A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Region: Southeast

Re: Sticker stamps at Events
Board: Region: Southeast
Reply to: #8668 by The Wolf Family
Sep 25, 2005 6:41pm
Thread
I think that the Tarheel Treasure Hunt Event will be so sprawling...with people getting together on Friday, Saturday and Sunday...and with camping and everything, that there should be plenty of time to do inking and stamping individually by hand. Come on! After all--this is the South where things are done a little slower anyway. Don't let that "Northeastern Hurry, Hurry Hurry" get to ya'll.
:-)
-Amanda from Seattle
Charlotte Event(s)
Sep 25, 2005 7:20pm
The Friday meet up has (officially) been cancelled, however, those who are in town Friday evening and want to arrange an informal meet are highly encouraged!

So the Saturday event, Tarheel Treasure Hunt will start at 10am and run until....

The Sunday event is in the process of being REVAMPED so that as little gas as possible is used, so I'm using some of my more creative muses to guide me in these plans (MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA) it will still start at 8am and end at 1:00pm...

cam
Reply to: #8669 by Amanda from Seattle
Sep 25, 2005 7:24pm
Thread
I dunno...i think that ALL stamping should be done individually, by hand. I kinda feel...cheated when i get a sticker exchange...it's like, people are in such a hurry to get your stamp and move on, that they dont' even want to stay.
I like to talk while we're stamping and exchanging...ask them about their stamp..watch them stamp it (because watching how other people stamp is very interesting), and admire everthing, both then and later on.
Just sticking something into a book to save time is just...i don't know. Less gratifying.

-Celtic Quinn
Reply to: #8669 by Amanda from Seattle
Sep 26, 2005 10:51am
Thread
Not all of us in the Northeast are HURRY HURRY HURRY types. :)

Lock Wench
(A southerner trapped in a Northeasterner's body)
Tiger and Shooting Star stamps?
Oct 9, 2005 5:50pm
Does anyone know a boxing pair that uses stamps of a tiger (no, it's not Brook) and a shooting star? They were in Helen, GA in July and I'm trying to track them down.

Thanks,
Amyrica
New Bama Boxes
Oct 16, 2005 4:35pm
Just planted 2 new ones in Birmingham...the first two in my We Shall Overcome Series!
My first missing box!
Oct 27, 2005 5:28pm
Thread
Chopin is definately missing. I drove out there today and there is no sign of the box. I am trying to decide if I will re-carve and re-plant. I will keep you all posted.

sweetiesmom
Re: My first missing box!
Reply to: #9940 by sweetiesmom
Oct 28, 2005 7:14pm
Thread
Awww--I am sorry especially since we did not get to that one last time we were in the park but had planned to get it next time--we had found the wildflower garden. We will be looking for your update!!!
We hit F200!
Nov 4, 2005 8:08am
Thread
Yesterday was a great day! We finally hit F200! You can read all about it on our blog:
http://darrendesiglaze.blogspot.com/

Desi
Re: We hit F200!
Reply to: #10330 by drgdlg
Nov 4, 2005 2:05pm
Thread
Congratulations!
Reply to: #10336 by Kaaren the Vampire Slayer
Nov 4, 2005 3:07pm
Thread
Hurrah for you guys!! I heard it's been filmed for posterity!
Reply to: #10330 by drgdlg
Nov 4, 2005 3:31pm
Thread
Congratulations! Glad it was better than F100.
Beachcomber
New GA Gathering
Nov 5, 2005 11:56am
Darren and I would like to announce our first gathering. It will be April 15, 2006.

Info: http://www.atlasquest.com/events/event.html?gEventId=105

Hope to see you all there!

Desi
Re: Michigan roots
Reply to: #750 by Red
Nov 5, 2005 5:19pm
Thread
Hello,
We're new to the site and boards. Just had to add our 2 cents in to include Angelo's Coney dogs and Koegel's viennas.
Husband grew up a little north of Flint......just steer clear of Dort Highway :).
I'll never forget attending my 1st hockey game with the Flint (Bulldog's back then) General's. What a blast! We figured we got 1 fight for every dollar we paid. Hockey is great...fights are really great.

Forester family
Hoops
Nov 9, 2005 8:48am
Thread
Has anyone attempted or found this box recently?

Amyrica
Re: Hoops
Reply to: #10533 by Amyrica
Nov 10, 2005 9:01am
Thread
<qyote>Has anyone attempted or found this box recently?

Amyrica

Assuming this is the one at Amicalola, I was there a couple of months ago and could not even decide which was the correct "tree hanging over the trail" (or whatever the clue was, I don't recall the exact wording). We tried checking by every promising root and potential tree with no luck. I know that doesn't help answer your question, but I thought I would add it anyway. *grin* Anyone who has every found it want to chime in?
Reply to: #10533 by Amyrica
Nov 11, 2005 9:55am
Thread
I heard from Rubaduc that it is definitely gone. It's listed as a PCBob box but Rubaduc has the "claim" on it.

-Red
Reply to: #10673 by Red
Nov 11, 2005 7:25pm
Thread
Can we add it to our list on the Yahoo site? I didn't see it listed a couple days ago when I first asked this question.

Can I add it myself or is this something you or Mark have to do?

Amyrica
Reply to: #10728 by Amyrica
Nov 13, 2005 10:11am
Thread
Quote Can we add it to our list on the Yahoo site? I didn't see it listed a couple days ago when I first asked this question.

Can I add it myself or is this something you or Mark have to do?

i'm pretty sure anyone can add/edit on that list. but then, i also thought i remember seeing it there already; my memory may be faulty on both counts.

-Red
Reply to: #10815 by Red
Nov 13, 2005 10:16am
Thread
Quote i'm pretty sure anyone can add/edit on that list. but then, i also thought i remember seeing it there already; my memory may be faulty on both counts.

Yes, anyone can add to the list (I have added a number).
No, Hoops is not currently there (I just checked).
Land Shark is Back!
Nov 24, 2005 9:48pm
Thread
The Land Shark was home for Thanksgiving after a therapeutic vacation in Georgia (forced by an evacuation ahead of Hurricane Wilma).

He's good to go for while, now!

SS
Re: Land Shark is Back!
Reply to: #11582 by BrewHiker
Nov 24, 2005 9:55pm
Thread
That's great

Kudos for you on the upkeep of that cool box.

S~N~K
Reply to: #11583 by Sits N Knits
Nov 25, 2005 11:02am
Thread
Is this a traditional box or a hitchhiker? Put out a hitchhiker on 10/22 with the same name so I'm curious.
Zoemomma
Reply to: #11600 by zoemomma
Nov 25, 2005 9:36pm
Thread
StarSaels has a traditional box by that name. I found it back in Oct.
It's in the Ft. Meyers, FL area.
Wouldn't it be cool if your HH passed through there?

S~N~K
Reply to: #11623 by Sits N Knits
Nov 25, 2005 9:59pm
Thread
A Land Shark Meets Land Shark scenario... hmmm....

You could specify a Destination for your HH on the AQ Clue. Kinda like a human HH holding a sign that reads, "Going to Ft. Myers Beach". Bwhahahahaaa!
Burgess Falls
Nov 26, 2005 3:37pm
For those of you travelling to Nashville next weekend for SWP's gathering, if you have time to travel off I-40 by about 15 miles, I highly recommend the Burgess Falls letterbox! The falls are absolutely wonderful and the stamp image is top notch!

Amyrica
Beware the fish, the hawk, and the Fishhawks
Nov 26, 2005 4:32pm
We spent a couple of days at Jekyll Island and stopped in Savannah on our way home. The Beware the Fish, The Hawk, and the Fishhawk is completely soaked and even though we were able to stamp in our journal, we could not stamp in their log book. We did contact the placer who lives in Savannah about it's condition. It's not on AQ but is on Letterboxing.org.

We also got Adam and Abby's Wedding in Richmond Hill. Very nice park, box, and stamp. We didn't see any alligators though. Someone walking in the park saw that we were from out of town and had a little white dog with us and warned us of the alligators. She said she's seen some 7' ones.

It sure was nice to get some boxing in again.
Scooters Mom
A New Year's Challenge
Jan 8, 2006 7:32pm
Thread
Happy New Year southeasterners!

As I was contemplating my letterboxing plans for 2006, it dawned on me that I've not seen any planted letterboxes from a few of our busier southeastern boxers. In fact, there are two young men in particular who have each found well over 100 letterboxes but never planted a single one! (I won't name names to protect the innocent).

I've decided to encourage more of our boxers to do some planting for my New Years Resolution. Here's a little friendly challege: To the first southeastern letterboxer with over 50 finds but no planted letterboxes that plants a real-in-the-wild letterbox, I will bring a cold 6-pack of beer, soda, or water or cold bottle of wine (your preference) to the Grayson Gathering for you. (If you don't attend the Gathering, we can arrange an exchange.)

Now, go out and have fun carving and planning and hiding! You can do it! I know you can! We're all behind you!

Amyrica the mischievous
Re: A New Year's Challenge
Reply to: #14237 by Amyrica
Jan 9, 2006 11:44am
Thread
Quote found well over 100 letterboxes but never planted a single one

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!

Quote there are two young men in particular

And without checking logbooks, I am pretty sure I know the other person being referred to as well.

Quote the innocent

I have been called worse.

Honestly, I do have some ideas of what I want to do finally, and have started some stuff but I am not likely to claim the prize/bribe at the pace I have been tinkering with carving.
Re: A New Year's Challenge
Reply to: #14267 by Eidolon
Jan 9, 2006 12:40pm
Thread
I am not likely to claim the prize/bribe at the pace I have been tinkering with carving

Admittedly, beverages are not necessarily a strong incentive but I'm hopeful that you might just do it with a little encouragement.
:-)

Maybe it's time for Mark to pull that carving lesson out of his hat.....

Amyrica