A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Television: After the Show Ends

Re: Big Brother tonight
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #619488 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 7, 2011 8:50pm
Thread
Ack! I am so psyched for this season!!! It is going to be the best ever. Can't wait for the feeds to go live in about 10 minutes. :-) Yep... I'm a superfan who subscribes to the lives feeds... but with the duos they brought back... how could I not??
I almost forgot
Jul 11, 2011 2:56pm
Thread
New Warehouse 13 and Eureka tonight!

TG
Re: I almost forgot
Reply to: #620393 by Trekkie Gal
Jul 11, 2011 4:46pm
Thread
We just started watching Warehouse 13 a few weeks ago & finished up season 2 over the weekend, perfect timing! I really like this show :)

We also started watching Eureka today on Nextflix streaming so maybe I'll DVR those for when we finish the other seasons.
Netflix made the decision for me
Jul 16, 2011 10:47am
Thread
I recently signed up for netflix. Then they went and up'ed their prices. I was in a quandary as to what to do. Do I just so the DVDs or pay the extra for the ability to instantly stream movies for the kids. That would be so cool to just watch them whenever we want. So I went and downloaded netflix to the Wii and let me tell you it is so frustrating. It took 15 minutes to stream the movie just to the unit. It began playing and 3 minutes into the movie it started reloading. This took an additional 10 or so minutes. So with that being said. I will NOT be paying extra for the streaming abilities. I will solely rely on the dvd's through the mail. This was a very frustrating 1/2 hour. :(

OMG, it has not been 5 minutes and it is retrieving again! so not worth it! I turned it off.

~Aurora
Re: Netflix made the decision for me
Reply to: #621784 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 16, 2011 10:55am
Thread
Lots of people were cranky about the prices, I think. For us, who NEVER streamed movies it actually was a good thing. We're paying $5 less a month for the way we already used Netflix. So we're happy, although we might be in a minority. :)
Jul 16, 2011 11:19am
Thread
I stream shows through my Blu-ray player all the time and I rarely have a problem. You probably just have a slower internet connection. I may complain a lot about my crappy local ISP, but at least it is quick enough to allow me to stream Netfllix.

As for the price increase, yes, it is pretty crappy that they hiked their prices so much. BUT, compared to all of the other options currently available, it is still a better deal. Here is a good comparison from PC World.

TG
Reply to: #621789 by Gryffindors
Jul 16, 2011 11:20am
Thread
For us, who NEVER streamed movies it actually was a good thing.

I'm exactly the opposite... we normally get only one or two physical DVD's a month, but I stream something almost every night (I have good broadband at my house, so streaming never breaks up and is very fast to load). So I am opting for streaming only, and can Redbox anything that I really NEED to see that isn't available on streaming. The fact that I also have Netflix Streaming on my android phone sealed the deal - I love how well that works!
Reply to: #621792 by wassamatta u
Jul 16, 2011 11:42am
Thread
stream something almost every night

me too! I love to watch tv series from beginning to end and netflix is perfect for that since there are a TON of tv shows available to stream. I stream through my wii and very very rarely get the "retrieving" loading problem.

Redbox anything that I really NEED to see

That is the exact same thing I said... I probably wouldn't have been able to have 8 movies sent to me in a month from netflix anyway to make it the comparable to the $1 per movie price with redbox.

So all in all... this change is fine with me!.... I just hope they don't change it from unlimited streaming down the road to a certain number of hours for a set price.
Jul 16, 2011 11:55am
Thread
I stream through the Wii and I never have had any problems with it taking a long time.

Still on the fence about what to do with the new system, I watch a lot of old movies and they are not available for streaming, mostly, maybe this will change as time goes by and more people choose the streaming. According to what I heard on NPR, that is the way they want to go. Eventually just get rid of the DVDs.

Bokmal
Reply to: #621796 by Kryssiella
Jul 16, 2011 11:57am
Thread
I probably wouldn't have been able to have 8 movies sent to me in a month from netflix anyway to make it the comparable to the $1 per movie price with redbox.

There are other costs that you might be subjected to by having to run out to a Redbox. Gas and wear-and-tear on the car aren't free. Of course, if you're like me and live within walking distance of a dozen items, those costs aren't included. ;o)

And if half the movies you tend to rent from Redbox are because they e-mailed you a coupon code for $1 off, even better! ;o)

Here is a good comparison from PC World.

They didn't include my favorite favorite location for getting DVDs: the library. Absolutely free! Weee!!!!! =) Well, there are expenses involved if you have to drive to the library--I (again) prefer to walk! =)

Of course, the primary downside is that sometimes you have to wait weeks or even months for a movie or show you want to see. *shrug* But I'm a patient man.... I can wait....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #621800 by Green Tortuga
Jul 16, 2011 12:56pm
Thread
Of course, the primary downside is that sometimes you have to wait weeks or even months for a movie or show you want to see. *shrug* But I'm a patient man.... I can wait....

I am currently 186 on the library's waiting list to see The King's Speech. I figure I'll get it in about five months.

I can't remember the last time I paid to see a movie. I can still even get impossible-to-find VHS movies from my library.
Jul 16, 2011 1:46pm
Thread
I feel your pain. We cancelled the dvd portion of our account. At times the streaming can be slow, but I think that is based on your provider, what speed you purchased and how many people are on at that given time. We used to be with wow but switched to comcast. Comcast for us is faster, but for my sister a few cities over wow is faster.

Vickie
Jul 16, 2011 2:42pm
Thread
I don't know what to do either. we are thinking of dumping the dvds & just use streaming. we usually end up at redbox for the new movies anyways.
Jul 16, 2011 2:51pm
Thread
I think I'll dump the dvd's myself. I have no problems streaming on my computer or the wii. I started using it on my smartphone too. (just for fun!)

Now...to figure out if I want to get rid of U-Verse...

oph
Reply to: #621799 by Bokmal
Jul 16, 2011 3:48pm
Thread
I haven't decided yet either. I have no problem streaming since we have good broad band too. But I'd say we are doing about half and half now since everything we like is not on the streaming.

I actually get 8 DVD's per month now. So probably just staying with the $16/month (unlimited streaming plus one DVD at a time) would make sense.

Wolf *who is currently watching all the Adventures of Brisco County jr DVD's*
Jul 16, 2011 4:34pm
Thread
Not phone watchers, but Coffee Mug loves the steaming and is not happy with the changes.

Likely will drop it completely.
Jul 16, 2011 6:19pm
Thread
I didn't have any problems setting up through my Wii which shocked me. I don't get the dvds I only do the streaming. I just decided to look at my list and noticed that it seems they have pulled quite few "newer" movies they had available on the streaming. I wonder if they did that in order to get people to go the dvd route. I should drop it completely because I get dvds from then library so much more often then watching anything on Netflix.
Reply to: #621870 by Granny Butterfly
Jul 16, 2011 6:24pm
Thread
We dropped it completely on wednesday night. my youngest watched it on the wii every waking moment and had never had issues unless the internet was down again... I dont get the dvds but my sister in law does and we were sharing netflix with her. My daughter isn't happy with the change of no tv anymore. Netflix was her way of seeing tv. We may get it again at a later time but no netflix gives her a chance to get away from the tv.
Jul 16, 2011 6:55pm
Thread
Cancelled the dvd part, just went with streaming. We've got it through the Wii wireless, and never had a problem. I wonder how these changes will actually affect Netflix financially. It seems like most people I've talked to have either dropped it or down graded their plans. I'm going to guess, in the end, they'll find it would have been better to do a moderate price increase that people just shrugged at and accepted as the cost of doing business.
Reply to: #621893 by Loopie
Jul 16, 2011 7:22pm
Thread
I just decided to look at my list and noticed that it seems they have pulled quite few "newer" movies they had available on the streaming.

There is a contract dispute between Starzplay (who does the instant streaming) and Sony. The Sony titles have "temporarily" been dropped. I think they'll be back once a new contract is figured out. I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go with Netflix. I like using the streaming, especially for kids' content. A lot of what I had in my instant que is now gone due to Sony. I only do one movie at a time for DVD and I don't want to increase it plus I watch a lot of older stuff that wouldn't be in Redbox.

I don't really have an issue with a price increase. I would have been satisfied if they had separated the two plans at $8 each but then if you wanted to bundle, why not give you a price break, like $12 or $13 a month. Having to pay nearly double for what I already have seems a bit harsh.

Woman to Blame
Reply to: #621912 by Woman to Blame
Jul 16, 2011 7:30pm
Thread
I didn't know that. I still have a ton of movies on my list so its not a huge deal. I might actually have to watch a movie or two tonight.
Reply to: #621902 by LuLaHe
Jul 16, 2011 8:21pm
Thread
I wonder how these changes will actually affect Netflix financially.

From what I understand about Netflix, I think they'd be perfectly happy to kill the whole DVD part of their business. It's a lot more expensive for them because of the mailing costs involved, and choosing the name "Net"-flix was not a coincidence. They'll keep DVDs going as long as it's economical for them, but that's not where they see their future.

Let's say someone downgraded their plan that used to cost $10/month to the streaming-only $8/month. They lose two dollars in revenue from the downgrade, but how much have they saved in postage costs? Quite possibly, more than $2, and overall, the company becomes more profitable. =)

Now for those who decide to downgrade to the DVD-only option--they're still collecting $8/month to pay whatever mailing costs are associated with the account. Not as much as $10/month, but most of those $10/month people were taking advantage of the streaming option anyhow and Netflix still had to pay for the rights to stream those shows. Now that they don't have to stream the shows to the DVD-only folks, they might not have to pay as much for those rights--which might help compensate for the $2/month less they make.

I'm not sure what they pay for streaming rights, so it might be more or less than $2/member/month, but I'm sure they'll save a boatload of money on postage costs by the people who go with the streaming-only service. And, I suspect, most people will find themselves leaning towards the stream-only option.

And for those two keep both--even better--Netflix really rakes it in then! =)

The only group of people that they'd really "lose" with are those who decide to up and quit completely. And undoubtedly, there will be some, but I doubt it'll be significant and the added profits from the other groups would probably more than offset the losses from those who quit completely.

So my prognosis: I think Netflix will benefit immensely from the change. =) It's a smart, business-savvy thing for them to do. *nodding*

-- Ryan, who wishes I owned stock in Netflix *sigh*
Jul 17, 2011 12:17pm
Thread
I'm exactly the opposite... we normally get only one or two physical DVD's a month, but I stream something almost every night (I have good broadband at my house, so streaming never breaks up and is very fast to load). So I am opting for streaming only, and can Redbox anything that I really NEED to see that isn't available on streaming. The fact that I also have Netflix Streaming on my android phone sealed the deal - I love how well that works!

Well wassa, I hope you're not in the habit of streaming on your TV while also streaming on your phone, because they're not allowing that anymore. It seems that slowly more and more folks are not going to be allowed to do that. I've spoken to people who have never been able to stream from more than one location at once, and others who, like my husband and I, could stream on as many devices simultaneously at the same time as we wanted. But with the price change rollout, now we can only stream one movie on one device at any given time. :P But that's an interesting idea, to cancel the DVD portion and use RedBox for that instead of cancelling all Netflix services altogether! Something to think about. :)

-gollygee
Reply to: #621838 by One Particular Harbor
Jul 17, 2011 12:22pm
Thread
Now...to figure out if I want to get rid of U-Verse...

What is U-Verse?

-gollygee
Reply to: #622088 by gollygee
Jul 17, 2011 1:15pm
Thread
AT&T's version of cable/satellite...can dvr, control dvr from your computer and also stream on your phone or computer. No contract like DirecTV and no other hookup fees. It's a great uption for us as sat. dishes aren't allowed in my neighborhood. I love it but I'm getting miserly and threatening to pull it from the family. :0)

Oh, and U-verse is not available in some areas.

oph
Reply to: #622086 by gollygee
Jul 18, 2011 11:16am
Thread
We just cancelled the DVD part and stayed with streaming, as it seems a lot of people have done. We figured if we really need to see a movie, there is a Red Box close by.
Jul 18, 2011 11:24am
Thread
I recently signed up for netflix. Then they went and up'ed their prices. I was in a quandary as to what to do. Do I just so the DVDs or pay the extra for the ability to instantly stream movies for the kids. That would be so cool to just watch them whenever we want. So I went and downloaded netflix to the Wii and let me tell you it is so frustrating. It took 15 minutes to stream the movie just to the unit. It began playing and 3 minutes into the movie it started reloading. This took an additional 10 or so minutes. So with that being said. I will NOT be paying extra for the streaming abilities. I will solely rely on the dvd's through the mail. This was a very frustrating 1/2 hour. :(

It'd definitely the connection. I have a cable modem with a wireless B router, so my world has been slow as molasses and even STOPS if I'm running the computer and the streaming stuff. But, normally, it's really great and I've been able to watch tons of stuff that way...not even sure why we left HOME once we got it! I heard about the price hike, too (although, strangely enough, not from Netflix yet), but I think I'll still keep it. It's far cheaper than digital cable would be for us, so I'm not about to look this gift horse in the mouth.
Jul 18, 2011 1:40pm
Thread
I've never done it to our Wii- but have on our computer & laptop. Never had a problem with it that way...

but we've decided that we'll stick with the dvd's in the mail, and come summer we'll do 3 months extra to stream (since we'll have more time.)
Project Runway
Jul 18, 2011 5:20pm
Thread
Did I see that Project Runway is going to start on July 28?? YAAAAY!!! My favorite show!!!
Re: Project Runway
Reply to: #622417 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Jul 18, 2011 5:40pm
Thread
Fierce!