A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: AQ Mail Drafts
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #933169 by BBStacker
Aug 19, 2016 10:20am
Thread
Has there been any thought of automatically putting messages started into a draft file if they are not completed for one reason or another? I was involved in a lengthy AQ mail today and got distracted and pushed the wrong key

Yes! Please reference our trail name.
Reply to: #933170 by Rocklun
Aug 19, 2016 4:25pm
Thread
Now I usually type them in Word first and then paste them in.

I just do them in Notepad. Word has too many features that won't translate into an AQ clue listing.
Reply to: #933183 by Kirbert
Aug 19, 2016 5:12pm
Thread
We seem to have wandered off topic.....as usual. The draft feature is being proposed for AQ mail, not AQ clues, right?
Peace
CTEE
Aug 19, 2016 5:47pm
Thread
I think BBStacker's idea is a good one too. Wasting time having to recreate something written is frustrating.
Aug 20, 2016 6:52am
Thread
An auto save would be helpful.
Distance less than 1/10th mile
Aug 27, 2016 11:26pm
Thread
I planted a box today that is 225 feet (along the trail) from the trailhead. This is a round-trip distance of 450 feet. I set the distance attribute to "Stroll" - 1 mile or less. I didn't set it to "Drive-By" because it is more than 50 feet from the parking lot.

There should be something in between these two. I don't know what to call it but it will let people know that it isn't a 5-minute-thing, but it also isn't a half-hour-thing.
Re: Distance less than 1/10th mile
Reply to: #933616 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 28, 2016 2:03am
Thread
I think most finders would call that distance a stroll. If you're concerned that people who are short on time might not look for it, you can always say something like "this box should take you only 10 minutes" in the clues.
Aug 28, 2016 2:16am
Thread
Many of us agree with you. Unfortunately for us, the admin of this site thinks anything less than 300 miles is a stroll.

You made the right choice, though. In general, a "Drive-By" should be a place where one person jumps out of the car to grab the box while the others keep the engine running and watch him grab the box. It's also a place where, just out of convenience, a finder will take the box back to the car to open it up and stamp in in comfort. Anything farther from the car than that should be a "Stroll".
Reply to: #933621 by Kirbert
Aug 28, 2016 6:33am
Thread
That's not true. I consider anything less than 500 miles a 'drive-by'. =) A stroll is between 500 and 1000 miles!

-- Ryan, currently working on a drive-by
Reply to: #933620 by Rocklun
Aug 28, 2016 7:40am
Thread
you can always say something like "this box should take you only 10 minutes" in the clues.

I did almost that; I specified that it is 225 feet to a landmark then behind a tree.

I'm just concerned that someone who is willing to do a little more than a drive-by will filter it out. I just hope that they'll understand what it means and read the description.
Aug 28, 2016 1:54pm
Thread
I always consider a drive-by something where I can leave my kids in the car to grab the box and then go back to the car to stamp in. Lol.
Aug 28, 2016 3:35pm
Thread
There should be something in between these two. I don't know what to call it but it will let people know that it isn't a 5-minute-thing, but it also isn't a half-hour-thing.

How about "Hop, Skip, and a Jump" box.
Reply to: #933642 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 28, 2016 10:14pm
Thread
I specified that it is 225 feet to a landmark then behind a tree.

That's actually not all that good, because many finders will have issues trying to figure out how far 225 feet is. "Less than 100 yards" woulda been better. "Less than ten minutes" better yet.

I just hope that they'll understand what it means and read the description.

If they read it, you're good. Most won't read it, though; there are too many other boxes to move on to. That's why the filtering options are there. If they filter for drivebys only, you'll never get 'em to hunt this box.
Reply to: #933712 by Kirbert
Aug 28, 2016 10:52pm
Thread
I specified that it is 225 feet to a landmark then behind a tree.

That's actually not all that good, because many finders will have issues trying to figure out how far 225 feet is.

Here's a link to "Eden Balloon" so you can read the whole clue. The place of note is better than "some landmark", but they know how far from the parking lot the letterbox is.

If they filter for drivebys only, you'll never get 'em to hunt this box.

There aren't many letterboxes in Ogden Valley, though I hope to plant more. If someone is near here they'll probably look for mine. It's already about 15 minutes (one way) from Ogden to the trailhead parking lot. It was just the most appropriate place for this stamp, a hot air balloon stamp planted near where a hot air balloon festival is held every August.
Aug 29, 2016 3:32am
Thread
I don't know what to call it but it will let people know that it isn't a 5-minute-thing, but it also isn't a half-hour-thing.

I call them leg-stretchers. Earlier this years when I was recovering from pneumonia and couldn't hike any distance, we hit all the drive-bys, leg-stretchers, short strolls, and indoor boxes within a few hours of here.

I don't use the filter when searching though because not only do people classify differently, some don't use the distance attributes at all. I just looked for everything and visually scanned the list for drive-by and indoor box icons, then looked more closely at the clues for the others.

If somebody misses your box because of the distance classification not matching their search filter... their loss.

SpringChick
Aug 29, 2016 10:08am
Thread
I'd like to have another icon for Reachables. Reachables are letterboxes that do NOT require the boxer to get out of the vehicle at all! Staying cool and comfortable in their air conditioned space. If you have to step out of the vehicle, then that would be a drive-by.

Proper Technique Shown Here: http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=138982
Impromper Technique: http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=138983
Reply to: #933715 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 29, 2016 11:03am
Thread
Along with 225 feet, you might give steps or paces (2 steps).

I know that people have differently sized legs but an estimate of paces to the bend in the trail or something might be easier than feet.

However, if the willow is the only huge one up to that point, your directions should work.

And now, I wish I could find your box. I love willows!!

KuKu
glossary
Aug 29, 2016 12:13pm
might add "pin-up" to glossary
Reply to: #933747 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 29, 2016 1:00pm
Thread
I'm not sure what's wrong with the "improper technique" ... unless there is a large tree just beyond the hiding spot.

thanks for the giggle today,
~speedsquare
Reply to: #933763 by speedsquare
Aug 29, 2016 4:31pm
Thread
It's improper above 40 mph. Otherwise, looks OK to me!
Reply to: #933751 by KuKu
Aug 29, 2016 9:47pm
Thread
Along with 225 feet, you might give steps or paces (2 steps).

I know that people have differently sized legs but an estimate of paces to the bend in the trail or something might be easier than feet.

I thought of specifying in terms of steps, or even steps beyond the boardwalk. However, I've done one recently where they specified distance in terms of women steps and men steps. I figured that people know how to convert feet to their particular steps. My steps are about 2 feet long so that's how I made the estimate.

Then I provided the additional landmark of when "your view of the balloons will begin to be blocked by the willows." That is when the willows are about 10 feet tall (or more) on BOTH sides of the trail. That seemed the best place to hide the box, where your view of the actual balloons is also hidden.

However, if the willow is the only huge one up to that point, your directions should work.

There's actually another one not far down the trail, but this is the only one 10-15 feet into where your view is obscured by the trees. I don't know how tall it is because I hid it in the dark. (I was making the logbook so I left late.) It's probably not the best to make a hide in the dark when people will be searching during the day, but that's why I made the directions so simple that the box can be found in the dark. ;-)

And now, I wish I could find your box. I love willows!!

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Box is Right!

;-)
Reply to: #933785 by Kirbert
Aug 30, 2016 8:35am
Thread
I agree. With the door sitting technique or even hanging out of a sun roof, the possibility of planting in tree branches near and hanging over roads becomes a new frontier for boxers. I'm game! However, this is not suitable necessarily if you're boxing alone, maybe.
Reply to: #933807 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 30, 2016 9:00am
Thread
I figured that people know how to convert feet to their particular steps.

Hmmmm, I need to figure that out again. I did way back for my pedometer for Walking4Fun. That would be good info to know.

I hid it in the dark.

Wow, you are dedicated!

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Box is Right!

Sounds like a theme for a letterboxing event!!

KuKu
Reply to: #933807 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 30, 2016 1:32pm
Thread
...I hid it in the dark.

That always makes me nervous. I'm afraid I'll find a spot in the dark that I think is just perfect and highly secure only to find out in daylight that it's plainly obvious or in full view of a CCTV or something.
Reply to: #933879 by Kirbert
Aug 30, 2016 8:14pm
Thread
...I hid it in the dark.

That always makes me nervous. I'm afraid I'll find a spot in the dark that I think is just perfect and highly secure only to find out in daylight that it's plainly obvious or in full view of a CCTV or something.

I worried about that so I hid it way around back, where no one would go. I also took the precaution of hiding it real well. I made sure that I couldn't see it (using my flashlight) even when looking directly at the hiding place.

Also, there are no cameras on this trail. There is no place for someone to put a wildlife camera because of the nature of the trees.

I'd forgotten to write the name of the carver of the stamp in the log book, so I went back to my car. I counted the steps on second trip to the cache location.

I'm generally not afraid of the dark, but on the way back I heard something rustling in the bushes. After being startled, I listed for it again but no more sound. I went back to my car in peace.
Statistics Page--Purple Diamonds
Sep 10, 2016 9:36am
Thread
How about adding Purple Diamonds to the attribute page statistics on the AQ statistics plant page?
Re: Statistics Page--Purple Diamonds
Reply to: #934577 by Wronghat
Sep 10, 2016 2:54pm
Thread
How about adding Purple Diamonds to the attribute page statistics on the AQ statistics plant page?

That's actually a bit complicated since the BOTW information isn't stored in "attribute" form so it's not going to happen in the immediate future, but if you're curious, there are currently 372 different boxes that have been selected as the BOTW, and it increases by 1 each week. =)
Reply to: #934587 by Green Tortuga
Sep 10, 2016 3:04pm
Thread
thank you
Reply to: #934587 by Green Tortuga
Sep 10, 2016 5:40pm
Thread
[...] there are currently 372 different boxes that have been selected as the BOTW, and it increases by 1 each week.

I noticed on this list of Purple Diamonds that there are no Blue Diamonds, because I checked all four pages. Doesn't the Blue Diamond show up on the attributes line too? I know that a Purple Diamond can (potentially) lose its Blue Diamond status, but the Purple Diamond remains. Where does it indicate the Blue Diamond status?
Reply to: #934597 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 10, 2016 7:07pm
Thread
I noticed on this list of Purple Diamonds that there are no Blue Diamonds, because I checked all four pages.

A purple diamond "supersedes" a blue diamond. It's an upgrade!

-- Ryan