A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: Planning a plant
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #970096 by Janila
Jan 6, 2019 10:31am
Thread
all I do is change the date to the actual plant date before I activate the clues.

I'd recommend doing that after you activate the clues. Off the top of my head, I think AQ might automatically set the plant date to the activation date because I know a lot of people don't edit that sort of thing when they make a box live and if you make it live, there's a good chance that is the plant date. (Or, at very least, very close to it.)

I could be wrong.... this is off the top of my head and I'd have to look at the code to be 100% certain. But there's definitely no harm in changing the plant date after it's activated and you have to edit the listing anyhow to mark attributes, add a location and anything else that's specific to the box type you activated. (The reserved listing only let's you add options that are the same for all box types.)

-- Ryan
How do I make a heart?
Jan 8, 2019 9:40am
Thread
I have a series called I "heart" animals - and I want to post it with a heart instead of the word heart - I've seen people post hearts - does anyone know how I insert a heart in AQ?

(I can do <3 - but I want a cute little red one)

Thanks for any fonty/IT support!

Super Hedge Hoggie
Re: How do I make a heart? ❤️
Reply to: #970136 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jan 8, 2019 9:59am
Thread
Go to this website, and just copy and paste the emoji:

https://emojipedia.org/heavy-black-heart/

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Re: How do I make a heart?
Reply to: #970136 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jan 8, 2019 10:03am
Thread
The quickest, easiest way to make a heart is typing &hearts; in the message (or clue). It looks likes ♥

Unicode has several heart options, though, and the easiest way to add those to a post/clue/whatever is just to copy and paste the character.

A colorful heart like ❤️ can also be copied and pasted as well, but for emojis, I'd run a search for something like "heart emojis" and would find a page like this.

But you have to be a little careful with some of these since not all computers will support all of them, and not all devices will show exactly the same thing. Different fonts and systems will sometimes have different representations for the same icon.

-- Ryan

But you have to be a little careful with some of these since not all computers will support all of them, and not all devices will show exactly the same thing. Different fonts and systems will sometimes have different representations for the same icon.

-- Ryan
Hich hikers
Jan 8, 2019 10:47am
Thread
How do you post them to your log book
Re: Hich hikers
Reply to: #970139 by The Mitchells2019
Jan 8, 2019 11:02am
Thread
Did you find one? Just find it on AQ under its listing and log your find like a regular box...

Are you making one? Create a box - but instead of picking traditional - pick the HH category :)
Reply to: #970140 by mudflinginfools
Jan 8, 2019 11:45am
Thread
I found two of them
Reply to: #970139 by The Mitchells2019
Jan 8, 2019 12:30pm
Thread
When you are searching AQ for them, remember to select “type” as “hitchhiker”, too. That helps narrow it down if you don’t have the listing #.
Reply to: #970144 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jan 8, 2019 12:33pm
Thread

♥ ♥

Got it now - THANKS!!
Reply to: #970141 by The Mitchells2019
Jan 8, 2019 1:06pm
Thread
When you type in the name of the box be sure to change the type to HH, cootie, flea
Reply to: #970138 by Green Tortuga
Jan 8, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
Wow!...... Hat's off to Ryan fir Knowing his Hearts!....... I personally thought your answer was very Interesting!...J.Cross( Cross Family).
camouflage bags
Jan 13, 2019 10:57am
Thread
Somewhere I saw how to make camouflage bags. Now I cannot find it. Mine always look like a five-year-old child did it.
Re: camouflage bags
Reply to: #970268 by Always On Call
Jan 13, 2019 11:21am
Thread
Reply to: #970269 by Dawnkey
Jan 13, 2019 4:19pm
Thread
Just note that Safari Mans are not mean to be water tight
Reply to: #970282 by Baqash
Jan 13, 2019 5:52pm
Thread
They seem to do very well, though. I've found a couple, and despite the simplicity of the design (top just folded over, no seal per se) they seem to stay dry inside. As opposed to the duct-taped Ziploc baggie idea, which never seems to seal closed properly, is usually infested with bugs, etc.
Letterboxing in a group
Jan 16, 2019 6:59pm
Thread
What are your general tips for letterboxing as a large-ish group, such as with a family or scout troop? I can imagine being stealthy can get tricky if there are many people in a group reading and discussing clues, looking for the box, stamping in, etc. I would like to introduce letterboxing to a Girl Scout troop I’m leading, but want to go in with a plan for managing risk to the box. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: Letterboxing in a group
Reply to: #970371 by Bandit Raccoon
Jan 16, 2019 7:43pm
Thread
I haven't boxed with a large group, but I do have some suggestions. When you get close to the box, perhaps 50 to 100 feet, have only two or three go ahead for the box. Some adult should accompany them to make sure that they don't damage terrain and to make sure that it will be hidden as it is supposed to be. Then the others can be lookouts, and signal with some known but non-obvious (to muggles) signal.

They bring the box back to the group, who stamps in. Then they go back to hide it, with the adult to supervise.
Jan 16, 2019 7:47pm
Thread
Would it be possible to go to a location where there is more than one box? I think it would be a lot more fun for everyone if you could split your troop into small groups, like an adult with 3-4 girls. Groups could rotate thru finding different boxes at the location. If you don't have a place with several boxes maybe you could plant a few using store-bought stamps.

You could ask the girls ahead of time about what ideas they have for finding a box without muggles being aware of what they're doing. Since they're Girl Scouts they might be doing all kinds of things like examining trees, leaves, or rocks for badges. Or looking for birds or other wildlife. If they're in small groups they have built-in distraction capabilities, like playing tag or hide and seek while one person discreetly finds the box. That's another reason why it would be nice to look for several boxes since the girls could take turns being the finders and the distracters.

As for stamping in, it would be important to move away from the hiding spot and to have a cover story about what they're doing. Again, being Girl Scouts is good for cover stories.

I'm sure before you go out you'll be teaching the girls about being stealthy when looking for the box and putting it back, and how important it is to seal up the contents properly and thoroughly hide the box. As long as they understand that I bet they'll have some great ideas about how to be sneaky.
Jan 16, 2019 7:52pm
Thread
You might want to plant a box or two for the girls to find, rather than having them find someone else's box. That way, you can teach them about being stealthy, rehiding properly, etc. without worrying about endangering an existing box.
Reply to: #970377 by Dawnkey
Jan 16, 2019 9:21pm
Thread
You could ask the girls ahead of time about what ideas they have for finding a box without muggles being aware of what they're doing. [...] As long as they understand that I bet they'll have some great ideas about how to be sneaky.

This is an excellent idea! When they have previously been engaged in thinking of ideas, then go out the same day and apply those principles they will be as stealthy as the can be.
Reply to: #970381 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 17, 2019 3:43am
Thread
PLEASE make sure they learn what letterboxing is. The badge does not have that as a requirement. Another suggestion - do a series, divide the troop up depending on the number of clues, and have each group locate each of the series. If there was only one clue, I would have a scout or a couple of scouts with a leader/adult find the letterbox, stamp in, return the box to its hiding place and return to the group. Continue on until everyone has found, stamped in, and replaced the letterbox. My troop, when going on any trip, would want to see where letterboxes could be located. It then became another adventure and a fun trip. To start teaching letterboxing to my troop, I made up a series near where we would meet. I planted them and each girl had their own to figure out the clues and locate 'her' letterbox. They all stamped in, and continued until each scout found theirs. After they had experienced a few finds in the area and on trips, they decided to teach a class to make money for more trips.
Jan 17, 2019 4:19am
Thread
You might want to check out the Scout's Honor board or do a search for this topic. I am thinking somebody has some really nice resources on how they have presented letterboxing to scout troops, but I have no idea who!
Jan 17, 2019 6:56am
Thread
I would also like to add to what others contributed that the group should have a group stamp for using in the found box's log. I've done maintenance on some of my boxes that Scouts have found that have one image per page, same date, same skill level. That can fill up a logbook in a hurry.

It's good if each Scout has their own logbook for stamping the found box's stamp into. Just remember, the bigger the group the longer this will take.

That being said, I've done whole events just for Scouts at camp, in parks, and at local businesses.
Jan 17, 2019 7:29am
Thread
All these ideas are very similar to what we did with our Scout group. First we would introduce them to the idea of letterboxing and explain some common terms. Then we let our older Scouts carve a few simple stamps and hide them for the younger girls. The older Scouts really enjoyed writing their own Clues and carving the stamps. If you don't have older Scouts to help out consider partnering with another Scout Troop or the adults could hide pre-made stamps and write clues for the girls to find in a confined area before the first trip.
Absolutely carve group stamp. This makes it so much easier. Give each girl her own logbook. 1 stamp pad for each small group of 3-4 girls. We made a profile here (AQ) for our girls to teach then the "tech" side of letterboxing. This could translate into part of a computer/ tech badge also.

When searching for letterboxes it is a very good idea to have the girls practice being stealthy. Let them come up with their own diversions.

Another good idea is to break them into small groups no more than 4 to a group. We randomly assigned our girls positions such as 1. Lookout (stayed with the diversion scout), 2.shoe tier (diversion for muggles) , & 3.clue reader, 4. searcher (these stay together). Moms enjoyed helping out.

In our area, it's hard to find multiple stamps in one location. So we acted like we were on a nature walk (studying plant signs & stopping to read them). We gathered pinecones, bark, leaves.... all while searching for the box. After finding it, we sat in a nearby secluded area, pretending to observe our pinecones, all the while passing & logging our letterbox find.

Hope this helped! Happy hunting!
Reply to: #970377 by Dawnkey
Jan 17, 2019 4:49pm
Thread
These are some great ideas! I work with Cadettes who are in junior high, so they are always excited to lead and provide input. I am trying to plant more boxes in my area anyway, so maybe I'll make planting a series for them a project for sooner rather than later.
Reply to: #970383 by NatureMamaB6
Jan 17, 2019 4:58pm
Thread
Thanks for the advice! Since I lead older girls, I think they would really enjoy the leadership experience of putting on an event; if they decide they like letterboxing I'll be sure to suggest it to them!
Reply to: #970402 by Bandit Raccoon
Jan 18, 2019 4:10am
Thread
Here is some money saving hints for you:

Place in large zip lock bag:

free pen from your bank, great advertising for them
stamp pad at dollar store
foam 'carved' stamp at Hobby Lobby or other craft store
3x5 cards (unlined) for log book (cheapest route)
yarn or string for the logbook

copy of what Letterboxing is and/or any other information Ryan supplies on this website

Cover of logbook - I carved the Letterboxing GS badge and had the troop write the name of the class and date plus the 'stamped' badge on the cover.

The troop did the cover because of time restraints and the age of the 'guests'. My troop also made the holes for the logbooks. Again time restraints.

The guests did have to make the logbooks.
My troop did a demonstration of carving and had a piece of stamping material and carving tools and allowed the guests to 'carve' a line on the piece just to show them how to 'carve'.

We charged $5.00 including the letterboxing badge. That was 10 years ago (oh what memories). Providing the badge is a great incentive!

We used many badges as a come-on for holding classes to make money.

Good luck.
night boxing
Feb 25, 2019 11:33am
Thread
Tell me about it! I've never experienced a night box. It's a box intended to be found at night, but how does it work? How are the clues designed for nightlyness? How do you ensure that muggles don't see the night lights that lead to a night box?
Re: night boxing
Reply to: #972127 by LadyRisa
Feb 25, 2019 11:37am
Thread
Well, here's one of my favorites and it does a good explanation of what to look for and how it works:

http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?boxnum=11839
Re: night boxing
Reply to: #972127 by LadyRisa
Feb 25, 2019 11:59am
Thread