A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing In the News

Re: Request for photo of family finding letterbox for article
Board: Letterboxing In the News
Reply to: #944750 by wassamatta u
Apr 20, 2017 7:07pm
Thread
We can only surmise, I assume, that the rest of the family has fallen to their doom?
Reply to: #944747 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 20, 2017 9:16pm
Thread
They always assume letterboxing is only done with children.

Well, we mostly do it as adults (because teens find it boring?) But this may be for an article about fun things to do as a family. This is often the case for newspapers to do this time of year.
Reply to: #944746 by Choi
Apr 21, 2017 11:55am
Thread
I emailed the person looking for photos. The photos will be used for an article in the Senior Life Newspaper in the Cincinnati area. He would prefer photos with people who are 49 or older. Anyone who is in the photos will have to give permission for use.
Reply to: #944774 by Origami Hen
Apr 21, 2017 3:18pm
Thread
The photos will be used for an article in the Senior Life Newspaper in the Cincinnati area.

Now that actually makes more sense. Also, an article in Girl Scout Leaders of the Past: What are They Doing Now magazine. I just made that up. But it would be perfect.
3 Foragers in the News
Apr 26, 2017 4:19pm
Thread
Local (to CT) letterboxers present their knowledge of plants and yummy edibles:

https://www.cheshireherald.com/articles/three-foragers-teach-residents-how-to-really-eat-local/

Great job!
Re: 3 Foragers in the News
Reply to: #944965 by Teeker
Apr 26, 2017 4:43pm
Thread
Re: 3 Foragers in the News
Reply to: #944965 by Teeker
May 2, 2017 12:23pm
Thread
I'll bet there are quite a few people on here with knowledge of certain plants and edibles. :)

- Yuk
murder
Jun 9, 2017 3:52am
Thread
Threads about stalking reminded me of a story I heard about a letterboxer murdered on a trail in Florida. Does anyone have the details about that?
I think it was near Ormond Beach.
Could it be an urban legend? I have a friend who lives there that told me about it, but is it really true?
Re: murder
Reply to: #946675 by KatieKat
Jun 9, 2017 3:59pm
Thread
I never heard about that, and I do letterbox in Florida.....so would be interested if anyone knows anything. Do you know what year?

Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #946703 by Amanda from Seattle
Jun 9, 2017 10:06pm
Thread
I do not know the year.
Reply to: #946703 by Amanda from Seattle
Jun 10, 2017 10:53am
Thread
would be interested if anyone knows anything.

THIS is the only Letterboxing Murder that I know of. As far as I know, the culprit is still on the loose.
Reply to: #946738 by wassamatta u
Jun 10, 2017 12:26pm
Thread
As far as I know, the culprit is still on the loose.

I've heard reports that the culprit is hiding out in a foreign country. Eastern Europe somewhere.

THIS is the only Letterboxing Murder that I know of.

The only crime I see is that 222 people have viewed the video but only two people have liked it. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #946675 by KatieKat
Jun 10, 2017 12:32pm
Thread
Sadly, Mystic Dreamer was murdered . . . but it wasn't in Florida.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=916780;search=mystic+dreamer

hx6
Reply to: #946751 by Raven
Jun 10, 2017 11:09pm
Thread
Aside from personal injury, I can remember at least one case of a boxer returning to their car, only to find that their car had been broken into while they were out on the trail.

hx6
Reply to: #946757 by Hart x6
Jun 11, 2017 4:28am
Thread
We may be thinking of the same boxer, but we have a boxer from Michigan who was visiting another state; while she was doing a "quick" letterbox, she and her husband had their vehicle broken into while on the trail. Besides what she was using, she had her other letterbox logbooks in the vehicle and they got taken as well.

But on the bright side, it's only stuff.
Reply to: #946743 by Hart x6
Jun 11, 2017 8:52pm
Thread
Mystic Dreamer was murdered, but it was a domestic depute and not related to letterboxing.

As for cars being broken into, I know of at least a few times that has happened to various people around the country (including Amanda!) while they were letterboxing, but I doubt any of them happened because they were letterboxing. Just a matter of their car being at the wrong place at the wrong time and could have happened anywhere since break-ins aren't limited to trailheads.

All-in-all, I think letterboxing is a fairly safe hobby minus the occasional injury from stings, poison oak, sprains, etc. The chances of some random stranger killing you on the trail is fairly astronomical. Death in a car accident on the way to a trailhead is far more likely, and if you are murdered--assuming you aren't part of a street gang or smuggling heroine over the border or something--it's almost certainly going to be by someone you know and not directly related to letterboxing.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #946786 by Green Tortuga
Jun 12, 2017 3:21am
Thread
I am beginning to think the story must be an urban legend, because surely someone would know of it otherwise.
But what is with the "stalking"? why would a letterboxer be stalked?
Reply to: #946790 by KatieKat
Jun 12, 2017 3:46am
Thread
But what is with the "stalking"? why would a letterboxer be stalked?

Depends on what kind of stalking you are questioning. I was recently stalked in a state park, got really freaked out and filed a report in the park office. I don't know why people feel the need to follow others around while boxing, it must be some kind of perverted thrill that I will never understand. But my guess is that you may be referring to logbook stalking which is discussed a lot in these message boards. Some people claim to keep their letterboxing finds hidden so people won't know where they are but I have never been able to figure out the reasoning behind that theory. Most people don't log their finds till they are home from their boxing day so I don't know what difference it makes. Others call it stalking when another letterboxer looks at their finds in order to determine where a mystery box is but Ryan fixed that issue a long time ago when he placed mystery box finds at the end of the online logbooks.
Reply to: #946790 by KatieKat
Jun 12, 2017 9:14am
Thread
People might just have people in their lives who are stalking them. There are crazy people in the world. It would most likely be unrelated to boxing.
Reply to: #946738 by wassamatta u
Jun 12, 2017 3:51pm
Thread
Now that was SCARY !!!!!
Reply to: #946791 by Janila
Jun 12, 2017 4:09pm
Thread
I find the idea of using logbooks to try to locate mystery boxes to be clever, although somewhat devious. I must say that you can sometimes narrow to at least a general area by looking into a boxer's plant area. Sometimes boxer's plants are really random and through many states, while others plant in smaller areas. It is unnerving to think that someone would actually try to stalk a boxer. I have spent a lot of time on a lot of trails with lots of different people (not boxing) and I have certainly had times when there were uncomfortable situations with strangers in the woods, but most people are well meaning.
Reply to: #946822 by ADK oinkers
Jun 12, 2017 4:32pm
Thread
I find the idea of using logbooks to try to locate mystery boxes to be clever, although somewhat devious.

Then you may enjoy solving this box - AQ Logbook Stalker

It is unnerving to think that someone would actually try to stalk a boxer.

I have been hiking alone for about 20 years and my incident last month was the first time I was extremely uncomfortable with the person following me around. Needless to say, I didn't stay in that park very long.
Reply to: #946822 by ADK oinkers
Jun 12, 2017 6:34pm
Thread
I have certainly had times when there were uncomfortable situations with strangers in the woods

Hast youst mvet anyvone frvom Pottsilvannia befvor?
Reply to: #946826 by Boris Badenov
Jun 13, 2017 11:59am
Thread
Hast youst mvet anyvone frvom Pottsilvannia befvor?

Yes, the worst incident was in Western PA. Much more 'deliverance' types than dutch or amish types.
Reply to: #946860 by ADK oinkers
Jun 13, 2017 10:33pm
Thread
Much more 'deliverance' types than dutch or amish types.

They belong in a museum?
Article in Atlas Obscura
Dec 14, 2017 3:19pm
Thread
Re: Article in Atlas Obscura
Reply to: #954534 by HarmonyMA
Dec 15, 2017 5:33am
Thread
And Pete & Wanda too! It I think so?
Letterboxing/Geocaching article in RI paper
Oct 9, 2018 12:02pm
Thread
here

Warrior Woman
likes her townie papers
Re: Letterboxing/Geocaching article in RI paper
Reply to: #966590 by Warrior Woman
Oct 9, 2018 7:09pm
Thread
Very brief.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

There isn't really much in the article about geocaching itself, but there is even less about letterboxing. Its conclusion is that either is motivation to get outside and connect with people.
Re: Letterboxing/Geocaching article in RI paper
Reply to: #966612 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 9, 2018 7:47pm
Thread
Agree that it’s a pretty skimpy article. Still, anything that breathes life into new potential letterboxers should be welcome. This reminds me that ECP and I were contacted by the Santa Cruz paper ‘Good Times’ for an article on geocaching (over 8 years ago already! [link below]). Too bad this reporter wasn’t as equally motivated and resourceful.

http://goodtimes.sc/uncategorized/hide-and-go-seek/