A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Sports Emporium

Re: 8/10 Olympics Spoiler
Board: Sports Emporium
Reply to: #264644 by Team Awesome
Aug 10, 2008 9:10pm
Thread
I did! No other people were here, but my critters were concerned! I couldn't believe the outcome!
Reply to: #264650 by er dvm
Aug 11, 2008 5:23am
Thread
That was amazing!!
Aug 11, 2008 5:38am
Thread
I had to remind myself to not scream my head off! I didn't want to wake up the kids. Oh my gosh, that was exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved hearing how the French were so full of themselves. They had such arrogant expressions on their faces before they got in the water. LOL!

Go Team USA!!!!!

Wow! :o)
Re: Dodgers/Pirates/RedSox
Reply to: #262189 by IrishRef
Aug 11, 2008 7:46am
Thread
Yes. The Cubs last won in 1908.

No I do not think they are due because I do not include notions of probability as a factor when I consider baseball.

You simply continue to make uninformed comments.

--GoSox
Reply to: #262290 by IrishRef
Aug 11, 2008 7:47am
Thread
No doubt you probably think that the PAC-10 is the best conference in the NCAA.

--GoSox
Reply to: #264788 by GoSox
Aug 11, 2008 8:02am
Thread
We shall see.
Aug 11, 2008 12:18pm
Thread
Yes, indeed congrats to them!!!

I just baked a big ol' "Humble" Pie. Maybe I should I use the "Silver" when it gets served?

Possibly some "crow" to eat for main course?

All in all... "well done" to the team!! (just cant seem to get away from those cooking terms.) LOL

MLR
Reply to: #265157 by Maple Leaf Red
Aug 12, 2008 12:36am
Thread
I just got to watch it today. I am so surprised that I had not heard about it until I watched my tivo. My daughter thought I was crazy. I was jumping up and down and screaming (haven't done that since the titans superbowl :-).

Alaska HSM
Aug 13, 2008 12:29pm
Thread
That was really phenomenal!! Just goes to show what you can get if you really want it.

Dash
Extreme sports, anyone?
Aug 13, 2008 12:39pm
Thread
To say that my hobbies are eclectic is an understatement. In addition to letterboxing, I also enjoy zymurgy and a few extreme sports. I am an avid paraglider and paramotorist (in addition to being a private pilot). Are there any others out there who have tried or are interested in these activities?
Re: Extreme sports, anyone?
Reply to: #266937 by High Desert Glider
Aug 13, 2008 1:16pm
Thread
Quote I also enjoy zymurgy

What a fabulous word!!! I can't say I have any interest in the endeavor, but maybe I should just so I could say I'm a zymurgist!

-AG (wishing she knew ANYone who liked Scrabble® so she could throw that on the board at some point!)
(sigh) Seriously, Spain???
Aug 13, 2008 4:17pm
Thread
That stupid pic. Why do people think it's okay to make fun of someone and then add "We didn't mean anything by it...was just a joke" to make it better? Honestly, I could cry to think that there are HUGE pockets of the world that still don't get this.

The (truly saddened) Sprite & the (just as disappointed) Highlander
Re: (sigh) Seriously, Spain???
Reply to: #267067 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 13, 2008 6:24pm
Thread
My youngest picked this habit of the insult followed by "It was just a joke" in first grade last year. It has been a long, hard summer...

He's still got to learn that it's not a joke if everybody isn't truly laughing--fake, polite/intimidated laughs don't count!

Knit Wit
Reply to: #267067 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 13, 2008 6:27pm
Thread
Reply to: #267135 by knit wit
Aug 13, 2008 6:46pm
Thread
Some say that everything after the word "but" is a lie. For example:

I really wanted to hire you BUT .....

We really aren't prejudiced BUT .....
Reply to: #267154 by IrishRef
Aug 13, 2008 7:32pm
Thread
On the complete opposite end, I was talking with a frustrated Comedy Sportz troupe member from the UK team. He was white and lived near London, but said a lot of people grow up in tiny towns where they've lived for generations without growing up near a single black person. Because of this, they tend to form these elaborate ways around saying the word "black". One was to do this thing where they look like they're quickly brushing something from their face with one hand without touching it and WHISPER the word "black". I'm guessing the idea is that they don't want to offend anyone by telling them that they have dark skin, or mentioning in some way. We all had to laugh, including my UK friend, who said it was ridiculous...it was almost the way my older Southern relatives talked about cancer! They'd whisper the word like they were afraid to catch it if they spoke too loud!

The disappointing one was that he mentioned the other way that older people did it was to sort of pinch your nose, then spread your fingers apart. It took me a minute to get it, but I finally realized it was a gesture to show a broad nose! Anyway, I could understand his frustration...you feel like you're swimming upstream with some folks and will NEVER make headway when the difference in understanding is so huge. The conversation with him was VERY refreshing, though. I find people tend to get defensive in conversations with me about racism, but he (having not been privy to much American history) didn't feel strange talking about prejudice at all with me.
Reply to: #267138 by knit wit
Aug 13, 2008 7:34pm
Thread
Yeah, I wasn't sure about posting it because I was afraid of passing it on. I did that once with a different pic and found out that a friend (ex-friend now) had posted that same pic to friends as a sort of joke...it's terrible to look at someone and realize you really know NOTHING about them...!
Reply to: #267204 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 13, 2008 7:41pm
Thread
Quote I was afraid of passing it on.

I saw it yesterday as a headline on Yahoo news so passing it on is probably not something to worry about. I got the impression that the newscasters had been talking about it a bit during the basketball too, but since I haven't been watching much of the Games this time around I don't know if that's true.

Knit Wit
Olympics tonight?
Aug 16, 2008 7:05am
Thread
Anybody know what time Phelps is swimming his last race tonight? I thought I heard them say about 11pm EST, but not sure. We are going to be out, so I want to try to tape it, or catch it where we are!
Re: Olympics tonight?
Reply to: #268201 by Crazyolis
Aug 16, 2008 7:17am
Thread
i checked the schedule on my local news stations website, and it says that his race is between 10 and 11:30 but thats all i know as of right now! sorry i can't be more specific!

PG22
Re: Olympics tonight?
Reply to: #268201 by Crazyolis
Aug 16, 2008 12:46pm
Thread
It should start right before 11pm EST.

Dash
Re: OLYMPIC SPOILER ALERT ! ! !
Reply to: #268402 by JerseyTrailblazers
Aug 16, 2008 8:29pm
Thread
i know i was sitting here yelling at the TV!!! YAY YAY YAY :D

PG22
Aug 16, 2008 8:44pm
Thread
Michael Phelps WINS 8th Gold Medal in the 2008 games !!!!!!!!!

Can't say I'm terribly surprised... the U.S. always wind the men's Olympic medley.
The real shocker is that Canada finally has some medals! Track and Field events must've started...

HPL :o)
Aug 16, 2008 9:05pm
Thread
An awesome swim by the entire team - I watched with about 25 youth screaming USA! USA! USA! and cheering at every turn as the United States flag showed the team with the lead. Truly an incredible accomplishment! Congrats to Michael Phelps!
Reply to: #268418 by Wild Dreams
Aug 16, 2008 9:18pm
Thread
I guessed what was up by the all caps post, didn't look, then just watched for myself.

Holy crap! HOW cool is that?

And he's so humble, not arrogant, etc when speaking to the media with the eyes of the world watching.

Everything that's right about our country (so hard to find these days)...

YAY! Michael
Reply to: #268420 by preboxed
Aug 16, 2008 9:23pm
Thread
Way to go Michael!!
Reply to: #268420 by preboxed
Aug 16, 2008 9:30pm
Thread
Aug 17, 2008 8:01am
Thread
We are amazing go team USA!!!!!!!!
Spain Theme
Aug 23, 2008 6:54am
It seems a little ironic to have a theme with a Spanish flag when USA basketball is playing Spain in the Olympic finals. Particularly after the racially insensitive team picture from the Spanish basketballers.
College Football Trifecta!
Aug 30, 2008 4:21pm
Thread
Finally college football is here. It was a good day to be a Mountaineer! The three most hated teams in Mountaineer world all lost today. I picked two of the upsets! Didn't think Pitt would choke at home against a MAC school.

Pitt losses to Bowling Green at home
Michigan losses to Utah at home (Rod picked the wrong starting quarterback. He did that at WVU also. He picked a slow, white "running" quarterback over Pat White.)
Virginia Tech losses to East Carolina (WVU plays there next week)

The only bad news from today is that WVU hasn't ANY DEFENSE!
The other blip was that MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) choose to cut away from the Moutaineer game to show a pre-game talk show for the worst baseball team in MLB (Nationals).