Search Edit Search

Read Board: Region: Southeast

Re: Yesterday
Board: Region: Southeast
Reply to: #2603 by Brook
Mar 4, 2005 9:44am
Thread
Quote I work near Peachtree Corners

Hey, no problem! I live about 5 miles away from there. Hmmm...another excuse to carve!

There will be a one-day only box available in P'tree Corners on Saturday, May 7. Details to follow soon! Mark your calendars, everyone! ;)

~LB
Re: Hiding boxes
Reply to: #2615 by Brook
Mar 4, 2005 3:25pm
Thread
Well Brook the saying has always been "if you plant them they will come". So by planting a box someone will come find it and maybe hide one, then someone else comes to find those two and plant another and so on. Please keep in mind though, Darwinism does apply to boxes, only the well hidden sturdy boxes will survive the long haul.
As far as carving goes, practice, practice, practice. Don't feel like it needs to look perfect, remember you are your worst critic.;-) There are lots of websites that will get you started carving and then there's supose to be a carving class/party some day, in your neck of the woods.

Boxdn
Sig stamp & SE boxes
Mar 4, 2005 4:37pm
Thread
I posted my new signature stamp with my profile last night, if anyone's interested. (I said I'd do it after the gathering, and I finally got to it.)

Also, I was pleased to see two boxes I found back in 2003 added to Atlasquest today!

DebBee
Re: Yesterday/Brook
Reply to: #2518 by Brook
Mar 5, 2005 10:35am
Thread
Quote Who would have thought that Santa would have been hiding in the woods of Gwinnett County?
Brook
Reply to: #2518 by Brook
Mar 5, 2005 10:46am
Thread
Oops...started to write, but I hit send too early <blush>

I'll try again now

Quote Who would have thought that Santa would have been hiding in the woods of Gwinnett County

Did this hitch hiker pass through Gainesville FL? Was it a tiny store bought Santa?
I think it might have been the first hitch hiker that I have found! And where is Gwinnett County located?
Adam, its owner, isn't an Atlas Quest member. But I can
e-mail him to let him know where it's at.

Thanks for any info

Sits N Knits ....PS I'm glad Santa brightened a sad letterboxing day. I hate the thought of any trees being bulldozed down anyway =0/
GREAT DAY!
Mar 5, 2005 3:10pm
Thread
WOW! What a day we had! The weather was beautiful, the company grand. Could'nt have asked for a better letterboxing experience. Thanks everyone!

CR
Judith
Reply to: #2655 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 5, 2005 3:11pm
Thread
Almost forgot. CONGRATULATIONS JUDITH & SPARKY ON YOU'RE 100th FIND!!!!!!

CR
Re: Judith
Reply to: #2656 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 5, 2005 4:39pm
Thread
Yes, congrats to Judith and the super-Sparky!

We were in the car, heading to find the Lullwater Easter Egg when Shooting T suddenly felt really ill. We turned around and let her sleep it off. She's feeling first rate again and we plan to head that way tomorrow afternoon!

I've made a mental note that if she has a sleepover again and we're planning to go lboxing the next day, she must be asleep by a specific time or she'll face serious consequences! No more lack-of-sleep-induced ailments for causing ME to miss letterboxing. :-)

Amyrica (the wiser mom)
Re: Sig stamp & SE boxes
Reply to: #2639 by DebBee
Mar 5, 2005 6:28pm
Thread
Cool stamp, DebBee. Now come up to Asheville so I get that stamp in an exchange! ;-)

Knit Wit
Re: Brook
Reply to: #2654 by Sits N Knits
Mar 6, 2005 9:10pm
Thread
Quote Did this hitch hiker pass through Gainesville FL? Was it a tiny store bought Santa?
I think it might have been the first hitch hiker that I have found! And where is Gwinnett County located?

Yes - we found Santa today in Canton, GA. (Gwinnett Co. is in GA too - just NE of Atlanta.) I believe he'll be moving on soon...!!

123 Family
Reply to: #2654 by Sits N Knits
Mar 7, 2005 3:43am
Thread
Yes-Santa was from Florida. He was a little store bought santa and he was replanted yesterday in Canton (north Georgia)Brook
Re: GREAT DAY!
Reply to: #2655 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 7, 2005 3:44am
Thread
Where did you go, CR? I was out with a friend ALL Day-from 9:30 AM-7:30 PM.

Brook
Reply to: #2689 by She Runs
Mar 7, 2005 3:45am
Thread
123-you were in the woods with us!!! I didn't replace that stamp in Canton until late yesterday afternoon!!!

Brook
Re: GREAT DAY!
Reply to: #2696 by Brook
Mar 7, 2005 7:01am
Thread
Where did you go, CR? I was out with a friend ALL Day-from 9:30 AM-7:30 PM.

Judith and I went for some mystery boxs! And they were wonderful. Kicked our you know whats but well worth the long hike! it was a beautiful day with great company!

When I logged on to AQ I had a whopping 20 messages! Brook, Cat & the 123 family hit the pavement running yesterday. Almost all my boxs in the Canton/Waleska and a mystery box were found by them!!! Congratulations gang on a great job! I know you were exhausted!

CR
RE: Brook
Reply to: #2697 by Brook
Mar 7, 2005 9:56am
Thread
Quote Message of 580
123-you were in the woods with us!!! I didn't replace that stamp in Canton until late yesterday afternoon!!!

Brook

Great weekend for boxing all around. Brook , I'm not sure whether we were there in the woods on the same day, though - we were there Sunday morning.

Glad to hear eveyone enjoyed the weather...and ... looking at the 10 day forecast, next weekend is looking good too!!

MM of 123 Family
Struck out in Gatlinburg this weekend
Mar 7, 2005 10:19am
Thread
Hey, everyone!
It's great to hear that so many people had a wonderful time boxing this past weekend! We had a nice little getaway in Gatlinburg, which was a much needed break. Lovely weather!

Unfortunately we had no success boxing around there, though. Of 5 boxes I found listed for Gatlinburg/Sevier County, all but 2 are listed as missing. We attempted both of them, to no avail.

The first ("Gatlinburg") was a drive-by. We looked around for it, but had to stop because some guy parked and was just hanging out in his car smoking, talking on his cell phone and listening to music. There was no avoiding his gaze and he wouldn't leave. We finally had to give up. That one may still be there, but we couldn't find it. I must admit we are starting to actively dislike drive-by boxes. Don't these people have anything better to do?? ;)

The second clue ("Smoky Fir") simply made no sense. We found where the trail should be, but it's called something different, and several aspects of the clue just didn't fit. I'm guessing that the terrain has changed a good deal since the clue was posted? I'm going to e-mail the poster.

So, no luck on the letterboxing front. Oh, well. It looks like most of the Sevier county boxes used to be in the Smokies. Perhaps the Smokies rangers are very strict about letterboxing in the park? I wouldn't be surprised- it's a shame from a letterboxing point of view, but that poor park is already so overused (often abused), I can understand the park rangers' point of view. What wonderful hikes, though! We hiked the Alum Cave Bluffs trail up to the tunnel yesterday and it was GORGEOUS. Lots of snow and ice in places, too. Just lovely.

KitCat
Pictures
Mar 7, 2005 4:53pm
Pictures for our F100 trip have been loaded on the LbSE board. Thanks to Cherokee Rose and Red's Bunch for a great day!
Re: Struck out in Gatlinburg this weekend
Reply to: #2706 by KitCat
Mar 7, 2005 4:56pm
Thread
Sorry you had bad luck this weekend. Since the Smokies are a Natl. Park, you may be right that the boxes have been confiscated by the Rangers. Technically boxes aren't even supposed to be placed there.

I haven't made it over to Gatlinburg yet even though I live "just over the mountains" in Asheville but I'll bear in mind what you said about the boxes there.

Knit Wit
Boxes in North GA mountains?
Mar 9, 2005 9:24pm
Thread
So, I have wondered: why are there not more boxes planted in North GA, particularly in the mountains? There are such wonderful hikes up there. . . when I started thinking of planting boxes, I immediately thought of some of our favorite places in North GA. But the fact that there is very little up there now makes me wonder. . . is it simply because no one has had the inclination to plant more boxes there? Or is there a problem with the park system not wanting boxes?

I am still fuzzy on park policy and letterboxing- there are State Parks, National Parks, National Forest, Wildlife Preserves, Wildlife Management Areas, Game Lands. . . the list goes on, and many times one area may hold two or more of these titles. I've heard that National Parks are pretty strictly out-of-bounds, but what about National Forest? I know there is at least one geocache somewhere on a trail where I'd like to plant, since we met some cachers hiking there when we went to scout a location. But I realize it's presence doesn't necessarily mean boxing is "allowed".

Any thoughts on this?? Thanks!
KitCat
new box
Mar 9, 2005 10:32pm
If ya'll happen to be in North Florida, stop by the Coffee Culture cafe. And see if you can find a book I left there.
Re: Boxes in North GA mountains?
Reply to: #2819 by KitCat
Mar 9, 2005 11:11pm
Thread
Quote I've heard that National Parks are pretty strictly out-of-bounds, but what about National Forest?

The NPS has absolutely no jurisdiction over national forests so there's no need to fear the NPS in a national forest. I'm not sure if national forest have an official policy or not or if it might vary from forest to forest, but it's definitely not NPS territory. =)

-- Ryan
Dee and Abby
Mar 10, 2005 5:19am
Please contact me via email for address verification so that I may get a PLB (Music of the 1950's) sent your way. Thank you!

Liz
letterboxer@cox.net
Mar 10, 2005 5:21am
Thread
There are not nearly as many letterboxes in the N Ga mountians as there are down here, but there are a decent amount scattered from East to West. Here are all that I know of:

An Excellent Adventure (2)
Hemlock Falls
Moccasin Creek
Panther Creek (2)
TM College Series (2)
TMAC Letterbox
Restless Dreams
Conspicuous In His Absence
and Stormy Skies is pretty much on the border.
There is at least one more Mystery box that I will not list.
Restless Dreams is a mental challenge, but all 4 given options are in the N Ga mountains.

I would agree, there is room for more boxes for sure. Most of the Georgia boxers live near Atlanta, and I doubt any of us get to the mountains as often as we would like. As far as National Forest, I wouldn't worry about that at all. They certainly are not policed like parks, and many people actually live in them. As I understand it, they are protected from clearing live trees, but that is about it. People own land inside National Forest, but I don't think you can buy, or build in them, the owners are grandfathered in. Again, I have not researched this, but it is what I have been told over the years. Please, give us more boxes to hike to!

Eli
Mar 10, 2005 5:49am
Thread
Q. why are there not more boxes planted in North GA, particularly in the mountains?

A. I too have thought of this. I actually lived in the mountains for a few years and know of several wonderful places. But, I also know the extensive hiks to get to most of them! And, keeping a proper check on any box I place would require more time than I am willing to give right now. I do have one up there but when my son graduates from college it will be pulled and replanted closer to Atlanta.

The parks service people up there are usually great. They don't usually bother people. But, there is a lot of hunting up there and a lot of bear, deer and other wild life. While the animals are in other places we hide box's at, I am all too knowledgeable with the extent of the bears in the mountains. And, I personally don't want to meet up with them again any time soon!

My humble opinion.

CR
CR new boxes and my loooooooooonnnnnnng lunch break!
Mar 10, 2005 10:49am
Thread
OK, I get really excited when Cherokee Rose plants a new box because I love the FF gifts that she makes and her stamps are always nice!
So this morning when I saw that she had planted 2 boxes, yesterday... And they're right down the road from my office, I got REALLY excited! Then realized that I didn't have my backpack (ie:logbook, stamp, etc.) :(
So after pondering the idea, I decided that I would drive 18 miles home to get my bag, 18 miles back to the park to get FF on these boxes... Even if I would be late back to work.
When I pulled up to the park I had 25 minutes before I HAD to be back!
I started walking towards the trails and the men working at the park were looking at me strange! Maybe because I am dressed in my office slack, sweater and heels! LOL!
I am running through the mud in heels and when I found the first box it seemed to take me forever to stamp in but I got thru it! The second box however - everything went wrong as to add to my lateness! The wind blew my baggies away (I got them back!) I got mud everywhere and dropped all of my markers! After stamping in I hauled booty back to the car and took my little Miata as fast as it could go to get back to work.
See I knew my boss had a meeting at 1pm and that I need to be here to great them. I have an hour for lunch - I left at 11:40 and didn't get back until 1:15, you do the math!
Anyway I am VERY EXCITED to have gottten FF on these and I will NEVER leave my bag at home again!
Great lunch, thank CR!!

Dee
Carving
Mar 10, 2005 11:22am
Thread
I just did my first ever attempt at stamp carving! It was fun (now to see if it will turn out right). I THINK it is all carved, although I haven't been able to get ahold of a stamp pad to try it out. After awhile it looked like a lumpy pink pad. I am HOPING it will look like an eagle's head. We will see...

Brook
Re: Carving
Reply to: #2848 by Brook
Mar 10, 2005 11:25am
Thread
Brook use a marker if you have one. Once I think I am finished - I often get the ink on to see it better and then may need to do a little more.
Dee
Reply to: #2848 by Brook
Mar 10, 2005 11:44am
Thread
Quote I THINK it is all carved, although I haven't been able to get ahold of a stamp pad to try it out.

You could do what they did in National Treasure to make an impression when you're lacking an ink pad. Just need a little blood to make it work. ;o)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #2850 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 11:47am
Thread
Ryan - send us some of yours and we'll use that!
Reply to: #2850 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 12:03pm
Thread
You could do what they did in National Treasure to make an impression when you're lacking an ink pad. Just need a little blood to make it work. ;o)

-- Ryan

Hmm...now WHERE did I leave that old boxcutter?

Brook