A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Suggestion Box

Re: anonymous feedback
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #924130 by Wry Me
Apr 11, 2016 9:34am
Thread
Also, if you look back at their other posts you can see they all took place on April Fool's day.
Reply to: #924127 by Buzzkill
Apr 11, 2016 9:49am
Thread
Five billion? Scientist report the earth is a bit overdue for a medium to large impact from a meteor
Reply to: #924141 by Debbie Downer
Apr 11, 2016 10:16am
Thread
Five billion? Scientist report the earth is a bit overdue for a medium to large impact from a meteor

Oh, I know! I just didn't want people to think I was one of those annoying "glass is half full" types.
Reply to: #924112 by crosscresent
Apr 11, 2016 1:49pm
Thread
At the bottom of the clues you can say 'Hide it better than you found it. Please do not let children rehide the box without supervision'.

At the bottom of the clues you could write several pages of good letterboxing practice. Thing is, though, some of us are trying to create unique and challenging clues, some of which don't involve text at all. Some involve graphics, some involve photos, some involve videos, some involve a Haiku. Having to type in page after page of things that every letterboxer should already be doing just buries all this creativity in boilerplate that nobody's ever going to read anyway. It shouldn't be that hard to get finders to rehide the %$^& box properly!
Reply to: #924121 by Kelsung
Apr 11, 2016 5:17pm
Thread
Don't feed the troll

I'm not a troll, I'm just a little mouse. Trolls are scary!

Nonny
but please do feed me
Reply to: #924121 by Kelsung
Apr 11, 2016 9:47pm
Thread
Don't feed the troll

Trolls belong in a museum.
Reply to: #924172 by Kirbert
Apr 12, 2016 8:31am
Thread
Dang. It was just a suggestion.
Reply to: #924274 by JerseyTrailblazers
Apr 12, 2016 4:35pm
Thread
So what say you Turtle Boy?

Turtle Boy? I kind of like that. Makes me feel all sweet and innocent. =)

How about some nice check boxes to make people feel like crap?

Maybe next April....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924275 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 4:47pm
Thread
Well, May is the Month of eevil. So maybe then, Turtle boy.

Ue
Reply to: #924275 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 5:29pm
Thread
Turtle Boy? I kind of like that. Makes me feel all sweet and innocent. =)

You obviously don't live in Worcester, MA. Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.
Reply to: #924283 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 5:52pm
Thread
Yup! The piece of Worcester Art is the first thing I thought of when I saw "Turtle Boy". It's a bit disturbing!
Reply to: #924285 by Southpaw
Apr 12, 2016 5:56pm
Thread
It's the turtle's expression that kills me.
Reply to: #924286 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 6:04pm
Thread
So is there a letterbox of this image?
Reply to: #924287 by Wronghat
Apr 12, 2016 6:10pm
Thread
Oh my gosh! That never even occurred to me, and it's so iconic!

I can't draw it, let alone carve it, but if I could get a carver, Southpaw and I would definitely plant it! ;^)
Reply to: #924288 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 7:04pm
Thread
Hey you guys! I was there the first week of March!

;) ;)

A little inter-phylum fun. but only one of them seems to be enjoying themselves!
Reply to: #924294 by dingus dufus
Apr 12, 2016 8:05pm
Thread
I fear what would happen if you got to make one of your video clues for a letterbox of this.
Reply to: #924283 by Rocklun
Apr 12, 2016 8:44pm
Thread
You obviously don't live in Worcester, MA. Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.

I could have done with never seeing that.... *shaking head*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924306 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 8:48pm
Thread
Turtle Boy means something a little...different...here.

I could have done with never seeing that..

Maybe we need to slightly change your trailname to "Groan Tortuga"?
Reply to: #924306 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2016 11:50pm
Thread
Did you cramp up while posing for that?
Reply to: #924286 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2016 5:18am
Thread
That turtle is NOT having a good time.
Reply to: #924315 by DS
Apr 13, 2016 5:23am
Thread
That turtle is NOT having a good time.

I agree. Supposedly, the statue is supposed to portray "innocence, joy, and rebirth." Um, not so much.
Reply to: #924294 by dingus dufus
Apr 13, 2016 5:27am
Thread
Hey you guys! I was there the first week of March!

It's nice to see your interest in the arts!
board bug or oddity
Apr 13, 2016 8:28am
Thread
First, I'm not sure if this is where bugs/oddities should be posted. I'm suggesting something be changed, I guess :)

When I'm on my board ("Maze of Doors Puzzlehunt"), and click "first", (http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=1;), I expect to be taken to the first message of that board. Instead I am taken to the first message of "AQ Announcements". When on that board, I click "Last" (http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?), I am taken to the last message of my board. That also seems to be the behavior on "Letterbox Chatter", but not on "Suggestion Box". I don't remember it working that way in the past, but I could be wrong.

It is very confusing, at least to me. IMHO, "first" and "last" on a board should be w.r.t. to that board or that thread, not the whole system. I see little utility in a link that often goes to the first message from 2004 from any board.

HTH
Re: board bug or oddity
Reply to: #924327 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 13, 2016 9:26am
Thread
You're viewing the message off of the board. To go to the board you click "Read Board" and then you can use the first/last buttons on the board
Reply to: #924337 by savaka
Apr 13, 2016 9:59am
Thread
You're viewing the message off of the board.

Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure I understand what this means. Of course I'm going to take the fastest path to the message, and the way you get to a message should not affect the behavior IMHO.

If I clicked on "reply" for the message, for example (as I did here), I would expect my reply to be on board/thread (as it appears to be), therefore functions other than "reply" should also work that way, IMHO, but maybe not, I dunno. I mean, I also see a function that says "start new thread". If I am only on the message and not the board, where is the new thread started?

In any case, if I am the only one confused, its not important, so nevermind :)
Reply to: #924288 by Rocklun
Apr 13, 2016 10:03am
Thread
I can't draw it, let alone carve it, but if I could get a carver, Southpaw and I would definitely plant it! ;^)

Find a drawer (a drawing person, not something to put your socks in) and I'll carve it.
Reply to: #924340 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 13, 2016 11:00am
Thread
Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure I understand what this means. Of course I'm going to take the fastest path to the message, and the way you get to a message should not affect the behavior IMHO.

Clicking the link for a post takes you to the post, associated with but not on the board.

If I clicked on "reply" for the message, for example (as I did here), I would expect my reply to be on board/thread (as it appears to be), therefore functions other than "reply" should also work that way, IMHO, but maybe not, I dunno. I mean, I also see a function that says "start new thread". If I am only on the message and not the board, where is the new thread started?

Replies are always on the same board as the message replied to. When starting a new thread, you can choose the board on the "Post Message" page.
Reply to: #924327 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 13, 2016 11:14am
Thread
I think you found a bug..... The "first" and "last" buttons of the "message.html" page don't look like they're working correctly. (They do work on the "messages.html" page, though.)

I'll try to look into more later today. I'm a little surprised nobody has brought this to my attention before--this is a VERY old bug! I always navigate around using the "messages.html" page, though, which is why I never noticed it before. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #924347 by Green Tortuga
Apr 13, 2016 12:43pm
Thread
I have actually noticed that before, but so rarely use the first and last buttons I never really thought about it. But it does explain why some of those earliest posts have replies from several years later.

K
Reply to: #924347 by Green Tortuga
Apr 13, 2016 5:57pm
Thread
Okay, I think the problem is fixed! =)

I will add one small caveat.... I'm not entirely sure of what you did in the first place. Your bug report wasn't as detailed as it could have been, although it was sufficient that I did locate a genuine bug from it and (hopefully) fixed the issue you were describing.

However.... the "first" button is a little "squishy." It can mean different things in various contexts. Basically, every time you view a post or sequence of posts, you're viewing a window into a message board search. You can see the search parameters in the URI (stuff like boardId=XYZ limits the search to all posts on the XYZ board, for instance).

And the "first" button is supposed to point to the first post/page of the search results. If you're looking at the message.html page, it'll point to the first post matching your search. If you're looking at the messages.html page, it'll point to the first page of results matching your search.

So.... depending on the search results that you're viewing, the "first" button could be pointing to the first post on a board, the first post on a thread, the first post by a specific person, etc. Or, if there's nothing filtering the search at all--it could point to the very first post ever made on AQ.

So, here are several links:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;threadId=133383
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;boardId=347
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;authorId=15625
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=924283;search=%22turtle+boy%22

In all five cases, the "first" button points to a different post. The first points to the first post in all of AQ, the second one points to the first post from the thread, the third one points to the first post on the board, the fourth one points to the first post by Rocklun (*wave*) while the last one points to the first post with the phrase "turtle boy" in it.

So, if you're looking at a post which looks like the first example in your address bar, it should point to post #1. That's not a bug. If you have other search parameters included, however, it should not be taking you to the first post on AQ (which is what it was doing before I fixed the bug.)

So with that caveat, it's still possible the "first" button could be pointing to post #1 depending on the context. But so far as I can tell, at this point, it's all working as expected. =)

-- Ryan