Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Miscellaneous Oddities

this one's definitely odd...but kinda fun
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Jan 3, 2007 9:51am
Thread
have fun with this one, I will never look at brussel sprouts the same......

www.eyegas.com/xmas05/
Re: this one's definitely odd...but kinda fun
Reply to: #60380 by LUNA crew
Jan 3, 2007 10:47am
Thread
Very odd, indeed....I liked the collaged quality to the game.

Thank goodness I'm alone at work at the moment!
Jan 3, 2007 12:26pm
Thread
I will never look at brussel sprouts the same......

I love that song too.... ; )
Jan 3, 2007 12:38pm
Thread
Blechy brussel sprouts! Would you like to squish tomatoes too?

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/domino/domino.html
Jan 3, 2007 1:35pm
Thread
This is totally nuts! I don't see how any rational, sane adult could waste precious daylight doing this. I bookmarked it to "My Favorites." I'm going to wait till the kids are in bed. ;)
Jan 3, 2007 6:28pm
Thread
That's so stupid and funny! Haha. Thanks for sharing!
Siobhan :) AKA Penguin
Re: BONE: One Volume Edition
Reply to: #61065 by Alien Invasive Insects
Jan 5, 2007 5:40pm
We have had this book since practically the day it came out, as one of the Dragon Boys is VERY fond of the Bone Graphic Novels. I'm planning on him solving your virtuals some day.

He's read all of the reissued books (in color) at least once, and he zoomed through that entire thick book.

It's a great read.

Dewberry
Tick Record
Jan 8, 2007 5:20am
Thread
Okay, I admit I can be competitive at times and must know if I hold the record for the number of ticks acquired while letterboxing. My hubby, myself & dogs Simon and Zoe went letterboxing in Albany on Saturday in the record-setting 71 degrees weather. I just found ANOTHER tick which brings the grand total to (drum roll, please) 34!!!!! As far as I know, no ticks have burrowed into any of us, and believe me, I keep checking. I think the ticks don't like my dogs because they had Frontline Plus (flea and tick medicine) but I stopped before "winter' in October or November.

So, what's your count???

Buggylou
Re: Tick Record
Reply to: #61458 by Buggylou
Jan 8, 2007 5:26am
Thread
Ticks in Albany, NY, in January???? You poor thing! I've never had anywhere near that many...

Knit Wit
Jan 8, 2007 5:30am
Thread
Quote So, what's your count???

I'm afraid I can't compete. I only get maybe a dozen ticks a year,chiggers on the other hand....

Shiloh
Reply to: #61463 by shiloh
Jan 8, 2007 5:45am
Thread
Ticks . . . bad childhood experience. I forgot about them while making plans to undertake letterboxing. Hmmm . . .

Chiggers -- yes, Shiloh -- my poor daughter had over 100 bites after our first excursion. All of us were in nearly the same boat. What a few itchy days over here!

But, ticks! I hate ticks!

Mama Cache
Reply to: #61468 by Mama Cache
Jan 8, 2007 6:14am
Thread
Chiggers? I had to look that one up and am grossed out by them now!! Well, neither ticks or chiggers can't keep me out of the woods looking for those plastic containers!!
Buggylou
Reply to: #61476 by Buggylou
Jan 8, 2007 6:18am
Thread
Quote neither ticks or chiggers can't keep me out of the woods

Rest assured that chiggers won't bug you (ha, ha) in the woods. Sunny areas of tallish grass or waist high weeds--that's what they like.

Knit wit
Jan 8, 2007 7:20am
Thread
I stopped counting the ticks I've picked off (and out of) my hide years ago. I got Lyme Disease this past spring from one...and found another crawling on my leg in Colchester, Conn. this past Sat. Yep, they're thick out there, 'round here. :p
Connfederate
Jan 8, 2007 7:28am
Thread
We did a box series the end of November, took the dog with us, and we picked 15+ off him alone. (we do have him vaccinated for Lyme disease, but whether or not it is effective....) And they were definitely deer ticks. I have had one pulled off me too, but fortunately, that was a wood tick! I hate the little beasts too!!! But, it won't stop me letterboxing either!!! I just am vigilant!!!

LtW
Jan 8, 2007 8:39am
Thread
I have an annual ritual whereby I don't box from June to October so I can avoid the mosquito/tick/poison ivy/heat/humidity season.

So much for that ritual. I'm still getting mosquito bites and ticks here in Rhode Island. You can certainly have the title - I'm not counting, I'm just KILLING!

Warrior Woman
who never thought in her life that she would say "I want a WHOLE WEEK of 20 degree below zero weather with snow and ice - maybe THAT would get rid of the @@#$$## ticks!"
Jan 8, 2007 8:41am
Thread
My name is Zoe, I'm not a dog, and the only good tick is a busted tick............I hate 'em.
Reply to: #61478 by knit wit
Jan 8, 2007 9:09am
Thread
Quote Rest assured that chiggers won't bug you (ha, ha) in the woods. Sunny areas of tallish grass or waist high weeds--that's what they like.

Yep, and those power cuts that go through most every single park or trail area are PERFECT places for them! YIKES.
Reply to: #61489 by Connfederate
Jan 8, 2007 9:17am
Thread
I had Lyme desease in college back before it was known. It was very bad and the diagnosis was a rare form of arthritis. Got better after the surgery to remove my spleen and got pneumonia. The antibotic cured me. Lyme became known a few years later. I checked and had the titer in my blood. Should have been called Fairmont's desease.

I have over 100 finds and zero ticks. My wife did get a few bug bites once. It must be a regional thing with the ticks. We have them but not that badly.
Reply to: #61490 by Lighting the Way
Jan 8, 2007 9:29am
Thread
Quote We did a box series the end of November, took the dog with us, and we picked 15+ off him alone. (we do have him vaccinated for Lyme disease, but whether or not it is effective....)

We used to have our dogs vaccinated for lyme disease. Unfortunately one of them got bit with a tick that carried Ehrlichtia. The disease Ehrlichiosis is considered to be the "Aids" of the canine world. Usually it is misdiagnosed as it mimics several other diseases and sometimes can be cured if treated early. Normally it is not. You have to ask for a specific test "IFA" if it is suspected.

Our Sadie was six, in the prime of her life and she was dead within a year.

Other diseases such as Babesiosis are nearly as bad. While Lyme disease is more wide spread, it usually isn't as fatal as these two diseases. Use Frontline or some other preventative measure and then make sure you check your dogs thoroughly after every outing.

Don
Reply to: #61504 by Alyson Wonderland
Jan 8, 2007 9:59am
Thread
And whatever you do, don't find a sunny clearing in the summer and decide to sit on the ground to stamp into a box. Never, ever lie down on the grass without a groundsheet either...

Speaking as someone who grew up in north Georgia and learned early to put nail polish on those pesky chigger bites.

Knit Wit
Jan 8, 2007 2:25pm
Thread
Quote My hubby, myself & dogs Simon and Zoe went letterboxing in Albany on Saturday in the record-setting 71 degrees weather. I just found ANOTHER tick which brings the grand total to (drum roll, please) 34!!!!!

My wife and I once scored seven total, five on her and two on me, in the course of finding one letterbox. And we didn't have any dogs to share them with. I dunno how that compares.

I live in the woods, and there's perhaps one week every year when the "seed ticks" show up. Something in the reproductive cycle, I guess. Instead of one or two regular-sized ticks crawling around on you, you get thousands of these nearly microscopic ticks, all you can see is a dot without a magnifier. You get literally covered with them if you're not careful; you look at your arm and it looks like everything is moving.

-- Kirbert
Reply to: #61498 by Warrior Woman
Jan 8, 2007 2:47pm
Thread
Quote "I want a WHOLE WEEK of 20 degree below zero weather with snow and ice - maybe THAT would get rid of the @@#$$## ticks!"

Nope, sorry. It won't. They will go dormant and come back out when it warms up.

Shiloh
Reply to: #61566 by Kirbert
Jan 8, 2007 5:35pm
Thread
QuoteMy hubby, myself & dogs Simon and Zoe went letterboxing in Albany on Saturday in the record-setting 71 degrees weather. I just found ANOTHER tick which brings the grand total to (drum roll, please) 34!!!!!

My wife and I once scored seven total, five on her and two on me, in the course of finding one letterbox. And we didn't have any dogs to share them with. I dunno how that compares.

I live in the woods, and there's perhaps one week every year when the "seed ticks" show up. Something in the reproductive cycle, I guess. Instead of one or two regular-sized ticks crawling around on you, you get thousands of these nearly microscopic ticks, all you can see is a dot without a magnifier. You get literally covered with them if you're not careful; you look at your arm and it looks like everything is moving.

-- Kirbert

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BADLY THIS GROSSES ME OUT!!!!!!!!!! YIKES I HATE 'EM
Jan 8, 2007 6:11pm
Thread
That is a lot of ticks, no doubt, but my family and I went to Cedars of Lebanon State Park (in Lebanon, TN) back in the early part of the summer to find a 3 part series by She Who Plants. We went trapsing off into the cedar forest without spraying down first. Obviously, it was right after they hatched out and obviously I ran into a fresh nest of them. I had literally hundreds on me. Teach me to stay on the trail, won't it. You know, the funny part about it was they were as small as the smallest dot you can make with a #2 pencil and every single one of them were moving to my left knee. Even the ones on my right leg were moving to my left knee. When we got home (30 minutes/26 miles) my knee was covered and there didn't seem to be any more anywhere else on me. I was picking them off as fast as I could in the car, but my knee was literally covered. The only thing that I can imagine might explain this is that 5 inches of my left femur and my entire left knee is metal. There might have been some conection there. I know that as soon as I got home I took a hot bath with bleech in the water. It removed them and you could see all of them floating in the water after I was done. I let the water out of the tub and took an extra shower just to make sure. Here is the rub. About 2 weeks later I had a temp of 103 for 2 days, 104 for 1 day and then went to the doctor. My temp was 103 at the doc's and it turned out that I had Lyme's disease. It takes a freakin' long time to get over that stuff. What I can't get over, though, is how they all were congregating to my metal knee. By the way, Deep Wood's Off is a wonderful addition to any letterbox bag.
Reply to: #61645 by mstrwndl
Jan 8, 2007 6:29pm
Thread
Quote it was right after they hatched out and obviously I ran into a fresh nest of them. I had literally hundreds on me. Teach me to stay on the trail, won't it. You know, the funny part about it was they were as small as the smallest dot you can make with a #2 pencil

Zoiks! That's a lot of ticks! I had a similar experience, though not as much of an infestation, a couple of years ago. It was late spring/early summer, I was being careful about brushing up against grasses, but inevitably ended up at a part of the trail where it was densely overgrown with grasses and there was no turning back. So I marched on through, knowing that I had my secret weapon with me...

Once on the other side of the grassy patch, which was all of 50 feet long, I stopped and examined my right leg. One or two of a medium size... not too bad. Easy to pick off and remove. I examined my left left and was aghast at what I saw: itty bitty pencil-dot-sized ticks swarming all over my sock, shoe, and working their way up my leg. EGADS!!

Quote By the way, Deep Wood's Off is a wonderful addition to any letterbox bag.

On that day, while I had shunned the insect repellant, I did carry with me my secret weapon...

A small roll of packing tape! In less than a minute 98% of those nasty little critters were wriggling in vain trying to get off the super-sticky adhesive. Note that I said PACKING tape, not duck tape. If you want hair left on your legs, use the clear packing tape!

StarSAELS
Reply to: #61651 by BrewHiker
Jan 8, 2007 6:34pm
Thread
That's a darn fine idea. I think I will try that. I am going to put a role in my bag tonight. I have a three pack that I just bought for wrapping and sealing postal LBs.
Really long, and totally bizarre
Jan 9, 2007 8:07pm
Thread
Re: Really long, and totally bizarre
Reply to: #61949 by Trekkie Gal
Jan 9, 2007 8:31pm
Thread
Gotta love creativity, which is never really bizzarre..IMHO

Thanks for sharing!

<in the job market for fun/creative/"interesting jobs... like what I had PRE 9.11>

hmmmm...
preboxed
Stamp cleaner cereal
Jan 9, 2007 11:32pm
Thread
I'm sitting here, cleaning up a stamp to put the finishing touches on an image...I pull out my bottle of stamp cleaner, give the stamp a douse...
and on a whim, i sniffed.

I swear, i swear, i swaear...my stamp cleaner smells like Fruit Loops.

CQ