A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Television: After the Show Ends

Re: Schitt's Creek
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #980971 by thndrkttn
Nov 9, 2019 12:57pm
Thread
Haven't gotten to that episode yet . . . lol!

But speaking of Johnny and Moira, as I have been for the last week and half, aka Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are no strangers to character driven projects. In fact, one of my favorite character driven movies is Best in Show, which Eugene and Catherine play a married couple who are the complete opposites of Johnny and Moira. In fact, they are nothing like them. Eugene plays nerdy, homebody guy with two left feet, literally, while Catherine is now a tamed, but once floosey, house wife. And everywhere they go, they would run into someone Catherine's character had an encounter with in some seedy or odd place. Catherine does get a bit Moira at the end of the movie with her cd for Terriers "Bow-wow" song, but I digress.

Best in Show is shot documentary style, following the pet owners of the dogs who are participating in a dog show. It's low key, but all character driven and if that is something you can appreciate, then I do highly recommend it.

To this day, I will quote this movie, like "get the buzzie bee!" or "we both love soup."

In fact this clip is actually used in Adult Protective Services training to kinda lighten the mood while underlining a point in the real world, though it's funny in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PnRM-m7Dg

csk
Reply to: #980972 by Captain Slick Kitty
Nov 9, 2019 8:03pm
Thread
Best in Show, the Bloodhound guy from Pine Nut, NC....LOVE it...."Pea nut, Hazel nut, cashew nut, macadamia nut!"
"Pistachio nut, red pistachio nut....natural white pistachio nut"

https://youtu.be/xf-oitGkGEw

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #980971 by thndrkttn
Nov 9, 2019 8:08pm
Thread
This might be my favorite ---

https://youtu.be/jVojhvifruk

"This Wine Is Awful Get Me Another Glass"

all Moira

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #980982 by Amanda from Seattle
Nov 11, 2019 10:08am
Thread
"If you say fold in the cheese one more time..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywzrUJnmTo Bahahaha!

And here's the one that I was referring to earlier when "nobody was supposed to be home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfwDjvXv4o
Making it on NBC
Dec 24, 2019 2:08pm
So many of us are crafty people. I have been enjoying Making It on NBC....like the baking shows or others, it is a competition about crafting. So much fun to watch and I get some great ideas of stuff to do!!

It is also on Hulu.

https://www.nbc.com/making-it/video/what-are-you-made-of/4075916

Amanda from Seattle
You - on Netflix ... wow!
Jan 1, 2020 8:04pm
Thread
It’s as if Dexter crashed into a rom-com. The writing is extremely well done. Season 1 and 2 available.

Joe Bob Briggs says check it out!
Re: You - on Netflix ... wow!
Reply to: #982163 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 3, 2020 7:35pm
Thread
And it is based on a book called You by Caroline Kepnes. Also very good.
YOU, I don’t know man . . .
Jan 10, 2020 4:13pm
Thread
Okay, so….. the Netflix show YOU is back and this kitty was been rubbing her paws with excitement . . .

And I am on episode 4 and guys, gals, guys, gals . . . . I am shaking my head here . . . I don’t know man . . .

I think it’s sinking. I think it’s going down. (Insert teethy inhale with a tight smile)
But let’s start at the beginning . . .

Our guy Joe, who, let’s be honest, 70-30 loved, in season is back. But this time, he is in sunny LA and is trying to move past his bad deeds in New York . . . Trying. In fact, old Joe is the NEW Will.

Smack dab in superficial city, Joe is doing his best to avoid future love entanglements, or so he hopes . . . and when that plan fails, Joe, who actually does have serious depth, is struggling to be copacetic with all of these vegan, hippie, anti-western medicine types.

So, okay, episode 1 was good. It leaves you shaken about Old Joe New Will.

And okay, the $50,000 dollar situation, I did not see coming . . . okay . . .

But damn, I am really feeling old Joe’s story lines are replaying in new Will’s life . . . young kid in danger, New Will’s love obsession has a seriously co-dependent attachment . . . again with the teethy inhale with a tight smile. And I say this with this facial look because I hated PEACH and now they give me FORTY . . . yes, that is actually his name.

And to top it all off, I am not exactly loving anyone, not even my puppy brown eyed Old Joe, New Will . . . everyone kinda annoys me. The snot nose brat 15 year old, and her sister. LOVE, the love interest. Boring. Flat. And her attachment issue is soooo last season. Forty, really annoyed with that guy. Real Will is alright. But that’s it.

Granted I didn’t like any adult in season 1, except Little Karen Mint and Paco the kid, but season one had you hooked. You had to see what would happen next. I am not hooked here. I am not feeling fishy hooked and being reeled in . . .

Now as I have been struggling with my opinions, I did some reading to see to if I am the only person who is feeling this way and apparently, NO, I am NOT. Several people were quite disappointed.

And unfortunately, I learned the “plot twist” . . . and even though I was not sure I wanted to continue watching BEFORE, I am really more unsure if I want to continue watching NOW.

AUGH.

Okay, I will probably take cat nap and come back to this in about a week.

I know some people are Mc-LOVE-ing it, but so far, not this kitty. Not this kitty. Paws crossed that this will change.

csk
Re: YOU, I don’t know man . . .
Reply to: #982439 by Captain Slick Kitty
Jan 14, 2020 5:23am
Thread
I agree! I like the series, really wanted to love it, but I feel like its just YOU 2.0. Not a lot has changed....the kid is annoying as heck! The sister is a cross between sweet caregiver and I don't give a f**k what you do. LOVE and Forty...oh good lord how much more screwed up can they be?

I have two more episodes to see and still am not sure what the 'plot twist' is, if I have seen it, it wasn't obvious to me.
The Stranger
Feb 2, 2020 1:37pm
Currently blowing up on Netflix is The Stranger.

The premise is as followed:

While attending a soccer event with his young son, Adam Price is approached by a woman who tells him that his wife faked her pregnancy two years prior. Adam is naturally stunned and begins to poke around for further facts.

To his horror, the information the stranger providers is true and when Adam confront his wife, she tells him that "there is more to this."

Then his wife tell him via text that maybe they need to spend some time apart and disappears.

Their fallout collides with a series of outside events that bring a series of strangers together through the stranger. The series of strangers are a sweets bakery owner, her bestie~a cop, a group of teenagers committing a few crimes, and employees and trustees of the local soccer (football, cuz it's a British show) kids club.

In the 8 episode series dark secrets come to light and lives become unhinged, as plot twists after plot twists turn and turn. No one's hands are clean in this series of dark secrets.

Having provided the premise, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for the good story line. Everyone has secrets, many of which I called before they were revealed. But still, a good story line.
One Kitty Paw for the shocking ending. That was one thing I didn't see that coming. I mean, I already knew what happened and not to give anything away, I just didn't think Adam would . . . do that.
One Kitty Paw for the final plot twist. Really didn't see that coming, especially from the person involved . . . but when you break someone's heart, revenge is an option not matter who they are.

While not exactly suspenseful, your liking for Adam and the truth does keep you interested enough to continue. Like I said before, I figured some people's secrets out long before their reveal. But I do watch a lot of mysteries and there are only so many types of secrets people are willing to fight, die and well, kill for.

My only hang up, and I don't want to take any Kitty Paws away for it, is that there are some unresolved issues. Corrine, Adam's wife, got into so many people's lives that Adam did not know about and probably had a few more secrets of her own. Part of the reason why I don't want to take a Kitty Paw is A) the wrap of Season 1 is fine and B) per some articles, there will be a Season 2 and part of Season 2 will address these missing pieces. Well, reportedly.

Anyhooo, at 3 Kitty Paws, I do recommend The Stranger.
Who will win the war?
Feb 3, 2020 6:53am
Find out this season on Survivor: Winners at War, featuring all winners from past seasons! And of course, to go along with that, you can participate in the Survivor pool for a little added fun! All info is on the tracker, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Not a Survivor fan? You are still welcome to participate and make your picks. ;)

TG
Fantasy Island
Feb 15, 2020 8:41am
Thread
This post is '''really''' after the show ends.

This morning I found out about a new "Fantasy Island" movie. I watched several trailers and a movie review. (Warning: Two f***ing and a h*** in the review.) Just from the trailer, I'm '''very''' glad that I didn't go watch it.

The original series was upbeat, but had some darker episodes in the later of its 7 seasons. The revived series lasted only one season but was darker than the original. This movie went '''really''' dark, horror movie dark, as much as you can with PG-13.
Re: Fantasy Island
Reply to: #983487 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 15, 2020 1:46pm
Thread
I found the entire Fantasy Island (1998) series on YouTube. I have been binge watching it since I posted the first message this morning.

In episode 7, "Dreams", is this line: "I told you not to eat off of these plates! They are part of the Ricardo Montalbán collection." Nice way to sneak in another reference to the original.
Unbelievable
Mar 22, 2020 9:10am
Thread
Currently on Netflix is Unbelievable.

The 8 episode, approx. 50 minutes each, series is as followed:

Based on factual events, it begins with a sexual assault of young teenager struggling to get her life together after years of child abuse and being in "the foster care system".

As police begin their "investigation", there is supposedly little physical evidence and unfortunately, the victim's past behaviors and different versions of the event completely discredit her.

Then in a few states away, another woman is victimized. The responding woman detective, who is driven by a her own rookie mistake, believes that there is something more to this one assault. Thanks to her husband, she gets connected with a detective from his own department and the two women begin to painfully piece together a serial rapist case.

Fair warning, this series hits the ground running. In other words, within the first 10 minutes, you have gone through the first assault. As for the assaults themselves, in my opinion, they are not horribly graphic in nature but extremely uncomfortable. I want to say I fast-forwarded the first victim's. I am not interested in that sort of thing. I only need the gist in such situations.

And interestingly enough, you don't see any nudity of the victims, but you will of the rapist. Like totally full frontal which I found to be a striking reverse of the norm. We don't normally see male nudity. It's usually women. But in the case, it's the reserve and yes, I do think that was extremely intentional and extremely symbolic.

Having provided the premise and fair warnings, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for the absolute power Kaitlyn Dever brings to her role as Marie Adler. Just wow.
One Kitty Paw for the Merrit Wever's deliverance of Det. Karen Duvall. The scene where she is interviewing the college rapist alone was phenomenal. She nailed it.
One Kitty Paw for this entire series being packed with a lot emotion, a lot of sadness and a lot of hope.
A Half of a Kitty Paw for Toni Collette. She has come a long way from Muriel's Wedding, but that bar scene. I sincerely hope they did that in one take.
A Half of Kitty Paw for the remaining supportive cast. Everyone did a sensational job. Some people you want to slap. Others you want to scream at. And some, you want to hug.

So, at 4 Kitty Paws, I do highly recommend Unbelievable. Again, there are some spots that are hard to get through, but the pay off is totally worth it.
Re: Unbelievable
Reply to: #984706 by Captain Slick Kitty
Mar 23, 2020 6:27am
Thread
Thank you CSK. I read the book and was horrified. I was hesitant to watch fearing any sensationalism would be equally horrifying. Streaming tonight!
Re: Unbelievable
Reply to: #984706 by Captain Slick Kitty
Mar 25, 2020 2:45pm
Thread
I remember seeing Muriel's Wedding. Toni was odd at places but I really liked her character by the end.

I have loved her in many things but Sixth Sense, wow. That scene at the end in the car makes me cry everytime.

KuKu
Psychic Kids Returns! 10 years later!
Mar 26, 2020 1:35pm
Ten years ago there was a show called Psychic Kids. The premise of the show was to pair two kids of roughly the same age to help work their psychic abilities. They would give the kids tasks to help them focus and learn how to use their gifts and to set boundaries with scary entities. I used to watch this show with my mom and we loved it!

Now A&E has rebooted this show, using the kids featured on the original show, now adults, to mentor and tutor a new generation of children going through the same thing. Having binged watched the entire first season, I seriously hoping for a second season, or 5th season depending on who is counting, lol. I truly enjoyed it.

The premise of this reboot is slightly different. Instead of have the kids come to a retreat, the mentors actually go the children’s home and mentor them there.
Personally, I liked having the kids meet another psychic kid to help them understand that they are not alone but no one asked me about this reboot.

Either way, if you remember this show, then I recommend this reboot. No Kitty Paws.

I would have liked to have watched the original show first and then the reboot but I did not know the original show is actually available. It is through Amazon Prime. But the reboot is through HULU.

csk
Social Distancing
Mar 27, 2020 6:16pm
Thread
I am just now watching "MacGyver", the new series. They are out at a restaurant, definitely NOT practicing social distancing.

I know that this script was probably written at least six months ago, and the episode itself was filmed at least three months ago. I don't blame any show at this point for not reflecting the current situation.

My question is, when do you think television shows (the scripted type) will start reflecting the current situation? I'm thinking that it will be the situation comedies that will be first because they have a shorter post-production. Also, sitcoms will be best positioned to put this situation into their format.

What do you think?
Re: Social Distancing
Reply to: #984965 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 27, 2020 9:44pm
Thread
I was watching Bull last week and before the show he came on and more or less apologized for the episode which I think he said, in effect, was not unlike the world situation we have going on but had been written and filmed months ago and not meant to upset anyone.
Mar 27, 2020 10:14pm
Thread
when do you think television shows (the scripted type) will start reflecting the current situation?

I've been thinking about this too. I really miss live sports, and could get by on 15 minutes a day of Covid 19 news. Regarding current programming, I suspect next to nothing is currently being produced. I know the filming of Survivor has been suspended.

So I don't think TV will reflect the impact of this pandemic until after the fact of this lockdown. Does Utah have a stay-at-home order? For over 65 Californians, it's been 2 weeks and I don't see this ending anytime soon. If I continue, this will get political.

We are lucky for so many other option. Self isolate can be in a park, hiking, letterboxing. We have carving, DVDs, Netflix, and God forbid, books. Anyway, that's how I see it.

Be safe, Old Blue
Reply to: #984969 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Mar 27, 2020 10:41pm
Thread
Does Utah have a stay-at-home order?

Just today the governor issued a stay at home directive. It is a minimum for the state, and other local governments may make stricter rules. It is basically what you would expect, but it doesn't prohibit going outside to the places where letterboxes might be, as long as you keep your distance.
Mar 27, 2020 10:50pm
Thread
Now that you mention it, there were some location signs up last week as I was driving around. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. Certainly no live audience shows are filming.
Reply to: #984969 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Mar 28, 2020 3:54am
Thread
Yeah I agree about getting political. We are in a tough spot, and I feel like the Nation is coming together to fight this Corona thing, but that politically we are divided into two camps; diehard followers and the cantstandem's.
Anyway, stay safe everyone and reading actual books is a very relaxing and fun pastime. Although, the youngsters have social media and their phones to pass the time lol.
Stay healthy y'all

Stumpy
MacGyver: Passages
Mar 28, 2020 10:24am
Stargate: SG-1 is not the first time that Richard Dean Anderson met Anubis.
Reply to: #984970 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 29, 2020 8:10am
Thread
DoubleSaj and Old Blue wrote:

Does Utah have a stay-at-home order?

While Utah's governor made a directive, the Salt Lake City mayor made it mandatory.

If residents of Salt Lake City violate Gov. Gary Herbert’s new “Stay Home, Stay Safe” directive, which went into effect Friday, they could be charged with a class B misdemeanor, fined up to $1,000 and spend up to six months in jail.

In jail you will not be allowed to social distance.

The state’s directive still allows Utahns to enjoy outdoor recreation and grocery shop so long as social distancing measures are practiced.

“You can still go outside, exercise at parks, hike on trails and go to grocery stores,” Mendenhall said. “Many of the businesses that we rely on every day will still be accessible.”

At least we can still letterbox.

Mendenhall also reiterated that, although her directive carries the weight of law, the city is "not out to charge you criminally if you violate this Proclamation – we just want you to comply, be safe, and keep other residents safe."

As part of the measure, the Salt Lake City International Airport will close to any passengers without a ticket. Individuals picking up or dropping off passengers must remain in their cars.

Recreational activities that promote social distancing are allowed in the parks, the measure states.

The mayor’s proclamation also limits the sale of cemetery plots to those who need to bury someone during the time the proclamation is in effect.

Well, at least we're legally permitted to die.

Summit County, which issued a stay-at-home order on Wednesday, and Salt Lake County have been hit the hardest by the virus with 221 of the state’s 480 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Salt Lake County and 110 in Summit County.

So far, two Utahns have died of the disease.

Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson said she supports the directive but asked Herbert to take stricter steps if necessary.

So, this is a summary of what is going on here. I hear that New York City and surrounding areas are the worst areas in this country. I hope that everyone everywhere is staying safe.
Reply to: #985029 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 29, 2020 8:55am
Thread
I live in Westchester County, the area just north of NYC. Despite what you may have "heard", the "surrounding areas" cannot be compared to the situation in NYC.

New Rochelle, which was where a cluster of cases was first discovered has through social isolation and testing actually flattened the curve in positive cases. And the lawyer who was first reported and seems to have been at the center of the cluster is recovering.

Information online.....

Out of the over 52,000 cases in the state, nearly 30,000 of them are in NYC, the more congested area. Westchester county is highly populated but in many small towns, villages, and hamlets where it is fairly easy for people to isolate. Almost everyone drives instead of taking congested public transportation.

As of two days ago, according to what I'm seeing online there have been 10 deaths in Westchester County in a population of over 900,000.

I have not looked up info on counties just north of us or Connecticut.

Well, at least we're legally permitted to die.

While many of the measures being taken may to some seem drastic and severe I feel these are what needs to be done and the American people need to respond to them in a responsible way.

According to the medical experts being interviewed this is not something that is going to magically go away in the coming weeks or months and will grow worse if people do not heed the warnings. It may even seem to "disappear" this summer and then come back in the fall.

I feel the measures in states in like Utah where there have been "only" two deaths (horrible word to use) have to be taken :::before::: the numbers rise, not after the fact. Do it now to stop the spread. That is the whole point, instead of waiting until after the fact.
Reply to: #985031 by MissMoon
Mar 29, 2020 9:44am
Thread
While many of the measures being taken may to some seem drastic and severe I feel these are what needs to be done and the American people need to respond to them in a responsible way.

It has reappeared in Wuhan, China in people who have recovered from it before. It can reinfect, so we do need to take this seriously.

Do it now to stop the spread. That is the whole point, instead of waiting until after the fact.

Agreed.
Reply to: #985035 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 29, 2020 9:31pm
Thread
It has reappeared in Wuhan, China in people who have recovered from it before. It can reinfect, so we do need to take this seriously.

I've heard exactly the opposite, do you have sources?

Old Blue
Reply to: #985055 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Mar 29, 2020 9:49pm
Thread
I've heard exactly the opposite, Do you has sources?

Coronavirus reappears in discharged patients: Some are saying this is testing discrepancies.
Reply to: #985056 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 30, 2020 11:21am
Thread
Thanks, O_K, yet another issue with this virus. I've read elsewhere that the virus continues to shed after recovery. There seems to be a question as to whether this shedding is intense enough to spread the virus. It makes me concerned about how completely the 2-week self isolation precaution has been accepted. All things considered, it seems like 3 or 4 weeks may be necessary. I'd love to see actual data rather than opinions and conclusions.

The real problem is not enough data, too soon to know.

Old Blue