A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Funny Pages

Re: A Bed By The Window
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #147573 by judithandsparky
Oct 30, 2007 10:24pm
Thread
Quote I have to figure out how to pump water out of the bath (second story) and down into a barrel in the yard.

Have you ever tried www.freecycle.org ? I bet someone has a waterbed pump or an aquarium one that they are not using anymore. Then, you get it for free, my favorite price. So far this year, I've got a whole pickup load of oak wood, some Cannis flowers and a comfy brown chair that looks almost new. Works for me.

janet, Blooming Flowers
Re: Water conservation was: A Bed By The Window
Reply to: #147598 by knit wit
Oct 30, 2007 11:16pm
Thread
I would do this but it would require major plumbing work to get a line through the basement wall. I've been trying to figure out a way though...

Just thinking out loud here.....drain the washer into a tub and use a sump pump to pump the water to the outside.

Shiloh
Reply to: #147846 by shiloh
Oct 30, 2007 11:39pm
Thread
Okay, I know I probably need to post this to the home board, but since we have such a good thing going, I bet someone can answer this here.

I just looked at the Water Utility section for my city. I wanted to know how much I was paying for sewer. I guess I thought they had a meter like they do for the faucets. Makes some sense to me. Here is what they say:

Quote The winter month’s water consumption of December, January and February are used to calculate the sewer average for residential customers. To figure your sewer average add the three amounts of water consumption and divide by 3. This will be the consumption used for your new sewer average for the upcoming year. Your sewer billing will be based on the lesser of this average or your monthly water consumption. The new sewer average for the year will be used starting with your April bill.

So, this seems to me that what I use in water in those three months is averaged. Let's say I use an average of 1,000 gallons of water (made up number). I will be billed for 1,000 gallons of sewer consumption. Is that how y'all see it? I will call them to clarify, but the lady isn't the most patient person in the world.

Thanks,
Janet, Blooming Flowers
Reply to: #147848 by Blooming Flower
Oct 30, 2007 11:43pm
Thread
Is that how y'all see it?

That's how I see it. As far as I know there is no sewer meter. They are just going on the assumption that all that water you are useing is going down the drain and not out on the lawn.

Shiloh
Reply to: #147850 by shiloh
Oct 31, 2007 3:14am
Thread
Quote They are just going on the assumption that all that water you are useing is going down the drain and not out on the lawn.

Good thing I'm not watering a 5 acre lot.

Janet, BF
Reply to: #147850 by shiloh
Nov 3, 2007 7:56pm
Thread
Quote They are just going on the assumption that all that water you are useing is going down the drain and not out on the lawn.

I think that's pretty standard. A friend of mine with a pool in Cary, NC said if you want to fill a pool, you can apply to have the sewer charges deducted on that much water. Of course that was several years back.

Another thing to note when re-using gray water... make sure it is legal in your jurisdiction. In some places it is actually illegal to put your used bath water on the lawn.
Banner
Nov 6, 2007 7:38pm
Hey - is that Marge's cousin (Sarge) on the banner?
Google ad....
Nov 9, 2007 12:46am
Thread
Needless to say, I've been dealing with quite a number of e-mails about IP addresses, domain names, yadda, yadda, yadda. I've generally been answering messages from accounts OTHER than my atlasquest.com e-mail address since I'm afraid mail from that address might get blocked or end up in the spam folder.

So I just finished replying to another e-mail about someone not being able to get on the site, explaining the IP address problem and to use that instead of the domain name for the time being.

Then I noticed a Google ad next to the e-mail:

lisa.com
domain name for sale
$ 2,400,000 USD
www.oldwebsites.com

Woah! They think I have that much money to buy lisa.com? Hahahahaha!!!! Oh my gosh, that's funny. =)

There's another ad too, not funny, but odd. (I thought so, at least.)

Web Hosting $3.99/Mes
Registro de Dominos, Páginas Web Domain Registration, Web Pages
www.sisahosting.com

Why are they giving it to me in Spanish? There's nothing Spanish in my Gmail account. *scratching head*

-- Ryan
Re: Google ad....
Reply to: #151067 by Green Tortuga
Nov 9, 2007 3:28am
Thread
I don't know what your gmail account is... but of course "tortuga" is spanish.

But i use Gmail for my primary mail account and am often baffled and bemused by their choice of ads.
almost caught
Nov 17, 2007 6:35am
Thread
One day me and my mom were letterboxing in the pine bush and we were stamping in and we were kind of hidind around a corner and all the sudden some people came right around. So we flipped all our stuff over and preende to draw flowers on the clue sheet. It was pretty funny. -Jman
Re: almost caught
Reply to: #154279 by Jman
Nov 17, 2007 6:54am
Thread
Not long ago my boyfriend and I were boxing down in SC. He went for the box... which we THOUGHT was in a crevice at the edge of the river. He laid down RIGHT ON THE EDGE and was peeking up underneath the rocks..... and a man and his son came along to go fishing. I couldn't yell to warn him... so when he was getting up the man said "WHADJA DROP DOWN THERE?".... to which Charlie replied "Oh, nothing really, I was just looking... that's a big hole". hahaha The man looked at him like he was crazy.... and so did I. It was so funny. The box wasn't even THERE>... it was across the way at ANOTHER crevice.
We always have our camera with us, so one of us just always poses for a picture if someone comes by.
Reply to: #154280 by theseekers1108
Nov 17, 2007 6:58am
Thread
good idea ill have to do that.
Reply to: #154281 by Jman
Nov 17, 2007 10:51am
Thread
We "kitty kitty kitty"
Reply to: #154334 by Wooohoo Crew
Nov 17, 2007 11:03am
Thread
I've pretended to be REAL interested in the leaves on a tree...

and once when I sat down on a log to start stamping in, a couple came around the corner, so I had to pretend I was drawing--as I looked intently at the trees infront of me, of course it was my logbook in my hand and so I didn't really want to draw...had to look at the surroundings for a really long time, 'cause these people were just taking there time walking by, and then as soon as they were about out of sight, ANOTHER couple came walking by...

I'm sure I've looked really silly to a few people!
Reply to: #154339 by snapdragon
Nov 17, 2007 11:35am
Thread
Ya thats what I have to do all the time it is pretty funny! -J
Reply to: #154280 by theseekers1108
Nov 17, 2007 12:43pm
Thread
We always have our camera with us, so one of us just always poses for a picture if someone comes by.

Only now you don't need a camera ... just pull out your phone. Mine is not a camera phone, but people don't notice if you are eyeing it like you are going to take a picture. That has worked, as well as just pretending to get a call which means I need to stop and take notes. (This one works great in urban locations for me.)

Paula Ü
Reply to: #154362 by Woody clowns
Nov 17, 2007 2:48pm
Thread
haha Ill have to use my phone. LOL Jman
Reply to: #154376 by Jman
Nov 17, 2007 5:36pm
Thread
I usually have my binoculars with me (unless its an urban box). If someone comes by, I just pull the binoculars up and start peering intently into the woods--perhaps casually mentioning to my family that I thought I just saw a-------------.

BirdWoman/Waltzing Pigs
Reply to: #154362 by Woody clowns
Nov 18, 2007 1:03pm
Thread
I have my handheld (PC) with me most of the time since I tend to put my clues on it, not a phone, but I have also used it to pretend to take pictures =o)

Cheers!
Rhea
Reply to: #147459 by Blooming Flower
Nov 18, 2007 9:17pm
Thread
(takes a toothpick and sails across the tub on a piece of Ivory soap, using a bit of the Highlander's tartan for a sail...will write back to all of you from Drainland once she harpoons the Yellow Whale, alias the Rubber Ducky)

The (using the spoon to row) Sprite & the (doing a grand imitation of the Colossus of Rhodes from where the wife floats) Highlander
Reply to: #154761 by Sprite and Highlander
Nov 19, 2007 6:09am
Thread
Quote (takes a toothpick and sails across the tub on a piece of Ivory soap, using a bit of the Highlander's tartan for a sail...will write back to all of you from Drainland once she harpoons the Yellow Whale, alias the Rubber Ducky)

Hey! Watch out for Milo! He's riding the ducky. Oh, no!

::shaking finger at Sprite::

Naughty, naughty (harpoon weilding) Sprite!!!

3H
Reply to: #154790 by Three Hearts
Nov 21, 2007 3:23pm
Thread
Quote ::shaking finger at Sprite::

Naughty, naughty (harpoon weilding) Sprite!!!

Hey, have you SEEN what kind of threat a rubber ducky poses to a 3 inch tall winged woman? Honestly, those duckies are always tryin' ta knock you off the soap (and calling it just "bobbing in the water").
Plus, it's a known fact that rubber duckies are directly responsible for most of the embezzlement of funds that goes on America today, as well as the import of mind altering drugs from Greenland. I mean, think about it...duckies, drugs, Greenland and finance have absolutely NOTHING in common. Coincidence...or just a clever method of throwing off the curious???
Reply to: #155784 by Sprite and Highlander
Nov 21, 2007 4:02pm
Thread
Here's proof for your theory:

http://www.mcphee.com/categories/devilduck.html

Mariette
(has a devil ducky Christmas tree ornament)
Reply to: #155784 by Sprite and Highlander
Nov 21, 2007 4:10pm
Thread
think about it...duckies, drugs, Greenland and finance have absolutely NOTHING in common. Coincidence...or just a clever method of throwing off the curious??

I hadn't thought of that.

(going to load the shotgun now)

Shiloh
Reply to: #155801 by SubRosa
Nov 22, 2007 5:50am
Thread
Quote Here's proof for your theory:

http://www.mcphee.com/categories/devilduck.html

GASP! I have one of those duckies in my bathtub!!!!! You're in on this, aren't you Sprite? Tsk... Tsk...

3H
Our New Inflight Service
Nov 27, 2007 6:12pm
Thread
For those of you who haven't been on an airplane lately:

THE NEW AIRLINE SERVICE

Attendant: Welcome aboard U$Airways Sir. May I see your ticket?
Passenger: Sure.

Attendant: You're in seat 12B. That will be $5, please!
Passenger: What for?

Attendant: For telling you where to sit.
Passenger: But I already knew where to sit.

Attendant: Nevertheless, we are now charging a seat-locator fee of $5. It's the airline's new policy.
Passenger: That's the craziest thing I ever heard. I won't pay it.

Attendant: Sir, do you want a seat on this flight, or not?
Passenger: Yes, yes. All right, I'll pay. But the airline is going to hear about this.

Attendant: Thank you. My goodness, your carry-on bag looks heavy. Would you like me to stow it in the overhead compartment for you?
Passenger: That would be swell, thanks.

Attendant: No problem (grunts). Up we go, and done! That will be $10, please.
Passenger: What?

Attendant: The airline now charges a $10 carry-on assistance fee.
Passenger: This is extortion. I won't stand for it.

Attendant: Actually, you're right - you can't stand. You need to sit, and fasten your seat belt. We're about to push back from the gate. But first I need that $10.
Passenger: No way.

Attendant: Sir, if you don't comply, I will be forced to call the air marshal. And you really don't want me to do that.
Passenger: Why not? Is he going to shoot me?

Attendant: No, but there's a $50 air-marshal hailing fee.
Passenger: Oh, all right, here -- take the $10. I can't believe this.

Attendant: Thank you for your cooperation, sir. Is there anything else I can do for you?
Passenger: Yes. It's stuffy in here, and my air vent doesn't seem to work. Can you fix it?

Attendant: Your air vent is not broken, sir. Just insert two quarters into the overhead coin slot for the first five minutes.
Passenger: The airline is charging me for cabin air?

Attendant: Of course not, sir. Stagnant cabin air is provided free of charge. It's the circulating air that costs 50 cents.
Passenger: I don't have any quarters. Can you make change for a dollar?

Attendant: Certainly, sir! Here you go!
Passenger: But you've given me only three quarters for my dollar.

Attendant: Yes, there's a change-making fee of 25 cents.
Passenger: For cryin' out loud. All I have left is a lousy quarter? Whatever will I do with it?
Attendant: Hang onto it. You'll need it later for the lavatory.

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: Our New Inflight Service
Reply to: #157917 by Amanda from Seattle
Nov 27, 2007 6:18pm
Thread
That's pretty funny. But it makes us wonder -- since a flight attendant posted this -- is this a preview of what's to come?

Key Note Sneakers
Reply to: #157918 by Key Note Sneakers
Nov 27, 2007 6:21pm
Thread
I was wondering the same thing. Sounds too ridiculous to me.

♥ Lady Lilac
Reply to: #157920 by Lady Lilac
Nov 27, 2007 6:53pm
Thread
Oh, there have always been jokes about charging for the overhead space, or for pillows and blankets (which I believe some airline is doing now!!) and we have these huge bottles of water that we use to serve the cabin and everyone is always trying to buy them from us!! I am soooo tempted to say "yup, $5 and this bottle of water can be yours!!"

-amanda from seattle
Reply to: #157939 by Amanda from Seattle
Nov 27, 2007 9:00pm
Thread
We were on a flight in September that charged $5 for the blanket.
So, here we go ~