A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Television: After the Show Ends

Re: YOU
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #974186 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 15, 2019 12:10pm
Thread
It really makes you think about all the information that you share online and how easy it would be for someone to use that information against you

For instance, after spending several hours digging deep into Social Media and the Dark Web, using my keen intellect and skills in interpreting massive amounts of information, I have gleaned that you, Amanda... ARE FROM SEATTLE!
Last call - The Amazing Race pool - race starts April 17!!!
Reply to: #974027 by KO
Apr 16, 2019 6:41pm
Thread
For anyone interested in joining the Amazing Race pool, you must be signed up & have your team picks to me in less than 24 hours.

Project Runway season 17
May 6, 2019 6:32pm
I'm behind on watching the new season so I just saw the one where they went camping. Did anyone catch where that was, and has anyone planted a PR box there in commemoration?

-- Princess Lea
Amazing Race Location
May 6, 2019 11:09pm
Just in case anyone is curious, the Museum of Alternative Medicine in Saigon on the most recent episode of the show has a letterbox inside as well.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=212103
The Cool Kids
May 8, 2019 2:04pm
As everyone knows cable is rather expensive in my area, so I only keep to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. But with a recent visit to San Fran, I was introduced to a show I probably would not have seen otherwise. Starring the comedy legend, Vicki Lawrence, it’s called the The Cool Kids. Perhaps you have heard of it???

Anyhoo ….. set in Shady Meadows, a retirement community in Arizona, it opens up with three men sitting around the table, having just lost their fourth member due to death and in plops Vicki Lawrence. Her presences upsets the men, more in particularly Hank, old man gruff, played by David Allen Grier. Also at the table is Sid (Sidney) who is a gay single man and Charles, a hoarder, who is also single.

Now you may not think a tv show about old people in a retirement home is funny, but this show proves why it is. Between Vicki Lawrence’s zingers and Sid’s flair, it’s hard to keep a straight face. And while I have not seen all the episodes, my favorite is Margaret is Dating the Zodiac Killer. I almost choked on my drink.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Vicki Lawrence. She looks very good for 69 but more importantly, she still have the comedy tempo.
One Kitty Paw for Leslie Jordan, aka Sidney. He’s got some flair and some good snaps.
One Kitty Paw for the David Allen Grier and Martian Mull. (Hank and Charles.)
One Kitty Paw for the stories. The Zodiac, the Thanksgiving to mention a few
One Kitty for the nice rapport between the four main characters. Their connection with each other seems genuine.

Also of note. If you are a fan of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, you will be happy to know that Charlie, played by Charlie Day, created this show.

It is currently on Fox and Fox has not decided whether it will renew it for a second season.

So, ignore the old-foggie stereotypes and check out The Cool Kids. Who knows. Maybe you can relate.

csk
Pobody's Nerfect
May 10, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
For those who enjoy "The Good Place", I discovered this video titled "Pobody's Nerfect". I hope you enjoy.
Re: Pobody's Nerfect
Reply to: #975114 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 13, 2019 12:23pm
Thread
Has the Good Place been canceled??
Reply to: #975196 by Raven
May 13, 2019 3:42pm
Thread
No, in fact, it was just renewed for next season
Reply to: #975200 by Jaxx
May 13, 2019 5:08pm
Thread
Oh good, I forking love that show!
Imposters~ Season 1
May 28, 2019 10:37am
Thread
This show did not catch my attention, but our foreign exchange student's. He asked to watch it and since he normally settles for our shows, I figured fair is fair.

Imposters opens with a newly married couple enjoying the beginning days of their marital bliss, a Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Bloom. Mr. Bloom works for his family's shoe company and Mrs. Bloom is just a starry-eyed French speaking Belgium. On their 28th day married anniversary, Ezra buying another wonderful gift for the love of his life learns that his credit cards no longer work. He then hurries to the ATM and learns that his bank account has be depleted. He of course hurries home and finds written on the refrigerator door a website, which he types in and finds a video of his beloved "Ava" telling him that he has been scammed and not to try and find her because of what is in the folder in the freezer. (Hint: his family's dirty little secret.)

Our Ezra, played by Rob Heaps, then falls into a deep despair. He watches their wedding video to the point of obsession but notices something odd about two people who "should not know each other". Yet, despite this, Ezra, with his broken heart, decides to end it all. On this very faithful day, a man claiming to be with the "Federal Burrow of Investigations" barges in and demands to know where Ezra's wife is.

The two go to blows only to learn that the Agent really isn't with "the Burrow" after all. Turns out, our "Agent" was "Ava's" previous victim before our Ezra. Only she was known as "Alice" to him. Soooooo Ezra and "agent" Richard decide to find their wife together and set out to confront her.

On the opposite end of the show is "Ava, Alice, Cece, Saffron" and she is on to her next con, a banker in Seattle.

Being honest, after a few episodes of seeing all of these people fall immediately in love with her and showering with all this gooey-gaga love and ridiculous gifts, (And being more honest, I didn't think the actress was that hot) I was totally about head to my room, thus ending my relationship with this show . . . until a plot twist happens.

Now prior to the plot twist, I was hanging on because no matter how much you may or may not dislike "Ava, Alice, Cece, Safforn", you can't help but be endured to Erza/Richard team/sitch that is pursing her. They could not be more opposites and as they figure things out, they become more enjoyable. They kinda become the heart of the show. I don't want to reveal too much.

And when Season 1 ended I applauded the ending. I was glad it ended the way it.

But . . . . this show definitely not without some flaws.

Let's discuss.

First and foremost: Uma Thurman. OMG. What a mess. Seriously here folks. Starting from the top, her hair is a natural disaster. I found it to be very distracting just looking at her.

Followed closely by her attire. She seriously looked to me like she was Vance's and Jules' (from Pulp Fiction) third rejected partner. Seriously. I don't know who thought her clothes and her portrayal was good idea, but they were wrong. Yeah, I said it.

And then her acting. OMG. Over the top. Too much. This was not your best role, honey. It should have gone to someone else. Thankfully we only see her briefly in like 3 episodes. But still. Augh. Shaking my head because I have no doubt she is in Season 2, which I have not watched.

Okay, second issue. Plot writing/Plot holes and the FBI. I am okay with the good/bad guys pulling one over on the Feds or the CIA or the whoever. A great con, executed perfectly, is always fun to see. But what I don't like is if shows make it look like these agencies don't have the stuff together when in fact they should have their stuff together. More directly, it really irritated me that the FBI knew all about Ezra's law breaking activities across America and knew who he was but were clueless to the fact that he was "Ava, Alice, Cece, Saffron's" victim. I was like really????? You know who she is but you don't know her victims?????? Ummmmmm. Is this poor plot writing???

Also, another issue I had was the failure to maintain simple details. Prime example: the dog Ezra was going to buy Ava is a girl but later it's a boy. Sooooo, the show is not very good at staying consistent with it's own details either. ANNOYING!

Not a huge fan of poor plot writing or failure to maintain consistent details.

Having provided the premise and my complaints, on to my Kitty Paws:

Two Kitty Paws for "the Bumblers". This is the term "Ava, Alice, Cece and Saffron's" team calls them. Again they are fun to watch and like I said, they become the heart of the show.
One Kitty Paw for the ending. I am glad it ended the way it did. You see the Bumblers grow and change and I think had one more person jumped on the bus, it would have been a crappy ending and I would have been disappointed.
One Kitty Paw for the rest of the cast, minus Uma. Despite not caring for "Ava, Alice, Cece, Saffron" character, the actresses herself, and her team of cons Max and Sally, they all do a good job.
One Half Kitty Paw for the G-rated adult related scenes. This is all adult cast, and it includes all sorts of adults and all sorts of activities.

But I have to take away One Kitty Paw for my complaints. I think they are legit, so they count.

This leaves this show with 3.5 Kitty Paws, which is kinda low but they also comes with an enthusiastic recommendation.
Re: Imposters~ Season 1
Reply to: #975582 by Captain Slick Kitty
May 28, 2019 1:48pm
Thread
Season 2 is way funnier and yes, Uma Thurman is still around and in full force. There are several exceptionally shocking moments. I am bummed they didn't renew it for another season.
Re: Imposters~ Season 1
Reply to: #975594 by thndrkttn
May 28, 2019 2:05pm
Thread
Richard Dean Anderson's Roles
Jun 8, 2019 6:19pm
Thread
Today I was watching MacGyver's episode "Eye of Osiris". They ended up trapped in the tomb of Anubis, a name Richard Dean Anderson would later encounter in Stargate SG-1.

Nothing of any consequence, except for the Anubis connection.
Re: Richard Dean Anderson's Roles
Reply to: #976093 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 9, 2019 9:51am
Thread
Well I'm always here to read about Richard Dean Anderson ;)
Re: Richard Dean Anderson's Roles
Reply to: #976093 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 9, 2019 10:52am
Thread
Loved that episode of MacGyver. My daughter bought the whole series on DVD. I never got into Stargate but my husband watched it.
Exhibit A
Jul 2, 2019 12:11am
Currently playing on Netflix, as an Netflix Original is Exhibit A.

Set in documentary style, each episode showcases how forensics and it's misuse can derail people's life, in the name of justice. The first episode discusses how video evidence is a prime example of this. The second is about blood splatters and the third is about cadaver dogs. There is a fourth episode but I have not watched it yet.

And it is very interesting but very sad. And hard to watch if you have a sense of justice in you.

Trust me, I can go on and on about each of these episodes and how upsetting they are. My guess is after showcasing the Making A Murder and showing how if the police tagged you for someone's murder, they will do anything, to prove it, is the point of this. But the sad truth is, this actually happens. Central Park 5 to reflect one of the most recent horrible injustices. I don't normally watch these shows, as they are upsetting, but what kills me in episode three, the police even ignore one of their own as a witness and that just slays me.

I am not going rate this show but if you are interested in these types of documentaries and are curious, I do highly recommend it.

csk
Stranger Things Season 3~ with spoilers
Jul 9, 2019 10:55pm
Thread
I just finished the 8 episode season 3 and I probably should not be writing this review right now. I am very upset. I am very emotional . . . . but I am very hopeful.

But let's take a step back.

Season 3 . . .

Season 3 begins with summer love for the tweens and new jobs for the newly graduated Nancy, Steve and Jonathon. Nancy and Jonathon take jobs at the local newspaper and Steve takes a job "slinging" ice cream at newly built mall, that destroys downtown Main St. Hawkins.

While being harassed (talk about the 80's version of #Metoo) Nancy does her best to get recognized as a reporter. Jonathan, ever the pacifist, stands by because he has cushy job as the newspaper's photographer. In short, he is no real help. In fact there is little impressive about Jonathon in Season 3 but I suspect . . . suspect his personal life dramas (i.e. drugs and being refused back into the US) has something to do with it. So, he's there but he's not a strong presence. And the actor himself actually doesn't look well anyways. Eitherway, this duo get on a trail of strange occurrences that they can't explain . . . yet.

Meanwhile, back at the mall, Steve is "slinging" ice cream with new character named Robin. Now, Robin is cool. She is reliable. And she never wavers from her devotion to Steve and the horrors that they face together. You will like Robin.

But more importantly Steve's relationship to the young guys is just as strong as it ever was, especially with my fav tween, Dustin. I really love the relationship between these two. But Steve, the guy with no real attachment to El comes out swinging, literally, at times and plays a pivotal role in this season. If you don't come out loving Steve "the hair" Harrington after all the brutal punches he takes, I have no words for you.

And it's Steve, Dustin and Robin who discover there is a terrible secret below their feet.

Now on to the adults . . . Joyce and Hopper. I love Hopper. But Hopper has a teenage daughter spending her days smooching with Mike despite the 3 inches open door. And Joyce has calmed down in Season 2 but **** spoiler ****she is still reeling from the lost of her love Bob. But she and Hopper still have connection and this time it's Joyce who brings it to Hopper's attention that something is very wrong in Hawkins.

Season 3 is slow to start but once things start going, they start going. And for things to get going, we gotta talk "villains".

In Season 2, we met Billy. Billy the brutal @$$hole. No one likes Billy and no one still likes Billy . . . except the bored housewives of Hawkins. In Season 3, Billy himself has a job, a life guard at the local pool. This plays into several important moments of this season and one I would call "yeah, eww that was not good" moment. *** Spoiler *** The Karen and Billy moment. Augh.

Moving on, we are also introduced to the Mind Flayer, the vile politician who sold Hawkins, USA out, and Russians. Funny how those words seems to be popping up, a vile politician who sold his own country out to the Russians. But facts are facts here folks.

Having provided the premise, on to my Kitty Paws

Two Kitty Paws for the relationship between the tween and the young adults. They never waver from each other, they trust each other and more importantly they hold together as a family.
Two Kitty Paw for the three diverse plots that eventually come together.
One Kitty Paw for the new characters. Loved Robin. Loved Alexi. Even liked Erica, which "you can't spell America without Erica" at most times.
One Kitty Paw for my MAN Harrington. His evalution from teenage jerk to dark horse hero is great! Again, he comes on strong and never lets the group down.
One Kitty Paw for the very weird but worked "Neverending Story" song moment as the world is about to end. You have to see it to understand.
A Half of a Kitty Paw for a much more decent soundtrack than "the soundtrack sucks Season 2!".

But nothing is not without it's flaws . . . and there were a few.
I have to take away A Half of Kitty Paw for the Murray "just do it already" outburst. We already saw this in Season 2. No need to repeat in Season 3.
I have to take away a Kitty Paw for the blatant amount of advertising that went on here. I mean, they even dedicate a whole conversation to COKE! UM, no thanks. Please just do the show.
I have to take away a Kitty Paw for Cary Elwes. I love hottie Cary but he did not pull off the slime ball role he was hired to do. He felt more like a cameo, like "I am Cary, the Dread Pirate Roberts, and I am supposed to be sleazy." He did not work.
I have to take away a Half a Kitty paw for the death at the carnival. Not okay writers and producers.
And for my last complaint, I debate taking Half a Kitty Paw away for the Russian Terminator. I just felt there was too much of him, in particular the fight scene at the old Hawkins lab, a fight which I thought was pointless. Anyhoo, not a fan of this character.

So, final count is between 4 and 4.5 Kitty Paws.

And without a doubt, especially since Season 3 is has been watched by over 40 million viewers, there will be a Season 4.

Now, on to the final moments of the last episode of Season 3. If you have not seen the whole series, I suggest you stop reading now. But as I said earlier, I am upset and I need to have HOPE.

*** spoilers ***

*** spoilers ***

*** spoilers ***

For the last 3 years I have watched this show. Clearly I am vested.... which means I am pretty upset about what happens at the end. But I have hope, yes, hope. And here is why:

1. 1, the obvious reason, the final scene in the Russian prison the Russian guard says "no, not the American"

and

1. 2 which is more revealing I think . . . I am referring to the song played while EL is reading Hopper's letter. I have very good music/song recall and that very song was playing when they "found" Will's body in the water in Season 1 and we all know it turned out to be a decoy.

Augh. Hopper can't be dead. He just caint.

Signing off with a deep, sad sigh,

csk
Re: Stranger Things Season 3~ with spoilers
Reply to: #977136 by Captain Slick Kitty
Jul 10, 2019 2:36am
Thread
totally following but I've only watched 3 episodes of season three..... I'd love to binge watch but I just don't have time right now!!!! :( I am loving what I have seen so far! The character and plot development is so good!!! And I am a child of the 80s so I get all the references!
Re: Stranger Things Season 3~ with spoilers
Reply to: #977139 by gemini girl
Jul 10, 2019 6:52am
Thread
Is there a recap to watch first to remind me what went down in season two?
Gettysburg (The Outer Limits)
Jul 19, 2019 3:03pm
Thread
Yesterday on the Comet network, they showed "Gettysburg", an episode of The Outer Limits. This is an episode originally aired 28 July 2000.

The reason that I bring it up is that it shows the President of the United States in 2013 is a black man. He could not be mistaken for Barack Obama, but the end result did not (and should not) happen in any timeline anyway.

For those who have seen this episode before Alex Diakun has played a similar role in other episodes of this run of The Outer Limits.
Re: Gettysburg (The Outer Limits)
Reply to: #977478 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 20, 2019 8:18am
Thread
I saw the episode as well. I thought it was a good storyline. I really likedthe president's speech at the end. I wish people would discuss things in such a way these days. I've noticed not many Outer Limits episodes have a happy ending. Same as Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt.
Typewriter
Jul 30, 2019 10:48pm
Thread
One of Netflix's recently released and rising in popularity is Typewriter...

Set in India, the premise is as followed:

Young Sam and her buddies are novice ghost hunters, skipping (bunking) school and always drumming up operations to execute. So, one day, while bunking school, they see that the Bardez Villa, a place of bad ju-ju and unsolved mysteries, is being moved into. What unfolds next is a tale of magic, ghosts (even thought there are no ghosts in India!), and very bad spirits wanting to rule the world.

Typewriter has five 45 minute episodes and the director was good enough to always leave each episode with either a shocker or a cliffhanger.

If you Google this show, you will see that it's being compared to Stranger Things and The Haunting of Hill House. I can assure you, it's no Stranger Things and it's no Haunting of Hill House. However, it definitely stands on it's own.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:

One Kitty Paw for it's devoted and lovable cast. My favorite character was Chief of Police Ravi Anand.
One Kitty Paw for a few decent startles and each episode ending with either a shocker or a cliffhanger, including the final episode. You know that a second "season" is possible.
One Kitty Paw for it's light humor. If you are into sarcastic humor, you will appreciate their sense of humor.

A few things to know however.

My darling husband sometimes has a hard time hearing, so we usually have the captions on. The issue with this is, even though their dubbed English is good, what you hear them say is not always what is captioned. So, for my husband, it was a bit frustrating. So, plan accordingly.

Also, there is swearing in this, as in the f word. (lol) But no adult related scenes, though, a few adult related conversations around/with Peter.

I know I mentioned it was being compared to Stranger Things and Hill House. Okay, yes it has a creepy, massive house. And yes, it has a lovable Chief of Police. But it is nothing like these shows, so if you go in with these expectations, you will be disappointed.

Lastly, remember that even though it's Netflix and they speak English, I am certain that it's original targeted audience was Indians from India as it written, produced and directed by Indians. My point in mentioning this, as a foreign TV show, it, at times, comes across a little campy.

So, at 3 Kitty Paws I do recommend it. I would not say it's "a must see" but I would say, I enjoyed it and maybe you would too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyNUPvEF5M

csk
Re: Typewriter
Reply to: #977879 by Captain Slick Kitty
Jul 31, 2019 4:34am
Thread
Yay!!!! The kitty paws are back!!
Re: Typewriter
Reply to: #977879 by Captain Slick Kitty
Jul 31, 2019 10:03am
Thread
Also, there is swearing in this, as in the f word. (lol) But no adult related scenes, though, a few adult related conversations around/with Peter.

Thanks for including this in your review. I appreciate being forewarned.
Untouchable~ The Harvey Weinstein Documentary on HULU
Sep 3, 2019 9:05pm
Thread
Untouchable is a documentary regarding Harvey Weinstein and his victims. It opens with a victim sharing her story and her pain is palpable. It goes on, with other victims speaking about their assaults and their personal turmoil afterwards.
It goes on to interview the journalists who worked to break the truth regarding Weinstein's abuse, especially the one who was trying his best to get the victims' stories told.

And it ends with how Weinstein's arrest triggers the METOO# movement.
I have never been a victim of sexual assault and I absolutely can not imagine the level of bravery these women had who spoke out. And being honest, the journalist who did not want to let those who opened up and shared their stories down, is pretty amazing too.

Overall, this documentary is moving, hard to watch, and emotional.

During this documentary, they showed clips of famous celebrating publicly thanking Harvey over and over again on national TV for helping them and for winning the Oscars, etc. and I sat there feeling sick. It was the same sick feeling I had when victim after victim came out about Bill Cosby. I will never know the horror of being Cosby's victim and seeing all the accolades and national praises and hoopla about Bill Cosby and "Being American's Favorite Father" and knowing the truth about the kind of monster he really was.

But I have to be honest, I struggled with a few interviewees. One was an employee of Weinstein, claiming that she did not know anything about assaults. It was obvious by the fact that they showed her closing remarks regarding the MEETOO# movement that perhaps they believed her. I was disgusted. Famous people said things, as the documentary reveals, and staff saw things and heard things . . . so I was pretty disgusted with this person.

Another shocking conclusion was that Bob Weinstein, Harvey's brother, denied knowing anything about these assaults, despite having his attorneys pay out for at least 8 lawsuits against them on the premise of these assaults.

Normally I would do Kitty Paws, but with the topic of this documentary being assault, I don't really feel comfortable doing so.

So, I will reiterated what I said previously. This documentary is moving, hard to watch, and emotional.

But in a strange way, it gave me hope. Hope because not only were the victims willing to come forward but the journalists were willing fight to get the truth out, at personal costs.

Harvey's arrest and his firing is a huge victory against a entrenched institution of assault against women and people looking the other way but it's not over. Nope. Not even close. But it is a good beginning.

Here is the link for the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-1fKna9l38

csk
Re: Untouchable~ The Harvey Weinstein Documentary on HULU
Reply to: #979143 by Captain Slick Kitty
Sep 4, 2019 4:46am
Thread
Thanks for reviewing this. Yesterday I read about a 15 year old girl in an Islamic Nation that was sentenced to 100 lashings plus 8 months in prison. Her crime? Getting raped by her stepfather. I read further, this is a common punishment for women who report getting raped in some Islamic nations. I don't understand how some people can do the things they do.
Reply to: #979143 by Captain Slick Kitty
Sep 5, 2019 2:21pm
Thread
I've been thinking for a while that I should get HULU.

Now, I think I must.

KuKu
Reply to: #979182 by KuKu
Sep 5, 2019 9:12pm
Thread
If you do, I highly recommend Superstore and A.P. Bio.

If ghosts and hauntings are your thing A Haunting is always fun to watch.

If you are into some 80s shows, then I highly recommend Golden Girls....

csk
It's time for season 39!
Sep 9, 2019 9:23am
Thread
It's almost time for another season of Survivor, which means it's also time for another Survivor pool! All the info is on the tracker. Basically, you just need to send me 5 Survivors that you want to put into play, plus 2 backups in case one of your 5 gets voted off.

Picks are due to me 2 weeks from today. Please feel free to ask questions.

TG
Re: It's time for season 39!
Reply to: #979305 by Trekkie Gal
Sep 9, 2019 10:42am
Thread
Please feel free to ask questions.

Is a hotdog a sandwich?