A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Region: Southeast

Re: Welcome to AQ, She Who Plants!
Board: Region: Southeast
Reply to: #3816 by Amyrica
Apr 27, 2005 3:58pm
Thread
My brother-in-law lives in Nashville. I see we need to pay him a visit.

Weyrwoman
Reply to: #3819 by Weyrwoman
May 2, 2005 7:50am
Thread
Let me know when Weyrwoman! A friend of mine JUST moved up there and has a place for me to stay! I plnan on making a trip this summer. Just not sure exactly when!!

Dee & Abby
Reply to: #3906 by Dee and Abby
May 2, 2005 11:17am
Thread
I don't know when it will be possible for me. I'm due July 9th, so if I can't get up there before then, it will be a while. I'll look into it though.

Weyrwoman
Reply to: #3911 by Weyrwoman
May 2, 2005 12:07pm
Thread
Congrats! Oh yeah, that is why you won't be joining us at LbSE gathering at Stone Mountain!
Well maybe someday! Hopefully then I can meet the little boxer!!

Dee
Pink Flamingos held for ransom!
May 4, 2005 12:32pm
Thread
I just heard on the radio that some plastic pink flamingos where kidnapped from people's lawns and are being held for ransom by a bunch of hooligans for Snickers bars. And they're threatening that "pink heads will roll" if their demands aren't met!

I didn't catch where this happened, so DeeBee, please tell us that your flamingos are safe!

-- Ryan
Re: Pink Flamingos held for ransom!
Reply to: #3950 by Green Tortuga
May 4, 2005 2:15pm
Thread
Quote DeeBee, please tell us that your flamingos are safe!

I hadn't heard about those particular flamingos, but I did have one stolen at Christmas. It was a cool, light-up one, and its head bobbed up and down. I had it set up so it looked like it was hanging a Christmas ornament on a light-up tree. It was so cute. Then some cretin took my bird! It's simply scandalous. These fiends will stop at nothing! Maybe we should organize a posse.

DebBee
Back from our trip!
May 5, 2005 11:06am
Well, we're back from our trip, and we had a wonderful time! We went to Jekyll Island, Savannah and Tybee Island. Of course, we had a few minor detours along the way for our letterboxing adventures! We attempted 9 letterboxes, and found 7. Amongst our finds (I can't tell all the ones we found) were:
- Peach Water Tower
- Ondbay Ampsway (2 boxes)
- Beware the Fish, Hawks and Fish Hawks!
- Beware the End! ,
all of which are in pretty good repair.

We attempted and were unable to find:
- Flutterby 475 (we couldn't get it because the place was packed, and I mean PACKED with people)
- Abandoned WW II Airstrip
- Georgia Peanut
Those last two I am pretty sure the boxes must be missing. We were particularly bummed to miss out on the "Abandoned" box, but I must say that that clue, and the "Peanut" clue both led us to fantastic places that we will definitely revisit. We wouldn't have found these spots if we hadn't been trying for the letterboxes, so even if we couldn't log the finds we were glad to have been there.

I suspect that we were first finders of "Beware the End!", but since it was a hybrid geocache/letterbox I am unsure. I'll ask the placer. It's a 6 mile hike roundtrip, so it's possible we were the first to do it! It was a nice walk, but if you are considering it, I'd recommend taking bikes instead. It would be easy to do. Oh, and go before it gets too hot in the day, wear lots of sunscreen and bring bug repellent! If you like to birdwatch (or boat or plane watch), bring binoculars too. We enjoyed it.

As a matter of fact, letterboxing on this trip has left us all with a very attractive sprinkling of bug bites all over ourselves! It seems no matter where we went, the mosquitoes and ticks found us. I am so glad it was windy when we went to Ondbay Ampsway, because otherwise the mosquitoes would have kept us from enjoying a very nice park! Bug spray was a vital ingredient on this trip, so if you try any of these boxes, definitely bring some! :)

Finally, I'd like to add that I'd never been to Jekyll Island before, and it was FANTASTIC. We LOVED it. We relaxed, rented bikes and rode around, walked the historic section, and generally enjoyed ourselves. If you get a chance to go, I highly recommend it. If you'd like a lovely place to stay, try the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. Normally we wouldn't be able to afford it, but I checked their website and they were offering rooms at 1/2 price on certain days. Apparently, they run specials regularly on their website, so it's worth a look. We also recommend the campground on Jekyll- less luxurious, but very pleasant and MUCH cheaper! :)

Hope everyone is doing well and has been able to enjoy some of this cooler, sunny weather!
Later,
KitCat
Reply to: #3951 by DebBee
May 5, 2005 12:23pm
Thread
some cretin took my bird! It's simply scandalous. These fiends will stop at nothing! Maybe we should organize a posse.

I can just imagine a posse of letterboxers hunting down a pat of flamingo filchers... when the filchers are apprehend by the 'boxers, their hands are sleeved in heavy-duty ziplock baggies, their feet are encased in super-size Rubbermaid containers, they're tied to trees with waterproof (or duck) tape, and are stamped superfluously with stamps carved specially for the occasion...

On a lighter note (chuckle):

http://www.flamingostampede.com/facts.html

SteveS
Reply to: #3962 by BrewHiker
May 5, 2005 12:34pm
Thread
What a fascinating website! I laughed when I saw that the plastic flamingos outnumbered the lives ones, though I can't really say I'm surprised. I'm more surprised that someone would actually try to figure such a thing out.

But what about this?

Quote 1 out of 300 people have a irrational fear of flamingos.

That seems like a surprisingly large number of people with an irrational fear of flamingos. I hope that didn't turn anyone off from the gathering in Florida earlier this year!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #3964 by Green Tortuga
May 5, 2005 1:23pm
Thread
Quote I hope that didn't turn anyone off from the gathering in Florida earlier this year!

Especially since all of our flamingos were very well trained and docile!

DebBee
Reply to: #3950 by Green Tortuga
May 5, 2005 4:52pm
Thread
Last fall, our neighbor "flamingoed" our lawn. One morning, I go out and find like 20 plastic flamingoes out on the lawn and busted out laughing! I did not tell Mrs. Lightnin Bug, but got a call at work about 1 hour later from the Mrs. asking if I saw the flamingoes. Our neighbor did it to celebrate the beginning of school and being liberated from her little gremlins for most of the day.

LB
Reply to: #3967 by LightninBug
May 5, 2005 5:20pm
Thread
I read a suggestion for a fund raiser groups can do. They put pink plastic flamingos on people's lawn with a note around their necks saying for a donation to the group, they'll remove them! Or, for a larger donation, they'll remove them and put them on the yard of your choice.

DebBee
Kings Mountain Ltrbox
May 15, 2005 8:35pm
Thread
The box had to be moved, and the clues have been ammended.

jennifer
Re: Kings Mountain Ltrbox
Reply to: #4188 by Jensgreycar
May 15, 2005 8:41pm
Thread
This is tooo funny! Just today, a friend and I headed up King's Mountain to hide four new letterboxes... The only thing is, OUR King's Mountain is in Oregon. When I saw your post, I wondered how anyone could've moved our boxes and changed the clues before the clues had ever been posted... I do hope your mountain has as many gorgeous wildflowers as ours. Funhog
Reply to: #4205 by The Wolf Family
May 17, 2005 6:43am
Thread
No funhog, our state park is mostly wood, and right next to a national battlefield park. But it is very beautiful. There is a lake and a stream, but very few open area, and not enough hiking trails. I would like for our scouting troops to strike some new trails out there, so I will have some places for some new boxes. Ha-Ha!

Wolf family, not it didn't move far, but it was supposed to be in the crook of the three trees and it kept falling our so it was moved. And a little revision of the peom was needed.

jennifer
Reply to: #4210 by Jensgreycar
May 17, 2005 7:35am
Thread
Quote No funhog, our state park is mostly wood, and right next to a national battlefield park. But it is very beautiful.

Well, ours is a bona fide kick-ass hike, gaining nearly 2800 feet in elevation in 2.5 miles. Then... you have to come down the thing. However, the forest on the way up is lush and the meadow at the top is absolutely stunning. Now there are boxes to add to the experience. C'mon and visit our King's Mountain! Funhog
Reply to: #4210 by Jensgreycar
May 17, 2005 6:40pm
Thread
Jen,
I highly recommend (if you want a good hike) Crowder's Mountain.. just a cow patty's toss from Kings Mtn... ;-D er, NC that is.
Reply to: #4238 by Alyson Wonderland
May 18, 2005 9:01am
Thread
Quote I highly recommend (if you want a good hike) Crowder's Mountain..

If I may be so bold, unfortunately Jen is quite familiar with Crowder's Mountain and the rangers' diligence in removing letterboxes. It was a wonderful hike for a great stamp. Too bad it didn't hang around longer.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #4261 by knit wit
May 18, 2005 1:14pm
Thread
thanks Knit Wit !!!!!

yeah I know about crowder's, sore subject though huh!!!

jennifer
Dee and Abby--THANK YOU!
May 18, 2005 7:06pm
Thread
Hi folks!

My children met Dee and Abby a few weeks ago at Lady Buzz's Preeclampsia Walk. They fell in love with Abby and thought Dee was quite funny also.

This afternoon I finally sprung it on them that our trip to Greenville this weekend wasn't only for the purpose of visiting Granny. They rolled their eyes when I told them about the gathering. Shooting T even declared that she wanted to be dropped off at Granny's house to hang out there while the rest of us attended the gathering.

So, I played my trump card. I said, "Sure, but you'll miss Dee and Abby." Wouldn't you know it, she turned on a dime and said she definitely wanted to join us so she could "hold her baby" (Abby). Hahahahahaha!

THANK YOU DEE!

Now, I just have to nurse Giraffe back to health or he may be the one being dropped off at Granny's beforehand!

Amyrica
Giraffe
Reply to: #4287 by Amyrica
May 18, 2005 9:57pm
Thread
Hi Amyrica

I hope everything is going OK for your Giraffe
=0/

S~N~K
Re: Giraffe
Reply to: #4292 by Sits N Knits
May 19, 2005 6:11am
Thread
Thanks for the good thoughts, SNK.

He'll be fine. It's a cold or something non-life-threatening. It's just that in HIS mind, it's the plague.....

Amyrica
Re: Dee and Abby--THANK YOU!
Reply to: #4287 by Amyrica
May 19, 2005 7:14am
Thread
OH NO! Amyrica I can't bring Abby due to the hotel!!! I am very glad they are cvoming but I do not want to disappoint Shooting T!!

I don't know why but I JUST saw this post!!

I will see what I can do but Christopher and I are staying for a night and going to enjoy downtown Grewnville Sunday. We are worried we will not be able to go out to eat or do anything!

Dee
Re: Giraffe
Reply to: #4296 by Amyrica
May 19, 2005 7:19am
Thread
He'll be fine. It's a cold or something non-life-threatening. It's just that in HIS mind, it's the plague.....

Amyrica - Does he possibly WANT to go to Granny's instead of the gathering????? Maybe that is why his head is telling him he's sick, LOL!!!

Tell Shooting T to come and see me anyway!!

Dee
Reply to: #4270 by Jensgreycar
May 19, 2005 12:28pm
Thread
oops boy is my face red.. (almost as read as the menu bar on the new atlasquest page.. ;-D)
Reply to: #4299 by Dee and Abby
May 19, 2005 4:05pm
Thread
Amyrica I can't bring Abby due to the hotel!!!

Thanks for the heads' up! I totally understand. You'll have a nice time in downtown Greenville. It's a cute downtown area.

We'll be planting a box there after the gathering--sorry we couldn't get it there beforehand. Since you're sticking around, I'll call you on your cell phone after it's planted so you can go find it! :-)

Amyrica
Reply to: #4314 by Amyrica
May 19, 2005 5:09pm
Thread
Quote Since you're sticking around, I'll call you on your cell phone after it's planted so you can go find it!

OOh me too, me too!

Weyrwoman
Reply to: #4319 by Weyrwoman
May 19, 2005 5:25pm
Thread
Since you're sticking around, I'll call you on your cell phone after it's planted so you can go find it!

OOh me too, me too!

Sure, email me your cell phone number offline or give it to me Saturday and I'll give anyone a buzz that wants the clue that will be around later Saturday night/Sunday. I'm still not sure what time I'll be able to plant the box. My mother-in-law is in Greenville and I think we're going straight to her house from the gathering. Hopefully, we can pull her out and take her with us to the spot I intend to hide the box.

Amyrica
FYI-Plant-A-Box Attendees
May 19, 2005 5:30pm
Thread
I'm planning on heading down early Sat. morn. to plant my box, so bring paper if you want to write down the clues while we're chewing our food and "chewing the fat". :-)

See y'all Saturday.

Knit Wit
Re: FYI-Plant-A-Box Attendees
Reply to: #4321 by knit wit
May 19, 2005 5:40pm
Thread
Quote so bring paper if you want to write down the clues

Yeah - I was wondering how/if clues to newly planted boxes might be distributed.

We will be planting in the AM too....and

heading to downtown G'ville afterwards - promised the kids a trip to the zoo!

Maine Mom of 123 Family