A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

by The Mitchells2019ProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
How do you post them to your log book
by mudflinginfoolsProfileContactLogbookNote
Did you find one? Just find it on AQ under its listing and log your find like a regular box... Are you making one? Create a box - but instead of picking traditional - pick the HH category :)
by The Mitchells2019ProfileContactLogbookNote
I found two of them
by Wise WandererProfileContactLogbookNote
When you are searching AQ for them, remember to select “type” as “hitchhiker”, too. That helps narrow it down if you don’t have the listing #.
by Super Hedge HoggieProfileContactLogbookNote
♥ ♥ ♥ Got it now - THANKS!!
by WronghatProfileContactLogbookNote
When you type in the name of the box be sure to change the type to HH, cootie, flea
by Cross FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
Wow!...... Hat's off to Ryan fir Knowing his Hearts!....... I personally thought your answer was very Interesting!...J.Cross( Cross Family).
by Always On CallProfileContactLogbookNote
Somewhere I saw how to make camouflage bags. Now I cannot find it. Mine always look like a five-year-old child did it.
by DawnkeyProfileContactLogbookNote
Planter's pouch The Safari Man method
by BaqashProfileContactLogbookNote
Just note that Safari Mans are not mean to be water tight
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
They seem to do very well, though. I've found a couple, and despite the simplicity of the design (top just folded over, no seal per se) they seem to stay dry inside. As opposed to the duct-taped Ziploc baggie idea, which never seems to seal closed pr...
by Bandit RaccoonProfileContactLogbookNote
What are your general tips for letterboxing as a large-ish group, such as with a family or scout troop? I can imagine being stealthy can get tricky if there are many people in a group reading and discussing clues, looking for the box, stamping in, etc...
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
I haven't boxed with a large group, but I do have some suggestions. When you get close to the box, perhaps 50 to 100 feet, have only two or three go ahead for the box. Some adult should accompany them to make sure that they don't damage terrain and t...
by DawnkeyProfileContactLogbookNote
Would it be possible to go to a location where there is more than one box? I think it would be a lot more fun for everyone if you could split your troop into small groups, like an adult with 3-4 girls. Groups could rotate thru finding different boxes a...
by RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
You might want to plant a box or two for the girls to find, rather than having them find someone else's box. That way, you can teach them about being stealthy, rehiding properly, etc. without worrying about endangering an existing box.
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
You could ask the girls ahead of time about what ideas they have for finding a box without muggles being aware of what they're doing. [...] As long as they understand that I bet they'll have some great ideas about how to be sneaky. This is an excellent...
by NatureMamaB6ProfileContactLogbookNote
PLEASE make sure they learn what letterboxing is. The badge does not have that as a requirement. Another suggestion - do a series, divide the troop up depending on the number of clues, and have each group locate each of the series. If there was only on...
by Mama StorkProfileContactLogbookNote
You might want to check out the Scout's Honor board or do a search for this topic. I am thinking somebody has some really nice resources on how they have presented letterboxing to scout troops, but I have no idea who!
by JabberProfileContactLogbookNote
I would also like to add to what others contributed that the group should have a group stamp for using in the found box's log. I've done maintenance on some of my boxes that Scouts have found that have one image per page, same date, same skill level. T...
by Mama DeeProfileContactLogbookNote
All these ideas are very similar to what we did with our Scout group. First we would introduce them to the idea of letterboxing and explain some common terms. Then we let our older Scouts carve a few simple stamps and hide them for the younger girls. T...
These are some great ideas! I work with Cadettes who are in junior high, so they are always excited to lead and provide input. I am trying to plant more boxes in my area anyway, so maybe I'll make planting a series for them a project for sooner rather...
Thanks for the advice! Since I lead older girls, I think they would really enjoy the leadership experience of putting on an event; if they decide they like letterboxing I'll be sure to suggest it to them!
by NatureMamaB6ProfileContactLogbookNote
Here is some money saving hints for you: Place in large zip lock bag: free pen from your bank, great advertising for them stamp pad at dollar store foam 'carved' stamp at Hobby Lobby or other craft store 3x5 cards (unlined) for log book (cheapest rou...
by LadyRisaProfileContactLogbookNote
Tell me about it! I've never experienced a night box. It's a box intended to be found at night, but how does it work? How are the clues designed for nightlyness? How do you ensure that muggles don't see the night lights that lead to a night box?
by Public HandProfileContactLogbookNote
Well, here's one of my favorites and it does a good explanation of what to look for and how it works: http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?boxnum=11839
by DarkZen and Evil Cow PieProfileContactLogbookNote
This should help: http://www.cacheatnight.com/product/4d-firetacks-2/
by SagacornProfileContactLogbookNote
Night boxing is USUALLY done at events but there are a few out in the wild that are stand alone ones. The way it works is simple. There is some kind of a tack, marker, paint or light that shines when light hits it and that tells you where the box is....
by Super Hedge HoggieProfileContactLogbookNote
Nightboxing is tons of fun!! Basically it's hunting with a flashlight - so often times there will be reflective tape or tacks that will light up when you shine a light on them. Sometimes there are other lights (glow sticks, tea lights) to help light...
by MunkeybeeProfileContactLogbookNote
You're giving away our secrets!!! Glowing inks... Nonsense! ;) Nothing to see here, move along ....
by MunkeybeeProfileContactLogbookNote
Sometimes I find regular boxes at night. Graveyards are fun at night :) Just make sure you're not tresspassing or disobeying posted hours.