1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Dash salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Directions

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in water until smooth. Add the blueberries, lemon juice and peel; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened, stirring occasionally (some berries will remain whole). Serve warm or chilled over ice cream. Yield: 3/4 cup.

Nutritional Facts

1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream) equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.

I found the recipe on the Taste of Home website and served it over angel food cake. It would also be good over waffles or pancakes.

Easy Blueberry Sauce Recipe
Almost Soup Weather
Board: Food For Thought
Sep 15, 2014 9:33am
Thread
With lows in the 60's and 50' it's getting closer and closer to soup weather!

I make a good potato soup and veggie beef soup, but am looking for something different. My husband wants me to make a she crab soup and I'm thinking a chicken tortilla soup.

Does anyone have any of these recipes they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!
Re: Almost Soup Weather
Reply to: #868715 by Book Hoarder
Sep 15, 2014 9:57am
Thread
6 cups chicken stock
2 cans great northern beans drained
1 medium Spanish onion chopped
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken (breasts, tenderloins, etc.)
1 1/2 tsp oregano
2 tsp roasted cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
1 cup salsa (any store bought kind will do)
1 tbs vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sour Cream, freshly squeeze lime and Shredded Cheese to top

.Directions1.Sautee the onions in 1 tbs canola oil till browned. Add the garlic and continue to sautee for another 60 seconds. Add to slow cooker. Add all incredients except for the sour cream, lime and cheese to the slow cooker. The chicken should be in whole pieces. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken in the slow cooker before serving. Top with cheese, freshly squeeze lime juice and sour cream just before serving.
Reply to: #868719 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Sep 15, 2014 10:13am
Thread
I should have put the name of the soup...

White Chicken Chili. It is very close to a copycat recipe from Ruby Tuesdays. This soup is SO good and low fat if you use low fat cheese and low fat sour cream. :)
Sep 15, 2014 10:29am
Thread
I wish it was cool here. It's been in the 80's and 90's with humidity through the roof. :-P Here's my favorite soup recipe.

Russian Bean and Potato Soup
Serves 4
1T oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 russet potatoes, cubed (I peel too)
1/2 lb green beans, cut in 1" pieces
5 c veg stock (you can use chicken stock or boullion)
2T flour
1/3 c sour cream (trust me, it's good)
3/4 c prepared sauerkraut with juice (I omit this)
1T dill weed
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil on med-high heat. Saute onions. Add potatoes and green beans, cook 3 minutes. Add stock as needed to keep potatoes from scorching. Add rest of stock. Lower heat, cover, and cook 1 hr. Combine flour and sour cream in bowl. Try to mix out all the lumps. Add to soup by spoonful, stirring well. Add sauerkraut (again, I don't like it with sauerkraut, so I leave it out) and dill. Cook 15 min more. Season with salt and pepper. Tastes great with crusty bread!
Reply to: #868721 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Sep 15, 2014 10:34am
Thread
That looks delicious. I haven't made White Chili in years. When I used to make it I found I could substitute pork for the chicken and it was excellent as well.

Does anyone have a recipe for a chicken and wild rice soup? I love that and my husband and I want to do more make ahead lunches. Would love soup recipes I could freeze in single servings to take to work.

sun7flour
Sep 15, 2014 11:36am
Thread
I'd like to find some new soups to try, too. My son is allergic to beans and peas, though. :( And my daughter won't eat anything tomato-based.

I will see if I have my dad's recipe for ham and corn chowder.

I love leek and carrot soup, too.
Sep 15, 2014 1:44pm
Thread
I'm feeling the soup mood lately too! Tonight we're having the last of a batch of Shrimp Bisque that I froze in March. I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find the recipe but here's a post I made in February with links to French Onion and Chicken Tortilla recipes: http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=832325;gSearch=french+onion+soup
Reply to: #868739 by FloridaFour
Sep 15, 2014 2:24pm
Thread
That is tough. Try my White Chicken Chili and swap out the beans for diced potatoes so you still get that starchy feeling and maybe add some corn? I think those items would substitue well for the cans of beans and the flavor would still be there. The salsa does not make the soup taste tomatoey at all, so I think you daughter would still eat it. Just use mild salsa.

Broccoli Cheese soup would be a good one for your family too. I don't have a recipe for that though. I just go to Panera Bread when I am craving it. :)
Sep 15, 2014 5:24pm
Thread
My favorite soup based on soup with the same name sold at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, FL.

Old Florida Style Shrimp Soup

INGREDIENTS:
6 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. garlic
1 (1 lb. 12 oz) can tomato
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 tsp. liquid red pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, sliced thin
2 med. Celery sticks, sliced
2 med. Potatoes, cubed
2 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. Fresh Small Shrimp

DIRECTIONS:
Fry bacon, drain, and crumble in small pieces. Sauté onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, and add rest of ingredients to onion. Bring to boiling point, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add shrimp and heat through. Garnish with bacon.
Reply to: #868719 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Sep 15, 2014 6:00pm
Thread
MOTHER OF GOD THAT SOUNDS GOOD
Sep 15, 2014 6:46pm
Thread
Reply to: #868776 by Janila
Sep 16, 2014 5:47pm
Thread
Sounds like an ltc swap waiting to happen that happens to be a recipe swap also.
Sep 18, 2014 6:33pm
Thread
I'm gonna have to try some of these soups! Thanks everyone :)
Bean Recipes?
Nov 13, 2014 7:11pm
Thread
Does anybody have any good recipes with beans? Any kind will do and they don't have to be vegetarian. We just love beans and I am looking for new recipes.
Re: Bean Recipes?
Reply to: #876572 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 13, 2014 7:40pm
Thread
This recipe is one our favorites, BBQ Bean Soup. Simple crockpot recipe and freezes well. We serve it with a simple green salad and rolls. Comfort food. We use Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce.
Nov 14, 2014 6:15am
Thread
I just made this the other night. It was very easy and quite tasty! (I substituted veggie broth for chicken… either would be great!)
Reply to: #876599 by Fluffy Cow
Nov 14, 2014 1:52pm
Thread
OH man that looks good.
I miss red beans and rice since ive become a low-carber.
Chili can have beans :)
Nov 14, 2014 4:47pm
Thread
This is one of my favorites. I've done it with both chicken or port, both are excellent.

White Bean Chili

2 med. Onions chopped
1 T. cooking oil
4 cloves garlic minced
2 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chilies
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. ground cloves
2 cans (14 ½ oz. each) chicken broth
4 c. cubed cooked chicken (or pork)
3 cans (15 ½ oz. each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Sour cream and sliced jalapeno peppers, optional

In a 3 qt. saucepan, sauté onions in oil until tender. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and cloves; cook and stir 2-3 minutes more. Add broth, chicken and beans; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with sour cream and jalapeno peppers if desired. Yield 6-8 servings (2 ½ qt.)
Reply to: #876702 by sun7flour
Nov 14, 2014 6:29pm
Thread
Oh! This looks great! I do have a white chili recipe we love; but, this one is different and I would one mind having two different kinds of white chili to make.
Reply to: #876715 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 14, 2014 7:47pm
Thread
What is your recipe? The last time I made this I cooked up 5 lbs of dried beans. I have a freezer full that I need to use up (-:
Reply to: #876702 by sun7flour
Nov 15, 2014 7:31am
Thread
A staple here. Try shredding your chicken. We liked it that wat too.

Crmbled taco or rortilla chips in bottom of bowl is great too.
Reply to: #876683 by crosscresent
Nov 16, 2014 10:06am
Thread
Chili can have beans

Not real chili.

Let the chili wars begin!

Shiloh
Reply to: #876937 by shiloh
Nov 16, 2014 10:09am
Thread
Let the chili wars begin!

chile
Reply to: #876721 by sun7flour
Nov 16, 2014 10:22am
Thread
I use a copycat recipe for Ruby Tuesdays White Chicken Chili.
Reply to: #876941 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 16, 2014 11:34am
Thread
White Chicken Chili

Chili made out of chicken is as much a myth as beans in chili.

Shiloh
Reply to: #876947 by shiloh
Nov 16, 2014 12:09pm
Thread
Agree, lol

I call it spicy creamy chicken soup.

Also NO CANNED CHICKEN- bleck
How much are you cooking ahead??
Nov 22, 2014 11:17am
Thread
So normally, not being raised in the country and absolutely LOATHING the smell and taste of turkey, I turn my kids (who are now fully grown......I did do this when they were young but.....) over to my best friend (and my middle-son's wife and best fried of Stilton's mother) who has done a magnificent Thanksgiving feast so I could run away and letterbox (those of you thinking what about Dbare are correct.....he patiently gives up his turkey dinner to keep me from killing myself out on the trail).

This year, however, my bestest buddy has recently endure a double-mastectomy and is coping with the fact that since they found it in the lymph nodes and the blood vessels, she's going to be undergoing chemo, radiation AND hormone therapy.

Hoisting a bird out of the oven?? I don't think so! So I'm up!! I've made the cranberry dressing and will make the cornbread for the stuffing later today. I'm blessed in that Stilton is a much better cook than I ever will and she's volunteered to take the bird off my hands......

Anybody else pre-cooking??
Re: How much are you cooking ahead??
Reply to: #877768 by Public Hand
Nov 22, 2014 1:14pm
Thread
Your poor friend! That is a hard road to travel. I cook a big squash a couple of days ahead, then do the niceties the evening before...but most of the cooking is on the day itself. All the prep though, HAS to be done. Pie and sweet bread are done the day before as well. Please wish your friend well from your AQ family.
Re: How much are you cooking ahead??
Reply to: #877768 by Public Hand
Nov 22, 2014 1:15pm
Thread
In past years, my Mom and I have made almost everything ahead. Roast the turkey and slice it… put it in a pan with broth to reheat. It is moist and wonderful. Mashed potato casserole instead of regular potatoes… so you add some sour cream and such and it will keep in the fridge a day or two before baking. Since the turkey is done, obviously the stuffing is too, so that gets a bit of broth poured over and reheated day of.

This year… we're saving the big dinner for Hanukkah when my brother is in town, so I am making mexican turkey burgers, cranberry salsa, roasted mexican potatoes and oaxacan stuffing for next week. All easy and do-ahead-able!