About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

How to....?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Mar 16, 2019 4:21pm
Thread
I'm curious how to get started with postal letterboxing, could someone help explain it to me please.
My email is. Aped85@yahoo.com
Thank you.
Midge
Re: How to....?
Reply to: #972766 by Midge
Mar 16, 2019 4:31pm
Thread
I don't do postals, but I do look in the Help section when I'm wondering about something.
Home/Help
I also know there is a discussion board for postals where you might find better help than me.
Boards/Browse Boards.
Re: How to....?
Reply to: #972766 by Midge
Mar 17, 2019 5:50am
Thread
There is also a link in the glossary section.
New Box Listings
Mar 21, 2019 3:08am
Thread
When I am listing a new box:
Is there a way to set a permanant preference for "everybody" instead of "none" on the restrictions tab for listing new boxes? "None" is the default but I would like it be "everybody" because I keep forgetting to change it. (I had to edit this as I just realized that in order to have the number of plants that I want to set, the finder has to BE an AQ member, silly me!)
And, is there a way to keep my plant/find requirements permanant? Mine seem to keep changing back to 0 and I have to reset them.

And while I am on a roll here, is anyone else having trouble switching from plants to finds or vice versa on the new logbook page? I know that I am supposed to hit the "Go" button but it isn't always there and I have to refresh the page to make it appear. Not that the time is that long but it seems to take me longer to open my logbook pages now than before the big change.
Re: New Box Listings
Reply to: #973061 by Janila
Mar 21, 2019 5:23am
Thread
Is anyone else having trouble switching from plants to finds or vice versa on the new logbook page? I know that I am supposed to hit the "Go" button but it isn't always there and I have to refresh the page to make it appear.

I am not having any issues with this, Janila. But maybe others are?
Mar 21, 2019 6:04am
Thread
I think he took the Go button away. I just have to switch and there is just a slight delay, maybe a second or 2
Reply to: #973069 by Topcollector
Mar 21, 2019 6:58am
Thread
I think the took the Go button away.

When I refresh, the Go button appears. However, if I had been trying to go from plants to finds, the action type goes back to whatever it was previously and the Go button appears.
Mar 21, 2019 8:03am
Thread
And while I am on a roll here, is anyone else having trouble switching from plants to finds or vice versa on the new logbook page? I know that I am supposed to hit the "Go" button but it isn't always there and I have to refresh the page to make it appear. Not that the time is that long but it seems to take me longer to open my logbook pages now than before the big change.

Yeah, sometimes it won't change over. just sits there on the same page. I have to click on 'Go'. again.
Mar 21, 2019 11:29am
Thread

So I looked again, and the Go button was there while the page was loading,mbut was gone once it was done. Clicking on Finds from the drop down menu started loading my Traditionals, since that's what was in the second menu. If I wanted to see my HH that I planted from my Tradional Finds page, I'd have to click HH in the second menu, wait for it to load, then click Plants in the first menu and wait for it to load. So it can be up to a three step process depending on what page you start from, what you want to see, and in what order.

Whoo, that's a long explanation...
Reply to: #973084 by photopam
Mar 21, 2019 12:04pm
Thread
I just checked mine again and it's working fine. No Go button. I just switch to finds, plants HHs, and it changes.
Reply to: #973088 by Topcollector
Mar 21, 2019 3:57pm
Thread
When I first go to the page the 'Go' button is there, then if I take the cursor and scroll down the page a bit it disappears.

If I refresh the page the button appears, scroll, button disappears. Good grief.
Reply to: #973094 by MissMoon
Mar 21, 2019 4:18pm
Thread
When I first go to the page the 'Go' button is there, then if I take the cursor and scroll down the page a bit it disappears.

If I refresh the page the button appears, scroll, button disappears. Good grief.

I'm gonna make some edumacated guesses here, and when Ryan checks in he can either confirm or deny, or ignore, this...

The "Go" button should not be showing at all... it is PROBABLY an artifact left over in the CSS from the previous behavior. Notice that the people who see the "Go" button for more than a flash are the people with large largebooks?

That's because the "Go" button ONLY appears while AQ is processing the page - querying the database and creating the page. Because for those with large numbers of finds (or plants), the database query and creation of the page takes a long time (remember? That's why Ryan made all the changes to the logbook, because the database queries are so huge?). For those of us with small pages, we see a slight flash of "Go" that quickly disappears. But you overachievers get the confusing Go at precisely when you SHOULDN'T be pressing it! By design, AQ will refresh the page when you change the pulldown... so if you wait a few seconds (or more, for big-bookers), then the Go will go away and the page wil be refreshed. In fact, clicking the Go probably makes it take LONGER, because it PROBABLY makes it start over.

So, just think of the "Go" button as a timer... when it goes away, it means your page is done loading!
Reply to: #973095 by wassamatta u
Mar 21, 2019 4:55pm
Thread
I hate to blow your theory but I tested my log book again. It was set on traditional finds and I changed it to see traditional plants. Nothing happened but the Go button was visible. I didnt touch it, just waited to see what would happen. Two minutes later, the Go button has disappeared and the listing has still not changed to show my plants.
Reply to: #973099 by Janila
Mar 21, 2019 10:19pm
Thread
When I pull your logbook up on my computer your finds are private so I can't see them, but the other 3 choices I can click between and they change immediately. I never see a Go button, ever. There was a Ctrl function button to click to do something to the browser to reset it. I don't know how to find that message from Ryan, but maybe you could try that if you know how to find it. I'm bad with searches.
Mar 21, 2019 10:51pm
Thread
I hate to blow your theory but I tested my log book again.

Actually, I've been testing it switching around in your logbook (which is impressively large), and I think my theory was close, with a slight modification...

Web-theory 101 tells us that there are actually 2 phases of the page "loading"... the time between when you Click and the backend is done processing the request, and the time between when the backend (having finished processing) starts sending the page to your browser and when it finishes sending to your browser. The "Go" button is visible during the second half. Here's how you can tell...

Go to your "Finds" page. Once it's loaded and no Go (this actually can take 5 or 10 seconds with yours.. just be patient) (so we are starting from a clean slate), change the sorting (Oldest or Newest or Alphabetical... doesn;t much matter). When you do this, you will see some subtle indication that AQ is processing.. on Chrome, it is a small "Waiting for atlasquest.com" at the bottom of the screen and the cursor goes into the spinning "Working" mode, and the tab on your browser has a spinning circle indicating it is working. Other browsers have similar indicators... we all see them when it takes a long time to load a page, so you'll know it when you see it. After about 5-7 seconds, the logbook will appear to have changed (the visible boxes in the list will go to whatever sorting you chose), and the "Go" button will appear. This means we are in that second phase... BUT you SHOULD notice that the "Busy" indicators (spinning circle) are STILL GOING... and if you look at the scroll bar at the right of the page, you will notice it is still "growing". This means the page, even though it LOOKS like it is done, is STILL LOADING. Because your logbook has tens of thousands of lines in it, it physically takes another 5-10 seconds just for all that data to finish transferring to your browser and for your browser to render the screen. If you are really patient, though, the "Go" will disappear eventually, at the same time the spinning circles go away and the scroll bar stops moving. This means the page is FINALLY finished loading, and the code makes the "Go" disappear.

Ok, that was long-winded, even for me! But... it is 100% reproducible on several mega-big logbooks I tried it on (such as yours), and also explains why mere mortals such as myself with smaller logbooks never see the issue.
Mar 21, 2019 11:04pm
Thread
Zowie! You've done a lot of boxing.
Reply to: #973114 by wassamatta u
Mar 22, 2019 4:25am
Thread
OK, tested and everything that you stated was true the first time I tried it. So, I tried it again, changed from a search for my newest finds to my oldest and guess what...it is now two minutes later and the spinning circle is gone, the Go is gone and the page is just sitting there, but nothing has changed. (I have two monitors so I can watch what is happening and type the experience at the same time.) So, I hit refresh, the Go appeared again, the spinning circle appeared again and....the word Oldest changed back to Newest. Once more, I changed the Newest to Oldest and this time it brought up my request in about 5 seconds.

This experience may have also proved a point that a lot of us have felt since these changes have taken place. It can now take up to 20 seconds to load my logbook whereas (don't you love that word!) before the changes, it may have taken 2 or 3 seconds and if I needed to search for a listing that wasn't in my most recent 100 finds, I knew my logbook well enough to guesstimate where it was and click on a page that was close to the correct page. Maybe till I actually found what I was looking for, it took 20 seconds but now, it can almost ALWAYS take that long.

I took a look at the finders Wall of Fame and the top find counts are growing and growing and growing. My feeling is that the changes that were made, might benefit those who have lower find counts but those boxers may also be the ones who would have had the least difficulty working with the previous version of the logbook because they had fewer pages in it to look at. Those of us with higher find counts seem to be the ones who are having the most difficulty with the new process.

Most likely, nothing will take us back to the way it was and I don't claim to begin to understand Ryan's explanation that the logbook is now a true logbook vs whatever it was before, but it would be nice if some of the things that were available previously could be adapted to this new format. I felt the old version ran pretty smoothly for me and this one just doesn't. Once again, I am really happy that I have maintained a spreadsheet since I started boxing so that I can sort or filter to my heart's content but it would be nicer to not have to have two separate screens open when I wanted to take a quick look for something.
Reply to: #973118 by Janila
Mar 22, 2019 10:09am
Thread
Interesting... I think we are seeing two separate (but I believe related) issues there. I took a look at the source code and did verify that the "Go" button is showing on "submit" and hidden on "page loaded", but the additional issue you are seeing with "no effect on the pulldown" will take some additional investigation. Thanks for your patience! I think once Ryan is back from being Petrafied, maybe we can look at some performance issues on these huge pages.
Reply to: #973126 by wassamatta u
Mar 22, 2019 2:21pm
Thread
And before the so called "update" none of this was an issue. My logbook, also with a lot of finds was fine, great, loaded great, performed the way it should, with no weird behavior, no weird issues.

If it had just been left as it was none of this would be happening.
Reply to: #973132 by MissMoon
Mar 22, 2019 5:17pm
Thread
If it had just been left as it was none of this would be happening.

If GT left things alone, we wouldn't have such a great web site.

However, there have been a LOT of complaints with this latest update.
Reply to: #973139 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 23, 2019 8:08am
Thread
If GT left things alone, we wouldn't have such a great web site.

I am referring to a specific update...............the changes in the logbook.........there are obviously issues that many of us have observed and expressed our opinions about. These are issues that we are free to address.
Reply to: #973095 by wassamatta u
Mar 23, 2019 11:13am
Thread
Your theory was half correct.... The Go button loads by default, then I have it hide itself after the page is fully loaded.

AQ creates "hooks" that will make the form reload automatically when anything in it changes, but for slow-loading pages (usually those with a lot of finds), it can take several seconds. I left the Go button in place because without it, changing the form wouldn't cause the page to reload since the hooks aren't in place yet.

I thought leaving the Go button there would still allow people to click it to manually change the form before those hooks are created. Apparently, though, there are reports that that's not happening--which would be a bug. It's supposed to allow the form to work before the hooks are in place.

Once the hooks are in place, though, the JavaScript will remove the button because it's unnecessary and redundant since the page will reload whenever something in the form changes.

It also allows the page to be used even if someone has disabled JavaScript in their browser. The hooks use JavaScript so without JavaScript, there wouldn't be a way to submit the form. But without JavaScript, the button won't be removed either so the form is still usable. (This is much less a problem, though.)

At least until I can take a look at the problem (not this week), the easiest solution is to wait until the page has fully loaded (the Go button disappears) then change a form option.

On an unrelated note, I see several people complaining that the page loads slower and question that my changes could possibly make queries run faster when the pages seemingly load slower. The queries are running faster for two reasons despite your observations.

1. A lot of the work to load the page is your browser rendering the content. This is work that your computer is doing--not AQ. When you have tens of thousands of finds to display, your browser will take a lot longer to render it so it will seem legitimately slower to you. But from AQ's point of view, it's vastly faster. AQ is basically just sending the data in nearly a raw format and lets your browser do the heavy lifting.
  2. Without paginated results, people don't have to click through multiple pages to find a result. Previously, you might have had 20 pages of results but wanted to find the page that shows results of boxes that started with an "S". So you'd guess.... Maybe it was page 15? Nope, that wasn't the right page--maybe page 13? Whoops, missed again. Ah, there it is! Page 14! That's 4 times AQ had to run your logbook query--processing all of the tens of thousands of finds--to show your page of results. With the results on a single page, you click once and you're done. You don't have AQ run the same queries multiple times to find your listing.

So... that's why the pages work like they do. I know the pages load slower for large number of finds--but AQ does run faster which was my primary goal with the update.

-- Ryan
What’s in a name?
Mar 24, 2019 7:44am
Thread
My husband asked me to help him make his own stamp so he can letterbox with me. I’ve been boxing for almost a year now. I just used the name I use for crafting & mail exchanges as my trail name. So how do I help him pick a trail name? What should we use in the meantime?
Re: What’s in a name?
Reply to: #973211 by LadyRisa
Mar 24, 2019 11:55am
Thread
I would pick something with some versatility. As a noble pig, I have a lot of different choices if I get bored with my signature stamp image. There are plenty of pictures of pigs to choose from. Also, my name gives me the ability to capitalize on my nature, as in, I could plant boxes near BBQ places, or near old pig iron furnaces, of which there are many in my area. People at events will call you by your name as well. I find that, oddly, people feel uncomfortable calling me piggy, which amuses me. Also, the longer your name is, the longer it takes to write it in the logbook! Hope this helps :)
Mar 24, 2019 1:34pm
Thread
SirRisa?
Mar 24, 2019 1:50pm
Thread
Simplest solution would be something that ties to you. The two of you could become LadyRisa and LordRisa.
Reply to: #973234 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 24, 2019 1:51pm
Thread
Yea, Bacon goes with everything! ;-)
Reply to: #973243 by Kirbert
Mar 24, 2019 1:54pm
Thread
LaddyRisa
Reply to: #973246 by Don't Panic
Mar 24, 2019 2:11pm
Thread
Yea, Bacon goes with everything! ;-)

Agreed! Bacon goes with everything.
Mar 24, 2019 8:51pm
Thread
When I started letterboxing, my husband would tag along for events and for longer hikes. My letterboxing friends referred to his as the man-with-no-trailname .... which he didn't particularly like.

One day he declared that he never intended to go LBing without me, so his trail should be I'm w/Her. and so he is!!