Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: What is considered a high or heavy traffic box?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #966904 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 17, 2018 6:40am
Thread
Because I just listed it with Rubaduc’s blessing yesterday with the plant date of 2006.
Tags
Oct 21, 2018 10:36pm
Thread
What is the best way to search for the LBs that I tagged?
Re: Tags
Reply to: #967098 by prbruja
Oct 21, 2018 11:13pm
Thread
What is the best way to search for the LBs that I tagged?

From the Advanced Search page, you can search for any and/or all of your tagged boxes.

-- Ryan
Re: Tags
Reply to: #967099 by Green Tortuga
Oct 21, 2018 11:42pm
Thread
Thank you!
How do I give someone credit
Oct 23, 2018 7:03am
Thread
How do I give someone credit for donating stamps that I’m planting? Do I just list in the clue? It seems like there should be a field for that.
Re: How do I give someone credit
Reply to: #967182 by LadyRisa
Oct 23, 2018 7:27am
Thread
While you are listing the box, there is a Series Info page which allows you to type in someone else's name as the carver. It defaults to your name, and is already filled in, so you may not notice it.
If you have already listed the box, choose Edit Box to get back to that page.
Re: How do I give someone credit
Reply to: #967185 by Maude
Oct 23, 2018 6:03pm
Thread
While you are listing the box, there is a Series Info page which allows you to type in someone else's name as the carver.

And you can list a different carver for each stamp in a series.
Reply to: #966831 by Outdoorsoccer
Oct 28, 2018 7:21pm
Thread
I am curious to know if you have gone by the LBs to check if no one has been to find them? I have done some box maintenance to check if my boxes were still around (i.e. after a severe weather event). When I look in the logbook, I have found some notes and stamps from folks that didn’t log the LB find online (AQ or LBNA).

Bumping this thread because I got an answer to this question. The boxes in question were a series of 3. Just got a message from the first finders of the second 2. They report the first one had been found back in April! No online log yet...
Reply to: #966831 by Outdoorsoccer
Oct 29, 2018 5:59am
Thread
would you put in a note saying you checked on the LB?

I like to check on my boxes at least annually if I live close enough. I like to make sure the box has been properly reclosed and sealed before any winter moisture gets in and freezes. There is a Maintenence Report icon at the top of the box's listing on your own boxes.
Bonus box
Nov 19, 2018 10:01am
Thread
I am confused about how to set up a bonus box. I want to plant a box with a bonus. How will someone know this one box has a bonus linked to it and how do I list it?
Re: Bonus box
Reply to: #968508 by Always On Call
Nov 19, 2018 10:15am
Thread
The idea of a bonus box is that it is a surprise - the finder is not supposed to "know that the one box has a bonus" linked to it. Most finders know to look carefully at the first box's logbook, box, or clue to see if there's a hint somewhere (often in the back of the logbook, but not always). When they find the bonus box, that box's logbook will contain the name and info to enable the finder to log the bonus.

When you set up the bonus box on AQ, make it dependent on the original box, which means unless/until the finder logs the original box, they cannot see the listing for a bonus box.
Re: Bonus box
Reply to: #968509 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 20, 2018 4:27pm
Thread
Thank you.
Changing the type of box
Nov 24, 2018 10:54pm
Thread
So for our first event I listed all our boxes as event stamp and didn't realize it doesn't count for your finds.... is there anyway to change without deleting and making everyone re-log their finds? thank you
Re: Changing the type of box
Reply to: #968675 by Moms_Play
Nov 24, 2018 11:15pm
Thread
So for our first event I listed all our boxes as event stamp and didn't realize it doesn't count for your finds....

Well.... yes and no. It doesn't count as finds for traditional boxes--but it does count towards finds of event boxes. AQ keeps track of both!

But the question isn't how do you list boxes to count them as finds--the question to ask is what kind of boxes did you create? Were they hidden out in the woods where people had to follow clues in order to find them? Then they should be listed as traditional boxes.

Or were they laying around for people to just stumble across? Then they should stay as event boxes. Anyone who complains that they don't count as finds--tell them that's because they aren't finds--not finds on a traditional box, at least.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #968676 by Green Tortuga
Nov 25, 2018 12:07am
Thread
"But the question isn't how do you list boxes to count them as finds--the question to ask is what kind of boxes did you create? Were they hidden out in the woods where people had to follow clues in order to find them? Then they should be listed as traditional boxes.

Or were they laying around for people to just stumble across? Then they should stay as event boxes. Anyone who complains that they don't count as finds--tell them that's because they aren't finds--not finds on a traditional box, at least."

They were a mix of both, some of the ones I made clues for I want to change to traditional and Leave them planted where they are, But at the time I marked them as event so those at the event could find them and I kinda wanted to see how they would do out where they were planted....

Can I change it, Or am I going to have to make new boxes and new Numbers?
Reply to: #968677 by Moms_Play
Nov 25, 2018 7:35am
Thread
Can I change it, Or am I going to have to make new boxes and new Numbers?

Admins can change it, but we need to know which boxes should be changed.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #968678 by Green Tortuga
Nov 25, 2018 1:33pm
Thread
Awesome ty
Box maintenance
Nov 27, 2018 10:31am
Thread
I checked on a box & went to note the maintenance report. There was the option to check found or missing, so I checked found. This increased the boxes “f” count. Was I not supposed to do that? I looked at my atlas quest logbook & it doesn’t show up for my finds list. I also didn’t see a way to delete it.
Re: Box maintenance
Reply to: #968815 by LadyRisa
Nov 27, 2018 10:39am
Thread
I checked your listing on Tarot symbol: sun and it looks like you did it right. The maintenance check shows up on the F-Summary as a Find so that seekers can see it is still being found--if the last entry were an x many would suspect that it has gone missing and not give it a shot.
Reply to: #968815 by LadyRisa
Nov 27, 2018 10:42am
Thread
In the database, a "maintenance" visit is recorded as another find, but AQ knows that you aren't allowed to "find" your own boxes and automatically excludes it from the finds on your logbook and F-count. (It will, however, show up

But it IS included the find summary for the box because you did confirm that the box was there by visiting it, and others should know it. You want people to know that you "found" your box--you just don't want it counted for "official" purposes.

So it's all working as expected!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #968817 by Green Tortuga
Nov 27, 2018 10:52am
Thread
Ok good. I think I blew my own mind with that one. Glad to know I did it right!
Can the same stamp/image be both a postal and an LTC?
Nov 27, 2018 11:37am
Thread
Situation: I have some stamps that have started out as postals, and I would like to send out the images as Quisps/LTCs/oversized LTCs. I don’t want to retire them as postals because I might want to send them out again in the future.

Should I list them in the LTC category, or as “Other” so recipients can log them in? Or, not list them at all?

It doesn’t seem quite right to me if they log it in as finding a postal, since they didn’t receive a stamp, didn’t stamp into a logbook, or process a postal envelope.

Thoughts?
Re: Can the same stamp/image be both a postal and an LTC?
Reply to: #968820 by JampersandJ
Nov 27, 2018 11:55am
Thread
List as LTCs use the recycle symbol and explain in the clues section that it is a postal and what postal rings its been on, if any.

You might want to add postal box number too.

And then provide these details to the postal listing as well, but for the LTC box number, etc.
Nov 28, 2018 5:40am
Thread
WOW! That's really nifty!

(I would now like to suggest a "WOW! That's really nifty!" button for responses, although it might be seen as too long ;) )

Thanks for a really great website and very interesting information!
-PLP
Reply to: #968850 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Nov 28, 2018 7:20am
Thread
I want the smite button back. I'm having a very smiteful Wednesday. Teaching middle school will do that to a person.
Re: Can the same stamp/image be both a postal and an LTC?
Reply to: #968821 by photopam
Nov 28, 2018 9:51am
Thread
Thanks! With the “agrees” and no alternate suggestions, I will take your advice!
Nov 28, 2018 3:13pm
Thread
How about something to show you visited a box you found earlier? 2 years ago I lost a book with images, and when convenient I’ve been refinding and recapturing the stamp image. Something to show that, yes, this box I found 4 years ago is still there because I just went back and found it again, without losing the original find date, showing the date I went back, but not adding another find to my totals?
Reply to: #968873 by cooledcoyote
Nov 28, 2018 3:35pm
Thread
showing the date I went back, but not adding another find to my totals?

Choose "Record Find", instead of having the "found" box checked, choose N/A, type your message in public comment and hit send. It will show your message under the "box comments" on the details page but not add another find to your count. However, it will not show up in the "View Finds" box, your comment would be the only record that you went back and found it again.
Nov 28, 2018 5:24pm
Thread
I have an alias account that I use for mostly maintenance purposes. I checked on a friend’s box that was marked as “missing”. It was still there. The alias was useful to show a “find” after the attempt, without affecting my on-line logs.

You can make an alias account and use it to keep track of your replacement images.
Nov 28, 2018 7:05pm
Thread
How about something to show you visited a box you found earlier?

I'd just use an alias account for that purpose. You can call it the "cooledcoyote ghost" because you're being followed by a "ghostly" persona who isn't "real." =)

-- Ryan