Search Edit Search

Read Board: Television: After the Show Ends

Re: Siobhan on American Idol
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #497242 by hikergirlamy
Mar 10, 2010 9:11am
Thread
They had some really nice things to say about her over at Entertainment Weekly:
I mean, we haven't even hit Idol's big stage yet, and Simon is already endorsing Crystal on the Tonight Show and telling us tonight that the competition is ''hers to lose''? It's enough to make you wonder if perhaps Mr. Cranky's true goal is to sign Siobhan or Lilly, and that he's cynically hyping Crystal in a stealthy attempt to sabotage her. Actually, that would be one way to explain Simon's inexplicable disdain for Siobhan's ''House of the Rising Sun,'' which — no exaggeration — I'd rate as one of the best pure vocals I've ever heard in an Idol semifinal. I mean, let's get real for a second: Given the fact that Randy Jackson considered Big Mike's James Brown worthy of a standing O last week, how is it possible that all four judges didn't get off their duffs on the basis of Siobhan's achingly gorgeous a capella intro alone? Come to think of it, only Ellen DeGeneres seemed genuinely blown away by the way Siobhan powered through her notes with a melisma-free clarity that's all too rare among Idol's ''big'' vocalists. Me? I could listen to a whole concert's worth of Siobhan's achingly lovely lilt, the way it rises and falls as she loses herself in the lyric, the way her upper register seems to inherently convey an innate sense of angst and pain and loss. If Siobhan's emotional commitment and pitch perfection is ''a bit weird,'' as Simon described it, then I hope more season 9 contestants follow suit.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20312226_20350027_2,00.html
Reply to: #497295 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 10, 2010 9:38am
Thread
Thanks TG. I heard the song Think, by her, but it doesn't have House up yet, on the main site. She has a very good voice from that song, however. So I see what everyone is talking about. Hope she wins for you all.
Thanks again, will be watching.
Oh, I thought Alex lambert was good, as well as Aaron Kelly.
OD
Reply to: #497305 by Okie Dog
Mar 10, 2010 9:51am
Thread
but it doesn't have House up yet, on the main site

Actually, it does....'cause I listened to it. :)

TG
Reply to: #497305 by Okie Dog
Mar 10, 2010 9:54am
Thread
Reply to: #497311 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 10, 2010 11:30am
Thread
Well, I couldn't get that link to work for me, so went to google and found the idol site, maybe that was a cached site, or something from there. Will try again later today.
Thanks.
Reply to: #497351 by Okie Dog
Mar 10, 2010 11:32am
Thread
Well, I couldn't get that link to work for me

Did you copy and paste the entire thing, including her name?? If it still doesn't work, I got that link from the American Idol section of Fox.com. You could try that too.

TG
Reply to: #497352 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 10, 2010 11:52am
Thread
Oh, TG, I'm still screwing around with switching back and forth with my server to FoxFire, cause FF won't do You Tube or anything without dl of Adobe. Don't need two Adobe flash players cause there is one on my server. Its a pain in the rear, but switch back and forth. And yes, I did copy and paste the whole thing with FF, it told me error, that to check my spelling blah, blah, blah. Then went to my server and it wouldn't do it either, for some reason, so googled. Okay, will try out fox.com and see what happens.

Nope, still can't get it. It keeps showing me Think, by her instead, or Crystal's version of Tracy Chapmans song. Crazy! Oh well, maybe after tonight's show it will come up...can only hope. Thanks for all your replies, though.
Reply to: #497358 by Okie Dog
Mar 10, 2010 12:13pm
Thread
Ok, when you get to Crystal's song here, look below the video. You can either click on "Filter this playlist by" and choose Siobhan's name OR scroll through the videos directly below that (Siobhan's is the last one with the American Idol logo rather than a picture of the performer).

Hope that helps!

TG
Reply to: #497364 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 10, 2010 12:48pm
Thread
Oh, good grief, even with that link, it shows that song, then quickly takes me back to Think, instead. So I never hear that song but Think. It wants me to download ITunes, and I don't want to do that. I didn't have to do anything with think, it just started playing the first time.

I'm through messing with it. Very frustrated now, so forget it. Thanks for all your help. Getting off here and finishing up the dinner I am making, now.
byee
Reply to: #497240 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 11, 2010 1:42pm
Thread
FOX Thu, Mar 11 8:00 PM 4 Finalists Eliminated; Top 12 Revealed.
FOX Tue, Mar 16 8:00 PM Top 12 Perform ---six males and six females---
FOX Wed, Mar 17 9:00 PM 1 of 12 Voted Off Live
FOX Tue, Mar 23 8:00 PM Top 11 Perform Live
FOX Wed, Mar 24 9:00 PM 1 of 11 Voted Off Live

Then you'll have your top ten. Two more weeks of voting hard for her to get her on tour.
Idol - Major SPOILER and RANT
Mar 11, 2010 6:55pm
Thread
I am SERIOUSLY torqued that Alex Lambert went home. America got that WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! His voice is so interesting and I was really looking forward to hearing his take on the themes in the upcoming weeks.

- A Very Pissy Lemon Drop
Re: Idol - Major SPOILER and RANT
Reply to: #497765 by Gryffindors
Mar 11, 2010 7:02pm
Thread
OMG - And Lily too? What was America smoking this week?????? I know - let's vote out two of the most interesting singers.

HMPH!!!!
Mar 11, 2010 8:02pm
Thread
I am mad that Paige didn't go home! America got it wrong for sure. I was not impressed with her at all. Grrrrrrrrr
Reply to: #497777 by Ezmerelda
Mar 11, 2010 8:48pm
Thread
Didn't watch the show, but I did check the list of the top 12 that TV Guide posted. I was happy to see Siobhan made it.

TG
Mar 11, 2010 10:33pm
Thread
Andrew is AMAZING and needs to stay, at least for a while. I don't think he'll make it to the end but he has a different and original voice. Alex is young and might be back again.

But seriously, they got rid of LILY and kept Katie??!! There was NO contest there. Insane, I tell ya. . .

~~Doublesaj~~
Reply to: #497767 by Gryffindors
Mar 11, 2010 10:53pm
Thread
I am sooooo with you there. I can't BELIEVE that Katie or Didi didn't get sent home. Was it the Patsy Cline song?
Don't get it, but even though Andrew hasn't been up to par, I would've been distraught if he was not on the next couple of shows.
~Nite Momith
Survivor.... SPOILER Alert
Mar 12, 2010 3:36am
Thread
Stupid, stupid, stupid! I cannot believe the heroes voted off Tom and kept James with his bum knee (and mean-spirited attitude)! Do they not understand that at this point in the game the most important goal is still to win challenges? Moves like that make me feel that they deserve to keep losing.

I like JT, but he needs to stop kissing everyone's butt and make decisions based on the team and not what is going to win friends. In the end nobody will trust him. He even had an out... when it was suggested to vote out Candice. It was obvious Amanda and Rupert would have bought into that and if JT had tried, he probably could have convinced Tom and Colby to go with that plan too since they basically would have voted for anyone to stay alive themselves.

SpringChick
Reply to: #497802 by Nite Momith
Mar 12, 2010 3:39am
Thread
I thought all the vote-offs last night were fair.

I know they loved Alex and I can see his talent and potential, but his voice is just too nasal for me - I did not enjoy listening to him, and he was kind of painful to watch - he was so nervous. Who knows how long until he loosened up.

I liked Lily, but she was already getting old for me. She's a very stylized singer with a unique voice. I think she's very talented and I enjoyed one song a week from her, but I can't imagine a whole album - she would grate on me also. And, yes, the song hurt her - not because of the song - but because her performance wasn't great. IMO - you can't sing that song with a smile on your face - talk about not feeling the lyrics. It's not a cutesie song.

I couldn't believe her reaction - she must really have an ego. She pretty much dissed all the other remaining contestants by her reaction.

None of the 4 voted off was going to win. Right now it's a race between Crystal, Siobhan, and Big Mike.

I think I'm channeling Simon Cowell here.
Mar 12, 2010 3:45am
Thread
I am so with you... Lilly was the big surprise for me. I thought she was a really good singer. But I think a lot of the voters are younger and neither her music or look is mainstream.

I also thought that Alex and Katelyn probably both deserved to stay around a little longer than a couple of the others who are still there (i.e. Andrew, Katie, Paige), but I didn't feel either of them was "great" and I doubt that either of them would have made it to the end, so it's not such a big deal.

Toddrick... no surprise there.

SpringChick
Mar 12, 2010 3:48am
Thread
Last night was totally insane on Idol! I thought I had a pretty good grip on who was leaving this week and I was so wrong!!!

Alex I was worried about, not because of his voice, but the poor thing was scared to death on stage. I really felt for him when he had to perform his farewell song. But seriously, can we get over Andrew singing "Straight Up"? I'm so sick of hearing that one! I thought little Aaron would be leaving this week, but I was so wrong.

But seriously, they got rid of LILY and kept Katie??!! There was NO contest there. Insane, I tell ya. . .

That blew me totally away! I knew Katelyn was a goner (please don't screw up Carole King) but thought Katie would go with her. Never in a million years did I think Lily would leave! She wasn't my favorite, but by far better than some that are still in.

hopeinnc
Re: Survivor.... SPOILER Alert
Reply to: #497808 by SpringChick
Mar 12, 2010 4:45am
Thread
I agree with you totally on Tom getting the boot. James should have been gone instead. Idiotic to keep him if you even think he may not come back full tilt. I can't understand how they cannot figure out a puzzle, one right after the other the puzzles keep foiling them. If one of them know how to do puzzles they must be holding back, for some sort of strategic move, we can only hope. Right now they all look a bit like chickens with the heads cut off.
The preview looks interesting for next week. Rob and Russell. The suspense is growing, will we finally see Russell try to make a move, it looked as if he was getting ready to use that immunity idol some how, will he bribe Boston Rob with it? Make an alliance with Rob? I don't think that's possible, but who knows.
Re: Survivor.... SPOILER Alert
Reply to: #497808 by SpringChick
Mar 12, 2010 8:28am
Thread
Even Jeff Probst thinks it was the "THE DUMBEST DECISION YET" - it's the first line in his blog (which has been hilarious the past couple of weeks).

TG
Reply to: #496034 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 12, 2010 5:43pm
Thread
I had to drive around American Idol film crews at the school today. Look for Barnstable High School to appear in upcoming weeks.
Reply to: #497991 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 12, 2010 5:49pm
Thread
I had to drive around American Idol film crews at the school today

How exciting. Maybe we will see you next. She's doing quite well, isn't she?
Reply to: #497991 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 12, 2010 6:44pm
Thread
Reply to: #498001 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 13, 2010 4:28pm
Thread
On Friday, a site with avid viewers (not the official AI site) asked "Who is the least deserving to be in the top 12?" The percentages may be a fairly good indicator of who might be in the top 4-6. Take particular note, that Siobhan received the fewest votes (which is a good thing) out of all of them! Just remember to continue to vote for her and use DialIdol.com if you have a landline.

Who is the least deserving member in the top 12?
Selection Votes

Aaron Kelly 12% 687
Andrew Garcia 10% 540
Casey James 1% 54
Crystal Bowersox 1% 73
Didi Benami 3% 159
Katie Stevens 13% 728
Lacey Brown 8% 452
Lee DeWyze 1% 73
Michael Lynche 1% 58
Paige Miles 24% 1,365
Siobhan Magnus 1% 50
Tim Urban 24% 1,351

5,590 votes total
Reply to: #498153 by GreatBigSabres
Mar 13, 2010 8:01pm
Thread
Wow - Aaron Kelly? Really? I thought he should have gone home last week instead of my beloved Alex Lambert. The power of the teeny bopper vote should not be underestimated!
Okay, who thought of me while watching Medium? =)
Mar 13, 2010 10:57pm
Thread
I have two things to say about that episode:

First, why can't they pronounce the name of the town correctly?! Sheeze, it ruins all credibility when they can't even pronounce San Luis Obispo correctly. (Although, technically speaking, some people might argue that they did that deliberately to mimic the common mispronunciations of tourists so it sounds even more credible, but frankly, I can't believe that they'd deliberately mispronounce it for so-called tourist authenticity.)

And second, that whole airport shuttle stop.... Hahahahaha! That airport is so small, it has just one gate, and that doesn't even have a jetway. An airport shuttle... *shaking head* How ridiculous. *snort laugh*

-- Ryan
Re: Okay, who thought of me while watching Medium? =)
Reply to: #498223 by Green Tortuga
Mar 14, 2010 9:18am
Thread
How on earth did they pronounce it? I can only imagine one way -- I'm a native Californian but not from near SLO so I'm wondering if it's possible that I've always sounded like a tourist.
Re: Okay, who thought of me while watching Medium? =)
Reply to: #498223 by Green Tortuga
Mar 14, 2010 9:43am
Thread
Same reason CSI mispronounces every town in NeVAHda - no local script consultants.