A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Food For Thought

Re: Friend needs votes!
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #935151 by Fluffy Cow
Sep 22, 2016 6:57pm
Thread
I voted twice thus far! If your friend wins.
Moose, Yum?
Apr 25, 2017 3:32pm
Thread
My sister, Starr, visited from Alaska last week and brought some salmon and...ground Wassa meat for burgers. I've had reindeer sausage, but not moose so I'm wondering if anyone has had it and has any suggestions on what would be good??
Re: Moose, Yum?
Reply to: #944913 by Raven
Apr 25, 2017 3:39pm
Thread
I love it, when I would have trips to Alaska, I would always bring back Moose :-) I use it just like I use ground beef and sausage or venison, in Spaghetti sauces, to make hamburgers, chili,
meatloaf and meatballs, to put on pizza or tacos. Quiches and frittatas etc.

-Amanda from Seattle
Apr 25, 2017 3:56pm
Thread
ground Wassa meat for burgers.

I've had reindeer sausage, but not moose so I'm wondering if anyone has had it

I'd imagine it would be gristly in texture, a bit spicy, coupled with an odor one cannot quite place.

Best paired with Listerine
Apr 25, 2017 4:09pm
Thread
Personally think it is better than beef or venison, not as gamey. Substitute in any recipe that you may use beef, recommend though trying it as a plain burger so you can get a true assessment. Enjoy.
Apr 25, 2017 5:30pm
Thread
I hear it goes well with Squirrel!
Reply to: #944920 by Don't Panic
Apr 26, 2017 7:50am
Thread
Well I do live in TN now. Between Alaska and Tennessee (with a little bit of Florida in there too), man the things I've seen people eat!
๐Ÿ˜ณ
Apr 26, 2017 8:36am
Thread
How are she & her baby doing? I miss her beautiful LTCs. AQ me.
Reply to: #944914 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 28, 2017 7:32pm
Thread
Welp, gonna make some burgers tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Reply to: #944914 by Amanda from Seattle
May 2, 2017 11:16am
Thread
OH
MY
GAWD!!!!

BEST BURGER EVAH!!! I have to admit, I was scared. But man was it gooooood!!!! It was like beef, but better. Like lean beef but not dry and hard to swallow. What?!?

Sorry Wassa :'(
Re: Interesting Ice Cream continued...
Reply to: #18448 by daelphinus
Jul 17, 2017 7:00pm
Thread
Wife and I just made a fruit smoothie using four cups worth of fresh jackfruit (from a "small" jackfruit - only weighing 12 pounds), two apples, celery, juice from three limes, low-fat vanilla yogurt, a little margarita sweet and sour mix (no alcohol) and some ice. All four of us are thoroughly enjoying it!! Yummy!!!!
We will also cook the nuts to eat those and will cook the flesh to act as vegetarian pulled pork for sandwiches.

Wiki Jackfruit

FORAYCH family - food adventurers

BTW - we ate dragon fruit yesterday...rather bland tasting actually
Instant Pot Help
Nov 22, 2017 8:07am
Thread
I just got an Instant Pot and am super excited. I tried to make baked potatoes in it and they did not cook in 20 minutes as all the recipes state. They seem about half done and are in for a 2nd round. They are medium sized russets. I put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot and placed 4 potatoes on the rack for 20 minutes on pressure cook. What did I do wrong?

Also if anybody has any great Instant Pot recipes I would love to see them!
Re: Instant Pot Help
Reply to: #953961 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 22, 2017 9:12am
Thread
Not sure what you did wrong, but I have learned that things in larger sizes need to cook longer. There is an instant pot group on FB that I have found helpful...probably more than one, actually. I'd ask your question there if no one has an answer here.
Nov 22, 2017 9:53am
Thread
Well, this conversation was certainly different from what I thought it was going to be. :)
Nov 22, 2017 2:49pm
Thread
If you were using manual setting you probably needed to adjust your temperature or your time. We're still learning how to use our Instant Pot and have had about 95% good luck. Roasts, soups, whole chickens. We get most of our recipes from the web. Merely googling what we want to cook in the instant pot. Most of them work pretty well.

The fb site is great too but it gets crazy there and sometimes gets annoying. I found searching recipes best for our needs.
Reply to: #953977 by BBStacker
Nov 23, 2017 4:55pm
Thread
Thank you! Iโ€™m going to check out the FB group right now. Iโ€™m attempting turkey bone broth as I type. Hoping it comes out well.
Shelf life for chocolate
Nov 28, 2017 4:27pm
Thread
I'm sure chocolate has a shelf life right? I have some chocolate wafers from last year, that look ok and taste ok, but will they melt ok and harden and look nice? I also have chocolate that was used in a fountain last year as well and it also looks good. But if I melt it and dip pretzels in it, will it get that white chalky look to it? I make candy for the holidays to give to friends and obviously it has to look rich and chocolatey. Do I dare or just toss it?
Re: Shelf life for chocolate
Reply to: #954151 by Crazyolis
Nov 28, 2017 5:07pm
Thread
If it looks fine, tastes fine, the texture is still good and isn't past the expiration date, I say, go for it!
(If it doesn't turn out the way you want, more for you to eat ๐Ÿ˜)

All sorts of articles on-line about what can cause that white chalky look - and chocolate can be touchy any time you do anything with it.
Nov 28, 2017 5:33pm
Thread
I have some chocolate wafers from last year, that look ok and taste ok, but will they melt ok and harden and look nice? I also have chocolate that was used in a fountain last year as well

The chocolate is fine, you on the other hand need to get to a doctor as fast as you can. The mere fact that chocolate lasted more than a few hours in your possession, is proof that you are sick and need immediate medical help!
Nov 28, 2017 7:51pm
Thread
It depends, does it look like this?!?!?
special chocolate
Reply to: #954161 by FORAYCH
Nov 29, 2017 4:32am
Thread
hahaha! Nope, not chocolate out of a box. And Don't Panic....chocolate does not last long in this house! This is melting chocolate, which to me just doesn't taste as good plain. Melted and put on things....I will go to town on!
Reply to: #954174 by Crazyolis
Nov 29, 2017 4:36am
Thread
So from what I read, it is not bad, will not harm you, just may not look appealing. Sigh....looks like I save this chocolate for the fountain and fondu and get new to make my give away candy.
Nov 29, 2017 4:38pm
Thread
If needed, I can try the chocolate to make sure itโ€™s safe to eat. I can jump on that grenade, for your sake of course ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Crafting economics...
Oct 30, 2019 6:13am
Thread
Why buy something for $7 when you can make it yourself with $92 worth of craft supplies?
Re: Crafting economics...
Reply to: #980702 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 30, 2019 6:55am
Thread
Do share a photo!
Reply to: #980703 by SherlockMiles
Oct 30, 2019 8:06am
Thread
Do share a photo!

Maybe if I list it on regrETSY.

๐Ÿ˜„
Reply to: #980702 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 30, 2019 2:35pm
Thread
I feel called out by this post ๐Ÿคฃ
Reply to: #980718 by coldsnap
Oct 30, 2019 4:14pm
Thread
$92 and a lot of love put into it.
Reply to: #980720 by speedsquare
Oct 31, 2019 4:57am
Thread
Not to mention, a form of therapy for many crafters, that is generally cheaper than actual therapy (and I would argue, more effective).
Reply to: #980735 by SpringChick
Oct 31, 2019 5:46pm
Thread
Agree.