A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Reading Room

Re: Reading Challenge Anyone??
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #969848 by Mama Stork
Jan 4, 2019 10:08am
Thread
Every summer our Seattle Library has a reading bingo card challenge and you are to read the books and get a Bingo. Of course, being a BIG reader, I usually do the Black out of the card and read everything. Sometimes the different categories are challenging to me. They usually always have a "read something out of your comfort zone" Blah. Poetry and graphic novels are always a challenge for me, but luckily they are usually quite short and quick to get through! LOL

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: Reading Challenge Anyone??
Reply to: #969848 by Mama Stork
Jan 4, 2019 5:38pm
Thread
Doing the PopSugar challenge again—plus personal goal of 95 books for the year (including audiobooks).
Re: Self published?
Reply to: #969981 by Mama Stork
Jan 5, 2019 3:17am
Thread
My granddaughter, Buttermilk, wrote, illustrated, and self-published a book as part of her Girl Scout Gold Award. The title - Saving KB: The Story of Karner Blue. It is the story of New Hampshire's both state and federally endangered state butterfly - the Karner Blue. She was 17 years old when she did this. The book is for sale on Amazon.
Reply to: #969981 by Mama Stork
Jan 5, 2019 9:03am
Thread
I have many self published novels :)
http://francespauli.com
Reply to: #970050 by Vandisar
Jan 5, 2019 1:36pm
Thread
Also some very intriguing choices! Thanks for sharing--can't wait to delve into some of these
Do I really need this book?
Feb 6, 2019 6:11am
Thread
So...... I am busy. I have at least three books Meddling Kids, They Dared Returned, and thanks to Amanda, Priceless, on top of editing my next book in the wings. But.....I just saw a movie preview of My Cousin Rachel and I am intrigued. Really intrigued. But, do I really need this book????

The bibliophile in me says “yes”. The sensible person in me says “no”....

Aughhhhhh

Csk
Re: Do I really need this book?
Reply to: #971124 by Captain Slick Kitty
Feb 6, 2019 7:12am
Thread
Yes, yes you do need it. The book will patiently wait for you to find the time for it and doesn't need much--just a small space
Feb 6, 2019 7:33am
Thread
Oooohhh, I read Meddling Kids from one of Amanda's lists and it was good! Then I read his previous book The Supernatural Enhancements which I liked even more. Maybe there will be a sequel to that one. Couldn't get in to This Body's Not Big Enough For Both Of Us. I'll have to try later. That's my two cents on Edgar Cantero.
Reply to: #971129 by Mama Stork
Feb 6, 2019 7:51am
Thread
Yes, yes you do need it. The book will patiently wait for you to find the time for it and doesn't need much--just a small space

It's that sort of thinking that found me moving thousands of books half way across the country last fall. Books are heavy especially when they're in cahoots with each other inside boxes.
The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
Feb 6, 2019 11:26am
Thread
Has anyone read this?

I am dying to talk about it and determine if anyone thought about it as much after they finished as I did. . . .
Re: The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
Reply to: #971140 by Sleeps In Socks
Feb 6, 2019 2:32pm
Thread
Yes, I read it several months ago and found the whole construct fascinating!
Feb 6, 2019 7:03pm
Thread
I say
YES, you need Cousin Rachel also.....have you seen the show yet?? https://youtu.be/Gp_8OYkGds0

-Amanda
Reply to: #971159 by Amanda from Seattle
Feb 6, 2019 8:45pm
Thread
That’s the trailer I saw that has triggered my internal debate..... Rachel Weisz looks like she owns this role. But I have only seen the trailer.

Csk
Feb 7, 2019 6:36am
Thread
Local libraries are good for these kind of things. ;)
Re: The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
Reply to: #971148 by Yumgirl
Feb 7, 2019 7:21am
Thread
I liked the construct, and I liked that it took me a bit of time to really figure out what was going on. . . a bit like our narrator. I read a fair amount, and I usually am able to jump ahead a bit with a good idea of where the book is going. This book took me some time to sort out.

I also liked that it made me think about my own reactions. I tried to decide how I would react to something like what Anna did prior to heading to the house.

My only frustration was with the inclusion of Silver Tear. It seemed rather late in the story to add that character and possibly like an added obstacle which wasn't really needed.
The Taking of K-129
Feb 13, 2019 5:54pm
Thread
So I just finished reading The Taking of K-129: How the CIA Used Howard Hughes to Steal a Russian Sub in the Most Daring Covert Operation in History. It's a non-fiction account of a very real CIA operation to grab a Russian sub in the early 1970s. I'd never heard of this before--although the operation had been outed decades ago. But to be fair, I was a newborn when the event was made public and didn't watch the news much back then.

Anyhow, as much as I enjoy historical stories, they can still sometimes be dry with unnecessary details or large period of times when nothing really happens, but this one absolutely sucked me in. It reads like a script of a Hollywood spy movie. Absolutely engrossing, close calls, and an engineering marvel.

If you like historical stories (I'm talking to you, Old Blue!), you'll love this one. It's absolutely awesome. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Re: The Taking of K-129
Reply to: #971423 by Green Tortuga
Feb 13, 2019 9:21pm
Thread
I saw a PBS show about this. I'm sure that the book has many more details, as books almost always do.
Re: Has anyone read about Konmari?
Reply to: #896593 by The hicks from the sticks
Feb 16, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
I read this book several years ago too. I am committed to doing this now. Finished clothing. Done with cookbooks. The rest of my book collections are next.
Reply to: #971603 by speedsquare
Feb 16, 2019 6:24pm
Thread
Good Luck! It got to overwhelming for me. But I did make some huge changes.

~Aurora
Reply to: #971603 by speedsquare
Feb 17, 2019 3:12pm
Thread
I pick and choose what works for me. The thought of limiting my books to only 30 or so DOES NOT bring joy!!

But, my closet and drawers are wonderful!

We've enjoyed watching her Netflix series
Reply to: #971658 by Mama Stork
Feb 17, 2019 5:01pm
Thread
That woman is laughing all the way to the bank.

And you can go to one of her seminars for $2700 bucks. Yup, alllllll the way to the bank! lol!!
Reply to: #971658 by Mama Stork
Feb 17, 2019 5:33pm
Thread
30 books will not work for me either. What I like most about her style is to go through clutter by category. I enjoy the memes out there since we don’t have Netflix.
Reply to: #971665 by speedsquare
Feb 22, 2019 11:55am
Thread
I really like her general philosophy. Sure, maybe "does it spark joy?" sounds silly, but I just moved house a few weeks ago, and I got rid of SO MUCH STUFF. I was packing it and thinking about this book, which made me ask myself, "why do I have this?"

Do I really need 7 boxes of crayons? Books I will never read again? A cookie press? No, I do not.
Reply to: #971957 by CoffeeSpoons
Feb 23, 2019 5:02am
Thread
which made me ask myself, "why do I have this?"

Watching the NetFlix series really helped me with this concept--I'm learning to ask myself WHY I am holding on to certain things. If it is something with legitimate sentimental value, I am looking for unique ways to display it so that I get the most out of it rather than stuffing everything into boxes.

We're in a transitional stage of our life--kids are going to college, moving out, so we are doing some remodeling and major decluttering. Feels good to see my house become a comfortable home again. Wish I had done this about 20 years ago!
Reply to: #971957 by CoffeeSpoons
Feb 23, 2019 4:38pm
Thread
I, too, appreciate her philosophy. I haven't blessed my cast-offs, because I generally look at the item(s) and say, "well you are fully depreciated; time to go!" I donated 5 bags of clothing (and we generally don't have too many to start with). I'm just about done with books. I met an author who wanted to see my cast-off cookbook collection the other day. He offered me $10 for half my bag. Win/Win! Our neighborhood has an annual yard sale. I regularly donate books to the library sale, but I might wait until after the yard sale to donate the remainder. I've set a new boundary - all our books have to fit in the living room cases. I have about 40% free space now. As I uncover books from other rooms, I am able to gather like items to future category sorts. This has been very motivating. If I can make some money from the yard sale this year I am purchasing a commercial vaccuum! I'm afraid my cast-offs that I store in the basement for the next few months will be so numerous, that I'll have to slow-down. Bonus ... DH is quoting KM and seems to be on board.
Reply to: #972061 by speedsquare
Feb 23, 2019 6:44pm
Thread
I have read her and I have seen the shows and I always need a nudge to not be on the next episode of HOARDERS......Books are always an issue. But I do get rid of most of them now. I only keep my series books (Nancy Drew etc) and the books I read on a daily basis, they are generally from the library, so they go in and out of the house anyway. I keep very few books just for me. Clothes, I have been getting more KonMari about....cause I used to keep stuff, just cause it was part of an outfit or I might need it for cold weather or camping or whatever, so now, ---oh it does not spark joy, great it goes out!! LOL