A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: What’s in a name?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #973211 by LadyRisa
Mar 24, 2019 11:55am
Thread
I would pick something with some versatility. As a noble pig, I have a lot of different choices if I get bored with my signature stamp image. There are plenty of pictures of pigs to choose from. Also, my name gives me the ability to capitalize on my nature, as in, I could plant boxes near BBQ places, or near old pig iron furnaces, of which there are many in my area. People at events will call you by your name as well. I find that, oddly, people feel uncomfortable calling me piggy, which amuses me. Also, the longer your name is, the longer it takes to write it in the logbook! Hope this helps :)
Mar 24, 2019 1:34pm
Thread
SirRisa?
Mar 24, 2019 1:50pm
Thread
Simplest solution would be something that ties to you. The two of you could become LadyRisa and LordRisa.
Reply to: #973234 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 24, 2019 1:51pm
Thread
Yea, Bacon goes with everything! ;-)
Reply to: #973243 by Kirbert
Mar 24, 2019 1:54pm
Thread
LaddyRisa
Reply to: #973246 by Don't Panic
Mar 24, 2019 2:11pm
Thread
Yea, Bacon goes with everything! ;-)

Agreed! Bacon goes with everything.
Mar 24, 2019 8:51pm
Thread
When I started letterboxing, my husband would tag along for events and for longer hikes. My letterboxing friends referred to his as the man-with-no-trailname .... which he didn't particularly like.

One day he declared that he never intended to go LBing without me, so his trail should be I'm w/Her. and so he is!!
How to change photo to stamp image
Mar 25, 2019 11:50am
Thread
I'm teaching a class on boxing to the local life long learning institute and they wanted to use a picture of me, but suggested I carve the image, which sounds cool. But how do I change the image to something I can carve? Can anyone do this for me, or give me tips?
Re: How to change photo to stamp image
Reply to: #973325 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 25, 2019 12:33pm
Thread
If you have Photoshop that’s the obvious way. There are several apps for smartphones that work.

If you can’t find a solution, I can try to get you a usable image on PS.
Mar 25, 2019 1:25pm
Thread
Google "How to make a cartoon from a photo":

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+cartoon+from+a+photo&oq=how+to+make+a+cartoon+from+a+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.9318j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Note that you will need to end up with a B&W image (not grayscale). Sometimes you can just take an image with colors and delete the colors.
Mar 25, 2019 4:59pm
Thread
In the past, I've tried various tools, including:
gimp
sketchguru
https://online.rapidresizer.com/photograph-to-pattern.php
inkscape.org

don't know if any of the above are still around. I know gimp is, but I found it too complicated.

but invariably the best thing I've found is an app on my iphone called "Adobe Capture CC" ... specifically you want the 'Shapes' mode...
you can either specify photos/images from the camera roll on your iphone, or use the camera mode of the app. Once you've got the image, you can control the slider for more/less detail/darkness.

Once I'm happy with the image, I take a screenshot and send it to myself on my laptop.

using this technique, here's two images I recently rendered for a series I just completed ...

https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4766

good luck!
Reply to: #973344 by west dover quidditch team
Mar 25, 2019 8:07pm
Thread
... invariably the best thing I've found is an app on my iphone called "Adobe Capture CC" ...

Holy cow!!! That app is awesome! Thank you for posting that.
Reply to: #973361 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 26, 2019 6:23am
Thread
you're very welcome.

yeah, IMO that app is head and shoulders better than anything else I've *ever* tried to render images into a black/white carvable entity.
Reply to: #973279 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Mar 26, 2019 8:21am
Thread
man-with-no-trailname

I told him this story & he laughed.
Reply to: #973234 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 26, 2019 8:22am
Thread
Things to think about. We’ll come up with something!
Picture clues
Mar 27, 2019 3:55pm
Thread
Anybody know why my pictures rotate themselves and end up sideways? I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong, but cant figure out what it might be.
Re: Picture clues
Reply to: #973449 by Quarry
Mar 27, 2019 4:12pm
Thread
Anybody know why my pictures rotate themselves and end up sideways?

Blame your phone. The phone knows that you turned it when you took the picture but that information is not part of the picture itself so AQ does not know that when you upload it. So you need to actually edit the picture on your phone to rotate it before uploading.
Reply to: #973450 by Eidolon
Mar 27, 2019 5:36pm
Thread
Thank you
Reply to: #973459 by Quarry
Mar 27, 2019 8:32pm
Thread
I edit and square the picture, I have no problem after that.
Mar 28, 2019 7:12am
Thread
Anybody know why my pictures rotate themselves and end up sideways? I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong, but cant figure out what it might be.

If you list your box on your computer or laptop it doesn't happen. At least never for me. I've seen lots of sideways photos since people seem to have started listing the box in the field so to speak, on their phone. Then I guess they never look at it again.
Reply to: #973481 by MissMoon
Mar 28, 2019 7:28am
Thread
It's been bugging me, but also means I cant be lazy and just snap a picture (I'm very dyslexic so writing clues is a challenge) and skip the hard part.
Adding an effect or cropping the picture then saving the changes on the phone seems to fix the problem and now all my picture clues are upright.
Thanks again for the advice ya'll, that was driving me crazy.
Mar 28, 2019 9:36am
Thread
Just open it in any editor and save it. You don't even have to change the file name. Dunno why, but that's what works for me.
Reply to: #973482 by Quarry
Mar 28, 2019 12:50pm
Thread
also means I cant be lazy and just snap a picture (I'm very dyslexic so writing clues is a challenge) and skip the hard part.

You could just snap a horizontal photo. It's only the vertically-challenged ones that cause the problem. =) (Unless you snap photos on your phone upside-down, but just don't do that.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #973497 by Green Tortuga
Mar 28, 2019 12:53pm
Thread
I tried the horizontal photo, it was also sideways... but editing and/or saving the photo before loading it seems to work... and now I know how to edit photos on my phone.
Disappearing Edit Pencil
Apr 14, 2019 5:06pm
Thread
It might be just me, or my computer, but the edit pencil on the Countdown widget is missing. So are the little red x's so you can delete something after it's finished.
I need those.
  1. 1. I can't listed sometning without making a mistake somwhere.
  2. 2. I like to change the dates of some stuff. I'd prefer not to explain that one, but it's important to me.
So what happens the day after my next DING! DING! DING!
Re: Disappearing Edit Pencil
Reply to: #974161 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 5:20pm
Thread
the edit pencil on the Countdown widget is missing. So are the little red x's so you can delete something after it's finished.

I don't use the countdown widget normally but I added it as a test and entered something to count down to. I have both a pencil and a red X and they both work.
Reply to: #974161 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 5:46pm
Thread
I had that happen to me in the past - I had made an error in the name for the countdown, which pushed all the text (including the icons in the heading) off the column on the right. I had to have Ryan go in and delete the erroneous entry, and then all was well in the widget again.
Reply to: #974163 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 14, 2019 7:13pm
Thread
Thanks! You gave me an idea. Fixed it by changing the settings. I chose to have only 1 column, and could see the edit pencils again. Changed the boo-boo, and reset the columns back to 3. Done!
Reply to: #974164 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 7:55pm
Thread
Brilliant!! That didn't occur to me 🤨
Reply to: #974164 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 11:53pm
Thread
Fixed it by changing the settings. I chose to have only 1 column, and could see the edit pencils again.

It's not so much that the edit and delete options aren't there.... they just scrolled out of the view and there wasn't a way to access them unless you make the column wide enough to contain all the data for the widget.

-- Ryan