A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: anonymous feedback
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #924294 by dingus dufus
Apr 12, 2016 8:05pm
Thread
I fear what would happen if you got to make one of your video clues for a letterbox of this.
Reply to: #924283 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 8:44pm
Thread
You obviously don't live in Worcester, MA. Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.

I could have done with never seeing that.... *shaking head*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924306 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 8:48pm
Thread
Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.

I could have done with never seeing that..

Maybe we need to slightly change your trailname to "Groan Tortuga"?
Reply to: #924306 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 11:50pm
Thread
Did you cramp up while posing for that?
Reply to: #924286 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2016 5:18am
Thread
That turtle is NOT having a good time.
Reply to: #924315 by DS
Apr 13, 2016 5:23am
Thread
That turtle is NOT having a good time.

I agree. Supposedly, the statue is supposed to portray "innocence, joy, and rebirth." Um, not so much.
Reply to: #924294 by dingus dufus
Apr 13, 2016 5:27am
Thread
Hey you guys! I was there the first week of March!

It's nice to see your interest in the arts!
board bug or oddity
Apr 13, 2016 8:28am
Thread
First, I'm not sure if this is where bugs/oddities should be posted. I'm suggesting something be changed, I guess :)

When I'm on my board ("Maze of Doors Puzzlehunt"), and click "first", (http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=1;), I expect to be taken to the first message of that board. Instead I am taken to the first message of "AQ Announcements". When on that board, I click "Last" (http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?), I am taken to the last message of my board. That also seems to be the behavior on "Letterbox Chatter", but not on "Suggestion Box". I don't remember it working that way in the past, but I could be wrong.

It is very confusing, at least to me. IMHO, "first" and "last" on a board should be w.r.t. to that board or that thread, not the whole system. I see little utility in a link that often goes to the first message from 2004 from any board.

HTH
Re: board bug or oddity
Reply to: #924327 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 13, 2016 9:26am
Thread
You're viewing the message off of the board. To go to the board you click "Read Board" and then you can use the first/last buttons on the board
Reply to: #924337 by savaka
Apr 13, 2016 9:59am
Thread
You're viewing the message off of the board.

Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure I understand what this means. Of course I'm going to take the fastest path to the message, and the way you get to a message should not affect the behavior IMHO.

If I clicked on "reply" for the message, for example (as I did here), I would expect my reply to be on board/thread (as it appears to be), therefore functions other than "reply" should also work that way, IMHO, but maybe not, I dunno. I mean, I also see a function that says "start new thread". If I am only on the message and not the board, where is the new thread started?

In any case, if I am the only one confused, its not important, so nevermind :)
Reply to: #924288 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2016 10:03am
Thread
I can't draw it, let alone carve it, but if I could get a carver, Southpaw and I would definitely plant it! ;^)

Find a drawer (a drawing person, not something to put your socks in) and I'll carve it.
Reply to: #924340 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 13, 2016 11:00am
Thread
Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure I understand what this means. Of course I'm going to take the fastest path to the message, and the way you get to a message should not affect the behavior IMHO.

Clicking the link for a post takes you to the post, associated with but not on the board.

If I clicked on "reply" for the message, for example (as I did here), I would expect my reply to be on board/thread (as it appears to be), therefore functions other than "reply" should also work that way, IMHO, but maybe not, I dunno. I mean, I also see a function that says "start new thread". If I am only on the message and not the board, where is the new thread started?

Replies are always on the same board as the message replied to. When starting a new thread, you can choose the board on the "Post Message" page.
Reply to: #924327 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 13, 2016 11:14am
Thread
I think you found a bug..... The "first" and "last" buttons of the "message.html" page don't look like they're working correctly. (They do work on the "messages.html" page, though.)

I'll try to look into more later today. I'm a little surprised nobody has brought this to my attention before--this is a VERY old bug! I always navigate around using the "messages.html" page, though, which is why I never noticed it before. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924347 by Green Tortuga
Apr 13, 2016 12:43pm
Thread
I have actually noticed that before, but so rarely use the first and last buttons I never really thought about it. But it does explain why some of those earliest posts have replies from several years later.

K
Reply to: #924347 by Green Tortuga
Apr 13, 2016 5:57pm
Thread
Okay, I think the problem is fixed! =)

I will add one small caveat.... I'm not entirely sure of what you did in the first place. Your bug report wasn't as detailed as it could have been, although it was sufficient that I did locate a genuine bug from it and (hopefully) fixed the issue you were describing.

However.... the "first" button is a little "squishy." It can mean different things in various contexts. Basically, every time you view a post or sequence of posts, you're viewing a window into a message board search. You can see the search parameters in the URI (stuff like boardId=XYZ limits the search to all posts on the XYZ board, for instance).

And the "first" button is supposed to point to the first post/page of the search results. If you're looking at the message.html page, it'll point to the first post matching your search. If you're looking at the messages.html page, it'll point to the first page of results matching your search.

So.... depending on the search results that you're viewing, the "first" button could be pointing to the first post on a board, the first post on a thread, the first post by a specific person, etc. Or, if there's nothing filtering the search at all--it could point to the very first post ever made on AQ.

So, here are several links:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;threadId=133383
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;boardId=347
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;authorId=15625
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;search=%22turtle+boy%22

In all five cases, the "first" button points to a different post. The first points to the first post in all of AQ, the second one points to the first post from the thread, the third one points to the first post on the board, the fourth one points to the first post by Rocklun (*wave*) while the last one points to the first post with the phrase "turtle boy" in it.

So, if you're looking at a post which looks like the first example in your address bar, it should point to post #1. That's not a bug. If you have other search parameters included, however, it should not be taking you to the first post on AQ (which is what it was doing before I fixed the bug.)

So with that caveat, it's still possible the "first" button could be pointing to post #1 depending on the context. But so far as I can tell, at this point, it's all working as expected. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924379 by Green Tortuga
Apr 14, 2016 6:15am
Thread
However.... the "first" button is a little "squishy." It can mean different things in various contexts.

IMHO, the most utility and least confusion would be to *always* goto the first message in the thread of the message you are viewing. AQ appears to know this info for that message. I think the thing you will almost always want to actually do is see the first or last message in a thread quickly (in my case, I wanted to see the rules I established in the first message of the thread, and then respond to the last message, so the order made sense), as opposed to the first or last message on a board or list of messages from multiple boards/threads. which seems a bit arbitrary.

So, if you are viewing multiple messages from different threads/boards at the same time, then "first" should prolly be grayed out if the thread is ambiguous. I'm not sure how it has any utility in this context, but I imagine it might.

I have not thought about it all that much, you and your long time users are obviously comfortable with this definition, and there may be many considerations/use cases I don't see, but if the meaning of a button changes in context without a visual cue to how that semiosis is affected by the current context, I think it will be confusing to newbies or those used to other systems.

Hope that makes sense.
Reply to: #924399 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 14, 2016 6:42am
Thread
Oh, as an aside, my issue has not been fixed. After reading everything, I think I understand why. IMHO, this should be fixed as described above, as it provides more utility as described above.

I click this message

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924326

Then click "first" and expect to see the first message in the thread, as I see that as the natural and most useful expectation. I now think, based on your explanation, that this just must be a search result with one message in it and no context. I do not understand why there would be no context.

Why it doesn't make sense, as I said earlier in this thread, is that you can "reply" to the message and your reply is naturally added to the end of its thread, and you can "start new thread", and the correct board context is given in the "start new thread" function, so the illusion of context is given on those functions. No, maybe not a bug, but confusing and less useful, IMHO.

I get around this by clicking "thread", which appears to give context, then "first". I finally understand. It is the illusion of context described in the previous paragraph that provides the confusion to me.
Reply to: #924399 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 14, 2016 8:26am
Thread
I think the thing you will almost always want to actually do is see the first or last message in a thread quickly

Not necessarily.... If I ran a search for all posts with the word "hitchhiker" in it, I'd expect the "first" button to take me to the first post on AQ with the word "hitchhiker" in it. It would be kind of weird to me if I weren't able to see posts with the word "hitchhiker" just because they didn't happen to land in the same thread that I was already looking at.

Now if my search was for all posts with the word "hitchhiker" from a specific thread, then I'd expect the "first" button to point to the first post in that thread with the word "hitchhiker." (Still, it wouldn't be the first post in the thread--just the first post in the thread that used the word "hitchhiker.")

Though admittedly, I don't see any use for a "first" button when the search consists of "all posts." They probably are more likely trying to get to the beginning of a thread or maybe even the beginning of a board. It might actually be a good idea if AQ assumed a narrower context if none is provided.

I click this message

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924326

Just out of curiosity..... how are you getting to a link like this? Maybe instead of having AQ assuming a thread context when none is provided, whatever link you use to get there could just include it and point to http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924326;threadId=133148 instead. Make the original link you follow include a thread context.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924410 by Green Tortuga
Apr 14, 2016 9:17am
Thread
Just out of curiosity..... how are you getting to a link like this?

Its just on the left of "My Page" under recent messages. I almost always read messages via these links so I can see the subject and poster before clicking on a whole thread and just cherrypick the messages I want to read.

I could also see bookmarking messages, as I should have in this case to keep referring back to it quickly.
Reply to: #924412 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 14, 2016 3:52pm
Thread
I've gone ahead and added a threadId parameter to the Recent Posts widget. Hopefully that will cause them to start acting as you expect. =) I kind of like the change.... it makes sense someone who clicks through to see a specific post is probably going to be more interested in other posts from the same thread than any old random post that might have happened to have been made near the same time.

I will point out, though, that this affects the behavior of all the buttons--not just the "first" button. The "next" and "previous" buttons will take you to the next and previous posts from the same thread rather than the next and previous posts that had been on all of AQ. Which is probably the behavior you actually do want to see, but it is a change.

Let's see if anyone reports the change as a "bug" since anyone using it is probably used to the old links. =)

-- Ryan
Another tweak request
Apr 22, 2016 8:43am
Thread
First . . . the find/plant maps are awesome!! Thanks for adding this :-)

Another addition to profiles that I would find really useful, if it's not a big deal to add:
When I want to include extra LTCs for participants in my trackers, or just as a surprise gift, I can click on that person's profile and see the last 10 LTCs of mine that they have logged. I would love to have a "see all" button, to show me ALL the LTCs they have of mine, so I can pick cards they don't already have, without having to look through all their 2000 finds (for the green check mark), or my list of plants, looking through every single "show finds" list. Is that an optional button that would be easy to do? I know I can do a work-around with advanced search criteria, but a one-click button would be awesome 😉
Re: Another tweak request
Reply to: #924977 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 22, 2016 10:51am
Thread
I would love this option too!!!!
Reply to: #924977 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 22, 2016 11:53am
Thread
I would love to have a "see all" button, to show me ALL the LTCs they have of mine, so I can pick cards they don't already have....

Hmm... I'm toying around with how this would work, and for now added some search links that premium members can see if there are at least 10 matches. It links to a regular search of LTCs, postals and travelers, but I'm not really liking it and am not sure it's even helpful for you since it shows a list of all finds they have of your LTCs, but NOT the LTCs that they haven't found.

But... let me know what you think. If there are fewer than 10 matches, you see the complete list right there so there's no additional link. (If there are exactly ten matches, you'll see the link even though it's a complete list. Which really isn't ideal, but it was a quick and dirty implementation.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924986 by Green Tortuga
Apr 22, 2016 12:42pm
Thread
Thanks, GT. I might be missing the 'gist' of that added criteria . . . I think that's what I could already do, regardless of the number of finds they have. On advanced search, by entering myself as owner, and them as finder, I get a complete list of LTCs found by them, but it takes a handful of clicks and two names typed in, to get it. I was thinking of an "easy button" to get the same result with one-click.
Reply to: #924988 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 22, 2016 1:57pm
Thread
On advanced search, by entering myself as owner, and them as finder, I get a complete list of LTCs found by them

The links I added are links to an advanced search where you are listed as the planter (not necessarily the owner) and them as a finder.

It's the same search used to create those "Ship In the Night" sections--the main difference is that they don't get chopped off after 10 results are found. But if there are less than 10 results, then you are seeing all of the results already and the additional link seems kind of pointless--you already have the entire list!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924993 by Green Tortuga
Apr 22, 2016 2:06pm
Thread
OH!!! I looked in the wrong place (on search instead of profile page). That works perfectly - exactly what I wanted!! Thanks for the buttons!!!!
Reply to: #924995 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 23, 2016 3:26am
Thread
This change makes it so easy to know which LTCs to send people as gifts!!! Thanks so much for implementing this, Ryan, and for suggesting it, Wise Wanderer! :^)
Maintenance Reports on Adopted Boxes
Apr 23, 2016 10:03am
Thread
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is something worth considering, but I've noticed that if I submit a maintenance report on one of my adopted boxes, AQ will change my find date to this most recent date, much like it does with my plants. However, given that it's an adopted box, I would like to preserve my original 'found' date, yet still update the maintenance record. I realize I can set the the status to "N/A" and just leave a comment stating that successful maintenance has been completed, but this does not update the 'last found' date and may cause some people who ignore old finds to overlook these types of boxes in their searches. Is there a way to update the maintenance record and preserve the original found date that I just don't know about? I don't know if such a change would be useful to anyone else, but I thought I'd throw it out to the masses...

Best,
Nairon
Re: Maintenance Reports on Adopted Boxes
Reply to: #925035 by Nairon
Apr 23, 2016 10:06am
Thread
Is there a way to update the maintenance record and preserve the original found date that I just don't know about?

Sub-accounts. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan
Editing clues in a reserved listing with multiple owners
Apr 23, 2016 2:32pm
Thread
Hi. Just wondering why all owners of a box/ series are not allowed to view the listing when in reserved status? This seems to have been a more recent change (or maybe I just noticed this). If this has already been discussed, just point me to the thread.

This came into play recently during a large series collaboration of which I am a co-owner. Only the primary owner was able to tweak the clue in reserved. I had to wait for the series to be activated in order to add my parts (meaning we had to time just right the launch of the clues). Having been involved in multiple collaborative efforts (series and events) the loss of this feature is quite limiting. Any chance we can have that feature back?

NIght0wl