A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Region: Southeast

Re: Kings Mountain Ltrbox
Board: Region: Southeast
Reply to: #4270 by Jensgreycar
May 19, 2005 12:28pm
Thread
oops boy is my face red.. (almost as read as the menu bar on the new atlasquest page.. ;-D)
Re: Dee and Abby--THANK YOU!
Reply to: #4299 by Dee and Abby
May 19, 2005 4:05pm
Thread
Amyrica I can't bring Abby due to the hotel!!!

Thanks for the heads' up! I totally understand. You'll have a nice time in downtown Greenville. It's a cute downtown area.

We'll be planting a box there after the gathering--sorry we couldn't get it there beforehand. Since you're sticking around, I'll call you on your cell phone after it's planted so you can go find it! :-)

Amyrica
Reply to: #4314 by Amyrica
May 19, 2005 5:09pm
Thread
Quote Since you're sticking around, I'll call you on your cell phone after it's planted so you can go find it!

OOh me too, me too!

Weyrwoman
Reply to: #4319 by Weyrwoman
May 19, 2005 5:25pm
Thread
Since you're sticking around, I'll call you on your cell phone after it's planted so you can go find it!

OOh me too, me too!

Sure, email me your cell phone number offline or give it to me Saturday and I'll give anyone a buzz that wants the clue that will be around later Saturday night/Sunday. I'm still not sure what time I'll be able to plant the box. My mother-in-law is in Greenville and I think we're going straight to her house from the gathering. Hopefully, we can pull her out and take her with us to the spot I intend to hide the box.

Amyrica
FYI-Plant-A-Box Attendees
May 19, 2005 5:30pm
Thread
I'm planning on heading down early Sat. morn. to plant my box, so bring paper if you want to write down the clues while we're chewing our food and "chewing the fat". :-)

See y'all Saturday.

Knit Wit
Re: FYI-Plant-A-Box Attendees
Reply to: #4321 by knit wit
May 19, 2005 5:40pm
Thread
Quote so bring paper if you want to write down the clues

Yeah - I was wondering how/if clues to newly planted boxes might be distributed.

We will be planting in the AM too....and

heading to downtown G'ville afterwards - promised the kids a trip to the zoo!

Maine Mom of 123 Family
Reply to: #4321 by knit wit
May 19, 2005 5:42pm
Thread
I'm leaving first thing in the morning. My parents are already there. I'd leave tonight if I thought I could find the place in the dark. They probably also lock the gate at night. Can't wait!

Weyrwoman
Reply to: #4323 by She Runs
May 19, 2005 6:52pm
Thread
We will be going to the zoo and downtown Sunday. At least that was our plan but I am willing to make changes if we want to make it a group thing

Thanks Amyrica I definately want the clues. Tell Shooting T to come anyway that she will have fun and I PROMISE Abby will be at St Mtn.

Dee
Plant-a-Box/personal traveler
May 19, 2005 8:40pm
i just got my personal traveler posted, so hopefully everyone will have time to get it figured out.

We are coming down after lunch on Friday, and hope to plant our box friday and give clues on Sat also.

I can't wait to meet all you guys!!!

hopefully I will be bringing my best friend and her family so they can get introduced to boxing!!

jennifer
Reply to: #4299 by Dee and Abby
May 20, 2005 6:18am
Thread
Quote I can't bring Abby due to the hotel!!!

Maybe someone at the campground can watch her Friday nite?
Reply to: #4329 by Dee and Abby
May 20, 2005 6:21am
Thread
I would love to go to the zoo. Greenville zoo is small but wonderful, you even get to feed some of the animals!!

jennifer
Reply to: #4337 by Red
May 20, 2005 6:29am
Thread
Good idea Red! I actually thought about sending her to Amyrica's mom's (in-law?) if possible but it is just to much trouble. When we need to stop to eat Sunday, we would have to do fast food. Bluck!
So she is going to stay behind this time but she will be at Stone Mtn.
I hope shooting T comes anyway!
It's funny that EVERY child could care less about Christopher or myself but when it comes to that dog, she gets ALL the LOVE!!! LOL

Red - are you and Silly going???
Dee
Re: NC permitting
Reply to: #3604 by She Runs
May 20, 2005 10:10pm
Thread
I wonder if they're going to try to charge the bears that knock down small trees, or the deer that create their own "highways" through the underbrush and eat the leaves off the trees...?

If I had the money, I'd buy up a whole bunch of cheap acreage and post signs all around the perimeter that said: No Trespassing Unless You're Letterboxing!

;-)
howdy all!
May 26, 2005 8:02am
Thread
a week after I came home from vacation, my computer went kaput! so now I'm getting it all back together. hope to box some next week...looking forward to seeing you all at St Mtn!

VA
Re: howdy all!
Reply to: #4447 by VictoriAnna
May 26, 2005 8:08am
Thread
Welcome Home VA!

Dee
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - Tick Project
May 27, 2005 12:34pm
For those of you who haven't seen this in your local papers:

Georgia Public Health Tick Attach Project

The Georgia Division of Public Health is partnering with the University of Georgia and the Georgia Poison Center to conduct a tick attach study. The study will help identify areas in Georgia where the chances of getting sick from a tick bite are the greatest.

If you find a tick attached to yourself or another person you can call the Georgia Poison Center (404-616-9000 or 800-222-1222) 24/7 for information about tick removal, identification and testing.

The Georgia Poison Center will provide information about how to mail the tick to get it tested when you call. The University of Georgia will test the tick for the bacteria that cause tick-borne diseases like Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, Lyme disease, Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness (STARI) and tularemia, depending on the species of tick.

Three weeks after you call the Georgia Poison Center, an expert in tick illness from the Georgia Division of Public Health will call you to ask some questions about exposures to tick habitats and find out if you developed symptoms of tick-borne illness. You will get the results of the tick testing when it is done.

If you would like more information about tick-borne diseases in Georgia, call the Georgia Division of Public Health at 404-657-2588 or visit our website at:

http://www.health.state.ga.us/epi/vbd/tick.asp

(I'd advise everyone to go visit the website whether you want to or not! I found a huge Lone Star tick on me this morning after wandering in the wooded section of our backyard. It wasn't attached, just walking around on me. I flicked it off and captured and enclosed it in a piece of transparent tape.)

Happy Boxin'!

S
t
a
r
Steve
a
e
l
s
Happy Birthday to me!
May 27, 2005 12:50pm

YAY!  I love birthdays!!!

VictoriAnna the young-at-heart

Mooky & Dipper make the Pepe site
May 31, 2005 9:56am
Thread

In case you hadn't noticed, I just wanted to applaud Mooky & Dipper for being noticed by Mark and Sue Pepe on their high point series!  It is a way cool idea.

Amyrica

Re: Mooky & Dipper make the Pepe site
Reply to: #4538 by Amyrica
May 31, 2005 1:53pm
Thread

Cool ...I'll have to check that out.

We've actually been highpointing for a while. We got MA. RI. ,and CT. this weekend, making it 24 total state highpoints. Now we need to revisit some highpoints so we can continue our series.

Enjoy, Blue Skies,

Mooky & Dipper

Reply to: #4550 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 3:09pm
Thread

We got MA. RI. ,and CT. this weekend

We were in that neck of the woods this weekend too!  We were visiting my sister in southeastern CT and were happy to find our first 5 CT letterboxes.  :-)

Amyrica

Reply to: #4550 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 4:26pm
Thread
We got MA. RI. ,and CT. this weekend, making it 24 total state highpoints. Now we need to revisit some highpoints so we can continue our series.

What about the high points located in National Parks? Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five state highpoints that would be off limits.

-- Ryan, proud to have beaten you with a letterbox to the high point in Virginia. ;o)
Reply to: #4553 by Green Tortuga
May 31, 2005 4:58pm
Thread

What about the high points located in National Parks? Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five state highpoints that would be off limits.

And unless they're very careful, the high point of NC won't keep a letterbox long. The rangers at Mt. Mitchell are most LB-unfriendly.

Knit Wit

Reply to: #4557 by knit wit
May 31, 2005 5:18pm
Thread
Perhaps, a box could be placed at the Low Point (away from the ocean) just to get the point across in North Carolina.
Reply to: #4553 by Green Tortuga
May 31, 2005 5:56pm
Thread

Why would a national park be "off limits"?

Virginia's highest point was absolutely beautiful.  Did you see any ponies?

Reply to: #4560 by speedsquare
May 31, 2005 5:59pm
Thread
When it comes to "unfriendly" high points... We'll need to find the nearest friendly spots to plant LB's. We've already had to improvise with Rhode Island's privately owned highpoint.
Reply to: #4561 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 6:18pm
Thread
Why would a national park be "off limits"?

The NPS isn't fond of letterboxes. *shrug*

Virginia's highest point was absolutely beautiful.  Did you see any ponies?

Absolutely! =) But you know, the actual highest point is rather anti-climatic. Just a bunch of trees around blocking the view....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #4562 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 6:25pm
Thread

Yep, I was thinking that, too.  Texas and Washington's highest points are both NPS territory.  It'd definitely be interesting to try to plant those LBs--the one in WA would require year round crampons, ice picks and a can of deicer just to open the container once you're there.  ;)

dvn2r ckr

Reply to: #4564 by daelphinus
May 31, 2005 6:41pm
Thread
Texas and Washington's highest points are both NPS territory.

So is California, Alaska, and Tennessee. I'm not sure about Colorado, but I have a hunch it might be too. And while Maine's is not in a national park, I'd be completely shocked if they allowed it! They take "leave no trace" more seriously than even national parks to, which I think is commendable.

National parks are bad about building services for visitors which attracts more visitors and damages the environment they want to protect. Baxter SP in Maine is the only place I've ever been where nature comes before people! No paved roads, no running water, no potable water for that matter--it's quite commendable in my book, but for that reason, I'd seriously doubt they'd allow letterboxing. In fact, I hope they don't! =) It's nice that there is a place where people are second class citizens to the environment.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #4561 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 6:48pm
Thread
<> Those danged ponies ate my first aid kit when I was there. I have never forgotten this, and someday will have my revenge. ;-) DebBee
"fluffy" letterboxers...
Jun 3, 2005 9:42pm
Thread

I would never make it if all letterboxes were like the ones in Madison County, NC (requires rope and grappling hook!!) and I am glad there are "drive bys", and even those park type boxes that require short hikes, but right now i could never do a 10 mile hike and keep up with a group. 

Are there gonna be any other fluffy boxers at the Stone Mountain gathering???

alysonwonderland