Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

Re: What ever happened to the secret sign??
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #5787 by Alyson Wonderland
Jul 1, 2005 4:57am
Thread
i did notice someone has a personal traveller (and personal stamps to give out) if you answer her when she asks you which way is north with "up".

Check out CapeCodLetterboxer's new HH traveller listed here on AQ (under Travellers) and also LBNA (under regular boxes, I think). They have been started here on Cape Cod so it may take a while to make it out your way. She did a really nice job!

Mumma & Bunny Boy =D
Reply to: #5786 by Get Smart
Jul 1, 2005 5:54am
Thread
Speed of dark?
Jul 1, 2005 6:25am
Thread
If the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second.
What is the speed of dark?

Get Smart - Max
Reply to: #5791 by CapeCodLetterboxer
Jul 1, 2005 6:31am
Thread
Well Shucks! Guess I missed that one entirely. Thanks for the update and it is a neat idea, plus a lot of work on your part.

Even though I was way off track on "Which way is North", it could certainly serve as a "sign -counter sign" authentication for fellow LBers. I have asked folks on the trail and none have responded "correctly" as of yet. However, it would seem that anyone that has read this board and related threads would respond with "Nort is UP!" So I will continue to try that and see what happens.
Just in case, anyone know where I can get a deal on bail money?

Get Smart - Max
Re: Speed of dark?
Reply to: #5793 by Get Smart
Jul 1, 2005 6:45am
Thread
That is like asking the speed of a unicorn. Darkness does not exist, it is nothing (no photons).

If you say darkness is "light leaving," then it would be the same speed as light.

Love,
Scheherezade
Re: Speed of dark?
Reply to: #5795 by Scheherezade
Jul 1, 2005 7:25am
Thread
No, no, according to Dr. Science (he's smarter than you, he has a doctor's degree...in Science!) the speed of dark is merely broken, so it sits around the house until someone fixes it. Another one that he addresses is

Do you have to patent a cow to have patent leather?
another ponderous question
Reply to: #5795 by Scheherezade
Jul 1, 2005 8:57am
Thread
Ok...not a stupid question, but a real head scratcher.

I remember it from the tv show "Different World". A professor in a physics class asked:

Why does a mirror reverse things left and right, but not up and down?

phew...glad I was an art major

S~N~K
Re: another ponderous question
Reply to: #5802 by Sits N Knits
Jul 1, 2005 10:43am
Thread
Ooh, it never occured to me to wonder about that, but it's a poser.

I'm guessing it's due to the same thing I experience in karate class when I face someone and they're supposed to punch me, only I can never figure out which is their right and which is their left, because their right is on my left and vice versa.

I finally gave up, and now I just point. "Punch me with that arm, whichever it is."

DebBee
Bonus Boxes - 2 dumb questions
Jul 6, 2005 9:35pm
Thread
Are Bonus boxes listed?
Are Bonus boxes "scored" as found?

Get Smart - Max
Concord, NC
Re: Bonus Boxes - 2 dumb questions
Reply to: #5927 by Get Smart
Jul 6, 2005 10:34pm
Thread
If you can list it...........list it. You found it , yes??

-WINK
Reply to: #5927 by Get Smart
Jul 6, 2005 11:37pm
Thread
Quote Are Bonus boxes listed?
Are Bonus boxes "scored" as found?

Yes, and yes. They're typically listed as a traditional box (often as a mystery if the creator doesn't want to give away the nearest city of the bonus box), and they do get counted like any other traditional find on Atlas Quest.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #5940 by Green Tortuga
Jul 7, 2005 8:31am
Thread
Thanks to both of you. I didn't see it listed as TRADITIONAL - so I search other categories... thanks ..

Max and 99
Boxes listed only on LBNA ... is there a way to ....
Jul 8, 2005 9:21am
Thread
For boxes that are listed only on www.letterboxing.org that have been previoulsy found, but are not listed on AQ, is there a way to include them in the F count. Or is that only possible if the owner elects to list them here on AQ. In some cases, the owner is listed here, but with no plants etc.
Thanks...
Get Smart - Max & 99 - Concord, NC
Re: Boxes listed only on LBNA ... is there a way to ....
Reply to: #5969 by Get Smart
Jul 8, 2005 9:27am
Thread
Being that you are a premium member, you can. Go to the letterboxes tab and click record find/attempt. Enter the name of the box. If not listed on AQ, you have an option, for premium members only, to add this box to the database and it counts in your find count. Hope this helps!

Liz
Reply to: #5971 by Penguin Patrol
Jul 8, 2005 7:53pm
Thread
Well, Well, Well - special privs for us "snooties" - that is great!
Thanks PP ... that will help out...

Get Smart - Max & 99 - Concord, NC
Reply to: #5987 by Get Smart
Jul 8, 2005 8:12pm
Thread
I'll take all the privs I can get. Now maybe I can get close to an accurate F count and quit having to pull out my logbook and count each stamp.

Yes, I'm lazy. could you tell?

Knit Wit
stamp
Sep 8, 2005 12:58pm
Thread
I heard about letterboxing years ago on NPR, but thought it might be too complicated. Then really got going since friends introduced me to Geocaching and I stumbled on letterboxing.

the question: I haven't settled on one particular stamp and have left different stamps at different locations ... is that too strange? do I have to settle down? ...I've had trouble with picking a trailname too.

I have had a great time creating stamps (one woodblock, one carved eraser(didn't like it much) and several out of some craft foam cut from scissors then mounted on woodblock and a few mounted on cardboard) I haven't had the chance to get to an art supply store and have been trying to avoid the expense.. although I'm not sure my foam stamps will last, they do make nice impressions.

H
Re: stamp
Reply to: #8002 by Splish Splash
Sep 8, 2005 1:35pm
Thread
Welcome to letterboxing! I say that letterboxing is what you make of it, wheter it is store bought, you carve it out, or simply sign your name. The point is to have fun with it. If it no longer is fun, then what's the point?

I have had 3 different sig. stamps and 2 different trail names over time. And I'm ok with that. Life changes and so do people, so it only stands to reason that sig. stamps and trail names will too.

Good luck and have fun. And in the words of a fellow boxer,

Just get out there and box!

Liz
of Penguin Patrol
Re: stamp
Reply to: #8002 by Splish Splash
Sep 8, 2005 6:30pm
Thread
Quote I haven't settled on one particular stamp and have left different stamps at different locations ... is that too strange? do I have to settle down? ...I've had trouble with picking a trailname too.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people change their signature stamps quite often, and one person I know even created seasonal signature stamps. =)

-- Ryan
Re: stamp/trail name
Reply to: #8015 by Green Tortuga
Sep 9, 2005 12:35am
Thread
I really want a trail name. I haven't picked one yet. I have been Amanda from Seattle (how boring) for the past 4 years because I can't figure out a trail name.
Reply to: #8027 by Amanda from Seattle
Sep 11, 2005 6:12pm
Thread
Hi Amanda

I kinda like your "trail name". It is discriptive.
And when I fly again, it's easy to remember to ask if you're on the crew
(I still want your personal traveler!)

I'm not 100% happy with my trail name either. I do a lot more than knit. But I decided to carve my first stamp instead of knitting that fateful night. My knitting needles inspired me.
I could have used my screen name, Anna Ferhanna, But I couldn't come up with a design idea. (There is a story behind that name)
My childhood nicknames are just too strange. Dad used to call me Dumpy (a story there too) But I didn't think "The Dumpy Boxer" would cut it
And thinking of my job...I could have been "The Scribe" or "Christmas Elf"
...nah

S~N~K
Reply to: #8137 by Sits N Knits
Sep 11, 2005 6:17pm
Thread
I could have used my screen name, Anna Ferhanna

That makes me think of Rosanna Rosanna Danna. :-)

In hindsight, I too wish I had used a different trail name. My college nickname was Aimless and that truly would have been a fun trail name if I would've slowed down and thought about it. As it was, I was too eager to get started and only thought about that nickname after a couple boxes had been planted already. I've seen others change names but I decided to just stick with it for better or worse.

Amyrica
Reply to: #8138 by Amyrica
Sep 11, 2005 6:21pm
Thread
Rosanna Rosanna Danna
...nope, no connection

hummm, maybe I should carve another personal traveler
Reply to: #8137 by Sits N Knits
Sep 11, 2005 7:20pm
Thread
Quote And thinking of my job...I could have been "The Scribe" or "Christmas Elf"
...nah

S~N~K

So you work as an elf at Christmas time? There has to be some funny stories for that one...

Liz
aka Christmas Elf
Reply to: #8150 by Penguin Patrol
Sep 12, 2005 6:57am
Thread
Actually Liz,

My full time job is at a Christmas shop. Yes, I do have stories. I really don't wear a wierd costume. But I do have a red Christmas apron.
The kids notice this and ask me lots of questions about what it's like to be one of Santa's helpers.
I remember one little girl who asked me if I was Santa's helper. I told her yes.
She asked me, "Did Santa say that I was good?"
I told her that Santa doesn't give out information like that. But I thought a second...Did you get lots of neat toys last year? "Yes"
Then I think you were good.

I sometimes letterbox with two friends from my shop. When we go out together, we're the Elf Trio

=0)

S~N~K
A question about listing 'carvers' or 'designers'
Nov 30, 2005 8:39am
Thread
I was just wondering...I have a HH in the works that may be designed by someone else. However, this person is NOT a letterboxer, and does not intend to become one. So, I was curious, if I list their name as the 'carver' or whatever, will AQ try to link their name with a profile/logbook/email link, or does it know that the name is NOT an AQ profile, and will leave it alone?

It doesn't really matter, I suppose, but I was wondering.

-Celtic Quinn
Re: A question about listing 'carvers' or 'designers'
Reply to: #11910 by Celtic Quinn
Nov 30, 2005 9:08am
Thread
Quote I have a HH in the works that may be designed by someone else.

If they have an account on Atlas Quest, you can link to them. If not, you're out of luck. =)

-- Ryan
Custom Online Maps?
Mar 21, 2006 11:37am
Thread
Can someone recall the name (or better yet, provide me with a link) to the customized online maps that were discussed *somewhere* on Atlas Quest a few months back?

They were sort of like Google Maps, but you could add your own landmarks to them.

Thanks
Lisa
Re: Custom Online Maps?
Reply to: #18393 by lisascenic
Mar 21, 2006 2:54pm
Thread
Quote Can someone recall the name (or better yet, provide me with a link) to the customized online maps that were discussed *somewhere* on Atlas Quest a few months back?

I believe it was Frappr?

http://www.frappr.com/
Re: Custom Online Maps?
Reply to: #18393 by lisascenic
Mar 21, 2006 3:59pm
Thread
It was www.wayfaring.com. It was very cool. I have one I'm making to plot my itinerary for letterboxing at the Spring Flinger.

Thunderbird