Thread
I go with 1 plant, as a restriction.
Re: I know I'm newish but......
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #928632 by PiggyJaunt
Jun 19, 2016 5:04pm
Thread
I've found that actively used cemeteries are pretty hard to plant in

Admittedly I haven't found any in Virginia......at least not in my memory at the moment....I've been down that way, but I have found a gazillion boxes in busy cemeteries, many VERY busy. It can be done!
Reply to: #928618 by wineandpines
Jun 19, 2016 5:09pm
Thread
If it's the one I think, there are no newbie finders.

Is there a member of your family buried there? If you themed it that way then you have a reason to give to a grounds keeper for planting there.
Reply to: #928618 by wineandpines
Jun 19, 2016 5:15pm
Thread
Ask permission from groundskeeper and no need for restrictions.
Re: Find Count Discrepancy
Reply to: #928355 by TrailTroll
Jun 19, 2016 6:04pm
Thread
TrailTroll, TrailTroll.... so sad to hear about your fall. I hope you're back soon, and when you are, maybe it'll give you some pleasure to know I think I finally fixed this persistent problem thanks to you and your logbook. =)

The numbers are quick and easy to fix--just count up all of the boxes again. Trying to figure out why they get out of sync is more problematic since I have no way of knowing exactly when the numbers went out of sync, or which boxes have changed that might have caused the problem.

When I re-ran the numbers, I checked all of the counts on your profile. Your traditional box count had been off by two, but your personal traveler count was off by three! It was the first time I'd noticed an incorrect count on a non-traditional box, and having only 400 of those finds which don't change nearly as much as your near-3,000 finds--I figured out which three boxes had caused the discrepancy. Working back from that, I think I finally figured out the cause of the problem and fixed it. Complicated database stuff involving foreign key constraints and triggers--the details aren't really important.

But your numbers--hopefully--should never drift again!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #928667 by Green Tortuga
Jun 19, 2016 6:40pm
Thread
Isn't that just like TrailTroll? Even while completely incapacitated, she's helping make the letterboxing world a better place.

And thank you, Ryan, for your never-ending dedication to this web site.
Reply to: #928667 by Green Tortuga
Jun 19, 2016 8:26pm
Thread
My OCD thanks you
My regular-self thanks you
Reply to: #928666 by FloridaFour
Jun 20, 2016 9:52am
Thread
Some groundskeepers get pretty peeved and consider it disrespectful.
Reply to: #928621 by Celtic Roots
Jun 20, 2016 9:53am
Thread
You're newish? Mazel Tov!
Reply to: #928697 by PapaSolo
Jun 20, 2016 11:22am
Thread
Love the get-well troll.
Jun 20, 2016 12:03pm
Thread
Not necessarily true.
1) Groundskeepers change and box permissions are not on their "Things to share" list.
2) Permission does not equal protection. If it's found in the open or by a muggle, a box is still at high risk. And a groundskeeper is not going to want to do any maintenance for you.

I know the guy in charge of one of our local cemeteries (Not sure that he's the groundskeeper per se) and he is very bothered by the people in SUVs who careen around staring at their GPS device, occasionally putting gravestones at risk of collision. It actually sounded like they'd had a few hit, but he didn't elaborate beyond the whole wanting people to watch the road to stay on the path and avoid mourners/visitors. I assured him that this was NOT letterbox related, though he said he really likes to encourage interest in the cemetery because more interest means more revenue from the city for better upkeep.
Reply to: #928697 by PapaSolo
Jun 20, 2016 12:12pm
Thread
Wouldn't that be a good reason not to plant?
If someone didn't want our box or was negative about the placement we would politely apologize and choose a different location.
Re: Decorative picture not showing up in clue
Reply to: #928579 by Puddledunk
Jun 20, 2016 1:43pm
Thread
I asked about this a while ago. From what I remember, decorative Clues are no longer "needed". :-( But if the photo is part of the clue then it will show from any device, I think.
I think....
I think....
But then there is a reminder to please not abuse this option for a decorative photo.
Reply to: #928632 by PiggyJaunt
Jun 20, 2016 2:23pm
Thread
Gee, the activity level makes zero difference to me. What's important is the groundskeeping style. On one end of the spectrum is the wholly abandoned cemetery in the woods, no problem hiding. At the other is the cemetery that requires headstones to be flush with the ground so the lawn mower can run right over them. Not a shrub in sight. Even in a popular and oft-visited cemetery, I'll have no trouble planting one of my cashew nut jars as long as there are bushes big enough to hide it in. Just yesterday I planted two in a cemetery that had at least three or four visitors in and out while we were planting.
Reply to: #928730 by Kirbert
Jun 20, 2016 4:34pm
Thread
So why has the initial question been deleted?
Reply to: #928717 by Uncorny Acorns
Jun 20, 2016 6:12pm
Thread
Precisely.
Reply to: #928717 by Uncorny Acorns
Jun 20, 2016 7:09pm
Thread
If someone didn't want our box or was negative about the placement we would politely apologize and choose a different location.

Remember the Environmental Avenger from the NW who considered all letterboxes to be assaults on Nature so was hunting down and eliminating as many as possible.
Or the guy from Tennessee who had his feelings hurt when female letterboxers would not meet up with him so that he decided there should be no letterboxes in Tennessee.
Reply to: #928737 by Mizscarlet
Jun 20, 2016 7:13pm
Thread
Because I had enough answers to figure out what to do, LOL!
Jun 20, 2016 7:16pm
Thread
This church is so unpopular that they don't have a working phone number or email address, or else I would have asked for permission! Trust me, lesson learned. No more cemetaries for my boxes.
Reply to: #928646 by Uncorny Acorns
Jun 20, 2016 7:18pm
Thread
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they're going to return the box. They posted a "No trespassing, do not return, we've removed the box" sign on the tree and haven't called me. (I left multiple notes in the mailbox and I can't call them, as they don't have a working phone number or email address.) If they don't answer by Sunday, I may make an appearance at the church service.
Reply to: #928737 by Mizscarlet
Jun 20, 2016 7:25pm
Thread
And why else did I delete it? Because I'm newish and you oldies intimidate me. I'd rather not feel like a complete idiot. Most of the time, I get at least 3 responses on my legitimate questions that are kinda rude. I can't help it if I'm new! Haha!
Reply to: #928750 by Wronghat
Jun 20, 2016 7:53pm
Thread
That's not the right church, unfortunately. This is the right one: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2262606. They also have a website, but the contact information has been disconnected and the pastors name on the website doesn't match the pastors name on the board in front of the church, so I'm assuming the site is inactive.
Reply to: #928751 by wineandpines
Jun 20, 2016 8:33pm
Thread
This sounds like the beginning of a Steven King novel.
Reply to: #928698 by PapaSolo
Jun 20, 2016 8:43pm
Thread
You're newish? Mazel Tov!

Das ist vhat you zaiy at zee bris, after to zee mohel carves.
Reply to: #928756 by Boris Badenov
Jun 20, 2016 9:57pm
Thread
Not clicking it... Not clicking it... Not clicking it...
Reply to: #928747 by wineandpines
Jun 20, 2016 11:27pm
Thread
I think I'm missing some of the story, but at this point I would leave a note apologizing for any offense, explaining the hobby and that you were unaware they prohibited treasure hunting activities on the premises. No harm was intended, and you would be happy to collect the box at their earliest convenience (insert contact info).

Then leave it alone. They may have disposed of the box, which is disappointing. But it's one of the hazards of the hobby. Move on to bigger and better things! There are many box hazards...I found one that had been dragged several feet from it's hidey hole and chewed on. Another that was in shreds when some sort of lawn mower/tractor type item had razed the field (including a dead tree that was hiding the box)
And then there was the box we were sure was gone, and when we went to check, just in case it had been moved, we found a corner peaking up out of the dirt exactly where we'd planted it. Rusted shut. A bunch of maintenance had been done in the area, but the box had survived unscathed. That was a happy find! :-)
Reply to: #928745 by wineandpines
Jun 21, 2016 2:03am
Thread
Not all cemeteries are associated with churches.
Reply to: #928748 by wineandpines
Jun 21, 2016 2:19am
Thread
And why else did I delete it? Because I'm newish and you oldies intimidate me. I'd rather not feel like a complete idiot. Most of the time, I get at least 3 responses on my legitimate questions that are kinda rude. I can't help it if I'm new! Haha!

I'm sorry to hear that. Asking questions is how we learn. I think some of us forget that we were all new once, too.
Reply to: #928745 by wineandpines
Jun 21, 2016 2:52am
Thread
This church is so unpopular that they don't have a working phone number or e-mail address

That's actually kind of interesting.... that there's no contact info. Weird!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude and I saw your recent comment about rude comments. It's just that I have had much better luck from privately run places when I've asked permission. Surprisingly, I've never had anyone say no. Maybe it's all in the approach. Make a letterbox sound like it would benefit them. I've even had people ask me to please plant a letterbox! :-)

For cemeteries, you could say that some people who are cemetery, find a grave and ancestry buffs love to visit cemeteries and are also letterboxers. Not disrespectful at all. Also, some people like to box in cemeteries because they find them safer and easier to get around than solo hikes in the woods.