Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: Spoiler Tag
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #970334 by wassamatta u
Jan 14, 2019 7:32pm
Thread
I see. Thanks!

And no one is special in the way that wassa is special.
Reply to: #970333 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 14, 2019 7:34pm
Thread
It should be called the "peek a boo" or a "ghost" tag because it's hidden! :)
Reply to: #970337 by gemini girl
Jan 15, 2019 4:52pm
Thread
Virtual pin-up censor bars. With detailed descriptions underneath.
Reply to: #970357 by Wry Me
Jan 15, 2019 5:05pm
Thread
Virtual pin-up censor bars

👍
report find (when it is an attempt) vs report status(?)
Feb 14, 2019 5:47pm
Thread
Hi! Mom had a suggestion (and she does very limited stuff on the website so I am helping out here)...
She finds it rather confusing when she has given a box a good attempt (but can't find it) and then goes to report the attempt (NOT a find) but has to do so under "report finds". She is suggesting "report status" so that this would cover finds and attempts (and hopefully not be as confusing (?)).

Thanks for everything!
-PLP
Re: report find (when it is an attempt) vs report status(?)
Reply to: #971465 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Feb 14, 2019 6:43pm
Thread
She finds it rather confusing when she has given a box a good attempt (but can't find it) and then goes to report the attempt (NOT a find) but has to do so under "report finds". She is suggesting "report status" so that this would cover finds and attempts (and hopefully not be as confusing (?)).

I think you mean "record find" instead of "report finds." So I think you mean your mom would like "record find" changed to "report status."
Reply to: #971467 by Wronghat
Feb 14, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
sorry! Yes that is what I mean (thank you!!!)
Reply to: #971467 by Wronghat
Feb 14, 2019 10:20pm
Thread
I don't care for "report status" either, considering how much trouble we've had in the past with people misunderstanding. Might I suggest "log visit"?
Reply to: #971476 by Kirbert
Feb 14, 2019 10:27pm
Thread
Might I suggest "log visit"?

Why would you visit a log? Do you also record when you visit a palm tree or a palmetto? =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971465 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Feb 15, 2019 2:46am
Thread
Record Find could also mean simply to record what you found. You either found a letterbox, or you attempted but found no letterbox. 🙂
is it time?
Feb 22, 2019 1:51pm
Thread
to recognize the vast community of LTCers within the LB community? Many LTCers push the standards of the crafts involved in letterboxing, especially carvings. Maybe AtlasQuest could be "A Letterboxing & Trading Card Community." I'm wondering how much activity on AQ is within the LTC areas. Maybe there could be a special menu item alongside "Home Toolbox Boards..." that is focused on TCs; although I wouldn't want TCs to be separated in any way from this amazing hobby.

LTCs might be an entry point for more hobby-seeking individuals into the wonderful world of letterboxing in general.

Maybe on the Home page "New to trading cards" area??
Re: is it time?
Reply to: #971964 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 22, 2019 2:17pm
Thread
I will probably be very unpopular with this response but if you look at the questions and answers on my profile page, I have long questioned how LTCs can even be considered to be part of letterboxing. The only thing that I can see that they have in common is that they use hand carved rubber stamps. So why not go to an Artist Trading Card website or create a separate site for letterboxers who like LTCs.

If you look at the Atlas Quest home page, letterboxing is described: "Letterboxing combines artistic ability with "treasure-hunts" in parks, forests, and cities around the world. Participants seek out hidden letterboxes by cracking codes and following clues. The prize: an image from a miniature piece of art known as a rubber stamp—usually a unique, hand-carved creation." This is letterboxing as I choose to view it. It doesn't state that letterboxing is creating works of art that are mailed to others.

I do agree that there are fantastic works of art created by those who like LTCs but in my opinion, they are not the same as letterboxing.
Reply to: #971967 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 3:19pm
Thread
Well then with that definition hosting letterboxing events, personal travelers, tabletop boxes would be off of AQ too.

I think all things morph over time. Ltcs and postals are an off shoot of the letterboxing hobby.
Reply to: #971979 by Linden Leaf
Feb 22, 2019 3:28pm
Thread
Most events have boxes with clues which follow the letterboxing definition. I am not a fan of PTs or tabletop boxes either so if they would disappear, I could live with it.
Reply to: #971982 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 3:30pm
Thread
Ok. Fair enough. :-)
Feb 22, 2019 3:40pm
Thread
One of the things I think about letter boxers is that they are a very creative bunch of people. And so to just stick with the true definition of letterboxing might be hard for some people. They're looking for ways to expand the surprise element when it comes to table top boxes and personal travelers and things of a like.

I find it interesting that even the linocut community has trouble with their definition. People like me who carve the stamps for art cannot be considered a linocut artist. I cannot show my work on many of those websites because even though I used some of the same tools I do not use linocut material. There are purists in every Hobby.

Your idea of talking to ATC communities or websites is actually a very good idea.
Feb 22, 2019 3:52pm
Thread
I don't think your thinking is unpopular at all. Letterboxing for many has gone beyond the traditional. So it sounds like you might be in agreement that the site is not just a letterboxing community.

(deleted the wild suggestions!)
Reply to: #971988 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 22, 2019 4:00pm
Thread
furthermore...

whether it's traditionals, event boxes, postals or PTs or LTCs, each area feeds into the other areas letterboxing, i.e. I don't plant much anymore (outside of my event) but I certainly carve a lot of stamps for LTCs that eventually go to planters for the trails, even toward postals, event boxes and more!
Feb 22, 2019 4:23pm
Thread
It's a huge and diverse community, and AQ has room for all of it. There are loads of people who enjoy all the different variations of letterboxing, or just some of them, or, in your case, only one (the "traditional" boxes). So just limit yourself to that, and let the rest of the community enjoy whatever other variations they choose.
Feb 22, 2019 5:12pm
Thread
What about if we petition the Big Green One to make a way to hide the parts that you don't want to see? Then you could see only traditional boxes.

I'm not being snarky; I really do mean that it would be of a benefit for you (and some others) to turn off those parts of the web site that you don't want to see. Put it in preferences, and make it easy to turn off (and back on) these other branches from what letterboxing started out to be.
Reply to: #971993 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 22, 2019 11:26pm
Thread
You are correct, this has grown into a huge and diverse community but that doesn't mean all interests should be addressed through just one letterboxing website. I have other hobbies that are more closely related to letterboxing than LTCs but I would not expect them to be added to this particular site. I like the thrill of a search which is what got me into letterboxing 15 years ago. So, I participate in Find a Grave and Waymarking, both hobbies involve prep work like letterboxing and then make me get outside of my home to find the items, just like letterboxing. Waymarking is actually a spinoff of geocaching, like LTCs are from letterboxing, but it has an entirely separate website. It can be linked through Geocaching.com but is separate from it. I would not expect to find either one of my interests featured on Atlas Quest in spite of their similarities.

Would you expect someone who loves cooking to be able to access everything about cooking through Atlas Quest? How about knitting or quilting? What about automotive repair? I doubt it, you would go to a website dedicated to those types of interests. Ryan has given us the ability to create message boards about pretty much any topic that we can come up with and, in my opinion, that is all that is needed for our diverse interests.

There are loads of people who enjoy all the different variations of letterboxing

This is the irritant for me. Believe it or not, I don't think LTCs are a variation of letterboxing. Yes, I may be a purist, but letterboxing is looking for a rubber stamp outside of my home, not sitting at my desk and creating lovely trading cards to be exchanged with others. One of my pet peeves is seeing a new boxer so excitedly post on a message board that they have found a box and one of the first things they are often told is "Hey, how about trying LTCs." The new boxer then thinks that making trading cards IS letterboxing, which it is not, it is only a side interest that has developed, perhaps from people who are no longer interested or are no longer able to get out and find boxes. But, to me, making LTCs is not the same as letterboxing.

In the end, it won't matter what I think or what you think because the final decision is up to Ryan as owner of the website. I have managed to ignore the LTC portion up to this point, so I can probably manage to ignore anything that is added in the future.
Feb 22, 2019 11:42pm
Thread
I have long questioned how LTCs can even be considered to be part of letterboxing. The only thing that I can see that they have in common is that they use hand carved rubber stamps.

Why isn’t that enough? We enjoy searching for boxes ‘in the wild’ and will frequently drive many miles on the weekend to hunt for them. But we are not retired and we live in an area where there are not many boxes hidden.

LTCs allow us to participate and interact with other letterboxers that we otherwise would not due to living thousands of miles away. Also, there are many wonderful and talented carvers whose artistic offerings we would never get to experience without trackers.

This is far from the only letterboxing website. Most of them don’t offer an LTC option - just clues. So there are options.

And I have read on these very boards that some members don’t even agree that boxes need hand carved stamps - apparently they long for the days of purity that Dartmoor and postcards provided. So luckily this board has something for everyone.

I’m confident that hidden boxes will always be the main focus of letterboxing. But thank goodness it’s evolved and diversified into what it is now. We have met and exchanged with so many wonderful people here, it’s added fullness to our lives.

DZ
Reply to: #972004 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 11:58pm
Thread
This is the irritant for me....One of my pet peeves is....

I have a question for you, and I’m not being snarky, why is it “irritating” to you for other people to enjoy a side tangent of letterboxing? You don’t like it and don’t want to do it, fine. But why does it bother you so that others do?

Me? I’m just a live and let live guy. If I open a thread that is discussing something I’m not interested in I just move on.
Reply to: #972008 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 23, 2019 1:06am
Thread
I’m not being snarky, why is it “irritating” to you for other people to enjoy a side tangent of letterboxing?

I think you have chosen one line out of my response to focus on and ignored the rest of the response. The rest of the paragraph states that the irritant for me is in saying that LTCs are the same as letterboxing. I don't have an issue with anyone who enjoys LTCs, I just don't call making LTCs letterboxing.
Feb 23, 2019 4:08am
Thread
Many LTCers push the standards of the crafts involved in letterboxing

To that point, many geocachers push the standards of things like planting style, clue writing, creative containers, unique locations to take people to find a letterbox/geocache but we are glad it is a separate website. We enjoy both, very complimentary activities but have no problem that geocaching (or marathon running or scrap booking) isn’t better represented on Atlas Quest.
Reply to: #972008 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 23, 2019 5:57am
Thread
I couldn't agree with you more!! Use the sections on this site for what interests you and ignore the rest. Some of us are also in the hobby to meet and enjoy the company of others. Whether that happens at events or through other aspects it is OUR choice how we decide to do that. If we all followed every definition of everything in life what a very boring and dull life that would be. Unfortunately, some people just aren't happy unless they are criticizing something or someone all the time. If you don't like it ignore it, but please DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 23, 2019 6:58am
Thread
please DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.

So far, this discussion has been relatively calm and flame free. This morning, I went to find a letterbox, you know, the kind that required me to leave my house and I came home to find that once again, I am being told that I cannot express my opinion.

I am not sure how I might have done that just by stating that by the definition of letterboxing, LTCs are not related to letterboxing except through the creation of a rubber stamp, which is an indisputable fact. I did not ask that LTCs be banned from letterboxing, I simply stated that I didn't think they needed to be expanded. I also mentioned that the decision isn't up to me and that I would work with whatever is decided by Ryan. So, you might want to place me on ignore and please DO NOT try to force your thoughts and opinions on me.

And, with that, I am finished with this discussion.
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 23, 2019 7:06am
Thread
If you don't like it ignore it, but please DO NOT force you [sic] thoughts and opinions on others.

Weighing in on a question on ”is it time?” to add a feature to the direction of Atlas Quest homepage is not forcing an opinion, it’s having one. We do ignore what we don’t want to participate in but, as members of the diverse community, we also have a right to chime in when a question is thrown out. If you only want people to agree with you, why ask the whole community?
Feb 23, 2019 7:15am
Thread
I kind of wonder if these off shoots keep the letterboxing hobby alive for many of us. For me, I havent found a box in the wild since 2014. But I have been active in LTCS, postals, and a few events. I think all the off shoots may keep AQ active. Does AQ need to be active? I dont know? If these off shoots and boards were not included would AQ be like letterboxing.org? From what I hear not many people love that site. But many of us love AQ! There is a big community here.

I was thinking about how I got started in letterboxing. I was trying to remember how I got started in the off shoots. And I think it was when I went to my profile page and I saw that there were things that you could log: HH/Cooties/Fleas and Postals and event boxes etc. That was the only way that I found out about the other things that I can do within this community.

Ltcs in my opinion, are a very strong part of Atlas Quest. We connect here which I'm grateful for. But we also have a couple Facebook pages. But AQ continues to be our home base.
Reply to: #972026 by Janila
Feb 23, 2019 7:44am
Thread
To each his/her own!!!! Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions and thoughts, but when you post on a community board such as this it is inevitable you are going to get some push back and comments that you don't like. Don't post if you can't take the feedback....period.