Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: Posting pics of images that are not yours
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972765 by Wry Me
Mar 16, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
Nah. I like the newbs.

That is why I answered with snarky sarcasm.

We understand you more than you would like to know.

I was fortunate enough to be mentored by some pretty awesome boxers long before I approached the wider community.

I usually wait for Wassamata U to make the self-congratulatory comment, but yes, we are pretty awesome.

Dial-ups, BBS's, non-graphical interfaces, ftp, rtfm files, that awesome sound your modem made getting connected, getting kicked off when the phone had in incoming call, black & white monitors, being ecstatic when you watch someone type a message to you letter-by-letter in real-time! Does this sound like a "Grandma, tell us about the dinosaurs!" post? Please shoot me.

Dial-up modem to Grandma Dinosaur.
Re: Posting pics of images that are not yours
Reply to: #972768 by Snark
Mar 16, 2019 7:19pm
Thread
Dial-up modem.

That was oddly comforting.
Make "Your Tags" Visible (again)
Mar 18, 2019 5:17am
Thread
Is there a way to make the colored "Your Tags" visible again?

If I go to Rocklun's Plant profile, I want to know which of her 530 plants I completed (tagged red). I see the found date to the right, however, if I need one stamp in a series of 4, this is where the visible color coding helps.

The color coding helps me when I am working on puzzle/mysteries I code them (yellow), printed clues (orange), etc.. Each color denotes a specific action item.

Thank you.
Re: Make "Your Tags" Visible (again)
Reply to: #972828 by Arf!
Mar 18, 2019 5:31am
Thread
Is there a way to make the colored "Your Tags" visible again?

I miss them also but you can find them by doing an advanced search. Put Rocklun's name in the owner or planter field near the bottom of the search page and then choose the color tags that you want to search for. Then click on "and" so it chooses any of her boxes which have a particular color or colors of tags.

If you are just looking for tags of a particular color, do the same thing but don't put a name in the owner/planter boxes.

You can then save those searches so you don't have to repeat them.
Easier Quotes
Mar 18, 2019 10:41am
Thread
On another forum I partake of, they have a vastly superior quote scheme. When you wish to reply to a posting or a particular part of a posting, you just select that text. As soon as some text is selected, up pops a "quote" tag adjacent to the selection. Click on that, and it automagically opens a new reply with the quote already in it, complete with the citation.

What's more, if you want to respond to several comments, after you type your response to the first, you can simply go back and select another passage, hit "quote" again, and it appends that quote to the bottom of the reply you've already begun. And the subsequent quotes don't even have to be from the same original message, you can reply to different postings all in the same reply. The entire thread is still visible, you can scroll back and forth on it to choose passages to quote.

This system works so well that when I get back here on AQ I miss it. Having to cobble together a quote here feels archaic and inefficient by comparison.

The system I'm talking about is at jag-lovers.org:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/

I dunno how well it'll work for non-members. I think it's viewable by the public, but I dunno if you can reply.
Re: Make "Your Tags" Visible (again)
Reply to: #972829 by Janila
Mar 18, 2019 10:46am
Thread
I am aware of the advanced search function, however it used to show itself automatically no matter if you were viewing under someone else's profile or a list by location.
It's more steps to get to it rifling through by different avenues.
Sometimes the old way is still a good way.
Re: Easier Quotes
Reply to: #972838 by Kirbert
Mar 18, 2019 2:06pm
Thread
I think that might be a difference in the fact that that is a forum and this is a board. forums seem much more user friendly, where as boards seem to be a bit outdated and simpler in functions. I frequent a few forums, and they are much easier to follow for many reasons. One I use has a quote button you push so no selecting text (unless you want to cut some out) and has the option to quote multiple messages in a thread like you mentioned.

I'm thinking it would not be easy to switch from a board to a forum.
Re: Easier Quotes
Reply to: #972838 by Kirbert
Mar 21, 2019 8:07am
Thread
This system works so well that when I get back here on AQ I miss it. Having to cobble together a quote here feels archaic and inefficient by comparison.

Yup.
Tracker listings in logbook
Apr 7, 2019 8:52pm
Thread
Is there a way I can set the default viewing for trackers to Launch date (newest to oldest), rather than alphabetical?

Also, is it possible to get the tag codes to show on the main listing of all my trackers in the log book? It doesn't make sense to have different tag codes for carved, waiting, black-holed, etc, but then not be able to see them without having to click on each individual tracker to see the details. The tags are an easy way to see the status of all trackers all at once.
"My Page" Suggestion
Apr 8, 2019 11:26am
Thread
Hey GT!

Any chance we could have an option to hide our plants on the "Newest Letterboxes" section of the "My Page" page?

Just curious since I don't need to see my plants when looking at the newest letterboxes in my area.

Thanks!
BB
Re: "My Page" Suggestion
Reply to: #973950 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 8, 2019 1:55pm
Thread
This is something about which I have thought, too, yet I did not think to ask.
Reply to: #973959 by RDHG
Apr 8, 2019 2:29pm
Thread
I like having my plants listed under “Newest Boxes” on My Page. I’m always curious about how many clue hits my plants get and that makes a quick link.
Reply to: #973950 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 17, 2019 6:28am
Thread
Any chance we could have an option to hide our plants on the "Newest Letterboxes" section of the "My Page" page?

It's been added! By default, people will still see their plants (people sometimes freak out when they don't see their plants thinking nobody can see it), but there's now an option for the widget to change the default.

Happy trails!

-- Ryan
Re: Tracker listings in logbook
Reply to: #973915 by BaliWho
Apr 27, 2019 4:34pm
Thread
Is there a way I can set the default viewing for trackers to Launch date (newest to oldest), rather than alphabetical?

It'll now work like this.... as long as the last view you looked at isn't alphabetical already. If you look at boxes alphabetically then switch to trackers, for instance, it'll still show up as alphabetical. But if you were viewing finds by newest first then switch to tracker signups, it'll display based on launch date.

So.... I've partially implemented this. =)

-- Ryan
Deleted/Unlisted Plants Location
May 8, 2019 8:50am
Could the deleted plants retain their state and/or city information? If not, could deleted and unlisted finds have locations added?
Plant Date for Reserved Boxes
May 17, 2019 6:14pm
Thread
I would like to suggest that the Plant Date for Reserved box names should be when the box is made active rather than the date it is created in AQ. I reserve my box names in advance of planting but when I plant it the date may show many months prior to when it actually is planted.

Maybe when clues get updated, the boxes can show in the New Letterbox thread (maybe starred or something noting the clues are new).
Re: Plant Date for Reserved Boxes
Reply to: #975289 by Phoenix Rizing
May 17, 2019 7:29pm
Thread
I would like to suggest that the Plant Date for Reserved box names should be when the box is made active rather than the date it is created in AQ.

Done!

Maybe when clues get updated, the boxes can show in the New Letterbox thread

That list is about new letterboxes, not new clues. People who want to know when a clue is changed can put a watch on the box.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975292 by Green Tortuga
May 18, 2019 7:32pm
Thread
Thank you!
Reply to: #975292 by Green Tortuga
May 19, 2019 5:21am
Thread
Does this mean a box name I reserved back in Nov 2018 will now count for the PAL day total if I plant it now and activate it on May 24th?
Reply to: #975305 by cooledcoyote
May 19, 2019 8:12am
Thread
Does this mean a box name I reserved back in Nov 2018 will now count for the PAL day total if I plant it now and activate it on May 24th?

No. The Rules and Regulations state that the reserved box can't be listed until May 17th.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975307 by Green Tortuga
May 19, 2019 8:26am
Thread
I would like to suggest that the Plant Date for Reserved box names should be when the box is made active rather than the date it is created in AQ.

Done!

So not done. Ok
Reply to: #975308 by cooledcoyote
May 19, 2019 1:15pm
Thread
So not done. Ok

The plant date isn't the same as the "creation date." The plant date is set to whatever date you activate a reserved box and can be edited and changed by the owner. The creation date doesn't change. Ever.

So yes done. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975314 by Green Tortuga
May 19, 2019 9:20pm
Thread
Any "creation date" (I know what you are referring to, just sounds like a newish term) that falls outside the PAL "window" precludes a box from PAL consideration? I'm not a PAL fan, just would like a clarification since I'm not seeing an issue reserving an idea to work on over a period of time in hopes of creating a quality product and then executing the actual box during the PAL parameters. I can't imagine the conception to fruition for a legitimate PAL box has to be within that short time frame.

-confused in Chelmsford

PS How about a PyFB (plant you finest box) day once a year.

PPS If this line of questioning is silly, please refer to our trail name.
Reply to: #975323 by dingus dufus
May 19, 2019 10:26pm
Thread
Any "creation date" that falls outside the PAL "window" precludes a box from PAL consideration?

Yes.

I'm not seeing an issue reserving an idea to work on over a period of time in hopes of creating a quality product and then executing the actual box during the PAL parameters.

I don't see an issue with that either--but it won't count as a PAL Day box because there were issues in the past with people who planted several dozen boxes over a period of months then activated all the boxes at once on PAL Day... which kind of defeats the whole purpose of PAL Day. So I stopped counting those, and the easiest way for me to identify boxes that were really planted long before PAL Day was the creation date.

If it knocks a few of the legitimate plants out from being counted.... Well, I made the rules clear. And if it's just a "placeholder" with a name, it's not hard for someone to delete the reserved listing and just create a fresh one.

But basically, it's a legacy from people abusing the system in years past. In fact, several of the rules were created due to past abuses.

-- Ryan
Minor quibble regarding PAL widget.
May 24, 2019 6:36pm
Thread
Map is great. It's great that when the state number of boxes found is clicked, that the boxes LISTED for PAL day from that state are listed on a search page. But PAL boxes LISTED on May 23rd and May 25th, but PLANTED on May 24th don't appear on that search page. Is it a quick and easy fix to switch that LISTED to PLANTED?
Re: Minor quibble regarding PAL widget.
Reply to: #975462 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 6:53pm
Thread
Is it a quick and easy fix to switch that LISTED to PLANTED?

Not really. There's not a search option for the plant date, so there's basically a hack in the widget to limit the counts further. It not only limits boxes listed between May 23rd and May 25th, but also limits the creation date between the 17th and 25th, limits box counts to 20 per person, etc.

For the search page to show up with only PAL Day boxes, I'd have to add support for all those options--which isn't very trivial.

So... the widget just creates the best link that it can for a search, but admittedly, it's not the exact list that's being counted because of the limitations of the search options.

And it was a lot more fun making a map of the plants for PAL Day than adding new search options for the Advance Search page. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975463 by Green Tortuga
May 24, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
Too minor of a quibble to open a can of worms. It's amazing that it gets the count right with all those alternatives.
Reply to: #975464 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
It's amazing that it gets the count right with all those alternatives.

It's a total hack. If the code actually got used more than one day a year, I'd definitely put more time and effort into it. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975465 by Green Tortuga
May 24, 2019 7:37pm
Thread
If the code actually got used more than one day a year, I'd definitely put more time and effort into it. *nodding*

I know. That's why I was surprised to see the map.
Reply to: #975466 by Wronghat
May 24, 2019 7:46pm
Thread
That's why I was surprised to see the map.

Yeah, I spent all morning working on that and I probably had better things I could work on, but sometimes I just like to do stuff for fun and this was one of them.

And! I already had density maps available on profiles for premium members, so mostly I just refactored the code so it could be used in multiple places with any sort of data. There might come a day when I want to use those maps for other data, or use the code for a world map (or Canadian map), or use a density map on another website and now... I can add it pretty easily.

It's all in a fairly neat, portable package. I can switch out the maps easily. I can switch out the data easily. And I can switch out the website it's used on easily.

If it had already been factored into this neat little package, I could have added the PAL Day map in maybe 5 minutes? Super quick and easy! The refactoring took all morning, but I'm thinking I'll have other uses for it someday and now that work is already done. =)

And I had fun working on it. Work is supposed to be fun! *nodding*

-- Ryan