A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Television: After the Show Ends

Re: "Manifest" and Weeping Angel
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #970671 by cooledcoyote
Jan 26, 2019 10:38am
Thread
So this hiker falls into a cave (after a letterbox?) and comes out a year later?

And? What's the punch line?
I know, this is what happened in the episode of "Manifest"; it doesn't have a punch line. But, the way you told it certainly sounds like the setup for a joke. I think that they're setting this series up to be another "LOST", but with more people (because they're in the world but not of the world).
The Edge of Extinction
Feb 7, 2019 6:11pm
Sounds intriguing, right? That's the theme for the next Survivor season. And when there's a new Survivor season, there's a new Survivor pool! All the info is on the tracker. No stamp carving is necessary, and everyone is welcome to join!

TG
Explorers
Feb 9, 2019 11:42am
Thread
I'm watching "Explorers" on TV right now. I thought it was interesting that they attend Charles M. Jones Junior High School. The name sounded familiar, so I looked it up and it is named after the famous animator.

Just an interesting bit I noticed.
Re: Explorers
Reply to: #971256 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 9, 2019 2:21pm
Thread
I was too.
Never seen the whole thing before.
Fun movie.
Reply to: #971261 by Grrly Girl
Feb 9, 2019 4:22pm
Thread
Fun movie.

I've seen it before. I wasn't sure until I saw the aliens. It was a fun movie, again.

I also watch "Flight of the Navigator" when I get the opportunity. It is a fun kid/space-flight movie with the advantage of time travel. Disney is going to remake it though. Most remakes aren't as good as the original though. I hope that this remake is an exception.
Reply to: #971264 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 10, 2019 1:19am
Thread
Remakes usually sacrifice story for visual effects.
A good story holds up. Visuals become dated.
Game of Thrones Season 8 Game
Feb 14, 2019 5:35pm
Most of us have probably seen the game someone posted this week. I took it and changed/clarified the rules a little bit if you are interested in playing.

https://tinyurl.com/y64z9g75
The Umbrella Academy
Feb 25, 2019 5:52pm
Thread
Currently blowing up on Netflix is the The Umbrella Academy. I am four episodes in this ten episode season and the premise is as followed:

On the 12 hour of October 12th, 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth," The Umbrella Academy trailer explains. Even more bizarre, none of these new mothers had been pregnant when the day started.

An eccentric billionaire seeks out all 43 babies and buys 7 of them for his Umbrella Academy.

In the first episode you learn many things that occur between that time and current day, as the episodes tend to shuffle back and forth thru time.

But for episode one, they primarily focus this disjointed, broken family coming together as their "father" has died. Number One a.k.a. Luther believes that their father has been murdered while the other's are not convinced.

As the family begins to deal with the death of their patriarch, their missing brother, Number Five of 17 years suddenly reappears and tells them that he has seen the future and that in 8 days human race will be destroyed. Not believing him, everyone set out to deal with life post the academy, while Number Five tries to figure out how the world gets destroyed.

As he is dealing with his mission, in come a curious villainous duo; contract killers sent to kill Number Five for a "broken contract". But this seems dubious because again, the kid has been missing for 17 years. So.... the story continues.

There are some stand out performances here. My favorite is Number 4 a.k.a. Klaus. He is a drug addict dealing with his powers of talking to dead people. His father did not nurture his powers well and Klaus, the junkie, is doing his best to cope.

As I have said, I have only on episode 4, so my Kitty Paws are based on what I have watched:

One and Half Kitty Paws for Klaus
One Kitty Paw for it's aweome soundtrack
One Kitty Paw for baiting storyline.
One Kitty Paw for it's various characters, even the villains are enjoyable.

I will say, but not to take from the show, I am over Ellen Page's mopey character Vanya. She apparently doesn't have any superpowers, despite being born on that extraordinary day. And whether or not she comes into her super powers, as there is no real hint at this time, I am soooooo over her pouty face.

So, at 4.5 Kitty Paws, I highly recommend the Umbrella Academy.
Re: The Umbrella Academy
Reply to: #972151 by Captain Slick Kitty
Feb 25, 2019 6:30pm
Thread
I concur but I am a few episodes ahead of you. Don’t discount Vanya just yet.

Warrior Woman
knows
Re: The Umbrella Academy
Reply to: #972152 by Warrior Woman
Feb 25, 2019 10:17pm
Thread
I also think there is something major in store for Vanya. By the way, I'm only two episodes in....

Jaxx
Russian Doll
Apr 5, 2019 7:23pm
Thread
Currently blowing up Netflix is Russian Doll. Before I begin my review, I would just like to complain that I really feel Netflix shows/reveals too much in their trailers. I kinda felt like this was the case for the Umbrella Academy and Russian Doll.
Anyhooooo, now that I have vented, on to my review.

Russian Doll opens in the bathroom of Nadia's 34th birthday party. Nadia, played by Natasha Lyonne of Orange is the New Black is staring at herself, seemingly aloof, possibly reflecting on her life, as most people would on a birthday year that they were not looking forward to. She is a video game programmer who has a various assortment of friends, including the ones hosting her party. She is self involved, cynical, reclusive and a bit of loner. And yes, being honest, she is a bit of an @$$hole.

Her party goes on and she decides to go home with a perfect stranger and ends up getting killed by a taxi. And then, she wakes up in the bathroom again, birthday party in full swing and she is left wondering what just happened.

Thanks to the trailer, you see that this loop of dying and waking up in the bathroom continues and then as she is about to die again in an elevator, she turns to man next to her, who is not panicking like everyone else and says "hey, man didn't you hear. We're about to die."

His reply, "It happens to me all the time."

And the plot thickens.

Being honest, this is a bit of dark series. It's not really a comedy. It's not really a drama. And being more honest, I am not sure I understood everything about it. But it's ending kinda had a Midsummer Night Dream feel to it.

And I enjoyed it.

It has curious characters.

And you have to pay attention to detail because time is funky in these loops.
And she does things normal people just won't do.

So it's out there.

Have to warn you though. It has some serious adult-related moments. I am being very serious about this. In fact, anyone who reads my reviews know I hate,hate,hate adult related moments 20 minutes in to any show or movie. It's usually where I click off. This series does have a very shocking (to me) adult related moment about 20 minutes in and I would have clicked it off but I was watching it with the husband so I let it go.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for the interesting story line. It does have some plot holes though.
One Kitty Paw for the relationship between the two main characters.
One Kitty Paw for Natasha Lyonne. She is a bit of an @$$hole but sometimes even @$$holes are likeable.
One Half of A Kitty Paw because I found it to be enjoyable.

So at 3.5 Kitty Paws, I do recommend Russian Doll.
Re: Russian Doll
Reply to: #973850 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 6, 2019 3:55pm
Thread
Have you seen You? I just read the book AND watched the Netflix series, very interesting especially after watching The Ted Bundy Tapes (serial killers-stalkers)

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #973858 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 6, 2019 5:28pm
Thread
My boyfriend and I just finished watching You We both found it incredibly enjoyable. It was hard to stop watching it, and we would recommend it to EVERYONE! We haven't watched Russian Doll yet, so we'll add it to our list of TV shows to watch after we finish Blue Planet II.
Reply to: #973858 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 7, 2019 11:08am
Thread
No. I haven't even seen it advertised.

I am curious about the Zac Efron version of Ted Bundy, though.

csk
Reply to: #973887 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 8, 2019 3:49pm
Thread
Our millennial daughter suggested Russian Doll to me and I liked it from the get-go. I'm rather fascinated with the "Groundhog's Day" loop sort of plot or anything to do with time-travel. I've yet to see one with a 100% closed loop though. . .

RD is harsh, I'll give you that, but the clothing, make-up and other rich and colorful details made it hard for em to stop after 3 episodes (Old Blue didn't like it so I gave him a turn at one he did). I went back for 2 more when it was 'my turn' again :-)

Looking forward to seeing how it all ends--hope it's something other than the waking-from-a-dream scenario. . . .

DoubleSaj
Reply to: #973970 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Apr 8, 2019 5:34pm
Thread
Looking forward to seeing how it all ends--hope it's something other than the waking-from-a-dream scenario. . . .

No worries.

No Bobby Ewing in the shower BS here!

csk
Reply to: #973970 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Apr 8, 2019 8:24pm
Thread
I'm rather fascinated with the "Groundhog's Day" loop sort of plot or anything to do with time-travel. I've yet to see one with a 100% closed loop though. . .

That depends on what you mean by "closed loop". Is that time travel that causes itself? If so, then see the The Time Machine (2002), Predestination, Somewhere in Time, Pointless Time Travel, Supplement, Time Travel: A Love Story, A Stitch in Time.
It is because of the Novikov self-consistency principle.

Or you could mean a time loop where the protagonist doesn't make it out of the loop:
Time Loop, Stealing Time, Iteration 1.

Or you could mean a time loop where trying to change things doesn't really work: Exit Strategy.
Reply to: #973979 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 8, 2019 8:49pm
Thread
That depends on what you mean by "closed loop".

I believe it is the infamous "Post Post Paste" loop, where, following a message post, a seemingly infinite number of obscure references are pasted into a subsequent post.
Reply to: #973980 by wassamatta u
Apr 8, 2019 9:05pm
Thread
In discussions about geek topics, we (various geeks I talk with) will propose that this is a case that is unique. Then the others will come up with counter-examples. I have been on both sides.

That's all I was doing.
Reply to: #973979 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 8, 2019 9:08pm
Thread
Thanks, Oberon, for the list of movies/books to check out!

D-Saj
The Amazing Race 2019 tracker - race starts April 17!!!
Apr 10, 2019 10:49am
Thread
The Amazing Race premiere has been moved up to April 17 - next Wednesday! That's a month earlier than it was supposed to be!

For anyone who's interested in joining the pool, here's the tracker. It's only a week before the show starts so choose your teams and sign-up.

*Send me your team picks via AQ mail, not as a reply to this board post!*

Any questions, just ask.
:)
YOU
Apr 14, 2019 8:18pm
Thread
So as I previously mentioned before, I can not wait to see Zac Efron's Ted Bundy. And since Amanda from Seattle mentioned YOU, a stalker series on Netflix, I figured I would check it out…. to fill the waiting void.

I finished the ten, 1 hour, episode series on Friday.And it's now Sunday as I needed time to think about my review.

I have to give fair warning, there are some spoilers, so please continue at your own caution. But to be fair, a 10 hour tv show vs 2 hr movie is far more in-depth and has way more moving parts; both of which, sometimes, can't be ignored.

YOU opens with a pretty young woman entering a book store and catching the eye of the book store manager. You are immediately given insight to Joe, the book store manager as he begins his narration of his thoughts, assumptions and opinions of the young woman, Guinevere Beck, aka Beck.

They flirt a little and since she asks for a book he reveres, Joe's instantly hooked. And the stalking begins.

In a short amount of time, Joe and the audience learns where she lives and how she is not very good at picking boyfriends. This also includes adult related scenario for all parties involved, unbeknownst to Beck and Benji. Anyhoooooo, the show continues as Joe follows Beck around and learns of her vain, self indulgent, millennial rich friends and how co-dependent Beck is of her bestie Peach. If you can't sense the disgust, trust me, it's there.

Then one night, as Joe has followed Beck to a Poetry bar, his position as back drop stalker shifts as Joe is forced to show himself in order to save Beck's life. In the interaction, Joe steals her cell phone and since it's connected to "The Cloud", even after she buys a new one, he still has access to any immediate information on her stolen phone.

Now, as her savior, Joe can engage and the story of all their lives begin.

Having provided the premise of this series, I want to talk about the characters. I say this because under no circumstance do I care about any of the adults, save for 100% Karen Mint and 30 (yes) -70 % (no) Joe Goldberg.

Wait, what????

Yes. You read that correctly.

So let's begin with Guinevere Beck, aka Beck, aka the "victim". I did not like her. I thought she was an idiot for taking Benji back. And more over, yes! Yes, she was a self-induced mess. She runs around blaming others for mis-managing her own crap and it's always someone's doing why she can't complete simple life stuff. And if that's not enough ….. I am going to use a 90's word here …. she is a major USER of every guy around her. AUGH. She looks sweet. She talks sweet but she basically yo-yo's Joe and his emotions (Not that I am defending a stalker/killer, here folks.) But there is something to be said about the mentality of the person who thinks they can treat anybody like this. Plus, she was a basic idiot regarding Peach.

So, since we are on the topic of manipulators and users, let's talk about PEACH. Rich, Bee-@TCH, Peach. Whereas Beck is manipulates and uses people, she does not do it on a level that doesn’t come from self loathing, and millennial entitlement. Peach on the other hand just sets up everyone around her to be at her beck and call and if any one dares disturbs her precious little ecosystem, she will end you. So, as YOU progresses, you get to see basically stalker vs stalker and how far people are willing to go to manipulate and use others. She is disgusting and frankly, she stayed too late at the party, and she needed to go.

Now let's talk about Joe. Joe. Joe. Joe. Joe is a bad person. Joe is stalker and a bad person. But the creators of the show threw in a BIG, a HUGE, a GINORMOUS wrench with little Paco. Paco is Joe's kid neighbor who stays in the hallway when her mother is doing drugs, or fighting with her abusive boyfriend or other adult related things. And it's in the hallway Joe usually finds Paco. Joe loves and treats Paco so well that in one episode, he gave up his favorite dinner to Paco. Joe also introduces Paco to the wonderful world of books, even "stealing/borrowing" a rare book for Paco. Joe loves Paco and it makes him human to audience. Soooo……. Joe is a bad person but still a good person. It's hard. It's like 30-70, folks. AND to be even more fair, Penn Badgley has these moments of puppy-brown-dog eyes that make you lose your stance against him. PLUS the fact that he is willing to "work through anything" to be with Beck, kinda makes you wavier your anti-bad guy position. Soooooo, again 30-70, folks.

Now on to "Little Karen Mint". Wow! What an insult for the ages! We get introduced to Karen Mint in later episodes and when she comes out, she comes out swinging, literally….. with a bat, literally. She is the one low-key person in the show and she almost goes unnoticed with two grand exceptions…. and they are pretty big: the break-up scene and her last conversation with Beck. But here's my problem with Karen. In her last conversation with Beck, she says "My get away from Joe key". Now this disturbs me. For one, Karen is pretty kick @ss, coming out with the bat. So……. I am baffled by this. What does Karen know about Joe. And if what she knows is about Joe is bad, why does a kick @ss person stay???? So, I went online to see what others thought of Karen's moment. The audiences apparently loved her. That did not help but I think maybe her coolness was her best power play because what she tells Beck basically takes Beck down.

Okay….. So, I talked about the characters. Now let's talk about why I am recommending this show. Well, for one, while you may not like the main characters, it does create drive to see what happens next. Benji. Stalker vs Stalker. The pee. Ron, the abusive boyfriend. Paco. This is the only reason why I loved Gone Girl. I had to see how it ended.

Two, because on some level, you will like Joe. Does this make me a bad person? For saying this? Possibly. Penn Badgley is near flawless as bad/good/stalker/killer guy. (Don't judge until you watch….)

Three because it does have a great supporting cast. Hell, Peach had to go because she was sooo evil, she was too evil. Karen. Paco. Ron. Ethan. Mr. Mooney.

But I will say, I did NOT appreciate the last conversation between Beck and Paco. Too far tv show creators. Too far!!!! But they don't care.

Also, final thought…. and no, I don't care if anyone does not believe me, I did not believe Joe killed Candace. Being honest, this belief did waiver slightly in some moments but overall, even after everything that had happened, I was not convinced. It was something Joe said about looking to masters about killing that made me doubt Candace's demise.

Anyhooooo…… apparently this series was so well received on Netflix, they have completed Season 2 already.

So, while no Kitty Paw count, I do highly recommend YOU.

csk
Re: YOU
Reply to: #974168 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 15, 2019 3:09am
Thread
Also it is a book ! So check tha out too for all you readers out there and you can compare and contrast.

Amanda
Reply to: #974168 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 15, 2019 11:02am
Thread
Oh no. i read the first few paragraphs and decided to take a look. I'm 14:21 into the first episode and I am hooked. Given that I was a financial investigator for two very large firms, it is amazing what the internet will tell you about someone so for the time being, it does not surprise me at all that Joe has found out what he has.

One of my biggest 'victories' is when two coworkers came back from New Orleans and had the just first name of a cute guy they met and wanted to know if I could "find him". I told them I'd try. With what they told me, I was able to locate his Facebook, age, finace's name, address, life history of where he had lived, what he made, what he drove, etc. and the picture of the house he currently lived in. They were stunned. I win!
Reply to: #974184 by thndrkttn
Apr 15, 2019 11:56am
Thread
It really makes you think about all the information that you share online and how easy it would be for someone to use that information against you
Reply to: #974186 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 15, 2019 12:10pm
Thread
It really makes you think about all the information that you share online and how easy it would be for someone to use that information against you

For instance, after spending several hours digging deep into Social Media and the Dark Web, using my keen intellect and skills in interpreting massive amounts of information, I have gleaned that you, Amanda... ARE FROM SEATTLE!
Last call - The Amazing Race pool - race starts April 17!!!
Reply to: #974027 by KO
Apr 16, 2019 6:41pm
Thread
For anyone interested in joining the Amazing Race pool, you must be signed up & have your team picks to me in less than 24 hours.

Project Runway season 17
May 6, 2019 6:32pm
I'm behind on watching the new season so I just saw the one where they went camping. Did anyone catch where that was, and has anyone planted a PR box there in commemoration?

-- Princess Lea
Amazing Race Location
May 6, 2019 11:09pm
Just in case anyone is curious, the Museum of Alternative Medicine in Saigon on the most recent episode of the show has a letterbox inside as well.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=212103
The Cool Kids
May 8, 2019 2:04pm
As everyone knows cable is rather expensive in my area, so I only keep to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. But with a recent visit to San Fran, I was introduced to a show I probably would not have seen otherwise. Starring the comedy legend, Vicki Lawrence, it’s called the The Cool Kids. Perhaps you have heard of it???

Anyhoo ….. set in Shady Meadows, a retirement community in Arizona, it opens up with three men sitting around the table, having just lost their fourth member due to death and in plops Vicki Lawrence. Her presences upsets the men, more in particularly Hank, old man gruff, played by David Allen Grier. Also at the table is Sid (Sidney) who is a gay single man and Charles, a hoarder, who is also single.

Now you may not think a tv show about old people in a retirement home is funny, but this show proves why it is. Between Vicki Lawrence’s zingers and Sid’s flair, it’s hard to keep a straight face. And while I have not seen all the episodes, my favorite is Margaret is Dating the Zodiac Killer. I almost choked on my drink.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Vicki Lawrence. She looks very good for 69 but more importantly, she still have the comedy tempo.
One Kitty Paw for Leslie Jordan, aka Sidney. He’s got some flair and some good snaps.
One Kitty Paw for the David Allen Grier and Martian Mull. (Hank and Charles.)
One Kitty Paw for the stories. The Zodiac, the Thanksgiving to mention a few
One Kitty for the nice rapport between the four main characters. Their connection with each other seems genuine.

Also of note. If you are a fan of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, you will be happy to know that Charlie, played by Charlie Day, created this show.

It is currently on Fox and Fox has not decided whether it will renew it for a second season.

So, ignore the old-foggie stereotypes and check out The Cool Kids. Who knows. Maybe you can relate.

csk