A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: Mystery
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #939916 by Always On Call
Jan 2, 2017 1:12pm
Thread
It is still a mystery to me as to how you find a mystery box.

Are having trouble with solving the clues, finding the clues, or finding the box itself?

Going to your home state letterbox page I see only two mystery boxes listed on AQ and a couple of additional mystery boxes listed on letterboxing.org as well as a never found Mapsurfer treasurebox from 1999BRQ #5: Black Rock Desert ( That one would be a feather in anyone's cap but a tough box to cut one's teeth on) So unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many mystery boxes in your area right now. If you start planting a few mystery boxes of your own perhaps others will enjoy them add follow suit.
Re: Changing dependent box?
Reply to: #939904 by BaliWho
Jan 2, 2017 1:35pm
Thread
You may be out of luck. You could try using a more specific address of a local McDonalds or other non-park location but no matter what you do, some people won't realize it is not the correct location until they have arrived.
Reply to: #939921 by dingus dufus
Jan 2, 2017 1:40pm
Thread
Are there Mapsurfer boxes in Florida?
Reply to: #939924 by FloridaFour
Jan 2, 2017 2:04pm
Thread
Possibly....

LB
mystery boxes
Jan 2, 2017 6:59pm
Thread
How do I go about finding out if there are any mystery boxes in my area? I live in Minnesota if that helps at all. Thank you

~FroggyGirl
Re: mystery boxes
Reply to: #939941 by MamaFrog
Jan 2, 2017 7:06pm
Thread
Minnesota is a big state. Perhaps you could be more specific and you'll get mystery boxes that are closer to you.
Re: mystery boxes
Reply to: #939941 by MamaFrog
Jan 2, 2017 7:17pm
Thread
How do I go about finding out if there are any mystery boxes in my area?

Click on Letterboxes at the top of the AQ page. Then choose city directory. Click on the map of Minnesota. Find the Big Question Mark and click on it.

Sorry I used directions instead of clues.
Reply to: #939926 by LightninBug
Jan 3, 2017 2:48am
Thread
I had an accidental MapSurfer find.
Even when I knew exactly where it was, I still couldn't figure it out by the clues.
GG, (not particularly good at figuring out Mystery boxes)
Re: Changing dependent box?
Reply to: #939738 by Sunia
Jan 3, 2017 10:10am
Thread
I have a bonus box that has never been found. Is it too late to change it, so it is just part of a series and will appear in people's searches?

If you want it to be listed as a completely independent box, you can just remove the restriction and add a clue. If you want it to be added as a new box in the series, I'd just delete the box and re-add it as a new box in the series. It doesn't have any finders, so it's not like it would affect anyone's logbook. Either will work, and it's not too late for either option.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #939921 by dingus dufus
Jan 3, 2017 12:26pm
Thread
The one I am looking at shows no clues. Box number 262320
Reply to: #939990 by Always On Call
Jan 3, 2017 12:34pm
Thread
That one has the following note on it, "Was supposed to be planted, became a temporary event stamp." So it's not actually findable as I read it??
Reply to: #939992 by Public Hand
Jan 3, 2017 2:04pm
Thread
So it's not actually findable as I read it??

I read it the same way -- not really a traditional letterbox. Unable to be found unless you were at the event.
Reply to: #940006 by RideTheMoose
Jan 3, 2017 5:12pm
Thread
If this isn't really out there to be found, its status should change to "unavailable" until replanted, or "retired" if the planter decides not to put it out as a traditional box. As I understand the clue, it isn't "active" at the present.

And if it did attend an event, the planter can add the event, so attendees can easily record the find.
Word Of Mouth Boxes
Jan 4, 2017 3:59pm
Thread
I get that they are word of mouth...But who's mouth? lol There is not clue written on most on who to find out from. Thank you.

~MamaFrog
I suck at mystery boxes
Jan 4, 2017 4:02pm
Thread
I have looked at about a dozen trying to figure them out. I normally pride myself on being good at puzzles but I can't figure any of them out lol. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Oh and the ones you have to decode/decipher HA! I am so lost.

Ok vent over, but any tips and/or tricks to help get better or to solve them is MUCH appreciated.

~MamaFrog
Re: Word Of Mouth Boxes
Reply to: #940072 by MamaFrog
Jan 4, 2017 4:19pm
Thread
Do you know (m)any other letterboxers? If not, I'd recommend going to events and getting to know some other folks. You won't get WOM boxes unless you know the people who have them.

Good luck!
Re: I suck at mystery boxes
Reply to: #940073 by MamaFrog
Jan 4, 2017 4:29pm
Thread
I had no idea how to solve ciphers until I started reading about them. Aiphid's worksheet is a great place to start!

Hope that helps!
Jan 4, 2017 4:43pm
Thread
A Mystery Box is a box with a start location that you have to solve (the location is a mystery).

For fun, here is one of mine - some thinking involved. Google, maps, and Yelp very helpful but no decoding or deciphering.
http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=225408

A brain-icon can get very involved in puzzle solving, or just takes a lot of time while you just brute force work on it, or it just might be an "aha!" (lightbulb moment), and you just see it! Sometimes, I just remain in the dark... :)
Reply to: #940076 by JampersandJ
Jan 4, 2017 4:50pm
Thread
For fun, here is one of mine

Got it! Fun clues. And it looks like a place I'd love to visit! :^)
Jan 4, 2017 4:58pm
Thread
Jumpersabdj that one was fun and I got it haha. Wish I was able to do that with others.

Thank you both so much for the help. I just gotta keep practicing :)

~MamaFrog
Jan 4, 2017 5:08pm
Thread
Since I also suck at it, the two mystery boxes I have planted (one retired, one active) can be easily solved by copy/pasting segments of the clues in Google. I have sympathy for fellow mystery box suckers :-)

Warrior Woman
levels the playing field one easy mystery after another ;-)
Reply to: #940079 by MamaFrog
Jan 4, 2017 5:08pm
Thread
Thank you both so much for the help. I just gotta keep practicing :)

You're welcome. And practicing is the best way to learn! :^)
Jan 4, 2017 5:11pm
Thread
In my experience, clues to Word Of Mouth Boxes find *you*

Warrior Woman
has been gifted with a few
Reply to: #940082 by Warrior Woman
Jan 4, 2017 5:34pm
Thread
In my experience, clues to Word Of Mouth Boxes find *you*

Absolutely! But you have to get to know other letterboxers, or they won't find you!
Jan 4, 2017 7:09pm
Thread
I normally pride myself on being good at puzzles but I can't figure any of them out lol. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Here are Eevil boxes not found. The Eevil Widget says that there are 8 left, but when I run the query it only shows 7. Perhaps I don't qualify to see one of them.

Nevertheless, these are ones that no letterboxer (except Eevil and his minions) has yet figured out how to solve.
Reply to: #940076 by JampersandJ
Jan 4, 2017 7:42pm
Thread
A Mystery Box is a box with a start location that you have to solve (the location is a mystery).

For fun, here is one of mine - some thinking involved. Google, maps, and Yelp very helpful but no decoding or deciphering.
http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=225408

A brain-icon can get very involved in puzzle solving, or just takes a lot of time while you just brute force work on it, or it just might be an "aha!" (lightbulb moment), and you just see it! Sometimes, I just remain in the dark... :)

Bingo, sums it up well.

People often confuse a mystery box and a puzzle box, though a letterbox can also be both.
Reply to: #940088 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2017 8:30pm
Thread
Here are Eevil boxes not found. The Eevil Widget says that there are 8 left, but when I run the query it only shows 7. Perhaps I don't qualify to see one of them.

Nevertheless, these are ones that no letterboxer (except Eevil and his minions) has yet figured out how to solve.

Don't forget the legendary mystery master and the Mapsurfer Treasureboxes! There are a number of letterboxes in that catalog almost old enough to vote and they're still waiting for a first finder.
Jan 5, 2017 2:39am
Thread
My WOM clearly states that the recipient does not have permission to pass it to someone else.
GG
Reply to: #940088 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 5, 2017 3:40am
Thread
my query only shows 6..... :-(
Reply to: #940096 by SherlockMiles
Jan 5, 2017 3:49am
Thread
my query only shows 6..... :-(

I see 7. One of them has restrictions. And maybe the 8th has a dependency.