Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: Let's talk about what makes a good clue - opinions please!
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #939493 by Kirbert
Dec 24, 2016 10:03pm
Thread
Hey, I hid a box under a corner of a 10-ton boulder -- and the boulder disappeared!

I also hid a box near an old steam locomotive that had been on static display forever, there were no RR tracks within miles any more, and the steam locomotive disappeared!

Sounds like it's time for a David Copperfield tribute box!
Reply to: #939497 by Janila
Dec 25, 2016 5:44am
Thread
I won't do mystery boxes that take me longer than an hour to figure out HOW to solve them.

I'm with Janila on this one. I do not want to spend hours in front of a computer screen to solve a puzzle, solve the puzzle and then what you get are directions. Local boxers have heard my rant a zillion times, mostly on the trail as I slack box a puzzle they have spent hours solving.
Reply to: #939545 by Mizscarlet
Dec 25, 2016 7:31am
Thread
I'm with Janila on this one. I do not want to spend hours in front of a computer screen to solve a puzzle, solve the puzzle and then what you get are directions.

I'm one of the group that solved the Eevil box in Utah. I wasn't able to go find it (though I may go at some time), but it was very satisfying to take several hours myself to contribute to getting this box found. You don't need to solve the starting location to read the rest of the clue. Would these be considered directions?
Reply to: #939493 by Kirbert
Dec 26, 2016 4:42am
Thread
I wanted to add that, for the box mentioned, the clues referenced "...a mule and an Iron Horse". There was a petting zoo here, really just a fenced-in compound with some emus and a couple of mules that would shamelessly beg passersby for scraps of food. The fact that I referenced a mule in the clue was kinda funny since they move around, but they're always there. Then my @#$%$ locomotive goes away!

To be fair, the animals went away, too - but not far. They're in a new enclosure just down the road.
Reply to: #939453 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 26, 2016 6:19am
Thread
what makes a good clue

A "Dingus", but even a "Dufus" can do it too!!! ;o)

Clues are like shoes. One size does NOT fit all, and most prefer different styles. Some people like plain shoes (simple), others like 'em ornate and fancy (complex)! Straight-forward "directional" clues will be easy for all, but can lack creativity and challenge. Some "mystery" clues might seem impossible to solve at first, but offer more satisfaction for those that find the solution. If your trying to please "the masses", you'll want a shoe that "most" would like. Finding a peaceful median is the trick, especially when a large event is involved. Sometimes "a little of each" is the best way to go! If you look at our planting clues, you will find a WIDE range of styles and "degree of difficulty". We try to make them ALL interesting, enjoyable and fun in a light-hearted way, so EVERYONE will have a most Grateful Day!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #939572 by The Merry Pranksters
Dec 26, 2016 2:26pm
Thread
So, if we use the shoe analogy....

Easy directions are the flip flops and crocs of letterboxing clues.

Our master's clues are the high tech army boots of clues.

Just regular mystery boxes would be the trail runners or light hiking boots of clues.

Ue
Reply to: #939581 by uevil
Dec 26, 2016 2:36pm
Thread
So, if we use the shoe analogy....
Easy directions are the flip flops and crocs of letterboxing clues.
Our master's clues are the high tech army boots of clues.
Just regular mystery boxes would be the trail runners or light hiking boots of clues.

Then Dingus Dufus's would be stilettos?
Changing dependent box?
Dec 31, 2016 3:28am
Thread
I have a bonus box that has never been found. Is it too late to change it, so it is just part of a series and will appear in people's searches?
Re: Changing dependent box?
Reply to: #939738 by Sunia
Dec 31, 2016 8:23am
Thread
It is not too late. I believe I've done the same without a problem.
Reply to: #939757 by Wronghat
Dec 31, 2016 8:51am
Thread
How? What to do first? Do I have to retire it and make a new box?
Reply to: #939758 by Sunia
Dec 31, 2016 10:38am
Thread
Just erase the dependency number on the restrictions page then save it.
Jan 2, 2017 10:34am
Thread
Sometimes for mystery type boxes, I put a city in the location so that it will show up in searches for a specific area. Then in the clues, I say, this box may or may not be in XXXX city. That will narrow down the area to a certain perimeter but not tell them exactly where it is.

Unfortunately, when I did that recently the AQ map put a pin exactly on a park in the middle of the city and its the wrong park. So that's confusing some people who didn't see or solve my clue/puzzle accurately.
Mystery
Jan 2, 2017 12:22pm
Thread
It is still a mystery to me as to how you find a mystery box.
Re: Mystery
Reply to: #939916 by Always On Call
Jan 2, 2017 1:12pm
Thread
It is still a mystery to me as to how you find a mystery box.

Are having trouble with solving the clues, finding the clues, or finding the box itself?

Going to your home state letterbox page I see only two mystery boxes listed on AQ and a couple of additional mystery boxes listed on letterboxing.org as well as a never found Mapsurfer treasurebox from 1999BRQ #5: Black Rock Desert ( That one would be a feather in anyone's cap but a tough box to cut one's teeth on) So unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many mystery boxes in your area right now. If you start planting a few mystery boxes of your own perhaps others will enjoy them add follow suit.
Reply to: #939904 by BaliWho
Jan 2, 2017 1:35pm
Thread
You may be out of luck. You could try using a more specific address of a local McDonalds or other non-park location but no matter what you do, some people won't realize it is not the correct location until they have arrived.
Reply to: #939921 by dingus dufus
Jan 2, 2017 1:40pm
Thread
Are there Mapsurfer boxes in Florida?
Reply to: #939924 by FloridaFour
Jan 2, 2017 2:04pm
Thread
Possibly....

LB
mystery boxes
Jan 2, 2017 6:59pm
Thread
How do I go about finding out if there are any mystery boxes in my area? I live in Minnesota if that helps at all. Thank you

~FroggyGirl
Re: mystery boxes
Reply to: #939941 by MamaFrog
Jan 2, 2017 7:06pm
Thread
Minnesota is a big state. Perhaps you could be more specific and you'll get mystery boxes that are closer to you.
Re: mystery boxes
Reply to: #939941 by MamaFrog
Jan 2, 2017 7:17pm
Thread
How do I go about finding out if there are any mystery boxes in my area?

Click on Letterboxes at the top of the AQ page. Then choose city directory. Click on the map of Minnesota. Find the Big Question Mark and click on it.

Sorry I used directions instead of clues.
Reply to: #939926 by LightninBug
Jan 3, 2017 2:48am
Thread
I had an accidental MapSurfer find.
Even when I knew exactly where it was, I still couldn't figure it out by the clues.
GG, (not particularly good at figuring out Mystery boxes)
Jan 3, 2017 10:10am
Thread
I have a bonus box that has never been found. Is it too late to change it, so it is just part of a series and will appear in people's searches?

If you want it to be listed as a completely independent box, you can just remove the restriction and add a clue. If you want it to be added as a new box in the series, I'd just delete the box and re-add it as a new box in the series. It doesn't have any finders, so it's not like it would affect anyone's logbook. Either will work, and it's not too late for either option.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #939921 by dingus dufus
Jan 3, 2017 12:26pm
Thread
The one I am looking at shows no clues. Box number 262320
Reply to: #939990 by Always On Call
Jan 3, 2017 12:34pm
Thread
That one has the following note on it, "Was supposed to be planted, became a temporary event stamp." So it's not actually findable as I read it??
Reply to: #939992 by Public Hand
Jan 3, 2017 2:04pm
Thread
So it's not actually findable as I read it??

I read it the same way -- not really a traditional letterbox. Unable to be found unless you were at the event.
Reply to: #940006 by RideTheMoose
Jan 3, 2017 5:12pm
Thread
If this isn't really out there to be found, its status should change to "unavailable" until replanted, or "retired" if the planter decides not to put it out as a traditional box. As I understand the clue, it isn't "active" at the present.

And if it did attend an event, the planter can add the event, so attendees can easily record the find.
Word Of Mouth Boxes
Jan 4, 2017 3:59pm
Thread
I get that they are word of mouth...But who's mouth? lol There is not clue written on most on who to find out from. Thank you.

~MamaFrog
I suck at mystery boxes
Jan 4, 2017 4:02pm
Thread
I have looked at about a dozen trying to figure them out. I normally pride myself on being good at puzzles but I can't figure any of them out lol. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Oh and the ones you have to decode/decipher HA! I am so lost.

Ok vent over, but any tips and/or tricks to help get better or to solve them is MUCH appreciated.

~MamaFrog
Re: Word Of Mouth Boxes
Reply to: #940072 by MamaFrog
Jan 4, 2017 4:19pm
Thread
Do you know (m)any other letterboxers? If not, I'd recommend going to events and getting to know some other folks. You won't get WOM boxes unless you know the people who have them.

Good luck!
Re: I suck at mystery boxes
Reply to: #940073 by MamaFrog
Jan 4, 2017 4:29pm
Thread
I had no idea how to solve ciphers until I started reading about them. Aiphid's worksheet is a great place to start!

Hope that helps!