Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing

by EidolonProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
I'd just use an alias account for that purpose. You can call it the "cooledcoyote ghost" because you're being followed by a "ghostly" persona who isn't "real." =) I have an awesomely named "Box Found" alias for this purpose.
by DarkZen and Evil Cow PieProfileContactLogbookNote
Ha ha, that is awesome!
by SpartanfansProfileContactLogbookNote
The ones that we had to find in the hotel, from the clue packet should be listed as "traditional", for example, the ones on every floor that combined to form 1 stamp, and the ones that were outside. There was also clue for all the boxes in the hotel l...
by airstream dreamsProfileContactLogbookNote
"But the ones in your room should be considered HIPS or "event boxes"" I thought HIPS and events boxes were different in some cases. What I thought: Event boxes are on a table at an event and you go walk up and get it, no searching or clues involved...
by Colorful CaterpillarsProfileContactLogbookNote
HIPS boxes don't have clues. They are a type of event box that is on the table but are "hidden in plain sight". For example, my Prehistoric Policeman? is glued to the bottom of a rock. You might miss it if you don't pick it up and look at it. Another...
by Una Marlee SueProfileContactLogbookNote
I just attended an event Sunday and the HIPS were listed as traditional boxes because we had to solve puzzles in order to access (lock boxes) or find the location of the stamps. These boxes took alittle more effort and strategic thinking to get the im...
by airstream dreamsProfileContactLogbookNote
I totally agree with you. It should be up to the planter and everyone have fun and be a Happy Camper.
by Green TortugaProfileContactLogbookNote
Hips are Hidden in Plain Sight, and have clues , altho clues make be vague, but still written clues. So shouldn't they be a traditional count? You had to make the effort to actually search for them. Notice that "HIPS" is an attribute only for event sta...
by EidolonProfileContactLogbookNote
I've even gone so far as to not record finds on incorrectly-listed event boxes because I don't want them screwing up my F-counts. I do that too. I have a spreadsheet with "real totals" (which is sorely out of date, I am working on catching that up) whi...
by PeaceLovePiano and MomProfileContactLogbookNote
Hi everybody! I am curious: if we attempted a box and did not find it (and logged it in as an attempt/not found) then later we went back and found it (and logged it in as a find)...why is there still an "attempt" listed on it? (NOT Criticizing-just cu...
by DawnkeyProfileContactLogbookNote
AtlasQuest is set up so that you can record up to one find and one attempt on each box. The fact that you logged a find on one date does not change the fact that you recorded an attempt on the same box on a previous date. If you don't like the attempt...
by WronghatProfileContactLogbookNote
if we attempted a box and did not find it (and logged it in as an attempt/not found) then later we went back and found it (and logged it in as a find)...why is there still an "attempt" listed on it? Having both the attempt and the find gives searchers...
by Public HandProfileContactLogbookNote
Having both the attempt and the find gives searchers an indication of the difficulty of finding the box It's not always about difficulty.....our first attempt was a miss but we were literally brand new boxers. Went back a year later with some more exp...
by Wise WandererProfileContactLogbookNote
It's not always about difficulty.....our first attempt was a miss but we were literally brand new boxers. Went back a year later with some more experience under our belts, realized our mistakes and then found the box with no difficulty This serves as g...
by IrishRefProfileContactLogbookNote
So what really counts as a find? Is it finding the stamp, box or both? Typically you find the box and stamp which is easy to determine. However what about the following scenarios: Scenario A You find the empty box or with the dreaded GeoCache tri...
I like what dingus dufus has said about this question: Pressing the image into your logbook and your trail stamp into the box logbook were originally meant to be conformation of a successful hunt. https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/messages.php?startId...
by BaliWhoProfileContactLogbookNote
I would count both of your scenarios as attempted. I agree with the above comment.. stamp in book is mission accomplished. My stamp doesn't necessarily have to be in the box's logbook, but the box stamp has to be in mine.
What to do if stamp image on the letterbox logbook is completely different from the image on the stamp that now resides in the letterbox, as if the stamp has been swapped out? We ran into this situation at Walden Pond--counted it and notified owner bu...
by BaliWhoProfileContactLogbookNote
Weird. I wonder if someone left their sig stamp by mistake? I guess I'd count that as a find!
by RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
What to do if stamp image on the letterbox logbook is completely different from the image on the stamp that now resides in the letterbox, as if the stamp has been swapped out? We ran into this situation at Walden Pond--counted it and notified owner but...
by RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
Scenario A You find the empty box or with the dreaded GeoCache trinket. I don't count it. Scenario B You find a box (can feel or see it and sure it is what you seek) but couldn't retrieve it from it's hiding place. Could be too far into a hole or has...
by ElleProfileContactLogbookNote
I ran into this situation once. A stamp had been missing from a series and then I saw it was being recorded as a find. I went to check it out and someone and placed a stamp where there were clues indicated for the missing stamp but obviously it didn'...
Scenario A You find the empty box or with the dreaded GeoCache trinket. I've heard tell of some who just ink up the geotrash they find in the box and stamp in with that--once I found a box with a pinecone in it and was sorely tempted.
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
Yes! I got mild revenge over a travel bug I found in one of my boxes by featuring it in is own box for an event. Everyone inked the harmonica trinket and stamped it. It looked like staves (sorta), so I added notes and called it Blow Me. Naturally....
by gemini girlProfileContactLogbookNote
This has happened to us too! I only knew it was the wrong stamp because I had found the HH previously and stamped it! Contacted the owner and no response..... so send the wrong stamp in the HH or wait?!
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
So what really counts as a find? Is it finding the stamp, box or both? I've always thought that it is finding (and exchanging) the stamp (image).
Remember the first letterbox had no stamp at all. Still, I feel cheated when I find a letterbox without the stamp, although some of my best letterboxing experiences have ended up with no stamp to show for the effort.
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
Scenario A You find the empty box or with the dreaded GeoCache trinket. I don't count it. I once had a letterboxer tell me that he found one of my boxes that had clearly been geotrashed, stamp was gone and a whole collection of knickknacks left in its...
by Boxer Lover47ProfileContactLogbookNote
I once found a box with its correct log book, but the stamp had been replaced by a piece of T-bone (yes, you heard that right). I inked it up and stamped it in my own log book.
by Wise WandererProfileContactLogbookNote
So he carefully inked up the belly of the rubber snake and stamped it into his log book. After hiking a long ways, and looking hard for a particular box, I found it with nothing inside but the logbook and a little plastic cow (wrapped in the inky felt...