Board: Sports Emporium
Reply to: #264644 by Team Awesome
Aug 17, 2008 8:01am
Thread
We are amazing go team USA!!!!!!!!
Spain Theme
Aug 23, 2008 6:54am
It seems a little ironic to have a theme with a Spanish flag when USA basketball is playing Spain in the Olympic finals. Particularly after the racially insensitive team picture from the Spanish basketballers.
College Football Trifecta!
Aug 30, 2008 4:21pm
Thread
Finally college football is here. It was a good day to be a Mountaineer! The three most hated teams in Mountaineer world all lost today. I picked two of the upsets! Didn't think Pitt would choke at home against a MAC school.

Pitt losses to Bowling Green at home
Michigan losses to Utah at home (Rod picked the wrong starting quarterback. He did that at WVU also. He picked a slow, white "running" quarterback over Pat White.)
Virginia Tech losses to East Carolina (WVU plays there next week)

The only bad news from today is that WVU hasn't ANY DEFENSE!
The other blip was that MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) choose to cut away from the Moutaineer game to show a pre-game talk show for the worst baseball team in MLB (Nationals).
Re: College Football Trifecta!
Reply to: #275457 by IrishRef
Aug 30, 2008 5:16pm
Thread
I'm right there with you IR...Michigan losing was SA-WEEEET!!! ...despite the help they had from the zebras today. Maryland won too! I was a little upset that MASN switched over to a Nationals pre-game show as well...hope that isn't going to be par for the course the rest of the season. I hope Michigan loses every game this year, I hope Rodriguez gets fired, he develops a gambling problem and his house burns down.
Aug 30, 2008 7:13pm
Thread
AHHHHHHhhh! The loooooong dry spell is over! Let is rain Football!! T :)
Aug 31, 2008 4:50am
Thread
Rammer Jammer, Alabama is back! Alabama 34 - Clemson 10. Roll Tide!

Wild Dreams
Aug 31, 2008 5:07am
Thread
Pitt losses to Bowling Green at home

Go BGSU! Fly Falcons Fly!

BG is the only school that I have attended (1 class) that has a football team.

There is a BGSU Falcons box on campus.

td
Reply to: #275563 by Wild Dreams
Aug 31, 2008 5:56am
Thread
Roll Tide!

Comment goes very nicely with the premium hat.
Reply to: #275470 by Nargfoll
Aug 31, 2008 11:36am
Thread
Yippee! I didn't realize Michigan lost!
Yeah for BGSU!

Better yet...

O..H..!!!!!!
Reply to: #275667 by er dvm
Aug 31, 2008 1:49pm
Thread
I...O....
Reply to: #275563 by Wild Dreams
Aug 31, 2008 2:28pm
Thread
Alabama 34 - Clemson 10.

I knew being ranked #9 was too good to be true!
Clemson was the only team in the top 15 to lose their game. That sucks.)
NASCAR - Chase for the Cup
Sep 3, 2008 4:29am
Thread
Just want to make an observation about the Chase for the Cup. This was changed several years ago to breathe life into the late season races and the earning of the NASCAR championships. More like a playoff format.

If you really want drivers/car teams to be motivated for this make it a true playoff situation. Only the cars that qualify would be eligible to race in the final series of races. Imagine the motivation and quality of racing without all those lap cars and non-contenders!
Re: NASCAR - Chase for the Cup
Reply to: #276680 by IrishRef
Sep 3, 2008 4:43am
Thread
To be sure. Just think of all the lost revenue from the also rans. That is probably why everyone still races even though there are only 10 drivers eligible for the championship. You hate when a contender is taken out because of the dubs like..um never mind. :)

Teacup-trying to be politically correct.
Professional playoff systems
Sep 3, 2008 4:45am
"Disclaimer - I think all professional sports are simply entertainment thinly disguised as sports. Therefore, all rules and policies are designed to make the games more exciting and to make the most money possible."

If it were up to me there would be a rule in all professional sports that simply requires all playoff teams to have a winning record.

Current example from MLB: The Diamondbacks and Dodgers are fighting it out for an automatic berth in the NL playoffs for the western division. It is very possible that neither team will have a winning record. Dodgers are 69-70 and are only 1.5 games back. If neither team had a winning record a second wild card would be selected instead. With current standings that would allow the Phillies in with a 76-63 record.

The same thing has happened in the NBA were one conference (typically the eastern) is so weak that the 8th spot is flirting with .500. In that case you would have two scenarios (Give the top seed a bye which would not set well with money making, or allow the 9th seed in the west to join the eastern conference playoffs.) In the NBA the top three seeds are division champs in spite of records, Denver (had such a poor record) once was the third seed and did not have home court against the #6 seed. At times, (when the two teams with the best record are from the same division) the team with the second best record is the #4 seed putting them in the same half of the bracket with the #1 seed who is also from their division.

NHL which allows almost every team into the playoffs is similar but of course complicated by ties.
Reply to: #276681 by Teacup
Sep 3, 2008 4:47am
Thread
No need for PC when it comes to sports. Go ahead and list your dubs.
Reply to: #276684 by IrishRef
Sep 3, 2008 5:20am
Thread
lol I don't want them trying to take out my fav driver. He's having enough trouble this season.
Go Pirates!!!!
Sep 6, 2008 4:46pm
Thread
24 to 3
That's all I have to say! :-D
Re: Go Pirates!!!!
Reply to: #278139 by Casa del Sol
Sep 8, 2008 4:17am
Thread
Well there is a lot I could say but it would all be about frustration in our area. I just hope ECU is that good and we are not just that bad.

Congrats to ECU (ranked 14 this morning in one poll). I hope you crack the BCS bowl group.
Preds game day!
Sep 19, 2008 2:20pm
Thread
Are there any other hockey fanatics out there that are stoked for the first preds game on Monday!?! I'm so ready for it! Been waiting all summer!

*IML*
Re: Preds game day!
Reply to: #284999 by Insane Music Lover
Sep 19, 2008 2:41pm
Thread
Are there any other hockey fanatics out there

Yes, but for a different team. See my sig stamp :lol:
I can't wait for hockey!!! Sabres unveil their new third jersey tomorrow and it's the old logo. Just got tix today to three games: Caps, Philly, and Panthers.

You still have Dumont in Nashville? He's still a fan favourite up here.
Re: Preds game day!
Reply to: #285009 by GreatBigSabres
Sep 20, 2008 10:19am
Thread
You still have Dumont in Nashville?

Yea, he's still here. Thank God! we've been trading some good players latley. Like Vokoun. =(
He was my fav.

*IML*
Dodgers Magic # is 1
Sep 25, 2008 12:32pm
Thread
The Dodgers magic number is one to clinch the western division of the National League and make the playoffs. Okay so it is the weakest division in baseball, but they are almost in the door and are playing well.

The big differnce that turned their season around was acquiring Manny Ramirez from Boston. His stats are: batting average .398 - on base percentage .491 - Slugging percentage .757

Go Dodgers!
Re: Dodgers Magic # is 1
Reply to: #287640 by IrishRef
Sep 25, 2008 2:39pm
Thread
D'Backs lost today. That clinches the west for the Dodgers!
Reply to: #287718 by IrishRef
Sep 25, 2008 2:53pm
Thread
Hope for a freeway series.

Don
Sep 25, 2008 3:53pm
Thread
Go Dodgers!!

Mothers Love
(formally from Los Angeles area but now reside in TX) :)
Reply to: #287721 by Don and Gwen
Sep 25, 2008 4:49pm
Thread
Hope for a freeway series.

Oh much more fun would be Manny in Boston!
Sep 25, 2008 5:30pm
Thread
The big differnce that turned their season around was acquiring Manny Ramirez from Boston. His stats are: batting average .398 - on base percentage .491 - Slugging percentage .757

Ugh. It just makes what a brat he was in Boston that much worse. He could play well, he chose not to.

Anyway, seems to be a mutually beneficial trade. The Sox are a much more unified without him. And I bet Francona's blood pressure is much lower.
Sep 25, 2008 8:03pm
Thread
Congrats to the Dodgers!

My Mets pulled one out of their butts today and are still alive!