A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: Abandoned boxes
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #974778 by Trailhead Tessie
May 1, 2019 3:04am
Thread
What's your definition of "abandoned" boxes?

Boxes that haven't been found in a long time.
Reply to: #974787 by Elle
May 1, 2019 4:17am
Thread
I think you have confused the definition of abandoned. Per the AQ glossary
Abandoned letterboxes are simply boxes that are no longer maintained by the owner. Perhaps the owner moved away or dropped out of letterboxing, the box has been abandoned and the owner can no longer be reached.
Reply to: #974788 by Janila
May 1, 2019 4:47am
Thread
I agree with Janila - "abandoned" boxes are different from "old last finds" (boxes that haven't been found in a long time).

And more specifically...
For a box to qualify as abandoned, all people associated with the letterbox (including the carvers, planters, owner, and the person who originally listed the box) will not have logged into Atlas Quest for...

~~from https://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/question.php?wikiId=136

The default for both is one year, but you can change the number of months for your specific searches. See Preferences - Letterboxes & Searches.
Reply to: #974788 by Janila
May 1, 2019 7:59am
Thread
Abandoned letterboxes are simply boxes that are no longer maintained by the owner. Perhaps the owner moved away or dropped out of letterboxing, the box has been abandoned and the owner can no longer be reached.

Very good. I found four boxes yesterday in an area where no one has been boxing for years. Last find dates per the logbooks in the boxes were: 2010, 2011, 2011, and 2010. I don't think any of these boxes were truly abandoned. It's just that no one had been looking for the boxes in a long time. It's not like they were especially hard to find or anything.
Reply to: #974789 by roo
May 1, 2019 10:57am
Thread
For a box to qualify as abandoned, all people associated with the letterbox (including the carvers, planters, owner, and the person who originally listed the box) will not have logged into Atlas Quest for...

Hmmm. I remember when this status was established. Because it triggers a sort of takeover of control of such boxes, GT had to be *very* careful not to step on anyone's toes. I guess requiring that anyone involved in the box is long gone meets that objective.

As a carver of 600+ boxes, though, I feel compelled to chime in. I carve a stamp, stick it in an envelope and mail it off to someone halfway across the continent (or even on a different continent!), they plant it and list it, then we never hear from that planter again. The fact that I still log on here every day doesn't change the fact that that box has been abandoned. If I were to get on an airplane and go try and find it, I'd be following the clues the same as anyone else. I am not involved in its maintenance.

Offhand, I'm trying to think of a situation where being a carver and still active on AQ should prevent a box from being listed as abandoned. I suppose there are some, but for those I'd think the carver would also be listed as one of the planters or the owner.

Perhaps the standard should be revised to the effect that, if the planters, owner, and lister haven't logged in for a year but the carver is still around, the carver is automagically asked if he would like to assume ownership of the box or whether its status should be changed to abandoned. Those would be the two choices. If he doesn't respond, it gets listed as abandoned.

I'm also wondering whether it might be an option to voluntarily classify a box as abandoned. I go on vacation a hop, skip, and an airplane ride from home. While visiting areas I probably will never see again, I plant a letterbox. The only maintenance this box will ever see is that provided by finders, and if one of them reports that the clues need altering or the box has gone missing altogether, I have to take their word for it -- I'm not going to be going back there to check on its status. To me, it makes sense to list such boxes as abandoned the day they are planted. The treatment that an abandoned box gets -- comments are public, three attempts results in retirement -- are the way the box is intended to be treated from the outset.
Reply to: #974798 by Kirbert
May 1, 2019 10:08pm
Thread
The fact that I still log on here every day doesn't change the fact that that box has been abandoned.

It's not so much that the box is abandoned as it is the listing is abandoned. There are people who regularly check up on boxes they planted but don't log into AQ very often and those boxes are considered "abandoned"--but it's really the listing we're talking about here.

And as a carver who logs in regularly, you can maintain the listing. Whether you do or not is another matter entirely. =)

The treatment that an abandoned box gets -- comments are public, three attempts results in retirement -- are the way the box is intended to be treated from the outset.

As someone who logs in regularly, you get to set your own rules about when the box should be retired or update the clue if someone contacts you about a change that's needed, etc. There's not really any reason AQ has to change stuff automatically.

You might be happy with the algorithm AQ uses to update the status of boxes automatically, but others might not be--and you can probably judge the attempt better than AQ can. And you can do a lot of things AQ never would be able to do like change the clue because a tree mentioned in the clue fell over or a trail was rerouted.

AQ can't really do a good job replacing people and so AQ only takes over as something of a last resort.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974814 by Green Tortuga
May 2, 2019 4:55am
Thread
It's not so much that the box is abandoned as it is the listing is abandoned.

That makes sense.
How do you add a box ahead of planting?
May 4, 2019 8:30pm
Thread
I don’t want today to show as the planting date, but I want to go ahead & add the stamp names for now.
Re: How do you add a box ahead of planting?
Reply to: #974854 by LadyRisa
May 4, 2019 9:26pm
Thread
When you add a letterbox, make the TYPE of box Reserved. 🙂
Reply to: #974855 by RDHG
May 4, 2019 10:59pm
Thread
Yep.
Reply to: #974854 by LadyRisa
May 5, 2019 7:13am
Thread
I want to go ahead & add the stamp names for now.

It was probably just a slip of the tongue, but just to be clear, on Atlas Quest, you list boxes, not stamps.

If you really have a pressing need to list stamps, you can use the "other" category for it.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974861 by Green Tortuga
May 5, 2019 7:57am
Thread
boxes, not stamps.

Yes, yes. That’s what I meant.
Reply to: #974855 by RDHG
May 5, 2019 8:00am
Thread
When you add a letterbox, make the TYPE of box Reserved.

That’s what I did wrong! I was looking at status options, which can show something unavailable, but will reflect the day entered into atlasquest as the planted date. Thanks!
Reply to: #974865 by LadyRisa
May 5, 2019 9:36am
Thread
If this is for a Plant A Letterbox Day it still has to be near the time when listing. I used a Reserved box I never used that was ‘old’ and it did not count in the totals.
Here is the rule fir this year;
“If you list it as a reserved box in order to get a box number ahead of time, don't list your reserved box before May 17th.”
Reply to: #974867 by cooledcoyote
May 5, 2019 9:41am
Thread
I used a Reserved box I never used that was ‘old’ and it did not count in the totals.

Did you remember to change the plant date when you activated the box?
Reply to: #974868 by Janila
May 5, 2019 10:07am
Thread
Yes, but the Reserved (I don’t see a date for that) was outside of the window.
Reply to: #974871 by cooledcoyote
May 5, 2019 1:05pm
Thread
Not sure what you mean by "outside the window" but I have had boxes reserved for over three years and all I do is update the plant date after I actually activate the box. After you activate, the next tab is the one where you choose the type of box (traditional, postal, hitchhiker, ect) and then the next tab is the Basic Details tab, the tab where you can change the name of the box, add a synopsis and change planters, owner or contacts. There is also a Plant Date box there that can be changed.
Rookie MIstake.
May 5, 2019 8:34pm
Thread
I was letter boxing, I think it was in TX. I stamped my journal, thinking I would write its name later. Didn't happen. Now I am lost as to what it is.

In my defense, I had 5 children with me from the age of 2-11. Whew! They do love to letterbox but ya have to keep it moving to keep their interest.

It is a stamp with the name Nature carved at the top, a Sitka deer looking back over its shoulder, about 2"x2".

The reason I think it is a TX stamp is because we were there in December of 2018 and the sitka deer that have escaped from the hunting ranches are everywhere. The deer on the stamp has spots on it and antlers. It is not a fawn.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Re: Rookie MIstake.
Reply to: #974903 by Chickadee
May 5, 2019 8:40pm
Thread
If you have information for Chickadee, remember to send it as a private message rather than posting it here on the board. :)
Reply to: #974867 by cooledcoyote
May 6, 2019 4:40am
Thread
I have several boxes to plant. I didn’t take PAL into consideration. I’ll make sure to hold one back specifically so it gets a PAL count.
Re: Rookie MIstake.
Reply to: #974903 by Chickadee
May 6, 2019 2:14pm
Thread
We’ve all done that and still do!
you have an email
May 7, 2019 10:19am
Thread
I have a message that I have a new letter. Why does it not show?
Re: you have an email
Reply to: #974961 by Always On Call
May 7, 2019 10:26am
Thread
In the same vein: it used to be that when I had an email, the notification would show at the top of My Page. Now it doesn’t show until I go to some other page (e.g. read a board post or look at a box listing). Can I get that notification to show right away when I go to My Page?
Reply to: #974961 by Always On Call
May 7, 2019 10:29am
Thread
I have a message that I have a new letter. Why does it not show?

It was probably spam and I already deleted it. Spammers created over a thousand accounts this morning and mailed about 7000 spam messages through AQ mail by the time I woke up and took care of the problem.

But I deleted them all because... it was spam. You didn't miss anything.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974962 by Sheba
May 7, 2019 10:31am
Thread
Can I get that notification to show right away when I go to My Page?

Make sure the AQ Mailbox widget is installed. It's supposed to be on My Page by default and seemed unnecessarily redundant to include a message at the top of the page which included less information than the widget did.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974963 by Green Tortuga
May 7, 2019 10:57am
Thread
Okay. Thanks Ryan. But. . . cannot get rid of the you have a new letter message.
Reply to: #974965 by Always On Call
May 7, 2019 11:53am
Thread
But. . . cannot get rid of the you have a new letter message.

Ooh.... I forgot about that. I figured you must have gotten a notification of new AQ mail--I'm not able to "undo" those notifications or forwarded AQ mail since they aren't on the AQ system anymore.

But I forgot that deleting the AQ mail directly from the database would cause the numbers to go out of whack.

Should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974963 by Green Tortuga
May 7, 2019 12:05pm
Thread
But I deleted them all because... it was spam. You didn't miss anything.

Come on Ryan, you don’t fool me. You just want to keep all of that Nigerian prince’s money for yourself!!!
Reply to: #974968 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 7, 2019 12:27pm
Thread
You just want to keep all of that Nigerian prince’s money for yourself!!!

This was more of a "Russian girls" kind of thing.... Definitely keeping all of them for myself, though. ;o)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974969 by Green Tortuga
May 7, 2019 5:34pm
Thread
Thank you for your...sacrifice. and vigilance! ☺