sites should show the same data... unfortunately, that won't happen.

These are two completely independently run websites. I can't update information on LbNA and LbNA can't update information on Atlas Quest.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #977084 by Green Tortuga
Jul 8, 2019 11:32am
Thread
Thank you. Guess I chose the wrong option to post a comment. Still new to where and how to post. I don’t have any suggestions but your answer covered everything.
buttercup60